Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Yeah, the thing is my best friends in college weren't in my course so I didn't see them as often as I'd like although I saw more of them last year.

A few of them have now graduated which is unfortunate.

Friendly with a few from my (now previous) course but I was more often than not sitting on my own getting lunch unless I saw someone I recognised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Well there were around 400 people in both my English and Psychology classes, I got on great with my Italian class but didn't see them outside of lectures, same with my Spanish.

That's just how it worked out for me, some people get luckier I suppose. I also managed to get a job so that ate into my time more.

I'm not actually awkward in social situations, a little shy but that wears off quickly. I suppose at the start of the college year, I was really bitter over having to do my "safety-net" course and just didn't settle in the way people normally would. By the time I settled, everyone had made their friends.

Oh well.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

ah dont worry :) unless you literally make no effort whatsoever with anyone and avoid social interaction at all costs, you'll make friends :p if you're living with other students, for the love of god, go out with them the first night or do something fun or something. They'll be the first new college people you'll probably end up meeting!

This, +1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Thinking about it, I guess it was that bit easier for me too since there are under 50 people in my year... But it's especially easy to talk to people in the first few weeks! It's completely normal to sit next to somebody you don't know and ask them who the hell they are :P Everyone's in the same boat as you!

Does anyone now if The Rocker is worth watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This tbh. Lots of acquaintances, few (if any) actual friends.

I genuinely worry about this.
    I mean, my own friend circle has been dwindling so much the last couple of years, I really need some fresh new faces and a new friend circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Eathrin wrote: »
    Worst case scenario; you make no friends, but I give you permission to follow me at a minimum spherical distance of 5m.
    I'd be ever so flattered. :P
    ah dont worry :) unless you literally make no effort whatsoever with anyone and avoid social interaction at all costs, you'll make friends :p if you're living with other students, for the love of god, go out with them the first night or do something fun or something. They'll be the first new college people you'll probably end up meeting!

Also just 3 more weeks before I move back into ma new college house :D
    excited.com.
    I used to be a bit like that with the mindset being "They cant hate me if I don't do anything wrong :D" but now I'm more "no matter how weird I may act, its weirder to be silent and creepy" :P

Problem is I'm not moving out, and I'm 17 until Februrary, so while I plan to join societies I'm worried I'll be left out of the loop completely. It's kind of happened with my general friend group. :rolleyes:
    I genuinely worry about this.
    I mean, my own friend circle has been dwindling so much the last couple of years, I really need some fresh new faces and a new friend circle.
    This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Well this is reassuring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I used to be a bit like that with the mindset being "They cant hate me if I don't do anything wrong :D" but now I'm more "no matter how weird I may act, its weirder to be silent and creepy" :P

Problem is I'm not moving out, and I'm 17 until Februrary, so while I plan to join societies I'm worried I'll be left out of the loop completely. It's kind of happened with my general friend group. :rolleyes:

Me, Cian and Siobhan Patch :P We'll be okay :)

We will all make friends lads, why wouldn't we?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Ye'll make friends as long as you try not to be yourself. I feel I need to stress this: Do NOT be yourself and always give into peer pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Somethings up. The birds outside my window are going absolutely crazy.

Meowth wrote: »
    Patchy~ wrote: »

Me, Cian and Siobhan Patch :P We'll be okay :)

We will all make friends lads, why wouldn't we?! :P

People will ask how we know each other.
    And we will have no good explanation. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Em gaeltacht nobody needs to know I've never been to one :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Somethings up. The birds outside my window are going absolutely crazy.

Crap, they've finally watched the Hitchcock film!

Birds.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Friends! What friends? Friends come and go you don't need them. Now what u do need are contacts. Contacts that know someone that know someone who can get you something when u need it. Now there the friends u need. Don't worry about making friends just worry about being noticed. You can't have everyone be your friend but u can have them know who you are and have them talk to you. when I was in college I wouldn't class any of the people I knew as friends but ppl who u could hang out with. I'm very sure on any given day I never hung around with the same one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Summer camp. If you ever have to explain how you know someone from boards, you all went to summer camp.

• Advertisement

Lawliet wrote: »
    Summer camp. If you ever have to explain how you know someone from boards, you all went to summer camp.

Which camp?
    Ummm, Clearasil camp....
    :p

Apparently i had anothe bebo account i didnt know about.... Deleted now. :pac:

I only wonder what some of my old emails would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jhcx wrote: »
    Apparently i had anothe bebo account i didnt know about.... Deleted now. :pac:

I only wonder what some of my old emails would have.

Ah the good 'ole days when people had about six different Bebo accounts when they kept forgetting passwords... :P

I wonder why that particular phenomena died with Bebo...

I wonder how this is possible:pac:

b_h1674679.gif

Just had a group of young girls chanting "Go Justin Beiber hair, Go Justin Beiber hair!" about me during a football match. I think it's time I got a haircut.

• Advertisement

Just had a group of young girls chanting "Go Justin Beiber hair, Go Justin Beiber hair!" about me during a football match. I think it's time I got a haircut.

Apparently ive got Jedward hair -__- not impressed to say the least.

Apparently ive got Jedward hair -__- not impressed to say the least.

'scuse me a sec...

*clears throat*
    *blows pitch pipe*

PICS OR GTFO!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've just noticed whenever you hang with a group of friends the group splits up into smaller or you only get close to a few people from the group and the rest you just talk to and you don't really get to know them.

I've just noticed whenever you hang with a group of friends you don't know who to talk to and just go home.

'scuse me a sec...

*clears throat*
    *blows pitch pipe*

PICS OR GTFO!

:P

Can't believe I'm putting my photo up on an internet forum but here it goes....

justin-bieber-m.jpg

Can't believe I'm putting my photo up on an internet forum but here it goes....

http://justinbieberfan.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/justin-bieber-m.jpg

The only reason I know that's a pic of Justin Bieber is because of the url...

I'm not even joking.

The only reason I know that's a pic of Justin Bieber is because of the url...

I'm not even joking.

I know his face because he's on the side of all my fúcking youtube videos.

I know his face because he's on the side of all my fúcking youtube videos.

The question is what kind of videos are you watching for him to appear on the side :eek: :pac:

I havent seen that geezer in a few weeks now

His hair is amazing... Look at it!

Also, if you ignore the things that are rubbish about him, he's kinda the man... I mean, he's obviously really good looking and super popular with the lady folk, he can sing like a winner, the aforementioned hair is perfect (obviously!), he has more moneys than I can count on both hands, he's going out with Selena Gomez (!!), who is something like 2 years older than him, he literally helps sick kids in hospitals, and his babysitter is Usher...

The man is a hero! And I will admit to being a little bit jealous of him... I never even had a babysitter :(

And I will admit to being a little bit jealous of him... I never even had a babysitter :(

Well anyone who says they're not jealous of him is a damn liar.

It's because he's younger than me (I think?), richer than I will ever be, more better looking than me and has millions of girls lusting after him that I don't like him.

• Advertisement

It's because he's younger than me (I think?), richer than I will ever be, more better looking than me and has millions of girls lusting after him that I don't like him.

I don't like him because he makes **** music tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Jealous, of his money yes, but sure I can make my own like everyone else :). But to be like him would be selling out on all my beliefs about modern culture, people, music, fashion, etc. ;). I wouldn't swap my life for his, ever, and now that I think of it I can't think of anyone's life I'd swap with really :pac:

I don't want to go to bed because then it'll be the morning and everything will be too real...Gonna just eat a muffin instead

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Jealous, of his money yes, but sure I can make my own like everyone else :). But to be like him would be selling out on all my beliefs about modern culture, people, music, fashion, etc. ;). I wouldn't swap my life for his, ever, and now that I think of it I can't think of anyone's life I'd swap with really :pac:

You'd take the hair, though, wouldn't you? You would. I would... That hair... <3

The question is what kind of videos are you watching for him to appear on the side :eek: :pac:

I havent seen that geezer in a few weeks now

You'd be surprised at the amount of even small unheard of artists that are now subject to a VEVO account.
    Not just Lady Gaga and Katy Perry anymore.

How the fúck does prepubescent girl pop come to dominate the music industry anyhow?

I hear more about Justin Bieber from people who hate him than the teenage girls who like him. I heard that I should hate him before I even knew who he was. Why couldn't I just be let live in ignorance?

I don't like him because he makes **** music tbh

But is his music really "****", or is it just not to your taste?

I don't like his music personally, but I think it's good pop music. If it were actually "****", then millions of people around the world wouldn't be willing to pay €70+ for a ticket to see him live.

Now, you could argue that his music is only popular because it exploits* prepubescent girls (his song "First Dance" for example), but equally I could argue that Nirvana, Nickelback, Linkin Park, etc exploit angsty teenage boys.

*exploits is probably too strong a word, but I think you'll know what I mean.

Despite him being the most popular music act on youtube, I've honestly never heard one of JBs songs on Irish radio.

And I was like baby baby baby oooooooohhhhhhh
    Baby baby baby noooooooooooooooooooooo
    Like baby baby baby ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Thought you'd always be mine, mine

A timeless classic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

flyswatter wrote: »
    Despite him being the most popular music act on youtube, I've honestly never heard one of JBs songs on Irish radio.

what is this radio you speak of?

All this talk of bad music makes me want to talk about good music instead.

So here's the national anthem:

If you disagree then you are a west Brit imperialist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

My brother showed me one of J-Biebz's singing videos a few months before everyone started to hear about him.

He probably read somewhere that this kid was going to be massive, but still, respect. :pac:

Togepi wrote: »
    My brother showed me one of J-Biebz's singing videos a few months before everyone started to hear about him.

He probably read somewhere that this kid was going to be massive, but still, respect. :pac:
    Feckin hipster!

Lies, there's the one that's like

If I was your boyfriend, I'd gladly let you go
    Something something something

Namlub wrote: »
    Lies, there's the one that's like

If I was your boyfriend, I'd gladly let you go
    Something something something

And the one where he's on about "saving his first dance for you", which in no way is meant to be construed as a reference to him losing his virginity.

• Advertisement

But is his music really "****", or is it just not to your taste?

I don't like his music personally, but I think it's good pop music. If it were actually "****", then millions of people around the world wouldn't be willing to pay €70+ for a ticket to see him live.

Now, you could argue that his music is only popular because it exploits* prepubescent girls (his song "First Dance" for example), but equally I could argue that Nirvana, Nickelback, Linkin Park, etc exploit angsty teenage boys.

*exploits is probably too strong a word, but I think you'll know what I mean.

Well yeah I get what you're saying. Just because it's not to my liking doesn't mean it's awful.

But I don't agree that it's good pop music, I can appreciate good pop music. I just think that he makes bland, generic music that has no message behind it that has been made a million times before. Now obviously he's doing something right because he has loads of fans and has a hell of a lot of money. So good luck to him, and I don't actually hate him I suppose, I'm indifferent to him.

And yeah I see your point with the last bit, but please don't put Nirvana and Nickelback in the same category :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I saw Justin Bieber before he was really big when he was supporting Taylor Swift in London. Apparently he broke his ankle in the middle of one of his songs. I wasn't really paying any attention to him and was queueing up to get a tshirt for most of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Namlub wrote: »
    I don't want to go to bed because then it'll be the morning and everything will be too real...Gonna just eat a muffin instead

I can't get much pleasure from eating a muffin unless I eat it in seclusion or over a plate / table / bin. Stupid crumbling crumbs.

And apparently my hair goes all Bieber-y when the wind blows against it. Incidentally, I now hate the wind.

Tis easier go with the Military look. I mean ya cant argue with it. and its not just one person who has it. and you cant be hated. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I'm in Galway city. What is there to do here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement