Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am disgusted by some of the comments made about David and the actor who plays him Mat, no wonder they put a character into the show with a disability, just to see how he would be treated both in the show and in real life.

Anyone would think that noone can see past someone's looks or that someone with any disability could father/mother a child. Why do we need to see people making nasty comments about someone? What does that add to the show?

Reading the posts from last night, I am glad I don't post in this thread that often anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

There were no nasty comments about David. You really need to stop taking these posts so personally - no one sets out to hurt your feelings because they make negative comments about an actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

The last few comments are disgusting. I know several people with a disability of one kind or another who have kids and they are fabulous parents. Sad to see such disgusting attitudes still exist. Spend a day in the disabled drivers association in ballindine and you'll soon change your tune. I hope a member of your family or one of yere children doesn't end up with a disability or you'd disown them due to 'shame'. I agree that fair city haven't dealt with the disability very well, people normally would ask him questions etc.

Fittle wrote: »
    There were no nasty comments about David. You really need to stop taking these posts so personally - no one sets out to hurt your feelings because they make negative comments about an actor.
    Hi fittle, I think David is a terrible actor personally but the posts about 'long arm of the law' and all that ridiculous stuff was totally unnecessary in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Fittle wrote: »

I am not taking it personal, I just don't like nasty comments made about people with a disability and who are fantastic parents.

Just to clarify, it isn't about me and what I think or feel, I just don't like to see horrible comments when there is really no need.

Don't worry, I won't say a word in future... leave people to bringing the thread to the dregs...
    The last few comments are disgusting. I know several people with a disability of one kind or another who have kids and they are fabulous parents. Sad to see such disgusting attitudes still exist. Spend a day in the disabled drivers association in ballindine and you'll soon change your tune. I hope a member of your family or one of yere children doesn't end up with a disability or you'd disown them due to 'shame'. I agree that fair city haven't dealt with the disability very well, people normally would ask him questions etc.

I agree with you. Though I think you are wasting your time with the likes of who tends to post here these days... another thread gone to pot. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So after 12 hours of 'banter' about disabilities and people getting offended, the first reported post is 20 minutes ago?

Have you guys learned NOTHING from the last few incidents?

IF A POST OFFENDS, REPORT IT AND LET US DEAL WITH IT!

Working my way through the thread now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Roslin wrote: »
    If Suzanne was having a calf with three human heads then I think that would actually be a first for a soap.

A first in Europe maybe but have you ever seen the American soaps? A woman birthing a calf with three human heads would just be another Tuesday. The show Passions even had a character called Tabitha who was a witch and had a daughter called Endora after her maternal grandmother. She often speaks of her mortal father Darrin and her witch mother Samantha and is visited by family physician Dr Bombay.

OK so there was a post by el diablo, shot down in flames by the following poster (and rightly so). Another off colour post by el diablo. Then cloptrop playing to the gallery, but harmless enough.

I'm struggling here, guys. I don't see anything totally outrageous here, apart from el diablo's first post, and some fairly mild ableism by way of childish humour.

So what do you want us to do? Not allow talk about the disability at all? Infract jokes about "open arms", "being armless" etc.? I think that's a case of political correctness gone nuts, if you ask me.

I'm open to feedback here....

It's a sensitive topic for a lot of people, I have a disabled aunt who is very much in the public eye and it would break her heart to think people were judging her and sniggering behind her back on the basis of her disability which is what people are doing here. I thought Ireland had progressed in that people with disabilities aren't 'hidden away'. It smacks of immaturity and some internal unhappiness for people to judge others

That's fair enough Grace, but while there were immature comments made in the last 12 hours, there were some strong rebuttals to those comments. If forums like this make people think twice about their comments, and engage in discussion about disability through other peoples' experiences and feedback, isn't that a worthwhile pursuit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Is this Angels third time leaving the thread 'for good'?

Im in no way having a go at her but she gets very riled up if a comment is made that she doesn't approve of and it causes a lot of friction in the FC thread.

Some adore the show, some like me watch it now and again for the comically bad acting.

People just need to stop freaking out over a so called 'negative' comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Do we know why David was fired from his position?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,193 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is becoming like the soccer forum :p

I really dont want Suzanne and Damo to unite better if they can stay friends (still shocked they are friends given that she bait him up)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

I dunno why there's such a big deal being made. There would be no issue if you just looked past the arms thing (even the people who are fighting his corner). I find David annoying and I'm basing that on his character, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭edwood

el diablo wrote: »
    Ridiculous storyline, the chap with no hands getting a girl, twenty years his junior (or any girl) pregnant. Last time I saw this show she was beating the crap out of her husband with a snooker cue. :confused:

Such a small minded view to hold. Hes a human being just like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

This thread is like a soap haha. A better version of fair city if you will... We even have the obsessive Lucy-esque character

I'm the first to admit I don't like a few fair city characters but I base that on their acting ability, the character itself etc. Although I don't think David is a good actor at all, I think he should be given a chance in the industry without childish jibes about his arms. Getting really bored of it and I think a lot of posters are!

Temaz wrote: »
    Is this Angels third time leaving the thread 'for good'?

Not angel01. You're getting her mixed up with someone else.

It's more serious than that with angel01. She has been a member of this site since 2008 and has closed her account (which is not reversible). It's a shame to lose her, to be honest - she was a big help to us mods and kept this thread well grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,193 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mr E wrote: »

It's more serious than that with angel01. She has been a member of this site since 2008 and has closed her account (which is not reversible). It's a shame to lose her, to be honest - she was a big help to us mods and kept this thread well grounded.

FFS no more angel01 :( no more inside gossip and spoilers :( come back!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Mr E wrote: »

FFS no more angel01 :( no more inside gossip and spoilers :( come back!
    Amm Google fair city spoilers updated every tues on digitalspy , angel was hardly psychic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

The disability jokes were childish, but let's be real - far worse would be and likely is said behind Mat Fraser's back and/or to his face. I'm friends with a guy in college who has short arms and small hands too. He played pool in the SU for the first time the other day and at least ten people turned to see how he'd manage the pool cue.

Curiosity and noticing (and often pointing out) differences is a massive part to any human. It's not meant to offend. Sometimes it's played for humour. And yeah, sometimes it's stupid and mean, but this is a forum. It is a place where people can say stupid stuff. It's when they say offensive stuff that infractions should come.

From what I've seen, Angel sometimes gets riled up over jokes and comments she doesn't agree with it. She once called me vain and attention seeking because I said I could act better than Caoimhe Dillon. That was unnecessary on her behalf, but I couldn't care less about what some keyboard warrior has to say so I let it fly. No worries. If everyone else did the same, especially in a thread about a fictional show, there'd be no rows.

TL;DR: It's the Internet. It's where people say stupid stuff and sometimes mean stuff. That's what mods are for, not affronted keyboard warriors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trexo

I think the whole episode is childish. If posts are offensive, report them. Did Angel?
    The disability jibes are worthy of infractions Mr. E and banning. They are disgusting.
    I know Amelia Jane. It was a shame she closed her account, she wrote well and intervened the last time to help win Angel back from leaving. We will miss Angel. I came on here hoping to begin using this thread but after reading some of the recent posts, I am happy to say I wouldn't waste any time on my keyboard here. Why didn't the moderators get involved earlier? Iguana, gave us a biology lesson, we want the forum moderated at crucial times Iguana. What is the point of being the big moderator if you fail time and time again to fix the ongoing problems? It is always afterwards. Too late. Trolling should be disallowed at all times, even low level trolling. With one of the best posters gone permanently, this thread is heading for the scrap heap. I think it should be scrapped, shut down before it ends up being more of a joke then it is already. Appoint Angel as Fair city moderator, she would know what she is talking about and be dedicated to us. over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Lads keep the drama to the soaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jthelass

Is Wayne safe with Lucy?

trexo wrote: »
    Why didn't the moderators get involved earlier? Iguana, gave us a biology lesson, we want the forum moderated at crucial times Iguana. What is the point of being the big moderator if you fail time and time again to fix the ongoing problems? It is always afterwards. Too late.

Iguana isn't a mod here. For the actual mods of this forum, we can't watch this thread 24x7. We, as moderators, rely on users to report offensive posts. That whole disability 'saga' last night went unreported until this morning.
    trexo wrote: »
    I came on here hoping to begin using this thread but after reading some of the recent posts, I am happy to say I wouldn't waste any time on my keyboard here.

Pull the other one. I count at least 4 new accounts from you in the last two weeks (all active at one time or another on this thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

The woman playing the social worker is probably better than half the regular cast members. Figures. :D

Lauras face was brilliant when Lucy presented the photo frame! #justgetsweirder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

The Lucy thing is driving me nuts. Did Dolores give a baby up for adoption years ago ? Was it lucy ? Is Lucy back to claim the life she missed out on ? Did Lucy lose a baby the same time as Jessica died ? The possibilities are endless.
    We should get Paddy Power to open a book so we can all bet on what she is up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Lauras face was brilliant when Lucy presented the photo frame! #justgetsweirder

what happened? I must have missed that

• Advertisement

Lucy reminds me of chucky ! Any minute now her head will start rotating! At the end of that scene Laura made a face that said a thousand words like 'whothefrigisthisone'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement