Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Fittle wrote: »
    I just checked and flights to Rome next Wednesday, returning in 2 weeks work out at 515euro per person...far from cheap...

But they are only going one way and driving back. Also the old age pension in Ireland is very generous, my nana goes on a couple of foreign holidays a year with her club.

I also have no problem with Charlie and Esther using Skype, my in-laws are in their 70s and skype regularly with their son in Canada and occasionally with American relatives. I think both Charlie and Esther are the type of characters who would stay abreast of easy to use, very useful technologies like skype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I just checked and flights to Rome next Wednesday, returning in 2 weeks work out at 515euro per person...far from cheap...particularly for three men who I am assuming all live on the old age pension??? (I know it's not real and they're not really booking flights with aerlingus...but if they were....)

I checked one way with Ryanair for the 3 of them, it will only cost 311.64 Euro so pretty good deal if you ask me :) and if they wanted a return flight.. 663.36 EUR for the 3 of them :)

Bargain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

iguana wrote: »
    Also the old age pension in Ireland is very generous

Which pension is your nana on!!!

The State pension is around 200e a week - far from generous!!

angel01 wrote: »
    I checked one way with Ryanair for the 3 of them, it will only cost 311.64 Euro so pretty good deal if you ask me :) and if they wanted a return flight.. 663.36 EUR for the 3 of them :)

Bargain :D

Ah but there's NO WAY Charlie would fly Ryanair;)

Quite possibly you are right, the whole storyline is very OTT :eek:

The only bit I am enjoying was Cass and the eyetest stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,160 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How come Suzanne, Dolores and Carol werent invited to Orla's come not dine with me party?

Which pension is your nana on!!!

The State pension is around 200e a week - far from generous!!

The state pension, widow's contributory, 80+. €240pw is a lot of money for food and pocket money. Pensioners get fuel credit, free medical care, free travel and electricity and communication credits.

The state pension. €200pw is a lot of money for food and pocket money. Pensioners get fuel credit, free medical care, free travel and electricity and communication credits.

Does it not depend on who they are living with? I remember my Nana was living in her own house but my Uncle was living with her, she paid for all bills etc but she wasn't entitled to them all because he was earning and living with her.

I think your Nana is very lucky, a lot of people that age can barely afford food nevermind, a foreign holiday.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How come Suzanne, Dolores and Carol werent invited to Orla's come not dine with me party?

I would have thought at least Suzanne and Carol would have been invited (seeing as Yvonne was invited)...

Does it not depend on who they are living with? I remember my Nana was living in her own house but my Uncle was living with her, she paid for all bills etc but she wasn't entitled to them all because he was earning and living with her.

Once you are 70+ you are entitled to the households benefits package regardless of who lives with you. And the three lads in FC would all be entitled to it because the only people they live with are also eligible.
    I think your Nana is very lucky, a lot of people that age can barely afford food nevermind, a foreign holiday.

How so? My nana gets only has the minimum she is entitled to, the same as everyone else that age, give or take €10. The elderly are very, very, very well taken care of by the state in this country.

• Advertisement

Once you are 70+ you are entitled to the households benefits package regardless of who lives with you. And the three lads in FC would all be entitled to it because the only people they live with are also eligible.

How so? My nana gets only has the minimum she is entitled to, the same as everyone else that age, give or take €10. The elderly are very, very, very well taken care of by the state in this country.

A lot of people are not that lucky, I have seen plenty of people struggling, People who can't afford their weekly shopping etc.

A lot of people in this economy struggle. I had my first foreign holiday in about 10 years in January. Not everyone is as lucky as your Grandmother is...

Anyway, back to Fair City :D

A lot of people are not that lucky, I have seen plenty of people struggling, People who can't afford their weekly shopping etc.

A lot of people in this economy struggle. I had my first foreign holiday in about 10 years in January. Not everyone is as lucky as your Grandmother is...

Yeah lots of people are, but generally not the elderly, unless they have private medical bills, like Bela does for Rita, or have fallen foul of an equity release scheme or have large debts that they took on, often for their children. Charlie and Cass would have plenty of money for the Italian trip. I'm not sure about Bela though, did he agree to let Suzanne, Yvonne and Jimmy help pay for Rita's care a few months back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Didn't Charlies daughter win the Canadian lottery a while back. He'd be able to afford this trip
    I would have thought at least Suzanne and Carol would have been invited (seeing as Yvonne was invited)...

They might have been invited but Carol has just had a baby so her absence is excusable. I was more surprised at how friendly Niamh was towards Jo; hours after finding out she stole her coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,160 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Niamh needs to get some new clothes

Completely off-topic, but I have to completely disagree with that statement. They may get 'credits' off utilities, but they still have to pay a portion of their bills.

Now back to FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

One thing that struck me about Orla, Niamh and Dermish last night is that they could all just as easily work from home. Why pay Leo rent when they can do everything they need to do in the comfort of their houses??

Completely off-topic, but I have to completely disagree with that statement. They may get 'credits' off utilities, but they still have to pay a portion of their bills.

Only if they use a lot of energy. When my great-grandfather died his bills were all in 3 or 4 figures of credit because his state credits more than covered his bills and then the credits carried over bill after bill. The annual allowances for pensioners are an awful lot more than I pay on energy annually and the boiler in my rental is over 30 year old, so highly inefficient. At present, though I'm sure it will change over the next few years, pensioners are incredibly well looked after by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 los5845

Is Suzanne still meant to be pregnant??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

Only if they use a lot of energy. When my great-grandfather died his bills were all in 3 or 4 figures of credit because his state credits more than covered his bills and then the credits carried over bill after bill. The annual allowances for pensioners are an awful lot more than I pay on energy annually and the boiler in my rental is over 30 year old, so highly inefficient. At present, though I'm sure it will change over the next few years, pensioners are incredibly well looked after by the state.

I hope when you are an OAP you are healthy enough to enjoy the benefits of having worked your whole life paying taxes etc. Please take your rant to another thread. This thread is for discussion of Fair City.

I hope when you are an OAP you are healthy enough to enjoy the benefits of having worked your whole life paying taxes etc. Please take your rant to another thread. This thread is for discussion of Fair City.

I'm not ranting?:confused: Just like I wasn't ranting when I pointed out how much Jo and Dermot get as foster carers. I'm just pointing out that Charlie and Cass, have plenty of money for their trip due to the fact that pensioners in this country are well taken care of (Bela might not due to Rita's care costs). Exactly where did I rant or complain about it?

I've worked with Age Action here and in the UK (where pensioners are given very, very little in comparison to pensioners here) so I actually know exactly what I'm talking about as I've helped pensioners in both countries ensure they were getting their full entitlements.

• Advertisement

One thing that struck me about Orla, Niamh and Dermish last night is that they could all just as easily work from home. Why pay Leo rent when they can do everything they need to do in the comfort of their houses??

It's one of those things with television that centres around a community. Characters can't just work at home as they need to be out interacting with the other members of the community. It's the same reason that they all eat in Vinos or the Hungry Pig and go for pints even when they are broke.

It's no different to the fact that all but two (afaik) of the Coronation Street residents work on the same 3 streets or the fact that all social events in Eastenders happen on the square despite the fact that London is packed with fantastic pubs, clubs and restaurants. The characters have to, not only interact with each other, but be there to witness other character's big events even if they aren't personally involved.

But they are only going one way and driving back. Also the old age pension in Ireland is very generous, my nana goes on a couple of foreign holidays a year with her club.

I also have no problem with Charlie and Esther using Skype, my in-laws are in their 70s and skype regularly with their son in Canada and occasionally with American relatives. I think both Charlie and Esther are the type of characters who would stay abreast of easy to use, very useful technologies like skype.
    The state pension, widow's contributory, 80+. €240pw is a lot of money for food and pocket money. Pensioners get fuel credit, free medical care, free travel and electricity and communication credits.

Yeah lots of people are, but generally not the elderly, unless they have private medical bills, like Bela does for Rita, or have fallen foul of an equity release scheme or have large debts that they took on, often for their children. Charlie and Cass would have plenty of money for the Italian trip. I'm not sure about Bela though, did he agree to let Suzanne, Yvonne and Jimmy help pay for Rita's care a few months back?

Certainly seems like a rant to me.
    Not all old people live in the style of the picture that you are painting. Ok, pensioners here may be looked after better than pensioners in other countries but that doesn't mean that all pensioners here have the lavish lifestyle that you are portraying. I've worked in the emergency services and I've often come across elderly people living in absolute poverty and squalor.
    I won't be responding to any more of these posts as I don't want the thread to keep going off topic.

Certainly seems like a rant to me.

:confused: I'm seriously confused about what your problem is. I mentioned what pensioners get first off in the context of the show, and then each other post is in response to someone else's comments/questions. I've also tried to bring it back around to the show on a number of occasions. Not one word of that is even remotely like a rant but it's nice that you leave out the part of what I wrote that outlines how I actually worked at making sure elderly people were getting all of their entitlements. Hardly something that someone would do if they had a problem with it. After working in a country where the elderly are left very vulnerable, I happen to be damn proud of how well people are cared for here, and worried about the future for many of these people if/when their entitlements are cut as they are very likely to be.

It sort of seems to me that you decided to be nasty to me because you confused stating the facts with begrudgery. Then once it was pointed out to you that it was the opposite you grasped at straws to attempt to back up your mistake instead of apologising. Then follow up with "I won't be responding to any more of these posts as I don't want the thread to keep going off topic." allowing yourself carte blanch to be nasty and make false accusations.
    I've worked in the emergency services and I've often come across elderly people living in absolute poverty and squalor.

Sure they do but not because they are let down, financially, by their state entitlements. No offence but I've worked at the front line of this, and not just in emergency situations which will not allow you the full details of any situation. Elderly people live in poverty on the whole due to being taken advantage of by the unscrupulous, (too often their own families) and in squalor due to mental health conditions, which the state does not provide adequate care for in most situations.

I'd say he would but he wouldn't like anybody to know. Charlie always reminds me a bit of Hyacinth Bucket. (Boukay)

los5845 wrote: »
    Is Suzanne still meant to be pregnant??

Yes, this storyline develops next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

:confused: I'm seriously confused about what your problem is.

I'd be inclined to agree. I think you made a fair point. A lot of elderly people get a lot more than they need on the dole, including the money towards oil and electricity, etc. I was only talking to my own grandmother about this recently and she says that, as an 80-year-old woman living alone, the money she gets is just being stockpiled. She has reason to spend little in the week.

ANYWAY, I really don't think Iguana was "ranting". Gingersnaps, chillax. :cool: :D

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree. I think you made a fair point. A lot of elderly people get a lot more than they need on the dole, including the money towards oil and electricity, etc. I was only talking to my own grandmother about this recently and she says that, as an 80-year-old woman living alone, the money she gets is just being stockpiled. She has reason to spend little in the week.

ANYWAY, I really don't think Iguana was "ranting". Gingersnaps, chillax. :cool: :D

How on earth could you 'stockpile' on a wage of 200e a week:confused: You still have to eat - you still have to pay bills:confused: I've also worked on the 'front line' and the only pensioners who are doing ok are the ones who were paying into a private pension or are in receipt of a decent pension from the civil service (or similar). Your average pensioner cannot 'stockpile' and certainly in the case of Cas, who as far as I remember, arrived to carrigstown homeless and penniless, is definitely supposed to be living on the state pension.

How on earth could you 'stockpile' on a wage of 200e a week:confused: You still have to eat - you still have to pay bills:confused: I've also worked on the 'front line' and the only pensioners who are doing ok are the ones who were paying into a private pension or are in receipt of a decent pension from the civil service (or similar). Your average pensioner cannot 'stockpile' and certainly in the case of Cas, who as far as I remember, arrived to carrigstown homeless and penniless, is definitely supposed to be living on the state pension.

Well, I'm a student, and I manage to save a couple of thousand a year on 150 euro a week - and that includes paying rent, buying food, everything I own, etc.

A single person, as the case with my grandmother - and quite a few others - really don't have to pay much re: bills once the allowance comes in, given that she paid off her mortgage the best part of thirty years ago too.

I guess it really depends on the individual. :)

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Well, I'm a student, and I manage to save a couple of thousand a year on 150 euro a week - and that includes paying rent, buying food, everything I own, etc.

How? If you could share those tips, I'd love to hear them.

• Advertisement

How? If you could share those tips, I'd love to hear them.

I have no idea if you're being serious or not, but I'll entertain the question.

I allow myself 110 euro a week to spend. Now, my rent is quite cheap as I live with six other people. Bills come to about 10 euro a month, per person. Food is all from Aldi, so it's about a tenner for three weeks worth. (I literally live on waffles. :D

What's left over goes into my bank account.

Over the summer, I work part time, to keep the income coming.

Like I said, it largely depends on circumstance. Only a couple of weeks ago, my grandmother said she gets more than enough on the pension - BUT she has no rent, no mortgage, only one TV so tiny bills, etc.

It would make sense in the context of the show for the likes of Cass to have little money - he has to be rent in Dublin, and spends a LOT of time in the pub and the Hungry Pig and pottering around.

Anyway, going kinda off-topic so this'll be my last response on the whole money issue. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement