Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband connection keeps dropping

• 19-08-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

My UPC broadband keeps dropping, Tech support told it may be a Belkin router I have plugged in causing the problem. Its a Belkin Play Max N600 HD.

I just plug the Belkin WAN port into the LAN port of the UPC Cisco router and pretty much just use the Belkin as my main router. Now every hour or so the Cisco router drops its broadband signal but will just come back up as quick as it drops?

Can anyone tell if its possible it could be the Belkin router causing he problem? I set up the Belkin WAN port as Dynamic should I set it to static maybe?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

one4one wrote: »
    My UPC broadband keeps dropping, Tech support told it may be a Belkin router I have plugged in causing the problem. Its a Belkin Play Max N600 HD.

I just plug the Belkin WAN port into the LAN port of the UPC Cisco router and pretty much just use the Belkin as my main router. Now every hour or so the Cisco router drops its broadband signal but will just come back up as quick as it drops?

Can anyone tell if its possible it could be the Belkin router causing he problem? I set up the Belkin WAN port as Dynamic should I set it to static maybe?

Thanks in advance

In a word no your only using the belkin as a wireless extender, its the cisco thats dropping the connection not the belkin, but if upc dont believe that then just take out the belkin an keep an eye on the cisco, if it drops then point made to Upc and ring them up again

or just ring them up and say nothing about the belkin up to yourself

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

shinzon wrote: »
    In a word no your only using the belkin as a wireless extender, its the cisco thats dropping the connection not the belkin, but if upc dont believe that then just take out the belkin an keep an eye on the cisco, if it drops then point made to Upc and ring them up again

or just ring them up and say nothing about the belkin up to yourself

Shin

I called them already, I'm afraid then seen the Belkin plugged into the Cisco. Well I wouldn't say I'm just using it as a wireless extender. I'm using it as my main router as the UPC Cisco one is ****e!! So everything go's through the Belkin router.

Just wondering is there anything I could do or need to change in the settings of either routers to stop any conflict. There is also an option on the UPC Cisco router that is currently ticked " WAN Blocking" wondering if that is causing any issues

Sorry should of been more clear, I know its the Cisco that's dropping its broadband signal and not the Belkin, I just wondering is it the Belkin causing the Cisco to drop its signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

There appears to be an issue with UPC in Dublin. My dad had issues over the last few days with the connection dropping. He rang and they blamed "wireless conflict". Hmmm. Then this evening I am getting sporadic dropped connections (in a completely different area of Dublin).

I wonder if they are messing with the network in anticipation of the upcoming speed bump?

Phibsboro wrote: »
    There appears to be an issue with UPC in Dublin. My dad had issues over the last few days with the connection dropping. He rang and they blamed "wireless conflict". Hmmm. Then this evening I am getting sporadic dropped connections (in a completely different area of Dublin).

I wonder if they are messing with the network in anticipation of the upcoming speed bump?

I know its not the Belkin now as I have it plugged out the last few hours and the Cisco is still dropping. Odd thing is, its dropping the exact same time, its dropping most hours @ 18 minutes past every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

I'm in Clonskeagh and have a similar problem, every now and again it just drops.
    Internal network is fine (so can connect to other PC's and to UPC router) but internet connections just time out. Wait for a minute and it comes back...

These errors are showing up in my Thompson router log, I don't think they mean anything though

Mon Aug 22 00:32:56 2011 Warning (5) Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...
    Sat Aug 20 17:16:26 2011 Error (4) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...
    Sat Aug 20 17:14:57 2011 Warning (5) Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...
    Sat Aug 20 11:21:45 2011 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    Sat Aug 20 11:13:35 2011 Warning (5) Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hotboxaerox

having exact same issue in artane. connection t3 time out nearly every 10-15 minutes!
    have had tech out twice in the last week the first guy blamed wireless conflict also but he replaced the modem anyway but the he messed up the provisioning set up and we needed a second lad out the next day to sort that.
    was okay for a day and then was back to the usual crap and seems to be getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Mine was doing the same, dropping connection every few minutes. No it won't connect to the DNS at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

Friend of mine (D12 - Walkinstown/Crumlin) also has sporadic dropouts using the UPC Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 (?) modem - e.g. happened on Saturday night around 11pm - connection just disappeared. Laptop was plugged directly in so the standalone wireless router normally used was out of the picture at the time. Basically the connection disappeared and I could see the lights flickering on the cable modem. In particular the DS light eventually went steady but the US light kept flickering for ages until the connection eventually came back to life and it went steady (about 30 mins later). I also tried power cycling the modem but that didn't help. I've sent a query to UPC and am awaiting their answer but just wondering if this problem is common, any tips on how to diagnose/rectify it when it happens etc.? My own UPC service seems to operate much more reliably (D7 area). Maybe not relevant but in my D12 friend's case neither UPC phone nor Digital+ HD are available - in case not having the latest and greatest backbone infrastructure might be a contributory factor?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pubelicious16

Same problem in Clondalkin. Every 30 minutes or so my connection will just reset as if the switch at the back of the modem was switched off then straight back on. Rang support yesterday and was told I'd be contacted back within 24 hours. Still awaiting a reply.
    It's a shame too because this is the first problem I've had with UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you need to change the DHCP lease on the cisco router to 99999999999999999999

this will fix the issue of wireless dropping out every 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kev217

Same problem here in Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you need to change the DHCP lease on the cisco router to 99999999999999999999

this will fix the issue of wireless dropping out every 30 mins
    if you read through the posts in the thread, it's not the wireless connection dropping, it's the internet connection itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

My connection dropped a couple of times this weekend for no reason too. UPC Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Yeah I'm having the same problem today. Dropping like every 5 minutes. Everything looks normal aswell. All the lights that should be on the sci alantic are on. Speed and ping seem fine.

I just get no connection to internet and sometimes it doesn't even tell me that theres no connection to internet but pages and stuff won't load.
    The same problem happens in both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band.
    I also eliminated wireless and hooked up via ethernet and I have the same problem.
    So my next step for when it disconnects is to eliminate the router all together and test directly into the Scientific Alantic.

I wouldn't mind I just started my 3 weeks summer holidays and bam connection problems grrrrr. I need my internets man. I can't go cold turkey. Everything I do relates to the internet. Please don't make me turn on the tv or even worse step outside. pleassssssssssse ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Same here in Lucan, only happening over the past few days, fairly random too.

EDIT: lol, router just bombed out again, has anyone got any sort of proper answer from UPC about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kev217

Still happening for me (Swords) seems to come back the second I do a restart too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Consider yourselves lucky.

I've had this problem for 4 months and UPC admit it, but refuse to fix it because they don't want to spend time/effort/money fixing a network that is to be replaced 'in a few weeks'.

When I complained, the CSR asked if I'd like to just cancel my account!!!

I get 10-40 disconnections most evenings. And when it is connected, there is 5-10% packet loss and this upload speed:

(30mb package)
    1447175961.png

The customer care team won't call me back as promised, and I've over 200 calls logged with UPC support. I'd dump them in a second but ADSL is even worse in this area and I refuse to give any money (even indirectly) to those b$%£$% in Eircom.

I've started recording my calls to them and am going to take them to court for breach of contract. It's the only option left to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've started recording my calls to them and am going to take them to court for breach of contract. It's the only option left to me.

But they're allowing you to cancel your contract so don't expect much.

TM wrote: »
    Friend of mine (D12 - Walkinstown/Crumlin) also has sporadic dropouts using the UPC Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 (?) modem - e.g. happened on Saturday night around 11pm - connection just disappeared. Laptop was plugged directly in so the standalone wireless router normally used was out of the picture at the time. Basically the connection disappeared and I could see the lights flickering on the cable modem. In particular the DS light eventually went steady but the US light kept flickering for ages until the connection eventually came back to life and it went steady (about 30 mins later). I also tried power cycling the modem but that didn't help. I've sent a query to UPC and am awaiting their answer but just wondering if this problem is common, any tips on how to diagnose/rectify it when it happens etc.? My own UPC service seems to operate much more reliably (D7 area). Maybe not relevant but in my D12 friend's case neither UPC phone nor Digital+ HD are available - in case not having the latest and greatest backbone infrastructure might be a contributory factor?!?

My UPC is down in Fairview at the moment, exact same symptoms and this is at least the 10th time it's gone down this way over the last few months. If you log into the web interface of the 2203 while the US light is blinking, it says "Cable Modem Status: Access Denied"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is poor form. Has there been any official response or reason from UPC over this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Consider yourselves lucky.

I've had this problem for 4 months and UPC admit it, but refuse to fix it because they don't want to spend time/effort/money fixing a network that is to be replaced 'in a few weeks'.

When I complained, the CSR asked if I'd like to just cancel my account!!!

I get 10-40 disconnections most evenings. And when it is connected, there is 5-10% packet loss and this upload speed:

(30mb package)
    1447175961.png

The customer care team won't call me back as promised, and I've over 200 calls logged with UPC support. I'd dump them in a second but ADSL is even worse in this area and I refuse to give any money (even indirectly) to those b$%£$% in Eircom.

Hope you told the agent at the start of every call that your recording it. Otherwise its not admissible in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Happening for the last few days in naas. First time I have had connection problems with them in over a year. Got cut off in a real money poker game twice. Cost me dearly.

I also got a sneaky text from them today saying I have been up graded to 20 meg. They did this last year before they raised the prices. Then charge me when I want to downgrade to what I started with when I first joined. Snakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Doylers wrote: »
    Hope you told the agent at the start of every call that your recording it. Otherwise its not admissible in court.
    it might be worth aguing that as tey record all the calls themselves and there is a pre-recorded notification that the call is being recorded by them 'for training purposes' that they are already fully aware that the call is being recorded and who records it is irrelevant since everyone on the call already knows it is. :)

might be an interesting one to try in court anyway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

vibe666 wrote: »
    it might be worth aguing that as tey record all the calls themselves and there is a pre-recorded notification that the call is being recorded by them 'for training purposes' that they are already fully aware that the call is being recorded and who records it is irrelevant since everyone on the call already knows it is. :)

might be an interesting one to try in court anyway. :D

To be used as evidence in court, the defendant needs to state they're recording the call.

UPC would be covered, as they have advised they record the call.
    The caller, however, must first advise the agent straight away that they are recording the call, before any details are exchanged.

roast wrote: »
    To be used as evidence in court, the defendant needs to state they're recording the call.

UPC would be covered, as they have advised they record the call.
    The caller, however, must first advise the agent straight away that they are recording the call, before any details are exchanged.

Where this logic collapses however is when the agents are instructed to hang up if so notified.

I say record them all and share them online. It's one more anti-citizen, pro-corporate rule so why should it be respected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

one4one wrote: »

Thanks in advance

If you connect directly to the Cisco, bypassing the Belkin, do you still get disconnects?

If you connect directly to the Cisco, bypassing the Belkin, do you still get disconnects?

Yep it would still do it, but it seems to have stopped dropping now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Where this logic collapses however is when the agents are instructed to hang up if so notified.

Logic doesn't collapse. They are not obliged to continue the call if they don't wish to. Just like the caller can end the call if they are not comfortable with it being recorded.
    I say record them all and share them online. It's one more anti-citizen, pro-corporate rule so why should it be respected?
    Along with making you a bit of a vigilante, that's a breach of the data protection act if there are any personal details (either the customers or the companys) are revealed.

EDIT:Laws aren't meant to be respected, they're to be obeyed. :pac:

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    Logic doesn't collapse. They are not obliged to continue the call if they don't wish to. Just like the caller can end the call if they are not comfortable with it being recorded.

Along with making you a bit of a vigilante, that's a breach of the data protection act if there are any personal details (either the customers or the companys) are revealed.

EDIT:Laws aren't meant to be respected, they're to be obeyed. :pac:

You're not seeing the bigger picture. We have laws for a reason. In this case the consumer is powerless.

To be honest I was being overly dramatic and don't actually advocate this but there does need to be a rebalancing of laws for people who go up against corporations.

Advertisement