Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Meh, American politics is waaaaay more interesting than whatever the children's referendum is about. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone else following the patronising, mind-numbingly repetitive coverage of the election on the news channels tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Anyone else following the patronising, mind-numbingly repetitive coverage of the election on the news channels tonight?

Shall be following CNN's momentarily once it starts on TV3.

TBF, it only really starts to get interesting once the polls start to close (now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

The Children's referendum is important, but it doesn't seem like there's any opposition to it, so it's not going to get peoples attention.
    Also America has a huge impact on the rest of the world, there's no point in even pretending that American politics doesn't affect us. The US presidential elections are always the highlight of the political world, and it's even more interesting this year since we've got protector of human rights and all round nice guy Obama neck in neck with Team Rape Romney
    It's just pure drama

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lawliet wrote: »
    The US presidential elections are always the highlight of the political world, and it's even more interesting this year since we've got protector of human rights and all round nice guy Obama neck in neck with Team Rape Romney
    It's just pure drama

A legitimate piece of criticism. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

http://www.isidewith.com/

Came across that earlier, you fill out a short survey thing and it tells you which candidate you agree with most.

I got Jill Stein :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Came across that earlier, you fill out a short survey thing and it tells you which candidate you agree with most.

Got that one too. I dunno why, i still back Obama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    With all the hype of the US presidential election 90% of the people I know don't even know what the children's referendum is about or that it's on Saturday. I don't understand this. I bet most of them know more about Obama/Romney than what the children's referendum is about. Is it not more important to be discussing what's going on here, and what we actually have the power to change than something we have no power over?
    The childrens referendum is far more boring than the US election. Not the result, which will be beneficial to children. But a yes vote is already set in stone. The US election will have an effect on the rest of the world indirectly too. I take your point but I can see why the US election is more attention grabbing, nothing can compete really.

A legitimate piece of criticism. :cool:
    Well, human rights protector is going too far I feel. The "protest" cover up at the US embassy for the loss of barely protected US officials. But moreso the many, many drone strikes he's authorised in Pakistan and all the civilian deaths from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I got Obama :D I'm hoping Obama is re-elected, I like him and Romney annoys me :P

/completely ignorant of American politics :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Disappointing that Romney didn't wreck the podium during his concession speech. For selfish reasons I'd have been half-glad if Romney won so he could reenact this moment:

Whoo Obama won.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Well, human rights protector is going too far I feel.
    I was half joking about that, Obama is far from prefect but at least he's not trying to set women and gay rights back a hundred years

I made the foolish mistake of deciding at 1am that I'd watch CNN in bed for a while while taking a break from working on a project...

Woke up at 7am to find my TV had shut it self off. :(

Though it only took 2 seconds of listening to the radio to find out who won, and only two minutes before some gowl bag said the phrase "Our very own Barack Obama...", started talking about that tool in Moneygall, and started on about how they hope Obama will visit again.

We really are a self-centred little country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Oh I know that US politics affects is indirectly, my point was that we can't actually do anything about the outcome. Most of the people I know don't even know that the referendum is on Saturday or what it's about when you they do have the chance to go and vote for it. This is a test run for Saturday elections in general which students have been campaigning to get for ages and I don't know a many who are planning on voting at all.

Same, 86% but very close. 85% agreed with Gary Johnson.
    I was half joking about that, Obama is far from prefect but at least he's not trying to set women and gay rights back a hundred years

I agree with this. Best of the choices, but I probably wouldn't have voted for either.

Lads,

I'm legitimately scared...

3 in a row spot on...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Lads,

3 in a row spot on...

:eek::eek: Da Bajaysus Fu*k like. DAFUQ thats sh t scary scarier than the horror im watching. dafuq really? 4 times :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Lads,

3 in a row spot on...

I was bewildered there for a few minutes...
    There are only certain numbers that it can work out as, any multiple of 9(except 90). These numbers all have the same symbol so it always knows what you're gonna guess. Clever though.

Lads,

3 in a row spot on...
    The nature of the calculations means there's only nine outcomes, the same picture is over each of these nine numbers, you just don't notice because the symbols change every time you click away. The game is just telling you the symbol it put there for you to find. Very old trick

• Advertisement

The nature of the calculations means there's only nine outcomes, the same picture is over each of these nine numbers, you just don't notice because the symbols change every time you click away. The game is just telling you the symbol it put there for you to find. Very old trick

S'good though. :)

I posted it on my facebook. i now have 10 notifications wtf :pac:

in other news the puns on bookface are just so .... something that u cant help but laugh.

552280_492824154073982_1744236289_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Bloody dentists, dunno where to look when I'm under the light. I can't really stare straight up into the dentist's eyes - that would be very disconcerting, for him and me - nor can I focus my eyes elsewhere as the only alternative is up his nostrils, and that'd be a bit rude. I closed my eyes, but then they watered so it probably looked like I was one of these 'scared of the dentist' types. Which I'm not. I'm a brave boy. Turns out my teeth are 'perfect' (generous bastard) though so no fillings or anything. \o/

For ages i wasnt able to use the site younow and was like wtf would never let me log in. then all of a sudden all these sites that require facebook log ins or any site i wanted to use the like button suddenly vanished and im like wtf. f ck you bookface and your ****ty free service. im glad i hate you so much. but turns out i had a facebook disconnect app installed so bookface couldnt track me ha ha ha. all is working now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Jhcx wrote: »
    For ages i wasnt able to use the site younow and was like wtf would never let me log in. then all of a sudden all these sites that require facebook log ins or any site i wanted to use the like button suddenly vanished and im like wtf. f ck you bookface and your ****ty free service. im glad i hate you so much. but turns out i had a facebook disconnect app installed so bookface couldnt track me ha ha ha. all is working now.

What?
    :confused:

^ Forget bout it. :o

It seems to be that time of the morning again. where i seem to have an epiphany.

1. I noticed i seem to be drifting back into being negative and as pointed out by some complaining. Really need to cut it out. Its a bit hard when your in the same location same surroundings.

2. It took sometime but i got there and have finally fallen in love(bit of an over statement) with the Aston Martin's.

3. While life is not the best at the moment. With a life being taken. I think the future can be positive. I do think that can make a change from here on out, possibly grow up somewhere in between.

Seems like a dismally poor turnout in the referendum (unsurprisingly).

Real shame that this will be used by opponents of weekend voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

TBH, I'd no idea that you could vote by post unless you were leaving the country for the vote or something. :o

• Advertisement

Double post :o

StumbleUpon has stopped working for me...

Past two nights every time I try and Stumble it tells me I've run out of Stumbles. Tried adding subjects, but no joy.

This make me sad. :(

Probably a good thing in the grand scheme of things though. :P

Past two nights every time I try and Stumble it tells me I've run out of Stumbles. Tried adding subjects, but no joy.

Wow I didn't think it was possible. Like surely everyday new websites are being added? U must be addicted to it. Lol.

Wow I didn't think it was possible. Like surely everyday new websites are being added? U must be addicted to it. Lol.

Haven't used it in about three weeks actually. Think it's just a glitch or something.

EDIT: :pac:

11112012-childrens-rights-referendum-campaign-2-630x461.jpg
    http://www.thejournal.ie/pic-spoiled-vote-childrens-referendum-670108-Nov2012/?utm_source=facebook_self&utm_medium=thejournal&utm_campaign=from_page&ref=nf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

This happened to me so reddit took over.

Haven't used it in about three weeks actually. Think it's just a glitch or something.

ahh. Have u noticed they have redesigned the site. could be the cause i got a welcome to stumble introduction the other day

Ah jaysus... I just discovered the "Ah here! Leave it out!" videos... (I know, I know, but I don't use YT that often other than for music).

I came across the 9/11 one... I laughed far too hard at it. :pac:

• Advertisement

How did i not see this during the campaign. :(

But the lad is a legend. I'd love to hear Obama's reaction to these. After all they're pretty impressive. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I've a maths test today which I didn't prepare for at all...

It didn't help at all that I forgot one of the books last night :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'm so annoyed about the woman who died in Galway because she was denied a (very necessary) abortion. What a disgrace! She was apparently told "this is a Catholic country"... Gah! Her life was obviously in danger. Fuccck me, why is everything that should be simple made so complicated! Ugh... Let the probably-futile TD-hassling begin!! :mad:

I'm so annoyed about the woman who died in Galway because she was denied a (very necessary) abortion. What a disgrace! She was apparently told "this is a Catholic country"... Gah! Her life was obviously in danger. Fuccck me, why is everything that should be simple made so complicated! Ugh... Let the probably-futile TD-hassling begin!! :mad:

Pure joke. She was told that the child stood ZERO chance of survival, yet she still had to continue on because there was still a heartbeat at the time. :mad:

It's sickening that people have to actually die before proper legislation is brought in to deal with this.

*cue months of handwringing by the government and media et al before anything happens.*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Did anyone go to any of the protests? (I know they are only starting now) Quite annoyed that I am missing it. It's terrible that someone had to die for action to be taken, I really hope something will be done but I don't have high expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm angry over it too. It's not acceptable that a perfectly healthy, young woman, who could have gone on to have successful pregnancies, died in this manner when it was so preventable.

I wouldn't be confidant though that if this was brought up as a referendum that it'd be passed. Stupid backwards attitudes are still rife. It's ridiculous that there are counselling services for women who have had abortions, when they can't even have the abortion here.:mad:

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I'm angry over it too. It's not acceptable that a perfectly healthy, young woman, who could have gone on to have successful pregnancies, died in this manner when it was so preventable.

I wouldn't be confidant though that if this was brought up as a referendum that it'd be passed. Stupid backwards attitudes are still rife. It's ridiculous that there are counselling services for women who have had abortions, when they can't even have the abortion here.:mad:

AFAIK it wouldn't even have to go to referendum. The "X Case" that everyone's always talking about set it out so that abortion is allowed if the mother's life is in danger. So all that needs to be done is to set in stone in legislation what criteria need to be met. (all that could be wrong, but that's what I gathered from all the coverage over the years).

It's been twenty years since the 'X case,' it's just so typical of the Irish government that it still hasn't been sorted out. They're just so scared of the Catholic church and groups like Youth Defence, that they'd rather just ignore it and bury their heads in the sand.
    The problem is "pro-life" groups are usually incredibly well funded, and have lots of powerful friends, whereas the pro-choice side are often just ordinary people who don't have the platform to make as much noise.
    If one good thing comes of this, it's the public out cry, it's just such a shame it took someone dying to get people to react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

*cue months of handwringing by the government and media et al before anything happens.*

Nothing will happen. none but Sinn Fein and a handful of independents voted in favour of Clare Daly's abortion legislation when it was presented to the Dail. They'll say stuff like "appropriate measures will need to be taken to assure a matter like this can never happen again" but they won't do shit due to the conservative bias of the Dail (and the voting portion of the population)

AFAIK it wouldn't even have to go to referendum. The "X Case" that everyone's always talking about set it out so that abortion is allowed if the mother's life is in danger. So all that needs to be done is to set in stone in legislation what criteria need to be met. (all that could be wrong, but that's what I gathered from all the coverage over the years).

The case itself needs to be investigated, and why it was flaunted.

Tis quiet enjoyable hearing a plane being very loud. open flight radar, see the info then look out the window to exactly where it is and watch it fly off into the sunset. Sunrise. its heading towards the middle east

Google. Why you wind me up? Why u no come to Ireland/and your headquarters are here. Now is your time to kick eircom in the stomach while their system is down. NOW IS THE TIME!! check out the eircom forums google. i speak no lie, they cant even send out post their that crap

ok its not free as such but its worth 10 months of an eircom package with lifetime free. :eek: infact convert that to € and its worth 6months.

Capture878.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Is anybody heading up to the dcu open day tomorrow? Cant wait :P

Bought GTA5, It better god dam be as good as it is or else.. :pac:

First time in my life pre ordering a game . I dont overly enjoy the feeling. Fear seems to arise that sh t is gonna hit the fan :(

In other news Dafuq is up with Killaloe and Ballina. Could have sworn the last time i looked for Ballina it was up near Galway? now only a river divides it and makes killaloe not even look like a village. anyway I have an excuse i dont need to study irish: Geography,irish,history or law scrap the last one i might haveta

Bought GTA5, It better god dam be as good as it is or else.. :pac:

First time in my life pre ordering a game . I dont overly enjoy the feeling. Fear seems to arise that sh t is gonna hit the fan :(

How come you pre-ordered it so early? We haven't even gotten a release date yet. :pac:

I'm waiting to see what sort of schwag the inevitable Collector's Edition's have... Rockstar do KICKASS collector's editions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Do you really have to go to the college open days? Like is it essential to visit a certain college before writing down one of its courses on the CAO?

• Advertisement
Advertisement