Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Aoifey! wrote: »
    No more 4 euro Tesco wine :(

sure that stuff will make you blind, it's vinegar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

sure that stuff will make you blind, it's vinegar
    It's more paint-stripper than vinegar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Stop yer wineing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Just to refer to Wnolans point on the lack of job stimulus, Enterprise Ireland are being given €139m to support indigenous industry, which is a major contributor to our economy.

This is going to supporting young farmers. The agricultural sector adds €24 billion to the economy, employs 7.7% of people and including the agri-food sector makes up 7% of the GDP. It also accounts for 10% of our exports.

Also, the Venture Capital Fund of €175m over 10 years will prove beneficial in the long term, as will the €35 retro fitting seed capital.

The rise in college fees is a disgrace though! As are the cuts in home help!

They have made an effort to reduce the deficits and making cuts and raising taxes is the only way to do this at the minute, it's the choosing where the cuts come from and what taxes are raised is the hard bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

This trend for band names without vowels is getting ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

My head is rattled with a page on politics .

How u mean no vowels never noticed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Namlub wrote: »
    This trend for band names without vowels is getting ridiculous
    What bands in particular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cakes. wrote: »
    Just to refer to Wnolans point on the lack of job stimulus, Enterprise Ireland are being given €139m to support indigenous industry, which is a major contributor to our economy.

This is going to supporting young farmers. The agricultural sector adds €24 billion to the economy, employs 7.7% of people and including the agri-food sector makes up 7% of the GDP. It also accounts for 10% of our exports.

Also, the Venture Capital Fund of €175m over 10 years will prove beneficial in the long term, as will the €35 retro fitting seed capital.

The rise in college fees is a disgrace though! As are the cuts in home help!

They have made an effort to reduce the deficits and making cuts and raising taxes is the only way to do this at the minute, it's the choosing where the cuts come from and what taxes are raised is the hard bit!

Yeah.... I guess you're right... but it just feels like those are drops in an ocean compared to all the cuts.

I think what's pissing me off most is that on the one hand the ordinary people of the country are dealing with all this **** that just gets piled on every year, and on the other hand Croke Park has been extended for another year!

How does that make ANY sense?

Croke Park essentially means people who aren't doing their jobs correctly can't be sacked. And not only that, they're being paid ****ing increments on their pay! INCREMENTS. And I don't want this to be seen as public sector bashing, because we all know (or at least we should) that the majority of front line staff in the public sector are bloody fantastic people, but it's these ***** on 100k a year that piss me off.

Not to mention that they're still negotiating to try and avoid paying 3.1 billion to Anglo in March. Negotiating? **** off. Just tell them "Eh, no. We're keeping this money and using it to try and save the country as opposed to paying people who essentially played the stock market and lost. Get over it."

/rant

Is it wrong that I want a Furby for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah.... I guess you're right... but it just feels like those are drops in an ocean compared to all the cuts.

I was actually generally impressed with the budget and I would in no way be a supporter of Fine Gael.

Yeah and I have had problems with the rise in college fees and the cut in home help.

However the majority of cuts were fair. Like a €10 cut in child benefit isn't signicant. Petrol and Diesel were left alone. The price rises inn alcohol were justified in all fairness and will hit both off licences and pubs and weren't implemented in a way that would give pubs a competitive advantage.

The tax rebate on diesel for hauliers companies can only be welcomed it will not only aid the transport industry but it should also help keep the cost of goods down or at least the same for the rest of us.

Maybe the property tax would have been better off if it was a site value tax but sure at least it is a step in the right direction.

The increase in PRSI is also pretty fair,t hose of us on minimum wage pay hardly any tax and I wouldn't have minded if it had been brought also been used on those earning less as we currently contribute hardly anything in tax and are most likely to claim welfare or a state pension etc.

Unfortunately the way it is implemented now if you earn €349 a week you avoid any PRSI bu if you earn €353 you will pay about €14 in PRSI and come out with less than those earning the €349. In other words it will severely reduce the incentive to do overtime.

The pensioners were targeted too, but in a fair manner. However I would question is the €1.5 prescription medicine charge too high, maybe if it was only €1.

An increase in car tax isn't a huge problem either. They should have gotten rid of the free travel pass for everyone except the disabled though.

Some sort of text tax could also have been implemented maybe..

Cian92 wrote: »
    Like a €10 cut in child benefit isn't signicant.

I'm sorry, but that's just bull****. That cut in particular is going to hit lower income families way worse than higher earners. Figures thrown around yesterday that a family with three children will lose 30euro. Kind of flies in the face a bit when you consider the survey done earlier this year that showed a high percentage of people had less than 100e to spare each week.

The fact is, 10e isn't significant unless you're already on the line, which a lot of people are unfortunately.

If they'd copped themselves on and went about implemented a means test that would outright take child benefit off of those who don't need it (families earning over 150k a year still get the same CB as those earning 20k a year) instead of this nonsense then I'd be the first to praise the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

The fact is, 10e isn't significant unless you're already on the line, which a lot of people are unfortunately.

Child benefit had to be cut. Means testing would have been alot more appropriate however it would be extremely costly. The cost would outweigh the savings. All in all €10 is not much at all, when you consider that the main welfare rates such as the dole and single parents allowance was left untouched. People should realise that children are going to be expensive when they make the decision to have children, yes the state should help them add they will continue to do so.

The cuts had to come from somewhere and child benefit was probably the one least likely to cause significant hurt to people. They left the fuel allowance intact.

Of course austerity isn't going to be popular but this budget has probably been one of the better ones so far. It has hasn't exactly caused huge harm to anyone.

Can't decide what phone to buy. It's down to the iPhone5 or the Galaxy 3 but I got a text today telling me the Galaxy 4 is on its way so I don't know weather to hood out for that or what. Any opinions guys to help narrow it?

Like I wouldn't mind the iPhone because it would be a change plus I like the idea of isms would help keep in contact with the partner, and it does look gorgeous

The SG3 is ultra thin though. Much bigger. Speed is not a major factor. Or not that I could have ever cared about.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

This is completely off topic but, hi I'm new here *cowers in fear of getting pummeled*

Also someone mentioned band names with no vowels, please mention one, I can't think of any....

This is completely off topic but, hi I'm new here *cowers in fear of getting pummeled*

Also someone mentioned band names with no vowels, please mention one, I can't think of any....

There is no topic. Only every couple of pages when an intense topic arrives. Yesterday was political, before that was essentials and condoms. For an off topic thread there's a lot of topics hidden within it. Also wilkommen enjoy ur stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Really horrible accident outside Trinity today. I knew there was bad since they shut down several streets, but it's even worse than I thought; they're saying the guy who got killed was decapitated by a bus he was pushed in front of. So horrible, I really feel for the driver and anyone in the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Heard about that too. The independent are saying he was pushed, rte etc. are saying he fell after he was hit. An absolutely awful way to go. Fair play to the bus driver for controlling the bus, and not crashing with the shock. So awful.

Yeah the bus was still there and there were Guards and forensic people everywhere when I was walking out of the arts block, such a horrible atmosphere and it must have been awful for the bus driver...

MSTRKRFT, Chk chk chk (!!!), lynryd skynryd, nsync, XTC, MGMT, Styx, McFly, b52s, M83, DMX

...SBTRKT (genuinely had no idea how to say this for months)

MSTRKRFT, Chk chk chk (!!!), lynryd skynryd, nsync, XTC, MGMT, Styx, McFly, b52s, M83, DMX

Y is a vowel in those. #pedant

• Advertisement

Y is a vowel in those. #pedant

Since when did the vowels change since I left school?

Jhcx wrote: »
    Since when did the vowels change since I left school?

Y has always been a vowel in words such as "my", "why", "cry", "hymn", "gym", etc.
    The letter Y can be regarded as both a vowel and a consonant. In terms of sound, a vowel is 'a speech sound which is produced by comparatively open configuration of the vocal tract, with vibration of the vocal cords but without audible friction...', while a consonant is 'a basic speech sound in which the breath is at least partly obstructed'. The letter Y can be used to represent different sounds in different words, and can therefore fit either definition. In myth or hymn it's clearly a vowel, and also in words such as my, where it stands for a diphthong (a combination of two vowel sounds). On the other hand, in a word like beyond there is an obstacle to the breath which can be heard between two vowels, and the same sound begins words like young and yes. (This consonant sound, like that of the letter W, is sometimes called a 'semivowel' because it is made in a similar way to a vowel, but functions in contrast to vowels when used in words.) Whether the letter Y is a vowel or a consonant is therefore rather an arbitrary decision.
    SOURCE

Y has always been a vowel in words such as "my", "why", "cry", "hymn", "gym", etc.

SOURCE

Now thi.gs like that they should be teaching that in school.

Now thi.gs like that they should be teaching that in school.

I genuinely learned that from The Simpsons ages ago.

Homer asks Lisa if he can help with her homework and she replies that she needs to find five words where Y is the vowel. Much Googling followed. :pac:

yet what you quoted says
    Whether the letter Y is a vowel or a consonant is therefore rather an arbitrary decision.

And I arbitrarily decide it to be a consonant. Go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The Ancient Egyptians didn't write their vowels and they're all dead so take from that what you will.

Wish I could get my English accent back.

Wish I could get my English accent back.

Cor blimey mate! You wanna do old blighty proud again? You just keep watching that Danny Dyer bloke on the telly and bob's your uncle! You'll be havin proper chin-wags in no time bruv. Easy peasy innit.

Cor blimey mate! You wanna do old blighty proud again? You just keep watching that Danny Dyer bloke on the telly and bob's your uncle! You'll be havin proper chin-wags in no time bruv. Easy peasy innit.

Rofl. Ha ha. Am maybe an accent somewhere in the 21st century lol. Been told chicks in America dig English lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Rofl. Ha ha. Am maybe an accent somewhere in the 21st century lol. Been told chicks in America dig English lads.

BRAP YO BLUDRINS
    Haha did ya hear about Tom? Wot a nobhead.
    It was well reem innit, he didn't done his homework cuz you didn't give it at him! he wants to stab u wasteman, peak times for u innit wot a boomting, blud.
    Check out mah burberry innit, well jel you are!

tr0llface wrote: »

BRAP YO BLUDRINS
    Haha did ya hear about Tom? Wot a nobhead.
    It was well reem innit, he didn't done his homework cuz you didn't give it at him! he wants to stab u wasteman, peak times for u innit wot a boomting, blud.
    Check out mah burberry innit, well jel you are!

That's well like it mate.

What do people think about iTunes 11?

Really like the subtle UI changes, and the option to turn on and off the Sidebar is quite nice. Although I don't like the way Radio is in the Music tab, I don't know why. And the addition of a Playing Next system for regular playing as opposed to just in iTunes DJ is something I've wanted for ages.

It also seems faster to start up, and no longer blocks the taskbar when maximised.

All in all I like it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Love it, but it essentially broke playlist management

What do people think about iTunes 11?

Really like the subtle UI changes, and the option to turn on and off the Sidebar is quite nice. Although I don't like the way Radio is in the Music tab, I don't know why. And the addition of a Playing Next system for regular playing as opposed to just in iTunes DJ is something I've wanted for ages.

It also seems faster to start up, and no longer blocks the taskbar when maximised.

All in all I like it. :)

There are great features nice UI. But the fact I lost the seperate windows and there was something else put me off upgrading.

Colm! wrote: »
    Love it, but it essentially broke playlist management

Really? I've never been big into playlists (except when I'm specifically putting together songs for a project), but it seems to be essentially the same to me once you press CTRL+S.

Another new feature which I like is that Downloads pop out into a seperate window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

CTRL+S.

nobody told me this.
    I now love iTunes 11 totally.

How do you load songs quickly into Itunes that aren't in the library? As in those from a folder.

It takes so long!

flyswatter wrote: »
    How do you load songs quickly into Itunes that aren't in the library? As in those from a folder.

It takes so long!

For iTunes 11, select the thing in the top left, and select "Show Menu Bar".
    Go to File > Add Folder to Library.
    Select the Folder where your music is.
    Should do what you're looking for. :)

For iTunes 11, select the thing in the top left, and select "Show Menu Bar".
    Go to File > Add Folder to Library.
    Select the Folder where your music is.
    Should do what you're looking for. :)

Perfect. Loads them way faster. Thank you. This is the only Itunes I've ever even close to liked. Was never a fan.

you can also dragndrop the folder into itunes..

• Advertisement

you can also dragndrop the folder into itunes..

Didn't work for me yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Bought the iPhone 5 today. Having mixed reactions about it. Big change from the android. What I do feel is the android is more advanced in terms of how user demanding it is. That u can really play with it with the home screen. The iPhone it's like here are ur apps. Here is ur call, text , email and Internet oh and we've dumbed down the keyboard for u retards out there. In fact if anything it's a dumb downed version of the android. Lovely screen, lovely to hold , lovely to look at but just lacks the customisation . Well least in two years android should have pushed well up the game and I can move on again. But I do like the phone.

Bought the iPhone 5 today. Having mixed reactions about it. Big change from the android. What I do feel is the android is more advanced in terms of how user demanding it is. That u can really play with it with the home screen. The iPhone it's like here are ur apps. Here is ur call, text , email and Internet oh and we've dumbed down the keyboard for u retards out there. In fact if anything it's a dumb downed version of the android. Lovely screen, lovely to hold , lovely to look at but just lacks the customisation . Well least in two years android should have pushed well up the game and I can move on again. But I do like the phone.

They were probably too busy counting all the lovely cash.

flyswatter wrote: »

They were probably too busy counting all the lovely cash.

Mmm . I was saying before I was rudely interrupted that I pray to god I like this phone. But I just found its biggest error every time u loose reception u loose the page ur working on. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh don't think I'll be able to deal with that. Will personally cripple me cause I go in and out of bad reception . Think this is my first and last iPhone

Walking down to Buckingham palace and I notice I'm huming the Irish anthem. Oh dear.

Every time I venture southward I'm asked to bring along a tonne of backbreaking Football Special. I should really be given a commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

So the cure for a disjointed jaw: Pre op levels of valium pretty much and chewy sweets. Normally people are given 5mg for things like flying. I've just taken 10mg and have to take another 10mg later to hopefully get my jaw back into place. If that still doesn't work I've to take another 10mg in the morning and go to the A&E to get it shoved back in.

I'm going to have a fun night. Took them like 20 minutes ago and I can feel them already. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Every time I venture southward I'm asked to bring along a tonne of backbreaking Football Special. I should really be given a commission.
    I only found out what that was recently. Weird name for a drink.

Here lads, the guys in AH are raising money for the Santa Strike Force. If you have some spare cash be sure and head on over here and give what you can. They're at about €3,000 so far, and there are goals set out that will result in the AH mods getting in the nip. :P

For the next 10 or so hours your donation will count for double, thanks to the legend that is Beasty.

Just posting here in case, like me, ye don't frequent AH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement