Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

We should have a Batman-off. :cool:

(I'd get battered. Ho.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Watching a Horror/Thriller

All i have is grapes beside me. im eating them like popcorn, dont think ive ever had so many in so few minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

There seems to be a few UL people around C&H so I might as well just ask this here instead of trying to find a suitable thread over in the UL forum. :o When do first years usually finish up for the summer? I'm guessing it depends on your course, but like, what dates (roughly) are the exams over by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Togepi wrote: »
    There seems to be a few UL people around C&H so I might as well just ask this here instead of trying to find a suitable thread over in the UL forum. :o When do first years usually finish up for the summer? I'm guessing it depends on your course, but like, what dates (roughly) are the exams over by?

The last day of Spring Semester exams is the 20th of May 2013. You're at the mercy of SAA as to when you're finished. You could be lucky and be done in the first week, or unlucky and have an exam on the very last day.

Academic Calendar

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The last day of Spring Semester exams is the 20th of May 2013. You're at the mercy of SAA as to when you're finished. You could be lucky and be done in the first week, or unlucky and have an exam on the very last day.

Academic Calendar

Cheers, I'm guessing we won't know the exact dates of our exams until late April or May then... My family will probably be going abroad for a relative's wedding in the middle of May so I was hoping I might get really lucky and be finished in time for that, but it doesn't look likely now. :cool:

• Advertisement

Cheers, I'm guessing we won't know the exact dates of our exams until late April or May then... My family will probably be going abroad for a relative's wedding in the middle of May so I was hoping I might get really lucky and be finished in time for that, but it doesn't look likely now. :cool:

Yep, mid-April's when the timetables are out. Makes planning things awkward as f*ck.

Yep, mid-April's when the timetables are out. Makes planning things awkward as f*ck.

It would help if my relatives scheduled their lives around my exams. :pac: My first cousin to get married did so right before the Leaving last year. :( I wouldn't mind when the weddings are at all, but I've a good few American cousins who come home for them so it's nice to be able to see them is all.

*Shakes fist at people who organise both weddings and exams*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

You're so lucky you're going into first year in ul. So jel :P if i could go back and do first year all over again, i easily would. Best year of ma life!! :D
    Although I'm not planning on getting too serious for 2nd year either :cool: #YOLO (yes, i did just say that..) Can't wait to go back to college!! :D

You're so lucky you're going into first year in ul. So jel :P if i could go back and do first year all over again, i easily would. Best year of ma life!! :D
    Although I'm not planning on getting too serious for 2nd year either :cool: #YOLO (yes, i did just say that..) Can't wait to go back to college!! :D

Aw 2nd year is the business! I loved 2nd year so much I'm thinking of doing it again. :cool:

I can't wait. :D Oh and you posted something about me going for Plassey before and I was kind of like dafuq did she know that?! but I was going through my PMs a while ago and saw that you were the one who messaged me stuff about the villages ages ago... It all makes sense now! :P And you also have the honour of being the first human to message me on Boards. :eek: :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My first message on boards was from someone I was having an argument with in the LC forum, we were told to take it to pm

My first message was an angry mod giving me an infraction. Had only been registered a few weeks IIRC. :cool:

God I'm an awful eejit - I saw in the UL forum that the timetables are up, so I went and had a look to see if I could find the first year ones for the courses I have down, just to get an idea what they're like. Firstly, I had have no idea how to read college timetables yet (mainly because I don't even know what groups I'd even be in or what lecturers I'd have... :pac:), so all I did was look at the start time and finishing time every day for one course, making me initially think that I'd have stuff from 9-6 every day bar one day where it'd only be 9-5. :pac:

Then I was trying to figure out which letter combinations stood for which subjects, and I kept seeing 'TUT' and it took me ages to realise that it means tutorial. :o

God I'm an awful eejit - I saw in the UL forum that the timetables are up, so I went and had a look to see if I could find the first year ones for the courses I have down, just to get an idea what they're like. Firstly, I had have no idea how to read college timetables yet (mainly because I don't even know what groups I'd even be in or what lecturers I'd have... :pac:), so all I did was look at the start time and finishing time every day for one course, making me initially think that I'd have stuff from 9-6 every day bar one day where it'd only be 9-5. :pac:

Then I was trying to figure out which letter combinations stood for which subjects, and I kept seeing 'TUT' and it took me ages to realise that it means tutorial. :o

You'll pick it up fairly quickly tbh. Once you have your student number you'll get a personalised timetable.
    Basically, the LEC slots can't be changed, you have to go to them. LAB's and TUT's are divided up into groups, you'll usually have one LAB and one TUT in each module per week. Depending on your course, you'll be able to mix and match LAB's and TUT's to suit yourself. (So if you miss a TUT on a Wednesday morning you will be able to do it later in the week, etc.)

Boy, UL is in danger of annexing the Den at this rate... :pac:

Thanks for the timetable heads up togepi :p just checked mine there. There is way too many lectures in comparison to 1st year :( which means even more times of temptation to skip college..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'd probably do a better job of food shopping than my mum at this point, we've got 25 (I counted) tins of Aldi chickpeas but no bread, and the fruit bowl contains one lemon. Useless.

Humans would bring a tear to ones eye. Some are just so beautiful others are just so talented and either way no one is ugly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Aw 2nd year is the business! I loved 2nd year so much I'm thinking of doing it again. :cool:

Can't believe I'm going into 4th year.... Treasure your UL time kids!! </3

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm going into 4th year.... Treasure your UL time kids!! </3

Maybe if I have to repeat I can tell my parents: "Ah, I just love UL so much I wanted to have an extra year there!".... yeah... that'd go down well I think. :)

In other news, my blog is on the long list for The Bloggies (Irish Blog Awards).

Now, I know I nominated myself, and I know the only criteria to make it on to the long lists is to actually have a function blog... but still! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Maybe if I have to repeat I can tell my parents: "Ah, I just love UL so much I wanted to have an extra year there!".... yeah... that'd go down well I think. :)

In other news, my blog is on the long list for The Bloggies (Irish Blog Awards).

Now, I know I nominated myself, and I know the only criteria to make it on to the long lists is to actually have a function blog... but still! :P

Still something to be proud of!! Make sure and let me know how to vote :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Senator Mary Moran just tweeted a video of a cow giving birth :pac:

Maybe im starting a little early but i found my years Christmas song.

Jhcx wrote: »
    Maybe im starting a little early but i found my years Christmas song.

NO.

NO.

Ahh you know you want to get into the spirit really ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Ahh you know you want to get into the spirit really ha ha.

I'm still on my summer holidays. Safe to say I don't want to start looking forward to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I kinda like Winter! At least you know it'll be cold, and I kind of like the dark evenings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Not even bothered that summer's ending because I'm not going back to school...

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I kinda like Winter! At least you know it'll be cold, and I kind of like the dark evenings. :)

I like winter 'cause it gives me an actual excuse to wear woolly hats and mittens, but the dark evenings are awful! I find it difficult to make myself go outside and exercise when it's bright 'til 10pm, I don't want to know how I'll manage during the winter. :eek: And I've just remembered having to get out of my lovely warm bed when it's still dark outside. The horror! :(

Conclusion: Winter seems to have more cons than pros... :cool:

I can't wait for the next month to pass, I want to be back at college already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've been working all summer, so college can take its sweet time starting up again as far as I'm concerned!:p I don't particularly like winter, especially since we started getting all these crazy icy conditions...I live out in the country so getting around can be difficult and stressful. I'm not looking forward to that when it comes to getting to college or work! I don't think I'd have the confidence to drive in the ice...I'd probably panic and total the car.

So summer > winter every time!

Lawliet wrote: »
    I can't wait for the next month to pass, I want to be back at college already!

This. A thousand times this.

Winter's the bomb as well. Would happily live somewhere where it was winter the whole year round. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't think I've ever wanted a summer not to end as badly in my life...Here's hoping that this is the last approaching September that I'll look at with dread...

You know you guys have given me a good idea of what to do this winter. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Namlub wrote: »
    Not even bothered that summer's ending because I'm not going back to school...

I realised that today when I saw a 5th year friend of mine make a status about being sick of seeing back to school stuff. Such a great feeling!

(Oh god I hope I don't have to repeat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Winter's the bomb as well. Would happily live somewhere where it was winter the whole year round. :)

Oh no no no. Days when I can go outside the house without 17 layers are happy days for me. I don't like the cold, and combine that with the horrible windy, wet awfulness...when I think of winter I just think of walking to lectures/exams in the disgusting weather and sitting in wet clothes for the next few hours! :(

I would love somewhere with temperatures in the 20's, not too much humidity...wouldn't mind the odd day of rain/cold/whatever to shake things up a bit as long as some sun is guaranteed! :pac:

Everything is so much better with sun :D

• Advertisement

If i said to you 'stop giving out to them' what would you actually pick that up as? cause in america its all backwards and means something totally wrong? WTF like?:confused:
    I have no idea what to give out to someone means. would you mind explaining

If i said to you 'stop giving out to them' what would you actually pick that up as? cause in america its all backwards and means something totally wrong? WTF like?:confused:

I think americans assume it's to do with handouts. "Stop giving out [stuff] to them."

At least that's always what I've assumed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I like winter 'cause it gives me an actual excuse to wear woolly hats and mittens, but the dark evenings are awful! I find it difficult to make myself go outside and exercise when it's bright 'til 10pm, I don't want to know how I'll manage during the winter. :eek: And I've just remembered having to get out of my lovely warm bed when it's still dark outside. The horror! :(

Conclusion: Winter seems to have more cons than pros... :cool:
    Oh I forgot all about the dark mornings! :( They were the absolute worst :eek: But there's something romantic about walking around when it's dark and quiet out...

Untitled-1.jpg
    I'm pretty sure it comes straight from ag tabhairt amach, in the same way as "I'm just after doing it", Hiberno-English wouldn't make much sense to Americans. :P

Jealous of all you collegeheads, Wednesday can't come fast enough...I'm so nervous about making friends and stuff though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

People are using fewer Hibernoisms these days. Also all the young people have south Dublin accents. We're all becoming one with Helios or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm so nervous about making friends and stuff though :eek:

Worst case scenario; you make no friends, but I give you permission to follow me at a minimum spherical distance of 5m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I too look forward to a bit of cold weather. I'm sick of this sticky sweaty sunburn-creating heat.

Jealous of all you collegeheads, Wednesday can't come fast enough...I'm so nervous about making friends and stuff though :eek:
    ah dont worry :) unless you literally make no effort whatsoever with anyone and avoid social interaction at all costs, you'll make friends :p if you're living with other students, for the love of god, go out with them the first night or do something fun or something. They'll be the first new college people you'll probably end up meeting!

Also just 3 more weeks before I move back into ma new college house :D
    excited.com.

ah dont worry :) unless you literally make no effort whatsoever with anyone and avoid social interaction at all costs, you'll make friends
    I can confirm this, and I am one of those awkward, zero social skills types who spent the first few months of college being afraid to talk to people in case they thought I was weird and I was bothering them, and I still managed to make friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

ah dont worry :) unless you literally make no effort whatsoever with anyone and avoid social interaction at all costs, you'll make friends
    I can confirm this, and I am one of those awkward, zero social skills types who spent the first few months of college being afraid to talk to people in case they thought I was weird and I was bothering them, and I still managed to make friends!

+1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm going into my 4th year of college and I still don't know anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm afraid to Patchy you're still as smooth as A.C Slater.

Breaking bad is epic and everything but not when they shoot kids :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I dunno, aside from JamJam and IHC who I knew from this, I didn't make any new friends in my course. The classes were just too big, and I live at home which doesn't help. I have my group of friends, but none of them are in my course. I made plenty of acquaintances, but nobody I could go out with or hang around college with. I suppose that's what happens when there's circa 1000 people in first year!

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I made plenty of acquaintances, but nobody I could go out with or hang around college with.

This tbh. Lots of acquaintances, few (if any) actual friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I dunno, aside from JamJam and IHC who I knew from this, I didn't make any new friends in my course. The classes were just too big, and I live at home which doesn't help. I have my group of friends, but none of them are in my course. I made plenty of acquaintances, but nobody I could go out with or hang around college with. I suppose that's what happens when there's circa 1000 people in first year!
    This tbh. Lots of acquaintances, few (if any) actual friends.

Thanks guys....we feel so much better now. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement