Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 melaniesk

Is Val a friend or a girlfriend of Leo now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Louie is seriously head wrecking. So smug...:(
    Have to agree, really don't like what they have done with Louie. He has gone from one extreme to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Is Lucy going to part of a baby swap plot from years ago maybe she is Dolores and harry's real daughter and lorainne wasnt. It used to happen that babies were sent home with the wrong parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

melaniesk wrote: »
    Is Val a friend or a girlfriend of Leo now?
    I think that there is zero chemistry between Val and Leo but I suspect that Leo will continue the relationship so that his daughter has a mother type figure in her life.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

deelite wrote: »
    Is Lucy going to part of a baby swap plot from years ago maybe she is Dolores and harry's real daughter and lorainne wasnt. It used to happen that babies were sent home with the wrong parents.

I love that plotline...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

The Suzanne and Damo story is a bit ridiculous.

Damien pretty much apologised to Suzanne tonight for drinking near her. They are both quite civil towards each other, but imagine if the roles were reversed. The fact Suzanne got off so lightly and since has seemed to completely have recovered from her domestic abuse tendencies (y'know, a little bit of bashing with a pool cue, some burning with an iron - your standard Saturday afternoon) to get her "happy" ending is stupid.

Legit, if it was the other way round, and Damo was swanning around with a pregnant missus with no repercussions for what he did, there'd be so much controversy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Val is a nun in Father Ted on RTE TWO right now for anybody that's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

haha watching actually!
    & i'd like to note that i really like val.......i didn't like her at first, but she has grown on me. she's getting a bum deal with leo at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Here she is as Sr. Assumpta in Fr. Ted.

father-ted-s2e8-sweet-memories_200x113.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Damien pretty much apologised to Suzanne tonight for drinking near her. They are both quite civil towards each other, but imagine if the roles were reversed. The fact Suzanne got off so lightly and since has seemed to completely have recovered from her domestic abuse tendencies (y'know, a little bit of bashing with a pool cue, some burning with an iron - your standard Saturday afternoon) to get her "happy" ending is stupid.

Suzanne was just used as a cipher to run a "sensational" storyline about domestic abuse - with a twist. Her character should never have been used for something like that, as it was just too unbelievable that she would do it. Now, we're all expected to believe that it was just an abberation and she's back to being the salt-of-the-earth, helpful and happy Suzanne again. It's ridiculous. They should have used Yvonne or even maybe Caddle for that sort of storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I hope suzanne loses it one day and half volleys the baby out the door of vinos and makes damo cover for her.
    Thatll teach him for not reporting the abuse in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You know it is quite possible to have someone quite nice, happy and sweetness and light who can become abusive in the home. There is no stereotype for the time of person who can become violent.

I believe Suzanne has had counselling and there are a hell of a lot of people who don't even realise they have a problem :(

I have to ask, Harry Angstrom, why is it so unbelievable? People can change, you can date someone for a long time and everything be fine and then out of the blue, they can change and attack you for no good reason.

cloptrop, not many people can report people for domestic abuse, Encouraging domestic abuse (even as a joke) is not clever and not funny.

Everything isn't so black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,190 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I just hope they dont put Damo back with Suzanne

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Kinda seems like that's where to the storyline is going. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea.

cloptrop, not many people can report people for domestic abuse, Encouraging domestic abuse (even as a joke) is not clever and not funny.

Enccouraging domestic abuse in a soap is not unclever or unfunny , its just TV , And I want these avenues explored, if Suzanne was a real person I wouldnt want her chiping the baby 40yards up the street, but I do think itd be good TV.

They could dress her up in Hurling Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Grow up, mate. You're not funny.

Stop trolling - next time you'll be taking a break from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I actually would love them to get back together :o I loved them as a couple..

angel01 wrote: »
    I actually would love them to get back together :o I loved them as a couple..

They were a nice couple during their early stages and for a while when they were married. The domestic abuse storyline damaged them and it showed a very disturbing side to Suzanne. It is nice to see them as friends but I don't think they would be able to be a couple now. Sometimes things change and can't be fixed. I don't think I would watch FC if Suzanne became violent again.
    I found that was difficult viewing and as equally disturbing to watch as Damien's father killing his wife and then himself but that is just my personal take on it.

They were a nice couple during their early stages and for a while when they were married. The domestic abuse storyline damaged them and it showed a very disturbing side to Suzanne. It is nice to see them as friends but I don't think they would be able to be a couple now. Sometimes things change and can't be fixed. I don't think I would watch FC if Suzanne became violent again.
    I found that was difficult viewing and as equally disturbing to watch as Damien's father killing his wife and then himself but that is just my personal take on it.

I thought the domestic violence with damo and suzanne was the best storyline fair city had. It really raised an important issue that affects alot of men in Ireland . I actully tuned back into fair city during this stage. Real life isnt all rosy and stuff neither should soaps.
    I think some people on here take these charachters too close to their hearts and get too upset when bad stuff happens to these charachters. The show should be entertaining first fluffy and edible second.

Well Cloptrop as I said earlier that was only my personal opinion. I'm not speaking for anyone here except myself. Fair City is for viewers and there is also an off switch on my tv remote so all I have to do is press it. A different opinion is welcome, life would be very boring on here if everyone had the same opinion. I respect a different opinion from my own but I can't promise you that I will share your opinion. That's all. That's life!!!! Freedom of expression and all that. The trick here is not to troll people or to take things too personally.

• Advertisement

Well Cloptrop as I said earlier that was only my personal opinion. I am not speaking for everyone on the thread nor should I. You saw it differently and tuned into it during the showing of the domestic violence scenes. That is what Fair City is for - viewers! Your opinions are not the same as mine but then life would be boring if we were all on the same wavelength.The board here would also be boring if we all agreed with everything too. Such is life.
    No probs melanie this forum is for discussing our views

Real life is not a bed of roses, there are plenty of thorns. I do know that Cloptrop. I have the misfortune of being at the funeral of my daughter two years ago so I think I know that life can and does have some cruel blows. You can only pick up the pieces and move forward, that is certainly what I try to do each day.

Im very sorry to hear about your loss melanie.

thanks cloptrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

angel01 wrote: »
    You know it is quite possible to have someone quite nice, happy and sweetness and light who can become abusive in the home. There is no stereotype for the time of person who can become violent.

I believe Suzanne has had counselling and there are a hell of a lot of people who don't even realise they have a problem :(

I have to ask, Harry Angstrom, why is it so unbelievable? People can change, you can date someone for a long time and everything be fine and then out of the blue, they can change and attack you for no good reason.

Everything isn't so black and white.

Angel, violent people will always be violent, no matter how much they want to change. I had a neighbour who was regularly beaten up by her boyfriend. No matter how much he promised to change, something would always trigger him off and he'd be back to his old ways again before you knew it. I can't recall the number of times she took him back, only to be subjected to another beating a few weeks/months later. Eventually she got the message and got rid of him, but only after she'd been subjected to years of abuse. Leopards don't change their spots. The last I heard of him, he was in prison for assaulting somebody outside a nightclub.

What I find most disturbing about the Suzanne/Damien domestic abuse storyline is the way that Suzanne went from being a normal likeable character into a stark raving lunatic and then back to being a normal likeable character again. If you ask me, this sort of behaviour is typical of a calculating sociopath.

The whole reason for the Suzanne/Damien domestic abuse was purely for ratings. The actress who plays Suzanne appeared on chat shows, the RTE Guide gave it plenty of attention, and I don't think I've ever seen so many trailers for Fair City as I saw during the Suzanne/Damien domestic violence storyline. Call me a cynic but this was a sensationalist piece of drama that RTE milked for all it was worth - nothing more and nothing less. What I found most offensive was the way that RTE seemed to think it was some sort of public service remit on their part; shining a light into a taboo subject in Irish society :rolleyes:.
    As I said, I could believe it if the storyline involved Yvonne, but not Suzanne, and this is borne out by the fact that Suzanne is back to being her likeable, normal, everyday self, without even a hint of the psychopath that she was for a few weeks (when RTE were desperate for ratings), and with ZERO chance that she'll ever go back to those violent psychopathic ways again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Real life is not a bed of roses, there are plenty of thorns. I do know that Cloptrop. I have the misfortune of being at the funeral of my daughter two years ago so I think I know that life can and does have some cruel blows. You can only pick up the pieces and move forward, that is certainly what I try to do each day.

I'm sorry for what you have been through and that you have closed your account. Have been through some losses myself and have found other forum's and threads on Boards.ie a great help. I wish you the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cheekita

Yeah can you just imagine what would happen? Damo physically abuses the baby and Suzanne gets the blame because she had a history of domestic abuse towards damo.

cheekita wrote: »
    Yeah can you just imagine what would happen? Damo physically abuses the baby and Suzanne gets the blame because she had a history of domestic abuse towards damo.

OOH dear . Did you not know this is reality tv . Damo could sue you for slander.

cheekita wrote: »

Why would Damien beat the baby? :eek::confused:

Again, the posts (Harry's and Angel's in particular) inadvertently relate to the fact that Suzanne is a woman. Now, I'm not one to cry "reverse sexism" very often, but if Damien had been battering Suzanne (burning her with an iron, beating her senseless, and let's not forget the very calculated mental abuse [those scenes where Damien feared sleeping with her and couldn't even get it up were horrible!]) like an absolute lunatic for several months, and had impregnated some random young wan who was all set to give him the baby, there'd be no: "ah sure he's reformed now."

There'd be: "a man like that shouldn't be allowed care for a baby." Likewise a woman who can press an iron to someone's arm shouldn't be allowed have a baby - regardless of her two episodes of therapy.

Fair City used the storyline for rating's bait. It was a great storyline in theory. It didn't suit Suzanne at all, though. The fact she's nice again without so much as a hint of a temper or any bother at all is absolutely mental and, frankly, a bit stupid.

:)

• Advertisement

I just cant understand how the cameramen just stood around and let this happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement