Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Plautus wrote: »
    Ah seriously now. Seriously. When did liberal become a dirty word outside of the United States?

When the Left drove our economy into the ground and decided to redistribute all the wealth in the country to protect a despised minority who are forced to wear pinstrip suits and ...oh. Hang on....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

terrlobe wrote: »
    you fail to recognise their distinct cultural need to live with their own people is a less confined space. This is the crux of the blatant discrimination... they are different to us and need to get away from us in to a safe environment to heal their suffrage and thrive as a group. This however requires investment and their oppressors refuse to budge. Reminiscent of the Protestant Ascendancy attitude towards Catholics which we've all forgotten about.

I work in an enviornment where i interact with members of the travelling community on a regular basis and whilst i would always try not to be discriminatory my experience with them unfortunately has taught me otherwise. Not all travellers are bad and pavee point do them no service by repeatedly refusing to acknowledge the levels of criminality within the travelling community.

Leaving this aside i would love for someone to give me an explanation why i bust my arse working hard, paying taxes for rent refuse collection esb etc so they can get it for nothing. It is not the job of the taxpayer to provide for their "cultural needs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

you fail to recognise their distinct cultural need to live with their own people is a less confined space.

I know exactly what I see.

The example tonight was a very confined space that they were moaning about not getting the amenities just because they decided that land was where they wanted to plomp their arses on.

This is the crux of the blatant discrimination...

I watched the interview and stated as I saw it from my viewpoint. You say "discrimination", I say it how it is.
    they are different to us and need to get away from us in to a safe environment to heal their suffrage and thrive as a group. This however requires investment and their oppressors refuse to budge. Reminiscent of the Protestant Ascendancy attitude towards Catholics which we've all forgotten about.

Ask them to cash in the copper they (or their cousins/brothers/sisters) have been robbing and I'm sure they'll get on just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

It being your opinion doesn't make it immune from being discriminatory. Such as telling traveller families you don't know and have never met to go and cash in the copper that their relatives have been thieving :/

I take people as I find them, case by case. There is no way that all travellers are criminals. And as long as that's true, it's unfair to lump the bad together with the good before seeing what an individual or family are like. Basic common-sense, not 'liberal do-gooder wooly thinking'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

It being your opinion doesn't make it immune from being discriminatory. Such as telling traveller families you don't know and have never met to go and cash in the copper that their relatives have been thieving :/

I take people as I find them, case by case. There is no way that all travellers are criminals. And as long as that's true, it's unfair to lump the bad together with the good before seeing what an individual or family are like. Basic common-sense, not 'liberal do-gooder wooly thinking'.

Yeah true the last quote from me was out of order.

I'll remove myself from this thread now for the better to all

• Advertisement

red dave wrote: »
    Yeah true the last quote from me was out of order.

I'll remove myself from this thread now for the better to all

Ah, you don't need to do that given that you've apologised for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm loving Matt Cooper's spikey hair, he is a man whose appearance seems to improve with age :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

vinny is still angry with us about our ( wrong headed ) attitude to tinkers , hes like a secular pc priest berating us from the pulpit

You agree then with what were some very sweeping, bigoted statements floating around twitter last night like 'dirty knackers' :/

You agree then with what were some very sweeping, bigoted statements floating around twitter last night like 'dirty knackers' :/

i never agree with vincent browne about anything , hes an idiot of the highest order , besides , how can you be bigoted against someone who is irish , white and catholic , not too many protestant or jewish tinkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Yeah he is fairly angry,
    why is he so sympathetic to travellers?
    I think they should not be all tarred with the same brush because there are decent people among them...
    but unfortunately there are alot of unsavoury characters among them too.

Yes some of the settled community are no better I agree.

But lets stop trying to be so Politically correct on the issue..
    Thats what has got this country where it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Barry fcuking Cowen:mad::mad:

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i never agree with vincent browne about anything , hes an idiot of the highest order , besides , how can you be bigoted against someone who is irish , white and catholic , not too many protestant or jewish tinkers

I'd have to ask why you watch his programme then if you're going to dismiss everything he says as idiotic 'of the highest order'. I'm a fan of the programme not because I think Vincent is right all the time but because I do think he produces a good show and asks good questions about Irish society and politics.

Vincent might be wrong about the percentage, but a majority of tweets sent into the show last night were very sweeping in their judgement and it's laughable to try and defend them.

Not making sweeping assumptions about all travellers is where 'political correctness', or basic decency as I like to call it, begins and ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Yeah he's the idiot :rolleyes:

Don't touch the Children's Allowance Mrs :mad:

why not touch childerns allowance?

fatalll wrote: »
    Yeah he is fairly angry,
    why is he so sympathetic to travellers?
    I think they should not be all tarred with the same brush because there are decent people among them...
    but unfortunately there are alot of unsavoury characters among them too.

Yes some of the settled community are no better I agree.

Thats what has got this country where it is...

like most pc liberals , vinny believes that some particular social groups ( aprooved sacred cows ) are inherently vulnerable , deserving of unconditional respect and have a right to support from the hated middle class

The self employed returns will be brutal

why not touch childerns allowance?
    I think Children's Allowance shouldn't be paid to super wealthy people but for the rest of us ordinary people, we use it to pay for child care or our children's education. I'm sure there are a lot of unfortunate people out there too who depend on it to part pay for the roof over their children's heads.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think Children's Allowance shouldn't be paid to super wealthy people but for the rest of us ordinary people, we use to to pay for child care or our children's education. I'm sure there are a lot of unfortunate people out there too who depend on it to part pay for the roof over their children's heads.

I agree some people need it yes, its hard to allow for those situations though.
    You will always be hitting the most vulnerable unfortunately.

But personally i think a little bit of everything should be cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah but religion and race aren't the only things that somebody can be bigoted towards. How can anyone deny that there is a lot of discrimination leveled at travelers? It may make sense to some to brush every single gypo as a law-breaking scummer, but it isn't the case. If they were Protestant or Jewish then most people would see that sort of tarring as discrimination.

I'd have to ask why you watch his programme then if you're going to dismiss everything he says as idiotic 'of the highest order'. I'm a fan of the programme not because I think Vincent is right all the time but because I do think he produces a good show and asks good questions about Irish society and politics.

Vincent might be wrong about the percentage, but a majority of tweets sent into the show last night were very sweeping in their judgement and it's laughable to try and defend them.

Not making sweeping assumptions about all travellers is where 'political correctness', or basic decency as I like to call it, begins and ends.

has it ever occured to you ( or vincent ) that its not for the craic , the majority of people are very wary about travellers , i think brownes trenchant , blinkered views on travellers are at best deluded and at worst dangerous , its browne who needs a reality check on this issue , he does nothing to help the travelling community by constantly telling them that its the big bad settled community who are racist and need to adapt to traveller culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

like most pc liberals , vinny believes that some particular social groups ( aprooved sacred cows ) are inherently vulnerable , deserving of unconditional respect and have a right to support from the hated middle class

He was discussing the extremely poor conditions that some of the members of that community were living in. Your so blinded by your prejudice that you ignore the actual point of the program and argue a strawman just to have something to rant about.

Face it your a bigot and little else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

But lets stop trying to be so Politically correct on the issue.. Thats what has got this country where it is...

It's about time Vincent did a show covering the real Travellers issues.. You'll notice than none of the Traveller men of working age appeared in front of the camera last night... They push the women and children in front of the camera to evoke sympathy from the public... Why didnt Vincent interview the Traveller men and ask them why didnt THEY clean up the site (instead of complaining about the council).. Vincent should realise that 80% of Irish people are not racist, but 80% of the people of Ireland are sick of indulging the Travelling community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Take the hatchet to childrens allowance. Means test it. The CWO's would be well able to do that. They already have means tests on all medical card holders. About 40% of population (bit of a guess).

That Lady with the Red hair has not got a clue..
    what would she do to create jobs, where would she et the money etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think Children's Allowance shouldn't be paid to super wealthy people but for the rest of us ordinary people, we use it to pay for child care or our children's education for 2 weeks in Tenerife. I'm sure there are a lot of unfortunate people out there too who depend on it to part pay for the roof over their children's heads.

You're dead right there :D

Barry has the same gruff mannerism as his disgraced brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Means testing in this country is expensive and time consuming. There has to be a more efficient way.

• Advertisement

Yeah but religion and race aren't the only things that somebody can be bigoted towards. How can anyone deny that there is a lot of discrimination leveled at travelers? It may make sense to some to brush every single gypo as a law-breaking scummer, but it isn't the case. If they were Protestant or Jewish then most people would see that sort of tarring as discrimination.

discrimination and bigotry are not the same thing and the likes of browne uses the word bigotry to silence debate on the issue of anti social behaviour within the travelling community , silencing debate on sacred cows is a key pc liberal trait

i dont remember anyone saying each and every single traveller is up to no good but the reality is that thier is a hugely disproportionate level of criminality within the travelling community , something like 12% of travellers are in prison and nearly ninety percent of travellers are unemployed , i seriously doubt that even a place like sherriff street have figures comparable to those

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement