Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I reckon that's the German woman's lot for the night. She might as well go home now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

"That's very unfair to Brendan Howlin, in fairness

Young Sherlock has some command of our Language, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I wonder why didnt Vincent put that to Taft! i.e. the question of not paying increments in the public sector v. cutting disability
    The Croke park Agreement has to go but it would hurt Vincent's left wing sensibilities to actually pursue this line.

he has just put the question!

+1 , leftys feel uncomfortable at the idea of cutting anyone who works for the state , state workers you see are driven soley by a sense of service , no such thing as greed on the part of the state

"Don't get old, sick or poor"

What exactly was targeted at the old today?

Lazy headline - don't get disabled maybe, but the old are a strong enough lobby group to avoid cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Skid wrote: »
    "That's very unfair to Brendan Howlin, in fairness

Young Sherlock has some command of our Language, to be fair.

He's a comparative genius if you took a cross-section of politicians from the three rural Cork constituencies.

Can you imagine what living out here is like? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

What exactly was targeted at the old today?Lazy headline - don't get disabled maybe, but the old are a strong enough lobby group to avoid cuts.
    The fuel allowance Skid, the fuel allowance !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Bit confused about that disability cut all the same... Are they thinking that people within the parameters are:

1) abusing the benefit?
    2) living at home and not really in need of it?

What exactly was targeted at the old today?

Lazy headline - don't get disabled maybe, but the old are a strong enough lobby group to avoid cuts.

ask ten people about cuts and at least seven of them will include pensioners when trotting out a list of goverment targets , its the default possition to assume the elderly are being hit despite the fact that the only single cut aimed thier way this past four budgets was a reduction period in fuel allowance from 32 weeks to 26 weeks , nothing

Bit confused about that disability cut all the same... Are they thinking that people within the parameters are:

1) abusing the benefit?
    2) living at home and not really in need of it?

Probably no. 2 and some specious argument of bringing about equality in the payment with that of Jobseeker's for 18-21 year olds. Despite disabled 18-21 year olds not being exactly equal with their peers to begin with ...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

Hold on tight, she's off:eek:

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The fuel allowance Skid, the fuel allowance !!!!

A Fuel Allowance is a payment under the National Fuel Scheme to help with the cost of heating your home. It is paid to people who are dependent on long-term social welfare and who are unable to provide for their own heating needs.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/fuel_allowance.html

You may qualify for a Fuel Allowance if you are getting:

State Pension (Contributory) or State Pension (Non-Contributory)
    State Pension (Transition)
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension or Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension
    Incapacity Supplement under the Occupational Injuries Benefit scheme
    Blind Pension
    Invalidity Pension
    Disability Allowance
    Deserted Wife's Benefit or Allowance
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Guardian's Payment (Contributory) or Guardian's Payment (Non-Contributory)
    Farm Assist
    Pre-Retirement Allowance
    Prisoner's Wife's Allowance
    Long-term Jobseeker's Allowance
    Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance
    Social Security Pension from an EE/EEA country or a country with whom Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement
    Special Department of Defence Allowance
    You are taking part in Back to Work Allowance (BTWA), Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA), Rural Social Scheme, Revenue Job Assist or FÁS Community Employment and are entitled to keep your secondary benefits

The Fuel Allowance - it's not just for the old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

How much do they get paid to go on the VB show? The German woman said she had gone through all the papers earlier as research.

Any wonder why she was raging at sitting there for 50 mins as Vinnie entertained himself!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/fuel_allowance.html

You may qualify for a Fuel Allowance if you are getting:

State Pension (Contributory) or State Pension (Non-Contributory)
    State Pension (Transition)
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension or Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension
    Incapacity Supplement under the Occupational Injuries Benefit scheme
    Blind Pension
    Invalidity Pension
    Disability Allowance
    Deserted Wife's Benefit or Allowance
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Guardian's Payment (Contributory) or Guardian's Payment (Non-Contributory)
    Farm Assist
    Pre-Retirement Allowance
    Prisoner's Wife's Allowance
    Long-term Jobseeker's Allowance
    Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance
    Social Security Pension from an EE/EEA country or a country with whom Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement
    Special Department of Defence Allowance
    You are taking part in Back to Work Allowance (BTWA), Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA), Rural Social Scheme, Revenue Job Assist or FÁS Community Employment and are entitled to keep your secondary benefits

The Fuel Allowance - it's not just for the old.
    I'm fully aware of that Skid but the elderly are affected by this cut.

•Fuel Poverty
    Among the key issues that must be addressed is fuel poverty. Shamefully, Ireland has an excess of winter death rate of between 1,500 and 2,000 each year. Many of these are older people, who die mainly of cold-related illnesses because they cannot afford to heat their homes to a comfortable level.
    Age Action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Rather have Ursula as my Camp Commander than the Quigley.

Christ, you just wind Anna Quigley up and let her go..

In other news...

mrsd.jpg

Dear god MrsD... you're not jumping on that Christmas bandwagon already are you..

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm fully aware of that Skid but the elderly are affected by this cut.

As are many others.

They do not have a monopoly on hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Merkozy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I love it when Ursula gets all masterful. :)

holy **** , they havent even taken over the place yet and thier already bossing us about , i had no idea the germans were like this

Old people do have a nasty habit of voting at election time, though.

Also, I got this strange image of Vincent Browne phoning up the German chancellery and 'scaring Frau Merkel' as Ursula puts it.

"Two years Angela! Two years for a treaty change ... OR MAYBE NOT AT ALL" *theatrical voice*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

:pac::pac:

Plautus wrote: »
    Old people do have a nasty habit of voting at election time, though.

Very true, sadly

I'd like to take Medical Cards off Wealthy Pensioners who don't need them, and give them to families on low incomes with sick children who do.

But it's not going to happen because Democracy doesn't work :mad:

Iudex.non.calculat ... I know my Latin Vincent.

He's totally getting the ride off her later ...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Ursula makes a good point about 89m Germans with 1 vote and 4m Irish with one vote
    I didnt notice Vincent getting all stroppy about democracy there!
    Just a dismissive 'yeh yeh yeh go on'

As are many others.

They do not have a monopoly on hardship.
    Agreed, but your question was "how did this budget target the elderly?". My answer is, some senior citizens will be adversely affected by the cuts in the fuel allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i had no idea the germans were like this

:D:D

That Kevin Dundon advert has higher Production values than any of RTE's new series.

She's like the stereotypical German woman.. I bet she throws the discus in her spare time as well..

Christ, you just wind Anna Quigley up and let her go..

In other news...

mrsd.jpg

Dear god MrsD... you're not jumping on that Christmas bandwagon already are you..
    Nothing wrong with a bit of festive cheer! Would you prefer a Pearse Doherty avatar? It could be arranged Jonny ;)

• Advertisement

Very true, sadly

I'd like to take Medical Cards off Wealthy Pensioners who don't need them, and give them to families on low incomes with sick children who do.

But it's not going to happen because Democracy doesn't work :mad:

how do you mean democrocy doesnt work , the reason pensioners are spoiled and shielded from cuts is because the goverment knows it has absolute cover to do so , even those who are poverty stricken are opposed to cuts to wealthy pensioners , irish people have a habbit of being altogether mushy headed and sentimental when it comes to particular groups , hence the boneheaded consensus that being old is the same as being poor , as soon as the majority wake up and realise that this country is full of very wealthy old people , the sooner the goverment will start cutting this sacred cow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement