Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Agreed, but your question was "how did this budget target the elderly?". My answer is, some senior citizens will be adversely affected by the cuts in the fuel allowance.

By target, I meant what specifically impacted on them rather than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

:D
    Anyone else find her stern teutonic routine vaguely attractive.

No?

I've said too much :pac:

After listening to Ursula for the past 20 minutes, I'm starting to come round to your way of thinking........

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Oh Ursula, the fourth reich lunatics are going to be up to 90 with this suggestion of yours to understand Merkel in her original tongue ...

And it's, 'Das ist alles fuer jetzt - bis morgen - gute nacht' Vincent ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Agreed, but your question was "how did this budget target the elderly?". My answer is, some senior citizens will be adversely affected by the cuts in the fuel allowance.

no they wont , anyone with 232 euro per week ( 218 non contributory ) and no expense other than food has no reason to be short money for coal , electricity and esb are free aswell as a multitude of other things

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

irishh_bob wrote: »
    no they wont , anyone with 232 euro per week ( 218 non contributory ) and no expense other than food has no reason to be short money for coal , electricity and esb are free aswell as a multitude of other things
    Oh how I'd love to live in your perfect little world.

• Advertisement

Oh how I'd love to live in your perfect little world.

just stating the facts is all

How about medical expenses, home insurance, car insurance, petrol, refuse charges, household tax etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

know doubt you do Bob.

or are you...you know, jus' guessing?

How about medical expenses, home insurance, car insurance, petrol, refuse charges, household tax etc...

pensioners recieve medical cards so all that is paid for my john q tax payers , we dont pay household tax in ireland as yet and what is it something like 100 euro per year , pensioners dont drive to work everyday , i doubt the majority of them spend more than 20 euro per week on juice , the rest are anual costs but no more , i could easily see a pensioner saving close on a hundred euro per week under the present payments

ArtSmart wrote: »
    know doubt you do Bob.

or are you...you know, jus' guessing?

guessing what ? , the level of entitlements is public information for all to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Electricity is not free. Subsidised but not free.

Tarvel is; big deal. Fat lot of good that is outside of the cities with public transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

As a PS worker may I say that the Croke Park deal is crap and yes those who are useless can't be gotten rid off(and make it looks like everyone in the PS are lazy and there just for the money) and also with the layoff they want coming from retirements will make some area more streched than everyone else.

Strange use of the letters 'PS' to describe the Public Sector, considering the same acronym could equally be applied to the Private Sector.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Electricity is not free. Subsidised but not free.

Tarvel is; big deal. Fat lot of good that is outside of the cities with public transport.

they recieve a certain amount of free units , the elderly use less electricity , for all intents and purposes , its free

Lapin wrote: »
    Strange use of the letters 'PS' to describe the Public Sector, considering the same acronym could equally be applied to the Private Sector.

no need to be pedantic , you know what the poster meant , croke park doesnt apply to the private sector

pensioners recieve medical cards so all that is paid for my john q tax payers , we dont pay household tax in ireland as yet and what is it something like 100 euro per year , pensioners dont drive to work everyday , i doubt the majority of them spend more than 20 euro per week on juice , the rest are anual costs but no more , i could easily see a pensioner saving close on a hundred euro per week under the present payments
    :eek: You obviously aren't familiar with the concept "active retirement" :D

Maybe if you have free travel and live in one of Ireland's cities, €20 might cover your petrol costs but in rural Ireland it is a completely different story.

Most of the senior citizens I know pay for private medical insurance as they have pre-existing medical conditions that require them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

they recieve a certain amount of free units , the elderly use less electricity , for all intents and purposes , its free

My 80 yo father's last electricity bill was €100. Hardly free. And as a matter of fact older people use more electricity because they get colder then you or I, have trouble seeing and need to turn lights on earlier, etc. It is essential for older people to keep warm. Also, my Dad filled his oil tank last week and it cost him over €500!

:eek: You obviously aren't familiar with the concept "active retirement" :D

Maybe if you have free travel and live in one of Ireland's cities, €20 might cover your petrol costs but in rural Ireland it is a completely different story.

Most of the senior citizens I know pay for private medical insurance as they have pre-existing medical conditions that require them to do so.

private healthcare is optional , no one is refused treatment in the public arena just because they had a condition prior to reaching an age which qualifies them for a medical card

as for the city rural divide , thats a whole other arguement and a complete red herring , if one was to apply that criteria , pensioners living in the country would recieve more than pensioners in the city , besides , travel is a luxury option in many ways , disgressionary spending , im checking out now and we could talk all night but thier is no denying pensioners recieve incredibly generous benefit packages in ireland and in times like this , this can only be continued at the expense of others and is

btw , im familiar with the active retirement , their a QUANGO like age awareness or friends of the elderly , QUANGO QUEENS who earn a living playing violins for pensioners , then again thier not alone in this , thier are endless number of poverty industry salary drawing hacks who suck on the tax payers teat

Sardonicat wrote: »
    My 80 yo father's last electricity bill was €100. Hardly free. And as a matter of fact older people use more electricity because they get colder then you or I, have trouble seeing and need to turn lights on earlier, etc. It is essential for older people to keep warm. Also, my Dad filled his oil tank last week and it cost him over €500!

heating via electricity is less economical than heating via gas or solid fuel and besides i wouldnt call 100 euros is hardly a large ESB bill considering the bills are issued once every two months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

no need to be pedantic , you know what the poster meant , croke park doesnt apply to the private sector

I wasn't being pedantic at all. It was a perfectly valid point.

private healthcare is optional , no one is refused treatment in the public arena just because they had a condition prior to reaching an age which qualifies them for a medical card

as for the city rural divide , thats a whole other arguement and a complete red herring , if one was to apply that criteria , pensioners living in the country would recieve more than pensioners in the city , besides , travel is a luxury option in many ways , disgressionary spending , im checking out now and we could talk all night but thier is no denying pensioners recieve incredibly generous benefit packages in ireland and in times like this , this can only be continued at the expense of others and is

btw , im familiar with the active retirement , their a QUANGO like age awareness or friends of the elderly , QUANGO QUEENS who earn a living playing violins for pensioners , then again thier not alone in this , thier are endless number of poverty industry salary drawing hacks who suck on the tax payers teat
    You will be old some day, I hope you find it is as good you make it out to be.

• Advertisement

You will be old some day, I hope you find it is as good you make it out to be.

im pretty sure i wont see anything like the state benefits present day pensioners recieve , thier simply wont be the funds available the way things are shaping up

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Why isn't TV3 doing any budget coverage with Vinnie from 3PM like RTE and various radio stations? Jeremy Kyle and Judge Judy more important it seems? Vinnie's budget coverage last year was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

SB-08 wrote: »
    Why isn't TV3 doing any budget coverage with Vinnie from 3PM like RTE and various radio stations? Jeremy Kyle and Judge Judy more important it seems? Vinnie's budget coverage last year was excellent.

Budget constraints???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

SB-08 wrote: »

The budget last year yielded far more public and media interest than this year's one.

It's typical of a commercial station to pick and choose public interest events they want to cover. It's the same in the UK with ITV.

As much as people give out about RTE, they always cover these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Lapin wrote: »

Yes PS as in public sector so had you a real point to make or were you just been pedantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

"On an extended show tonight we go to Fatima Mansions for a discussion with Community Representatives"

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Goodnight everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Skid wrote: »
    "On an extended show tonight we go to Fatima Mansions for a discussion with Community Representatives"

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Goodnight everyone.

Gather the irate plebs to roll out the stock "It's disgraceful, terrible" comments, then back to the studio for pointless conjecture, how could you possibly want to miss that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

DuckStab wrote: »
    Gather the irate plebs to roll out the stock "It's disgraceful, terrible" comments, then back to the studio for pointless conjecture, how could you possibly want to miss that?!

The conversation remains the same because the problems remain unaddressed and that alone is worthy of discussion. It's not within VB's remit to do more than that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Who's this blonde wan, i bet she could not hold onto a man for very long.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Thank god she finally shut up, oh she is off again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement