Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Just a quick question lads, I didn't make a thread because it's a yes/no answer... Is agricultural science a recognised science? Like where I need it, can I use it? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Lawliet wrote: »
    No it's not! Why would we have an innate need to eat meat when we can't even digest the stuff?

Clearly I am the less educated here, what do you mean by we can't digest meat? Do our bodies struggle to process meat?

My understanding was that we have adapted to eating meat, like our incisor teeth(Aren't they the ones that are meant to be good at cutting through meat?)
    Plus some nutrients are hard to come by elsewhere.

And lastly, Bacon. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Eathrin wrote: »
    Clearly I am the less educated here, what do you mean by we can't digest meat? Do our bodies struggle to process meat?

My understanding was that we have adapted to eating meat, like our incisor teeth(Aren't they the ones that are meant to be good at cutting through meat?)
    Plus some nutrients are hard to come by elsewhere.

And lastly, Bacon. That is all.
    We can't digest raw meat, our teeth, digestional tract and immune system just isn't cut out to deal with it. We can tolerate cooked meat, but high consumption is linked to many health problems (although reports about that are hard to put into context when so many people have crap diets anyway).
    Also while meat itself has vitamins and important trace elements, I have to wonder how many of them actually survive the cooking process. Many vitamins are sensitive to heat, and microwaves can destroy many of the ones that aren't.

I probably sound like biased vegetarian, but I honestly don't care if people eat meat or not, I just dislike when people use false information to justify their meat eating ways :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bump up the cooking/recipes thread with some nice vegetarian recipes! I have one for a nice stir-fry and one for spinach and ricotta tortellini, but I'm always looking for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I'm sorry, but I just can't believe in a world where a chicken's menstrual cycle is tasty by sheer coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Just a quick question lads, I didn't make a thread because it's a yes/no answer... Is agricultural science a recognised science? Like where I need it, can I use it? Thanks!
    As far as I've heard it's only recognised as a science in Ireland but that's it. So it's of no use to you outside of Ireland really......Correct me if I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

I'm sorry, but I just can't believe in a world where a chicken's menstrual cycle is tasty by sheer coincidence.

I will never look at an egg the same way again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Geography trip to Howth. Doesn't know where Howth is. Only the vaguest idea of how to get there. Can't even say it properly. Fun day :3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Sure can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

This was actually really good, although it seems Kony-Mania has died down, betcha it'll be mostly forgotten by April 20th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

^^^^

He hits the nail right on the head about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

There are some drunken self proclaimed "clondalkin gangstars" on my bus, sitting at the back, because they're shmad ou'. They're shouting about how happy they are to be going to Arklow for St. Paddy's day, and one of them claims there's going to be a massive rave in the main street. I have a feeling they've never left Dublin.

Also, one of them has just proclaimed that he doesn't sleep, because "sleep is for de English".

Edit: They're drinking champagne. Champagne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Also, one of them has just proclaimed that he doesn't sleep, because "sleep is for de English".

That's hilarious tbf, so stealing that one. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are some drunken self proclaimed "clondalkin gangstars" on my bus, sitting at the back, because they're shmad ou'. They're shouting about how happy they are to be going to Arklow for St. Paddy's day, and one of them claims there's going to be a massive rave in the main street. I have a feeling they've never left Dublin.

Edit: They're drinking champagne. Champagne.
    :eek:

But surely champagne is for the French!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

So lads, ye should all check out/make/say how wonderful this weeks cooking club recipe in the cooking and recipes forum is >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    So lads, ye should all check out/make/say how wonderful this weeks cooking club recipe in the cooking and recipes forum is >.>

My mum just made that! Weird :o More importantly, looks nommy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm mad restless tonight...bet its because I'm working all weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

One of the scummers at the shop called me a "Tall String Of Misery" when I was walking past a few minutes ago

:pac:

It gets worse...

Invisible Children Co-Founder Detained
    A co-founder for Invisible Children was detained in Pacific Beach on Thursday for being drunk in public and masturbating, according to San Diego Police Department.

Jason Russell, 33, was allegedly found masturbating in public, vandalizing cars and possibly under the influence of something, according to Lt. Andra Brown. He was detained at the intersection of Ingraham Street and Riviera Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

html.gif

And Charlie Brooker is awesome.

• Advertisement

So yeah, I'm definitely over my fear of shellfish anyway. Playing with lobsters in work will do that. The first one moving when I picked it up gave me a fright and I dropped it, but the rest were grand.

Meet pinchy

408424_2774136882412_1527754729_31846460_1347418535_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Lobster pic

No offence but you have extremely hairy arms...

No offence but you have extremely hairy arms...

And I even waxed them yesterday, you should see me after a week :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

FilmHarryHendersons.jpg

FilmHarryHendersons.jpg

Where'd you find my graduation photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

And we should indeed. Actually let's make this a weekly thing..."Pidwidgeon holding things".

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

I love peoples stupidity on facebook, it gives me so much enjoyment!

Little 14 year olds status "cant believe I'm guna do dis"
    Comment: do wa gurl?
    Comment: givn up da fags:). :pac:

I'm in the process of downloading an app to block time wasting websites during the day. Hopefully no more boards, facebook and tumblr during library time for me

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jorges

I'm in the process of downloading an app to block time wasting websites during the day. Hopefully no more boards, facebook and tumblr during library time for me

:eek:
    That's sounds really good, I'm going to download that onto Chrome too..

• Advertisement

Yeah I use Leechblock for Firefox. Lifesaver when reports are due

I would do anything for some chocolate right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I would do anything for some chocolate right now!
    Even going to the shop and buying chocolate?

Davidius wrote: »
    Even going to the shop and buying chocolate?

No! Must resist temptation! I must be a sex god for summer:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Hunger Games tonight ....yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Hunger Games tonight ....yay!

Enjoy ;)

Matt Smith's doctor <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Conor108 wrote: »
    Yeah I use Leechblock for Firefox. Lifesaver when reports are due

Would you not have the urge to keep disabling it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

flyswatter wrote: »

I know that's exactly what I'd do anyway :p

flyswatter wrote: »

During a lockdown you can't access add-ons to disable it. BULLETPROOF.

(Bar just opening chrome instead)

Aoifey! wrote: »
    I know that's exactly what I'd do anyway :p
    I think it mostly works because when you're procrastinating there's a part of your brain that wants the instant satisfaction and will contrasting be telling you "oh just check this, just for a second, now check this! And this and this!" when you make it harder to give into that part of your brain, the more sensible part has time to convince you to get back to work.
    Of course if you're determined to procrastinate, blocking website isn't going to be much help, you do need some self control for it to work :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Cold Turkey is great for blocking websites, there's pretty much no way around it at all; once you've decided how long to block the website for it's gone. I should know, I cracked after a day when I tried it, removed the whole program from my computer before reading that doing that automatically blocks the websites for a week, then when the week was up and it still wasn't working so I had to e-mail the guy who made the program and he had to guide me through getting everything to work again (admitting my complete lack of self-control was quite awkward and embarrassing too). So yeah, if you're as weak as me, it'll do the trick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I think it mostly works because when you're procrastinating there's a part of your brain that wants the instant satisfaction and will contrasting be telling you "oh just check this, just for a second, now check this! And this and this!" when you make it harder to give into that part of your brain, the more sensible part has time to convince you to get back to work.
    Of course if you're determined to procrastinate, blocking website isn't going to be much help, you do need some self control for it to work :pac:
    I see how they should work, but I think I'd be pretty set on procrastinating :pac:
    Slow Show wrote: »
    Cold Turkey is great for blocking websites, there's pretty much no way around it at all; once you've decided how long to block the website for it's gone. I should know, I cracked after a day when I tried it, removed the whole program from my computer before reading that doing that automatically blocks the websites for a week, then when the week was up and it still wasn't working so I had to e-mail the guy who made the program and he had to guide me through getting everything to work again (admitting my complete lack of self-control was quite awkward and embarrassing too). So yeah, if you're as weak as me, it'll do the trick. :)

I'm tempted to try it since i do have a lot of work to do, but I'd so end up spending more time trying to find a way around it than actually doing the work I had blocked it to do :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Slow Show wrote: »

you can use a proxy to get around it ? I'd probably have cracked too and either swapped my hard drive or totally reinstalled windows. I need to battle my procrastination at the root cause - me
    lol

It really annoys me when people just write the word out on the Draw Something app, they ruin my enjoyment :(

I need to get out more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I never post here anymore so am kinda ou of touch with all you young folk and your modern music and crazy hairstyles and whatnot. But hello. And stuff....

Zomg, it's captain graphite

/swoons

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I never post here anymore so am kinda ou of touch with all you young folk and your modern music and crazy hairstyles and whatnot. But hello. And stuff....

Race to The Gentlemen's Club?

Don't you mean the Ladies Lounge? :pac:

Don't you mean the Ladies Lounge? :pac:

I'm open-minded. ;)

Those places are for adults, I bet they all have mortgages and use their money to buy ornaments, and think gardening is a hobby. We're not like them! We're just post-teenagers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Zomg, it's captain graphite

/swoons

Ah, fear not young maiden. Swooning is a common reaction when gentle ladyfolk meet the good Captain. Have some butterscotch, my dear, and then resume your crochet.

I've posted there a couple of times but never really got a feel for the place. I'm not gentlemanly enough, y'see. No matter how lazy I am when it comes to shaving I never grow a moustache. :(
    Those places are for adults, I bet they all have mortgages and use their money to buy ornaments, and think gardening is a hobby. We're not like them! We're just post-teenagers

Hmph. When I was young, mortgages were only for Protestants and the bourgeoisie. And buildings were known as "trees" and recession was known as "the gold standard". And......

• Advertisement
Advertisement