Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

IsMiseLisa wrote: »

Like I said, it largely depends on circumstance.
    Actually, you didn't say that - you said it depends on the individual, which is an entirely different thing.

In the case of Cass, he appears to be living on the small pension - and this is the first I've seen of the character having any money at all - it's usually all about trying to make a few bob with Cass.

Anyway, I think the whole trip to Italy thing is way ott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Does anyone else feel that this is totally taking away from the thread?! I'm sure everybody knows plenty of sly bucks like cass that act poor but have their money rolled up in socks thrown in the attic to dodge the taxman! Also he never seems to actually pay for his own drink/food, he always seems to sneakily get somebody else to pay so I'd say money isn't really an issue. Finally, who actually cares?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

[QUOTE=C-J;Finally, who actually cares?![/QUOTE]

'Care' is possibly the wrong term. In my (humble) opinion, people care enough to reply to this post. I cared enough to comment that pensioners in Ireland weren't doing well enough to stockpile their money etc.

I am a massive fan of FC - and I'm not ashamed to say it - but I think when the storylines go over the top and blur what is the reality of how we are all living at the moment, that if there are people who 'care' enough to comment, well, let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,160 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So Esther in in London at least they finally mentioned her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So Esther in in London at least they finally mentioned her :rolleyes:

They must have been reading this thread :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im starting to think FC actually enjoys being a poorly-acted show and revels in it- in their eyes, the ratings are quite high and they are meeting their advertsing costs so who cares about such things as quality scripts, actors and actresses who can actually ACT or decent storylines. Its well known that FC is a national joke and many people tune in just to laugh at it, but this is a real shame when people genuinely want to see well-acted, well-scripted quality Irish drama- for that, you have to watch Single Handed or Raw etc. Its just a shame that our only scripted drama has become such a laughing stock and when they try to tackle issues like domestic abuse, recession, criminal gangs, affairs, they come across even worse (Sarah Flood is an apalling actress). There is more than enough room for a second soap set in Ireland where the storylines and actors make people believe in what they are saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's ridiculous to expect Fair City to match Single-Handed in terms of quality when Fair City goes out 4 days a week and Single-Handed airs about 4 episodes a year.

Fair City compares reasonably well to Raw which is vastly over-rated and is, in effect, a soap opera masquerading as drama.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It's ridiculous to expect Fair City to match Single-Handed in terms of quality when Fair City goes out 4 days a week and Single-Handed airs about 4 episodes a year.

Fair City compares reasonably well to Raw which is vastly over-rated and is, in effect, a soap opera masquerading as drama.

My point is that FC will never be a show which features quality, gripping drama because it doesnt care enough about its viewers and only wants the ratings to match up but sooner or later someone will have to fill this gap in the market for quality scriped and regular irish drama because hell will freeze over before FC can do drama properly, there are only really 3 people in FC who can act (Vivienne, Bob and Ester) and they are from the old school with years of experience behind them; indeed, i dont understand why they are wasting their time at FC :confused:.

Incidentally, going out 4 times a week has nothing to do with it- other soaps can manage effective storylines and drama whilst going out 5 times a week so thats just a cop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

My point is that FC will never be a show which features quality, gripping drama because it doesnt care enough about its viewers and only wants the ratings to match up but sooner or later someone will have to fill this gap in the market for quality scriped and regular irish drama because hell will freeze over before FC can do drama properly, .

Yep, I agree it's a terrible show but I tune in for a laugh when there is no soccer on. The acting is brutal! It's car crash stuff and as has been mentioned by others the appearance of a lot of the cast could lead to it being re-named 'Flab City'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Incidentally, going out 4 times a week has nothing to do with it- other soaps can manage effective storylines and drama whilst going out 5 times a week so thats just a cop out.
    It has everything to do with it.
    Single Handed have months produce an hour of television.
    Fair City has about 2 days.
    If you expect the same quality and better from Fair City as Single Handed then you are delusional.
    I'm not even sticking up for Fair City - it's just basic common sense.

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It has everything to do with it.
    Single Handed have months produce an hour of television.
    Fair City has about 2 days.
    If you expect the same quality and better from Fair City as Single Handed then you are delusional.
    I'm not even sticking up for Fair City - it's just basic common sense.

How is it common sense? Take emmerdale for example- it goes out 5 times a week and has had some absolutely fantastic sorylines of late, the only difference between the 2 is that emmerdale has actors who can act. Ok, you cant always get a fantastic episode every day its on but my point is FC is not the place to go to for drama, be it once a week or seven times a week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

How is it common sense? Take emmerdale for example- it goes out 5 times a week and has had some absolutely fantastic sorylines of late, the only difference between the 2 is that emmerdale has actors who can act. Ok, you cant always get a fantastic episode every day its on but my point is FC is not the place to go to for drama, be it once a week or seven times a week..

Fair City hardly has the same budget as Emmerdale does for heavens sake..:rolleyes: Look how much it pays its cast. They are all very well paid, the FC cast also have other work to compliment their salaries.

From what I read recently, I read:
    John Middleton (Ashley in Emmerdale) is on less than £100,000 as he quoted his salary as "5 figures".

If you don't like it or enjoy it, don't watch the show, change the channel. Is it really worth posting on and on if you don't like it. I don't see the point myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

"I see. The best entertainment you can find at eight o'clock in the evening is watching a soap you don't like. Uhuh. And then you - you do what now? You seek out a fan thread to complain about it? Right. Of course you do. Why wouldn't you?"

:eek:

[backs away slowly]

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnyway, back to the thread. Yes, the eBay story was pretty poor, wasn't it? That should have bubbled along for weeks. I would have much preferred to see the bids going in from Dermot and Paul every day, building up the suspense, rather than pretending that it can all happen in one day. Auctions are supposed to be dramatic, but they messed this one up in a way that made it boring. Dermot and Jo stealing from Paul and Niamh should have been a HUGE deal, instead of Paul apologising for being angry about it. It was terribly weak.

On the good side, I thought the Philip story was lovely. He wants to go home to his mother, but he knows that leaving Dermot and Jo may cost them their house. A terrible dilemma for a kid, and I thought the young actor played it very well. I normally hate to see kids in it, because let's face it we've had some stinkers, but he's growng on me.

angel01 wrote: »
    Fair City hardly has the same budget as Emmerdale does for heavens sake..:rolleyes: Look how much it pays its cast. They are all very well paid, the FC cast also have other work to compliment their salaries.

If you don't like it or enjoy it, don't watch the show, change the channel. Is it really worth posting on and on if you don't like it. I don't see the point myself!!

I wasnt really addressing you was I? And by the way, not everyone adores the show so an alternative view is possible, you should keep that in mind whenever you butt in to "correct" peoples views. Its a FC thread, not a fan thread, can you see the difference??

"I see. The best entertainment you can find at eight o'clock in the evening is watching a soap you don't like. Uhuh. And then you - you do what now? You seek out a fan thread to complain about it? Right. Of course you do. Why wouldn't you?"

:eek:

[backs away slowly]

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnyway, back to the thread. Yes, the eBay story was pretty poor, wasn't it? That should have bubbled along for weeks. I would have much preferred to see the bids going in from Dermot and Paul every day, building up the suspense, rather than pretending that it can all happen in one day. Auctions are supposed to be dramatic, but they messed this one up in a way that made it boring. Dermot and Jo stealing from Paul and Niamh should have been a HUGE deal, instead of Paul apologising for being angry about it. It was terribly weak.

On the good side, I thought the Philip story was lovely. He wants to go home to his mother, but he knows that leaving Dermot and Jo may cost them their house. A terrible dilemma for a kid, and I thought the young actor played it very well. I normally hate to see kids in it, because let's face it we've had some stinkers, but he's growng on me.

I agree with you on the ebay story, it was all too rushed, they could have built that up over a few episodes rather than finishing it all so quickly. It makes it seem like that is how Ebay would work (which clearly isn't the case!)

Still I agree with you on the Philip story, it is about time that Philip got something to work with, he has been left in the background for too long and what a moral dilemma that is... :( I like the actor who plays him, he portrays him really well...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

And so the voyage begins.........

And so the voyage begins.........

It should be a spin-off. The four lads would be great together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

They could make a dvd special out of it like coronation street did for Las Vegas.

Still I agree with you on the Philip story, it is about time that Philip got something to work with, he has been left in the background for too long and what a moral dilemma that is... :( I like the actor who plays him, he portrays him really well...

I just hope he isn't being written out now. It happens too often that they develop a character and then waste him. Philip is a keeper.

I just hope he isn't being written out now. It happens too often that they develop a character and then waste him. Philip is a keeper.

From what I have read...
    he leaves and kisses Dearbhla before he goes. Jo realises she has to focus on the foster kids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They could make a dvd special out of it like coronation street did for Las Vegas.

I was sure that's what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

iguana wrote: »
    I was sure that's what was happening.

But do we seriously think that the Fair City budget will stretch to filming the old codgers on location in Italy? Or will it be filmed in the gardens of Montrose with a few dodgy Italian accents thrown in for good measure? ;)

The point was made earlier but I find it impossible to believe that Keith would just happen to come across Cass's van when he was in Italy. The chances of that are about a million to one :rolleyes:

Also, why don't Dermish and Jo go into full-time foster caring? Say, they take in 4 kids, that's about €1,200 a week. Lovely jubbly! Does anybody know the number of the fostering people at the HSE? I think I might do that myself ;)

Also, how come there are certain potential storylines that go absolutely nowhere? For instance, Bela struck up a friendship with a woman from the nursing home whose husband was a patient there (I think). What about a storyline where Bela feels attracted to this woman but feels guilty that he's possibly going to betray Rita once more?

Also, I still find amazing that Rita seems to have been completely forgotten as Bela sets out on his Italian odyssey. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Thats the first thing i thought of when they were talking about going to Italy. A full episode of the lads in Italy. I really like scenes when Cass and Charlie are having an argument. They are such different characters. When Charlie is planning something, it has to be done with military precision. Cass, on the other hand, is always looking for adventure and " plays it by ear ".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

But do we seriously think that the Fair City budget will stretch to filming the old codgers on location in Italy? Or will it be filmed in the gardens of Montrose with a few dodgy Italian accents thrown in for good measure? ;)

That's true, it would be expensive to film. Maybe a series of webisodes set in the camper would have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

The FC cast are also very well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,160 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Charlie comes back with a young Italian wife the look on Esther's face would be priceless :p

optogirl wrote: »
    The FC cast are also very well paid.

They are hardly paid the same as UK soapstars, now come on.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

They are hardly paid the same as UK soapstars, now come on.... :rolleyes:

Some of them are still paid far more than what their abilities dictate. :D Your wan who plays Caoimhe should offer her services for free. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Some of them are still paid far more than what their abilities dictate. :D Your wan who plays Caoimhe should offer her services for free. ;)

Yes!! I think its a disgrace that she makes a living from acting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

pavcro10 wrote: »
    Yes!! I think its a disgrace that she makes a living from acting

I think it's hilarious - especially given the fact that there *are* talented actors and actresses in Ireland. I have a couple of friends who are jobbing actors (some more successful than others) and only one says she'd be willing to work on Fair City.

Ditto in college, we were talking about job opportunities quite recently. I was the only one who said I'd be perfectly content to work on Fair City. The rest set there sights on London, or the US, or even the English soaps.

I think the standard of crew and actors drawn to Fair City isn't very good - they do their best with what they have.

Often it's silly and sometimes a tad rubbish, but I enjoy it for all it is and all it isn't. :D

/rant :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement