Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It's not just Hayes but all politicians in general he just happened to be to one on tonight.

Exactly, Vinny badgers bullies and belittles people on his show to show them up and support his extremely left wing viewpoints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

SnowY32 wrote: »
    I would give hayes a smack if i saw him prick!

Ah he's nowhere near as smug or arrogant as his former constituency colleague, Conor Lenihan.

I 'd never get tired smacking him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Jess16 wrote: »
    So it's ok for taxpayers to pay large salaries to the wealthy but not to give significantly less to the poor?

a much larger number of people recieve payments of around 150 - 250 euro per week than who recieve payments from the state of over 120 k so its not a balanced sum to start with

besides , you can hardly lump wages in with wellfare , its apples and oranges , thier are many wealthy people who im in favour of draging into the real world , GP,s , densitst and consultants are completley sheltered from competition but the reality is that ireland has a very generous wellfare state and and its been largley maintained considering the severity of the rescession , wellfare is going to see much larger cuts in the years to come because were either going back to the punt or the germans are going to be setting our spending rates and neither will leave us with more cash to dole out , no pun intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Lapin wrote: »
    Ah he's nowhere near as smug or arrogant as his former constituency colleague, Conor Lenihan.

I 'd never get tired smacking him.

Ah Fine Gael, the "We're not Fianna Fail" party. They got elected on that ticket and it's a get-out-of-jail card for every single incompetant action they take. It'll be interesting when the ticket eventually expires and they're actually judged on their own merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the question was as follows

arent you ashamed to cut wellfare , what was hayes supposed to say ?

it was a loaded question

It's a perfectly straightforward question. He could have said "No, I am not ashamed to cut welfare" or "Yes, I am ashamed to cut welfare" and then qualify his statement with some reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

So it's ok for taxpayers to pay large salaries to the wealthy but not to give significantly less to the poor?

I was poor before, want to know what i did? I worked every day i could when i was younger, put myself through college and have worked hard everyday since to get to where i am now. Now i have a good salary and pay huge taxes to support people on benefits.
    Hayes has worked to get to where he is and if he's paid 130,000 each year guess what, he pays over 60,000 in tax each year.
    Some people are afraid of hard work these days and are happy to keep putting their hand out. Benefits are too generous in Ireland!

RayM wrote: »
    It's a perfectly straightforward question. He could have said "No, I am not ashamed to cut welfare" or "Yes, I am ashamed to cut welfare" and then qualify his statement with some reasons.

why should he have assisted browne in his agenda by dignifying that loaded question ( statement ) with a confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I love/hate Vincent Browne

I like his humour, intelligence and his hatred of all things 'official'

I hate his amateurish chairing of the show, his pointless histrionics and repetitiion (TV3 in a nutshell)

I'd like to see a calmer head to look at things more strategically and less emotively. Im sick of 'In the left corner we have...'

David McWilliams perhaps?

I was poor before, want to know what i did? I worked every day i could when i was younger, put myself through college and have worked hard everyday since to get to where i am now. Now i have a good salary and pay huge taxes to support people on benefits.
    Hayes has worked to get to where he is and if he's paid 130,000 each year guess what, he pays over 60,000 in tax each year.
    Some people are afraid of hard work these days and are happy to keep putting their hand out. Benefits are too generous in Ireland!

they were too generous when bertie was leader but now we simply dont have the money , politicans are too well paid aswell but even they were paid 50 k per year , browne would be on his horse about cutting wellfare , its a neurosis with him at this stage , anyone ever seen the movie NETWORK , peter finch ( rip ) must have travelled forward to the future and watched tapes of vinny for inspiration , its surreal

why should he have assisted browne in his agenda by dignifying that loaded question ( statement ) with a confirmation

It was a perfectly fair question. He either is or isn't ashamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

a much larger number of people recieve payments of around 150 - 250 euro per week than who recieve payments from the state of over 120 k so its not a balanced sum to start with

besides , you can hardly lump wages in with wellfare , its apples and oranges , thier are many wealthy people who im in favour of draging into the real world , GP,s , densitst and consultants are completley sheltered from competition but the reality is that ireland has a very generous wellfare state and and its been largley maintained considering the severity of the rescession , wellfare is going to see much larger cuts in the years to come because were either going back to the punt or the germans are going to be setting our spending rates and neither will leave us with more cash to dole out , no pun intended

You have no idea what the disparities in public expenditures are so your point is a non-sequitur. Also, I don't mean to be rude but your spelling and syntax make for incredibly difficult reading so I'll leave it at that

D1stant wrote: »
    I love/hate Vincent Browne

I like his humour, intelligence and his hatred of all things 'official'

I hate his amateurish chairing of the show, his pointless histrionics and repetitiion (TV3 in a nutshell)

I'd like to see a calmer head to look at things more strategically and less emotively. Im sick of 'In the left corner we have...'

David McWilliams perhaps?

i like his lack of respect for power ( in principal ) and pomp aswell but he is totally unhinged an is completley unable to keep a lid on his own idealogy

may i suggest that thier is a room for an irish version of vinny on the right , i dont mean a rush limbaugh or bill o reilly ( thier loons aswell ) but someone who represents that completley under represented entity , the centre right voter

thats a personal question and asking it serves absolutley no purpose

You have no idea what the disparities in public expenditures are so your point is a non-sequitur. Also, I don't mean to be rude but your spelling and syntax make for incredibly difficult reading so I'll leave it at that

its late so give my spelling a break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Not really. Its like asking the life boat attendant on the Titanic is he ashamed of the indigestion being suffered in first class by the impact of the Iceberg

A. He had nothing to do with it
    B. Its a stupid f*cking question
    C. Its loaded with powder for VB go go off another boring rant

D1stant wrote: »
    Not really. Its like asking the life boat attendant on the Titanic is he ashamed of the indigestion being suffered in first class by the impact of the Iceberg

A. He had nothing to do with it
    B. Its a stupid f*cking question
    C. Its loaded with powder for VB go go off another boring rant

i wish i could hit the nail on the head like that , hole in one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Pumpkinhead had his smug hat on tonight I see.

thats a personal question and asking it serves absolutley no purpose

It is perfectly valid to ask a very wealthy politician to justify his support for cutting from the very poorest. He either does or doesn't find it morally justifiable. If somebody in such a position of responsibility lacks the intellectual capacity to justify decisions which severely impact on people's lives, then they don't deserve to hold that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

VB has a powerful position and imo is very influential politically because of this show and it's late night slot.

He's a mercilessly arrogant bully and probably was the cause of the dropping of the child benefit cut.

He loves power obviously. He's also slick.

Last night he let the question to Ml Taft? on increments pass unanswered.

Tonight he cut to ads when Constantin was pointing out re cutbacks that 'we'd seen nothing yet' and never returned to him.

Neat.

The coalition will always put someone on - unlike FF who chickened out in the end. They have the sense not to let things drift by default. Hayes has the measure of him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hayes was dodging anyway, especially when trying to explain that he was just like anyone else paying extra re the additional VAT etc. The elephant in the room there was the fact that, on €130k+, he won't anywhere near feel the pain of someone earning an awful lot less than that, because he'll still have a huge wad left over to live on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pretty cynical performance by Vincent as usual tonight.. And Audiences in both the studio and the community centre was completely left weighted.. no objectivity.

Frankly, I dont think FG got everything right in the budget either... I think they should have had the balls to simply cut the dole (which was increased hugely over the last ten years), not cut the payments for disabled people... And take on the Public Sector unions (rip up the Croke Park Agreement), not increase the capital taxes.. but they would be committing political suicide by doing so...

We are taking in ~35 Bn .. We are spending 20 Bn on Benefits alone, and if you add in health (14Bn) that's the lot spent.... And we are borrowing at 6% from Europe to pay the rest... this is completely unsustainable, and serious cuts need to be made..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Hayes was dodging anyway, especially when trying to explain that he was just like anyone else paying extra re the additional VAT etc. The elephant in the room there was the fact that, on €130k+, he won't anywhere near feel the pain of someone earning an awful lot less than that, because he'll still have a huge wad left over to live on.

Hayes won't feel any pain whatsoever following the budget, the only thing he could mention which would affect him was the 2% VAT increase.

I think the government TDs should have agreed to take a 10% paycut minimum.

Vincent is annoying again tonight... After the Government back down, I'm sure that we can expect an "I told you so" lecture from the shinners and others tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Whose the chubby lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Whose the chubby lad?

Alison somebody or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Alison somebody or other.

Wonderland ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Love the way Vincent never leaves them get away with answering another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Loads of mugs on view tonight.

Love Stephen Donnolly .. he's great..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Love Stephen Donnolly .. he's great..

He is very impressive. He went off on one there (unusual for him). :D
    But i do wonder what he would do if he was in government.
    I was interested to hear how exactly he would deal with the Anglo issue but they didn't really go into it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement