Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

tumblr_lgld0bvC3w1qce7cdo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

And Pascal seems to be a decent guy, probably one of the more honest of the FG people

He would be grand running the Deli Counter in Spar, but he is miles out of his depth talking about Fiscal and Economic Union.

Ganley has won me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ganley makes some very pertinent points. It's high time that people stopped dismissing his opinions and ideas simply because he is the one espousing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ganley is well able for them. He makes a lot of sense tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Ganley is doing well but he needs a wig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

I dunno, I used to hate Ganley.. but I'm starting to see him in a better light these days..

He does talk some sense.
    But i'm always wondering- how exactly does one describe his politics.

He does talk some sense.
    Declan Ganley is an Irish entrepreneur with an estimated personal fortune of €300 million. He
    has long-held views on European integration: far from being a traditional right-wing
    Eurosceptic, he is actually in favour of greater European integration, but based around pro-business,
    free-market and libertarian ideals.

He's a lot more centrist than many people would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

M cebee wrote: »

Then he would really be taken seriously turning up all of a sudden in a wig

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

laptop went wobbly.

Gangly a joke.

He fought against the idea of further EU integration.

now he knows he wont get elected in Ireland, he's aiming for a Euro seat. He sees the writing on the wall, greater powers ceded to Europe and he wants a slice. so now he's 'cool, long as they are elected, the EU is fine, of of course they should be directing policy'.

Churchill indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

woodoo wrote: »
    M cebee wrote: »

Then he would really be taken seriously turning up all of a sudden in a wig

true
    but he needs hair to be taken seriously
    bald is bad unless you're kojak

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    laptop went wobbly.

Gangly a joke.

He fought against the idea of further EU integration.

He fought against the idea of a certain type of integration.. and continues to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

You lot support a united states of Europe? Ireland losing complete sovereignty? I supported Ganley before but after hearing his nonsense last night he is a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

NinjaK wrote: »
    You lot support a united states of Europe? Ireland losing complete sovereignty? I supported Ganley before but after hearing his nonsense last night he is a clown.
    I was a supporter of Ganly to as i beleived in a european union but not in a europe run by an eastern German shot putter in a suit and and the French who surrendered to every country and then expect other countries to have their citezens killed to free them,now they want to take over europe this way.Ganly seems to think now that their is a killing to be made for big bussiness like Russia in the 90s in a more integrated europe so he is all for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Declan Ganley's aggressive, dictatorial attitude scares the living daylights out of me. Even when I agree with some of his views I just could not bring myself to support him. Listening to him is like a rerun of the Nuremburg rally .... he's very, very scary :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

tipptom wrote: »
    the French who surrendered to every country and then expect other countries to have their citezens killed to free them,now they want to take over europe this way

History wasn't your primary degree, I take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

He does talk some sense.

hes a free marketeer first and foremost , as for his social views , he likes to potray himself as a traditional irish catholic conservative although id be less sure about this side of his politics

Plautus wrote: »
    History wasn't your primary degree, I take it.
    You can take whatever you like and presume to know my education history but i dont know any other country the size of France who let Germany waltze in without any resistance and take over while their brave leader f*ucked of to the bars of Soho in London and then demanded to head all the fighting troops of other countries when they got outside Paris to show the Parisians how he bravely liberated them and now they want to be the ones to take over europe.When Lisbon 3 makes its inevitable way round to us I will not be voting for them to take control,I would rather be tared and feathered like they bravely done to their woman after they made sure the last german left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

You can take whatever you like and presume to know my education history but i dont know any other country the size of France who let Germany waltze in without any resistance and take over while their brave leader f*ucked of to the bars of Soho in London and then demanded to head all the fighting troops of other countries when they got outside Paris to show the Parisians how he bravely liberated them and now they want to be the ones to take over europe.When Lisbon 3 makes its inevitable way round to us I will not be voting for them to take control,I would rather be tared and feathered like they bravely done to their woman after they made sure the last german left.

We, of all people, should know that you can't dam a whole country for the venial, arrogance and cowardice of their leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Callan57 wrote: »
    We, of all people, should know that you can't damp a whole country for the venial, arrogance and cowardice of their leaders.

What !! Was someone going to flood France ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Callan57 wrote: »
    Declan Ganley's aggressive, dictatorial attitude scares the living daylights out of me. Even when I agree with some of his views I just could not bring myself to support him. Listening to him is like a rerun of the Nuremburg rally .... he's very, very scary :mad:

Just watched it and I think he was grinding his teeth at one point. Paschal Donohoe handled him unbelievably well I thought (I'm no FG fan) and to my mind showed Ganley up a bit. The point about German bonds offered at 1.98% not being taken because the predicted inflation was 2% seemed to put a stopper in Ganleys argument but didnt shut him up.

I think Ganley's problem is that when he's found out he'll get angry and start ranting about "you did this and you did that" to try and cover it up. As he did in that show when talking about the lack of confidence in Europe and all the "no time for anything now lets federalise Europe" rant which despite what he thinks cant be done overnight and is the same thing he's known for arguing against. Greater powers for Europe over sovereign states.

Often times he's appeared anti Europe to me in the past and came across as someone who passionatly wants to protect Irelands sovereignty. But the more I listen to him the more apparent it becomes that Irish sovereignty or interests are not the basis for his passion. He's a wannabe American businessman shouting and ranting about turning Europe into America to better suit him and his business regardless of the cost to Irish sovereignty.

• Advertisement

What !! Was someone going to flood France ?
    They might be looking for a "bail"out sooner than we thought so.;)

Yeah. Again. Very, very little of that is true, and the rest is shockingly wrong-headed. I'm doing you a favour to assume you haven't studied history.

They did not 'surrender and let the Germans waltz in'. How on earth can you believe that when 300,000 French soldiers died between May and June 1940 and there were 2 million casualties?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_France

France owes nobody anything ad perpetuam. They were outmanoeuvred in the Ardennes in 1940. They were not at the Marne in 1914. Their military acumen is evident in the Napoleonic era when France effectively ruled the entire European landmass, or, before that, in the coalition wars of the 18th century.

France was, thus, part of shifting alliance blocs from the conclusion of the War of Spanish Succession in 1714. Anyone who lent them support (or fought against them) was adhering to a balance of power calculus, and the principle of containing both French and German hegemony. France was restored in 1944 because it was apt to do so. A victor's peace.

De Gaulle's smoke, mirrors and carousing, meanwhile, is of absolutely no relevance to your argument about eurozone fiscal policy in 2011. All the more so given that De Gaulle's unpopularity nearly caused the collapse of the Fifth Republic in 1968:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_in_France

---

Finally, France and Germany's present behaviour is dictated by two things:

a.) the fact that they are paying the bill
    b.) their elected representatives, whom even they are probably going to eject at the polls next year.

So, with all of that said, I'm glad the Second World War is over, and (would you believe it) it has specious relevance to this topic unless you really do want to sound like a frothing British eurosceptic MEP believing his country deserves kickbacks forever 'cos 'The Empire was wot won it' (when it did not.)

And seeking 'greater fiscal union' is not the same as 'taking over Europe'. Less of the Fourth Reich insanity, please.

Yeah. Again. Very, very little of that is true, and the rest is shockingly wrong-headed. I'm doing you a favour to assume you haven't studied history.

They did not 'surrender and let the Germans waltz in'. How on earth can you believe that when 300,000 French soldiers died between May and June 1940 and there were 2 million casualties?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_France

France owes nobody anything ad perpetuam. They were outmanoeuvred in the Ardennes in 1940. They were not at the Marne in 1914. Their military acumen is evident in the Napoleonic era when France effectively ruled the entire European landmass, or, before that, in the coalition wars of the 18th century.

France was, thus, part of shifting alliance blocs from the conclusion of the War of Spanish Succession in 1714. Anyone who lent them support (or fought against them) was adhering to a balance of power calculus, and the principle of containing both French and German hegemony. France was restored in 1944 because it was apt to do so. A victor's peace.

De Gaulle's smoke, mirrors and carousing, meanwhile, is of absolutely no relevance to your argument about eurozone fiscal policy in 2011. All the more so given that De Gaulle's unpopularity nearly caused the collapse of the Fifth Republic in 1968:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_in_France

---

Finally, France and Germany's present behaviour is dictated by two things:

a.) the fact that they are paying the bill
    b.) their elected representatives, whom even they are probably going to eject at the polls next year.

So, with all of that said, I'm glad the Second World War is over, and (would you believe it) it has specious relevance to this topic unless you really do want to sound like a frothing British eurosceptic MEP believing his country deserves kickbacks forever 'cos 'The Empire was wot won it' (when it did not.)

And seeking 'greater fiscal union' is not the same as 'taking over Europe'. Less of the Fourth Reich insanity, please.
    Well,I hope you are not a history professer with your figures(is this you Kevin Cardiff) because you wouldnt be doing any one any favours with your skewed view of france military bravery in WW11.Most figures puts their military casulties at 122,000 and 40,000 were fighting for the Germans and no French at Normandy while the british and Americans were moving in to free their country.Out of 41,000000 in France,Ireland probably has a higher military casulty deaths per capita.Patton said during the war that he would rather a German division in front of him than a French one behind him.As for De Gaulle,he is very pertinant tothe French view of their bravery as he was elected as their leader for decades as a reward for his part in Hitlers downfall even though it could be argued that Spike Milligan had more to do with it.Interestingly France showed their bravery in Lybia recently when over running the country behind Nato so total oil could gain from1.2 per cent of their oil to an agreed 35 per cent now.As for the "Empire",england fought very bravly during WW11 and no derogatory taunts of "little Englanders"can take that away from them,so less of the British empire insanity.When Lisbon111 is passed there is no doubt that Germany and France will be de facto rulers of Europe which was alway their aim and use the European union(1 billion disapears every year) year to do this,Skarzosy will not be there to see it but if Merkal succeeds in her aims she will be reelected.

Well,I hope you are not a history professer with your figures(is this you Kevin Cardiff) because you wouldnt be doing any one any favours with your skewed view of france military bravery in WW11.Most figures puts their military casulties at 122,000 and 40,000 were fighting for the Germans and no French at Normandy while the british and Americans were moving in to free their country.Out of 41,000000 in France,Ireland probably has a higher military casulty deaths per capita.Patton said during the war that he would rather a German division in front of him than a French one behind him.As for De Gaulle,he is very pertinant tothe French view of their bravery as he was elected as their leader for decades as a reward for his part in Hitlers downfall even though it could be argued that Spike Milligan had more to do with it.Interestingly France showed their bravery in Lybia recently when over running the country behind Nato so total oil could gain from1.2 per cent of their oil to an agreed 35 per cent now.As for the "Empire",england fought very bravly during WW11 and no derogatory taunts of "little Englanders"can take that away from them,so less of the British empire insanity.When Lisbon111 is passed there is no doubt that Germany and France will be de facto rulers of Europe which was alway their aim and use the European union(1 billion disapears every year) year to do this,Skarzosy will not be there to see it but if Merkal succeeds in her aims she will be reelected.

So, amidst that unsourced stream of consciousness, and quotes from the phlegmatic and slightly biased General Patton, where is it true that the 'French surrendered and let the Germans waltz in'?

Casualties are typically counted as injured and prisoners of war. There were approximately 275,000 French injured, and 2,500,000 French POWs. Admittedly, 300,000 is the total number of allied deaths in the May-June campaign and I mis-counted: French casualties still make up at least a third of the number. Oh, but the British evacuated 240,000 soliders at Dunkerque and suffered about 3,000 dead and 15,000 wounded. By your banjaxed logic they're not really brave and did no fighting :(

http://www.1jma.dk/articles/1jmaarticlesfrance.htm

Free French participated in the Normandy landings :/ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Normandy

De Gaulle was elected starting in 1959. He spent a decade (singular) in power to 1969.

Ireland 'probably' (big red flag there) had a higher rate of military deaths per capita than France in the Second World War. Really. Where does this rubbish come from? Your fetid imagination? The European Union isn't to be operated, and the current financial crisis solved, on the basis of who did what during the Second World War!

But enough, let's not drag this thread off-topic. If you want to show me some historical sources any time, PM me.

So, amidst that unsourced stream of consciousness, and quotes from the phlegmatic and slightly biased General Patton, where is it true that the 'French surrendered and let the Germans waltz in'?

Casualties are typically counted as injured and prisoners of war. There were approximately 275,000 French injured, and 2,500,000 French POWs. Admittedly, 300,000 is the total number of allied deaths in the May-June campaign and I mis-counted: French casualties still make up at least a third of the number. Oh, but the British evacuated 240,000 soliders at Dunkerque and suffered about 3,000 dead and 15,000 wounded. By your banjaxed logic they're not really brave and did no fighting :(

http://www.1jma.dk/articles/1jmaarticlesfrance.htm

Free French participated in the Normandy landings :/ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Normandy

De Gaulle was elected starting in 1959. He spent a decade (singular) in power to 1969.

Ireland 'probably' (big red flag there) had a higher rate of military deaths per capita than France in the Second World War. Really. Where does this rubbish come from? Your fetid imagination? The European Union isn't to be operated, and the current financial crisis solved, on the basis of who did what during the Second World War!

But enough, let's not drag this thread off-topic. If you want to show me some historical sources any time, PM me.
    Thank you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone watching tonight.
    Euro crisis again tonight.
    Constantin in his usual form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Anyone watching tonight.
    Euro crisis again tonight.
    Constantin in his usual form.

Where is his cat?:D

jimmyw wrote: »
    Where is his cat?:D

i hear constantin has a small role in the next bond movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Constantine is easier to understand than that guy beside him.

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    Constantine is easier to understand than that guy beside him.

damien english is the kind of rural gombeen politician , cant string a sentence together and good for nothing but mending potholes yet full of his own importance and completley oblivious of his own limited abilitys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement