Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Who is the hot lass next to Vinny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Coveney is getting bossed by the USI head tonight.

Sarah is stepping in to defend him now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It is truly ridiculous that the Government is funding people to do nonsense degrees in Latin and Greco-Roman wrestling ... They should limit the types of courses that State funding is provided for..

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Who is the hot lass next to Vinny?

The wonderful Sarah McInerney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very nice.

• Advertisement

sarahmcinerneyvb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Skid wrote: »
    Coveney is getting bossed by the USI head tonight.

Sarah is stepping in to defend him now!

Usi guy does not want the "poor " students to pay for their own education.....

It would be very interesting to know how much these "poor " students spend on alcohol... there seems to be no limit to what they can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A woman on the tv and the dirty aul felas on here salivate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

brownswiss wrote: »

It would be very interesting to know how much these "poor " students spend on alcohol... there seems to be no limit to what they can afford
    :):)
    http://free-education.info/phoenix-article-on-usi-president-gary-redmond/

University and College Car Parks are overflowing, every student has a car.
    Wasn't like that in my day,I tell you. :)

• Advertisement

A woman on the tv and the dirty aul felas on here salivate.

well, to be fair, they did put Pearse on for you to salivate over as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

well, to be fair, they did put Pearse on for you to salivate over as well..

After a while it gets a bit pervy, sexist and inappropriate for older men to keep going on about women on the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

After a while it gets a bit pervy, sexist and inappropriate for older men to keep going on about women on the tv.
    Don't get carried away, most of us on here haven't hit 30 yet. I've read the comments about Sarah, when did the words "Nice" and "Wonderful" become inappropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you don't hear us harping on about the oul wan that was at the far end!!
    we're VERY selective.

Skid wrote: »
    University and College Car Parks are overflowing, every student has a car.
    Wasn't like that in my day,I tell you. :)

Where are they getting the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Well, second-hand (nevermind, third, fourth or fifth-hand) cars are cheap and there's been an explosion in student numbers (in UCC at least) of 7,000 students to close on 20,000. There's few registration numbers in the car parks older than 2004/05, and which of those are staff or not is another matter.

So car-parks wouldn't be the best guide to affluence. The number of students on nights out, however ... (although, again, they're very good off-licence customers!)

Students can have a very good night out quite cheaply so I don't think that is an indicator of affluence either.

Indeed. Cut-price alcohol and pre-drinking house parties are where it's at for virtually every student I've met. And then they all try and get into the club before 11/11.30pm when the door charge of 5-10 euro is levied.

Plautus wrote: »
    Indeed. Cut-price alcohol and pre-drinking house parties are where it's at for virtually every student I've met. And then they all try and get into the club before 11/11.30pm when the door charge of 5-10 euro is levied.
    There are lot of people apart from students doing the pre-drinking thing and just heading straight to clubs.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Students can have a very good night out quite cheaply so I don't think that is an indicator of affluence either.

Maybe... but they have a life that people who are working can not afford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Maybe... but they have a life that people who are working can not afford

When I was going to college, there was only one guy in the whole year who drove to college, and everybody thought it was a great novelty. The bicycle park was always full. A few years back, they had to build an extra car park to accommodate all the students who were now driving in to college. I had to visit the place recently and the bicycle park was practically empty.

Most weeknights, Cork city is full of college kids on the razz. I'm always left scratching my head when they then turn around and complain that they won't be able to continue their studies if student fees are bumped up. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and car ownership has shot up as part of a general trend. Ireland even now, still isn't as poor as it was when ye were going to college ;)

Working people could afford 20 bottles of Budweiser at 15 euro for the lot if they didn't have other obligations. Students might not have a lot of income but a lot more of it is disposable because they don't have kids etc. to consider.

But as far as Redmond and the fees situation goes, I'd actually accept the reintroduction of fees provided the government doesn't take it as an excuse to cut its grant to the universities by the amount it was paying in student tuition fees.

I don't trust the government though. So students would be paying for a service that would, at best, stay the same, and at worse continue to deteriorate.

And if I was to test for financial assistance with fees, it would be that anyone currently qualifying up to the minimum grant (approx. 40% of students) would be eligible for free fees.

Guys, ye are giving students very little credit. Most of the students I know do part-time work to pay their way though college and to fund their social life. Not everyone relies on their parents for handouts.

When I was in college I don't remember that many cars either but I know of two students within my own extended family who drive to college daily as it is cheaper than paying for accomodation, I would also imagine that some of the cars in college carparks belong to mature students (people who are out of work and are currently upskilling) some of these people have young families so they need to return to their families every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I could be wrong but I think a fundamental issue here is the ease with which college support grants are dished out by the various councils. Back in the day, I knew of several people who were getting grants despite living at home with their folks who were (or at least one of them would have been) in very well paid jobs. It was a known thing at the time and from what I hear the system is still being abused, especially the grant for students who live more than something like 15 miles from college. This grant is for thousands every year, but yet the distance submitted by applicants does not seem to be verified by the council, not to mind the fact that there's no obligation that the applicant can't just commute from home rather than renting near the college.

MrThrifty wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think a fundamental issue here is the ease with which college support grants are dished out by the various councils. Back in the day, I knew of several people who were getting grants despite living at home with their folks who were (or at least one of them would have been) in very well paid jobs. It was a known thing at the time and from what I hear the system is still being abused, especially the grant for students who live more than something like 15 miles from college. This grant is for thousands every year, but yet the distance submitted by applicants does not seem to be verified by the council, not to mind the fact that there's no obligation that the applicant can't just commute from home rather than renting near the college.
    That is a good point. I never qualified for a grant when I was at college but there were students in my year who were in receipt of the grant even though their parents were successful business people, it seemed very unfair at the time. I also remember there were students getting full grants while living at at home with their parents but used the addresses of family or friends to qualify for the grant. These things always seemed to be taken at face value though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

That is a good point. I never qualified for a grant when I was at college but there were students in my year who were in receipt of the grant even though their parents were successful business people, it seemed very unfair at the time. I also remember there were students getting full grants while living at at home with their parents but used the addresses of family or friends to qualify for the grant. These things always seemed to be taken at face value though.

The sons and daughters of PAYE workers were always screwed when it came to qualifying for grants. Self-employed people can always massage their figures with the help of a half-decent accountant; not to mention the farmers. There were plenty of farmers' sons and daughters on my course and not one of them paid a penny in fees. ;)

The sons and daughters of PAYE workers were always screwed when it came to qualifying for grants. Self-employed people can always massage their figures with the help of a half-decent accountant; not to mention the farmers. There were plenty of farmers' sons and daughters on my course and not one of them paid a penny in fees. ;)
    I completely agree, I had a few agri cousins who had no problem accessing grants :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Lovely lovely Sarah...... Mmmmmmmm.....
    Looks like she had a go with the GHD for us tonight.. lovely..
    Spudmonkey wrote: »
    And the effort doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated... :)
    Sarah McInerney is a fantastic looking woman. :pac:

+1000,MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    What on earth is Sarah wearing? She looks like she is in mourning :eek: :eek: :eek:

You're only jealous!;):p:D

jimmyw wrote: »
    You're only jealous!;):p:D

No, I'm not jealous :D Sarah is a very good looking woman but why was she dressed in black lace last night? She was like a widow in mourning :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well she was a bit mournful looking alright, nicer if she was in red or something, but we have to find beauty where we can:p.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement