Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

SB-08 wrote: »
    Tonight with Mario is a new series?

No, it was all repeats of his Vincent sketches, sadly.

(And an extended advert for Mario's new DVD)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It's a what if situation...totally irrelevant.
    The poor man's life could have been completely destroyed so personally I feel he was exceptionally lucky he could provide enough proof to clear his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The poor man's life could have been completely destroyed so personally I feel he was exceptionally lucky he could provide enough proof to clear his name.

It's an irrelevance to mention rape. Breda's intention is to push the knife further into RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Ah, but that's a clever suggestion of inevitable innocence.

the priest could well have raped the girl and she could have become pregnant months later by someone else - a time line he would know.

not saying he has, just saying it's possible

Could that be said about anyone in contact with her.
    Was there other evidence of suspicion or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Could that be said about anyone in contact with her.
    Was there other evidence of suspicion or something.
    dont know.

but my point is they are two separate elements.

he was accused of both, so it failed.

but that does not mean it was impossible for him to have committed rape as Breda was suggesting

• Advertisement

Breda pulls in the teeth. she must have got a text from his 'oliness

Breda is only delighted this happened.

which Climate Breda?

dont know.

but my point is they are two separate elements.

he was accused of both, so it failed.

but that does not mean it was impossible for him to have committed rape as Breda was suggesting

I'm just wondering where the validity of a suspicion of rape is.

I'm just wondering where the validity of a suspicion of rape is.
    Breda was suggesting that the priest was without doubt innocent. it was a touch of fancy foot work

but a paternity test does not prove innocence of rape.

she put the two together.

I'm not talking about suspicion , i'm talking about what's possible and not possible and the use of verbal slight of hand by Breda.

• Advertisement

Vinny 'smack that beetch up'.*

em song lyric only, honest

One mistake, albeit a very big mistake by RTE, pails into comparison for the damage caused by the Catholic Church in Ireland and around the world.

The priest had a cheek to compare the two institutions.

Breda was suggesting that the priest was without doubt innocent. it was a touch of fancy foot work

but a paternity test does not prove innocence of rape.

she put the two together.

I'm not talking about suspicion , i'm talking about what's possible and not possible and the use of verbal slight of hand by Breda.

Right.
    But the guy is innocent until proven guilty of either fathering a child or rape. He is innocent (until proven otherwise) of both. At least in the eyes of the law.
    Isn't he.
    She didn't say anything out of line in that sense.

it think it'd be best if RTE did could release who their informant was.

he/she must have had significant credibility. (rte are not that clueless)
    sure the informant got the fatherhood thing wrong. but i wonder bout the rest of it. why did he/she say what he/she did? there the real story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I think it's her insinuating that he is categorically innocent of committing rape, without at all acknowledging the true ambiguity of the situation

it think it'd be best if RTE did could release who their informant was.

he/she must have had significant credibility. (rte are not that clueless)
    sure the informant got the fatherhood thing wrong. but i wonder bout the rest of it. why did he/she say what he/she did? there the real story

This is what I wonder...I missed the programme, but did the priest do anything...well out of character for a priest in Kenya?

Right.
    But the guy is innocent until proven guilty of either fathering a child or rape. He is innocent (until proven otherwise) of both. At least in the eyes of the law.
    Isn't he.
    Breda stated that he was fortunate that he was accused of both rape and paternity and that the paternity proved otherwise. but it didnt. it only proved he was not father to her child.
    but she was implying it proved both.
    (by saying if he had only being accused of rape an innocent man would have been done for)

not sure i can make myself any clearer, so this is my last attempt. :)

Jess16 wrote: »
    I think it's her insinuating that he is categorically innocent of committing rape, without at all acknowledging the true ambiguity of the situation

This is what i'm wondering about. Where was the ambiguity.
    I couldn't give a ****e about this guy. I'm just having difficulty reconciling this with "innocent until proven guilty".

Breda stated that he was fortunate that he was accused of both rape and paternity and that the paternity proved otherwise. but it didnt. it only proved he was not father to her child.

You're wrong, watch it back. She said that he was lucky that he was accused of fathering a child and that he could prove he didn't. She also said that if he had been accused of rape it may have been very difficult to prove his innocence.

This is what i'm wondering about. Where was the ambiguity.
    I couldn't give a ****e about this guy. I'm just having difficulty reconciling this with "innocent until proven guilty".

Well just because there isn't enough evidence to convict somebody in a court of law doesn't necessarily mean an offence didn't take place

• Advertisement

You're wrong, watch it back. She said that he was lucky that he was accused of fathering a child and that he could prove he didn't. She also said that if he had been accused of rape it may have been very difficult to prove his innocence.
    bit stronger than that i thought, but will have to check.

either way, isn't the implication vividly clear?

that if it had 'only' being rape, a man so wrongly accused would have great difficulty proving his innocence.

Well just because there isn't enough evidence to convict somebody in a court of law doesn't necessarily mean an offence didn't take place
    Well if you are found innocent by a jury of your peers that should be the end of the matter.

Well if you are found innocent by a jury of your peers that should be the end of the matter.

And for all intents and purposes, it is. However, it would be naive to think that the courts don't sometimes get it wrong

would have being nice to see it go to court alright - all the way, ie beyond the settlement steps.

i suspect the solicitor will drop the 'who was the accuser' buzz pretty sharpish, but maybe not...

Paternity test showing no evidence of paternity arguably strengthens the argument of no rape. Legally they saw it that way: any accusation of rape was dismissed (as i understand it).

And for all intents and purposes, it is. However, it would be naive to think that the courts don't sometimes get it wrong
    Agreed, but if you are found innocent, you have the right to leave court without a stain on your character (in relation to the offence you were charged with anyway)

Paternity test showing no evidence of paternity arguably strengthens the argument of no rape. Legally they saw it that way: he wasn't accused of rape.
    :confused:

Paternity test showing no evidence of paternity arguably strengthens the argument of no rape. Legally they saw it that way: he wasn't charged of rape.
    He wasnt charged with anything.

he was of course accused by rte of rape and fathering a child which he abandoned

eta, anyway, bedtime

to summarise, rte messed up, but the whole truth of this is something i'd like to see. was the informant malicious? insane? i dunno. and perhaps will never will
    nite all

Breda shouldn't have mentioned the word rape. Simple as that.

• Advertisement

:confused:

Sorry i meant the accusation of rape was found to be wrong legally. :pac:

All i'm saying is legally the accusation of rape was dismissed (obviously on the strength of the paternity test, among all the other evidence).
    That reporter saw it that way.
    In other words, the paternity test was not immaterial in this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement