Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

A dirty little terrier! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Hitchens

it's hard not to have sympathy for Tommy though, being betrayed by his wife and brother :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Zak's accent is really really really really really really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

amdublin wrote: »
    Zak's accent is really really really really really really annoying.

Fixed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 averageperson

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think Jo looks older than 40.

Well, the doc at 58 is doing very well. Her acting tonight in this big scene with tommy is atrocious though...just seems like a pedestrian read-through of lines with no emotional centre or dynamic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Well, the doc at 58 is doing very well. Her acting tonight in this big scene with tommy is atrocious though...just seems like a pedestrian read-through of lines with no emotional centre or dynamic.

That scene just there was terrible and terrible script...

"He said it to me.. right to my face.."

Miley and Dinny would have booted him off Glenroe for such poor acting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Right! Everyone!
    Over to the At Your Service thread!!!

Excitement!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I thought Jim Bartley was very good as Bela, when he found out about Rita's passing

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Does Dermot own any clothes outside of the brown colour spectrum? Also Cass is supposedly broke yet could afford to jet off at a moments notice on his travels...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Cathyht wrote: »
    I don't call bullying and trying to control her, get her out of Dublin to suit him, "growing a set"

Easy tiger, I wouldn't call it bullying or controlling her (if she hadn't been going on maternity leave maybe he would have just kicked her out of the house and not banished her to Cork) Not only did she leave Ben behind but she also was the cause of Kelly and Zoe being fostered elsewhere as Dermot wasn't allowed keep them on his own. She could have fought more to stay nearby (obviously if she wasn't on maternity leave)
    Her moving back and trying to muscle back in on the house is having a worse impact on Ben - at least when he was getting to see Jo in Cork, her and Dermot weren't fighting, he wasn't living in hope of a reconciliation.
    She missed out on time with Ben when she was in Cork but she should have thought of that before she jumped into bed with "the dirty little terrier"
    You say she has a right to the house but surely when Dermot married her he had a right to his wife actually fulfilling her vow to be faithful.
    Whatever about a rota of who uses what room when they should come up with a custody agreement and he can move out if he didn't want to live with her...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭maurasmith50

laylag wrote: »
    Also Cass is supposedly broke yet could afford to jet off at a moments notice on his travels...?!

Was he not talking about someone (Finbarr or something??) picking him up ?

Cass always was a bit of a scrounger anyways , so probably won't be paying too much towards the travels :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cass is hardly jetting off, he is riding shotgun in a camper van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Devildoll84

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think Jo looks older than 40.

Edit: The actress, Rachel Sarah Murphy who plays her is only 29 or 30 according to Digital Spy :eek:

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.ie/showbiz/s95/fair-city/news/a340023/fair-city-actress-rachel-sarah-murphy-announces-pregnancy.html#ixzz2HECtUbXr

No f**kin way is she only twenty eight - I'm only that, and I was a young teenager when Jo first came to Fair City, looking the same as she does now, apart from the glasses hanging around her neck, that is. She made her debut as the local librarian and friend of Mags Kelly - both women were fighting the library closure. Dermot was one of the local councilors who had voted to close the library - that's how he met Jo, and, yes, they were enemies at first.

Hitchens wrote: »
    it's hard not to have sympathy for Tommy though, being betrayed by his wife and brother :(
    I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I feel sorry for the oul' ram too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭maurasmith50

I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I feel sorry for the oul' ram too. :D

I kind of did too. But his solution could be best described as a Dillon solution to a Dillon problem I thought. Share The Doc between himself and Blackie , but above all, make sure everything is kept quiet :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Before Liam Heffernan became Luke Dillon in Fair City he will always be remembered as Blackie Connors in Glenroe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Hitchens

very near the knuckle stuff from FC before the watershed :D If you're easily shocked, look away now :D

TOMMY

I don't want to be with you if you're always
    thinking of him.
    JUDITH
    Tommy.

TOMMY
    So, go to him. Share his bed.

JUDITH
    After all I've put up with, you think you've the right to throw me out?

TOMMY
    I never said move in with him.

JUDITH, A LOOK.

TOMMY
    Just go and get whatever you think you need.

JUDITH
    Don't be obscene.

TOMMY
    And you don't be so pious. Let's see how long it takes before you realise what kind of man he really is.

JUDITH
    What are you, my pimp?

TOMMY, A LOOK.

JUDITH
    Is this your way of winning back the moral high ground?

TOMMY
    You need to realise that whatever he's promising, isn't real.

JUDITH
    He only makes promises he can keep.

TOMMY

Listen to yourself.

JUDITH, A LOOK. SHE MAKES TO GO.

TOMMY
    You're not over him, so, do it. Have your affair, Judy. Get it out of your system so that we can get on with our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

No f**kin way is she only twenty eight - I'm only that, and I was a young teenager when Jo first came to Fair City, looking the same as she does now, apart from the glasses hanging around her neck, that is. She made her debut as the local librarian and friend of Mags Kelly - both women were fighting the library closure. Dermot was one of the local councilors who had voted to close the library - that's how he met Jo, and, yes, they were enemies at first.

According to this article she was 33 in March 2006, so that makes her around the 40 mark March this year. She looked older 10 years ago, I think she has improved.
    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-143232096.htmlx

branie wrote: »
    I thought Jim Bartley was very good as Bela, when he found out about Rita's passing

I felt too short-changed by the lack of a death scene to notice Bela's reaction. Never has a character been so invisible as Rita these last few years, 'existing' only through the medium of reported speech. I often wondered why they kept the role alive - would they make a comedy spin-off set in a nursing home and staffed by the former token ethnic minority FC actors, who always disappear after a few months....or would the invisible Doyles ( Rita, Jimmy and Suzanne) all be discovered in a secret cellar prison, and Bela exposed as a Fritzl-like fiend? Surely the writers had something planned for Rita having kept her breathing and in cold storage for so long? Seemingly not. No farewell scene or grisly end, just more reported speech and her (reportedly) 'slipping away'.

More and more characters exist only through the reports of others and hardly appear onscreen at all. I think they should have done with it and write FC as a one-man show with all the action as reported speech. Have Eamon Morrissey do it just as he used to do Flann O'Brien's The Brother. In fact, Morrissey/Cass spinning yarns and doing imitations of the cast would probably be a lot more fun...

Zumo is missing in action again, and the awful young Bishop one. Zumo's name real name is Patrick Fitzpatrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

First they came for Cleo and Robert
    But I didn't have a face limited to one scowling expression or a role limited to exhibiting Asperger's syndrome so I didn't speak up for them.

Then, they came for Barry and Sarah
    But I hadn't accidentally murdered anyone with huge orb-like eyes and buried them in the wilds of Wicklow so I didn't speak up for them.

Then they came for Keith and Finn
    But I hadnt suddenly discovered I had been adopted, sold my business and decided to roam the earth with my non-biological brother...so I didn't speak up for them.

Then they came for haggard old ugly Rita
    But I was not haggard or old or ugly, as long as you could ignore my George Hook-like squashy nose, so I didn't speak up for her.

Finally they came for me
    And there was no one to speak up for me.

That deserves a comment: brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Apologies but have just started watching again after having a wonky telly with no RTE 1 for a while.

When did Judith become the female version of The General?! Two brothers?! Seriously?!

Where are Charlotte, Cleo, Sash, Zumo, Robert, Neil, Louie's ex-wife, Dearbhla, Sean?

What happened with Lucy?

Is Rita dead? Did she not die ages ago?

Again, apologies! Have been watching for the past few weeks on/off to try & catch up but half the cast are missing?!

lol at zack last time you had an affair i have to leave school wtf **** up you twat

• Registered Users Posts: 22 femmefatale

Hitchens wrote: »
    very near the knuckle stuff from FC before the watershed :D If you're easily shocked, look away now :D

TOMMY

I don't want to be with you if you're always
    thinking of him.
    JUDITH
    Tommy.

TOMMY
    So, go to him. Share his bed.

JUDITH
    After all I've put up with, you think you've the right to throw me out?

TOMMY
    I never said move in with him.

JUDITH, A LOOK.

TOMMY
    Just go and get whatever you think you need.

JUDITH
    Don't be obscene.

TOMMY
    And you don't be so pious. Let's see how long it takes before you realise what kind of man he really is.

JUDITH
    What are you, my pimp?

TOMMY, A LOOK.

JUDITH
    Is this your way of winning back the moral high ground?

TOMMY
    You need to realise that whatever he's promising, isn't real.

JUDITH
    He only makes promises he can keep.

TOMMY

Listen to yourself.

JUDITH, A LOOK. SHE MAKES TO GO.

TOMMY
    You're not over him, so, do it. Have your affair, Judy. Get it out of your system so that we can get on with our lives.
    Did they leave the pimp bit out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I think their references to Kilkenny are hilarious!

Every so often the young lad will wander through the kitchen in a Kilkenny jersey, and I noticed they have a Kilkenny headband hanging in their car. And then this evening watching some replay on telly of a hurling match. It's laughable at this stage- what would they do with any other county??!!

This despite the fact that there is no need really to reference Kilkenny anymore, and besides is no way those kids ever lived in Kilkenny with those accents!

laylag wrote: »
    Does Dermot own any clothes outside of the brown colour spectrum? Also Cass is supposedly broke yet could afford to jet off at a moments notice on his travels...?!

Damien has been wearing that maroon t shirt with 'state line' written in yellow letters on it for about 5 years. Through personal changes in occupation and marital status, through changes of the show's theme music, even through the metamorphosis of his brother into a totally new actor, the state line t-shirt remains a constant. It is his little black dress, perfect for any occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭iceblue

i thought either tommy/ luke said something very good tonight, one of them called the other a name and i just cant remember what it was now, but i remember thinking, ooh that was clever. ?....

the rita dying thing was a bit over-shadowed by the dillion drama, not to mention the hassle over in dermot and jo's house, ' oh by the way happy birtday jo!!', said maeve, funniest moment for me tonight. ....like many have already said i dont know why dermot just doesnt go and live with maeve whats the big deal? i hope this isnt going to go on forever. althought to be honest all their childish bickering is actually quite accurate, throw in a bit of pettyness re access to the child prodigy ben and it would be even more realistic.

but back to rita, i cant stand bella, dont think hes a good actor at all. and im not looking forward to him moaning about his dead wife and blaming cas for it all. how long has she been in this vegetitative state anyway, sure shes better off dead, which is what i was hoping yvonne would say.....

hope the roumours of yvonne leaving arent true shes one of my favourites. i admire her no nonsense approach to life and wish i could be more like her, instead of the sap i am. i let people dance all over me?....

iceblue wrote: »
    i thought either tommy/ luke said something very good tonight, one of them called the other a name and i just cant remember what it was now, but i remember thinking, ooh that was clever. ?....

the rita dying thing was a bit over-shadowed by the dillion drama, not to mention the hassle over in dermot and jo's house, ' oh by the way happy birtday jo!!', said maeve, funniest moment for me tonight. ....like many have already said i dont know why dermot just doesnt go and live with maeve whats the big deal? i hope this isnt going to go on forever. althought to be honest all their childish bickering is actually quite accurate, throw in a bit of pettyness re access to the child prodigy ben and it would be even more realistic.

but back to rita, i cant stand bella, dont think hes a good actor at all. and im not looking forward to him moaning about his dead wife and blaming cas for it all. how long has she been in this vegetitative state anyway, sure shes better off dead, which is what i was hoping yvonne would say.....

hope the roumours of yvonne leaving arent true shes one of my favourites. i admire her no nonsense approach to life and wish i could be more like her, instead of the sap i am. i let people dance all over me?....

Luke called Tommy a 'muck savage' if that's what you're talking about.:D

Something to Judith was said by Luke, he called Tommy a terrier, a "something" terrier, can't remember exactly what. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭iceblue

muck savage! that was it. thanks a million. havent heard that expression in yrs, made me laugh anyway. i love fair city. its just mental. its a bit like my guilty pleasure or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement