Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband connection keeps dropping

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

You're not seeing the bigger picture. We have laws for a reason. In this case the consumer is powerless.

To be honest I was being overly dramatic and don't actually advocate this but there does need to be a rebalancing of laws for people who go up against corporations.

Fair enough.

Yeah, I see the bigger picture, and yeah, I agree with you to a certain extent. It's doubtful any laws are going to be reviewed though. And in all honesty, the first step is to get a comms regulator that doesn't do a piss-poor job, and actually stand up for consumers against sh!tty business practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ITDemo

Getting frequent downtime here in Lucan, is this still happening for anyone else?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Doylers wrote: »
    Hope you told the agent at the start of every call that your recording it. Otherwise its not admissible in court.

I always tell them. They usually respond by saying that they do not give their permission. However, permission is not required, I simply just need to inform them.

I'll also be requesting all details they have on their systems regarding me, including all Customer Service Tickets. Under the Data Protection Act, they can't refuse, but can charge a nominal fee.

Once I have everything, I'll confront their legal office and give them one last chance.

I amazes me how so many people say that UPC Customer Service is excellent. I've found them to be persistent liars and thoroughly unhelpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

you need to change the DHCP lease on the cisco router to 99999999999999999999

this will fix the issue of wireless dropping out every 30 mins

u can't access DHCP on it, access is denied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I amazes me how so many people say that UPC Customer Service is excellent. I've found them to be persistent liars and thoroughly unhelpful.
    1st line support are a bunch of cowboys, but once you get past them the support is usually okay.

the problem is, as with any isp or similar service provider, that you get dogs abuse and it pays very little for long, awkward hours in a call centre so nobody stays in the job very long (6-12 months at the very most, quite often less than a few months), which means that your chances of actually getting somebody competent right off the bat are very low.

on the call recording note, you don't need to hand in your own recordings as evidence, you just need to play them in private for your solicitor so he knows what's in them and what he can use, and then he can get a court order to have UPC's own call logs used in evidence as required. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

vibe666 wrote: »
    1st line support are a bunch of cowboys, but once you get past them the support is usually okay.
    I usually try to call directly into the self install guys even with technical issues that are not self install issues per se (or at all ;)). Have always found them very helpful and knowledgeable. Just my experience.

Well....huge outage affecting the whole area today from about 2:30pm. Someone in UPC made the decision to 'switch everyone over to the new system' instead of fixing the fault.

Weeks trying to get them to give me a date for the conversion, and it seems that they could have done it at any time...sigh. Anyway...connection is rock solid since 6:30-pm. 29.8mb/s download and 2.8mb/s upload, with no packet loss and no jitter. Just hope it stays that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Weeks trying to get them to give me a date for the conversion, and it seems that they could have done it at any time...sigh. Anyway...connection is rock solid since 6:30-pm. 29.8mb/s download and 2.8mb/s upload, with no packet loss and no jitter. Just hope it stays that way!
    good stuff, glad you're sorted finally, i know you've been pulling your hair out for a good while now. :)

Well....huge outage affecting the whole area today from about 2:30pm. Someone in UPC made the decision to 'switch everyone over to the new system' instead of fixing the fault.

Aaaarrggghhhhhh. I spoke too soon. 3 disconnections in the last 15 minutes.

Oh how I loathe this company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Just connected to UPC today.

Wired from router to PC. Connection has dropped 4 or 5 times in the past hour :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mellowblue

sporadic connection here too ( Swords ) . Lose connection 4 or 5 times an hour

I had a new engineer out today, and this one really knew what he was doing (a guy called Maxcim). Gave me the new Thomson Modem, and changed all the connectors on the Ethernet cables. Whilst doing this, I think he found the cause of the connections issues I've had for many many months. The connector that goes into the wall box wasn't fixed correctly to the cable. The copper core was too short and had become black from the poor connection. 9 hours later, and no disconnections so far. That's the best I've seen in about 6 months.

I still think UPC support is crap, and their Customer Care team are a bunch of liars. But at least they have some competent employees....just took a while to find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wahrewohla

Connection is utter rubbish. drops hourly or so - Clane, Co.Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I had a new engineer out today, and this one really knew what he was doing (a guy called Maxcim). Gave me the new Thomson Modem, and changed all the connectors on the Ethernet cables. Whilst doing this, I think he found the cause of the connections issues I've had for many many months. The connector that goes into the wall box wasn't fixed correctly to the cable. The copper core was too short and had become black from the poor connection. 9 hours later, and no disconnections so far. That's the best I've seen in about 6 months.

I still think UPC support is crap, and their Customer Care team are a bunch of liars. But at least they have some competent employees....just took a while to find one.
    The customer care have nothing to do with it, it's the tech department you should have been dealing with all along.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    The customer care have nothing to do with it, it's the tech department you should have been dealing with all along.

But I still wouldn't let their "customer care" off the hook. I was having a modem issue last year, the modem was sticking on old firmware and as such it kept losing sync with "DCC aborted" errors in the log. I phoned up to explain and the Limerick guy I got was very rude to me, denying that there was any firmware issue with the modem and was even telling me to contact Scientific Atlanta about it! I tried to explain the problem but he cut across me trying to say that I should change the channel on my wireless. I was on the verge of snapping at him but he reluctantly agreed to send someone out to replace the modem. The modem was replaced, it updated to the new firmware immediately and has been perfect ever since.

I think that what happened was when the original modem was installed, it tried to update the firmware and failed as the modem had locked up and had to be rebooted. So when I rebooted it, it stayed on the old firmware and wouldn't update again. It seems that I knew more about the fault than he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

I having constant issues with UPC in Dublin 9 with the CISCO modem dropping the connection, it happens approx every 15 minutes. I haven't had issues with UPC before now, but this is most annoying.

UPC better get the issue resolved quickly, there is plenty of choice now for broadband packages in the market, so I don't need to be stuck with poor service.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DerOS

Just thought I'd mention I'm having the same issue in Clane, Co. Kildare. Called numerous times but by the time I get through, it's back up running and "everything looks good from our end" is the stock reply. Eventually, I got passed to 2nd stage support and they sent a guy out who said we'd a damaged cable. So he wrapped some insulation tape around the cable outside and gave my missus some bull**** explanation and went on his merry way.
    Nothing has changed. Still regularly slows way down and intermittently drops out altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Keep losing my wireless connection for a number of seconds. I have been trying different channels one at a time but no fix so far :mad:

Was that always the way or has this just started happining recently? If it's a new development then what, if anything, changed in the meantime in terms of modem/router configuration etc.? Have you checked in case there's a firmware upgrade for your box that might help? Hope this helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

TM wrote: »
    Was that always the way or has this just started happining recently? If it's a new development then what, if anything, changed in the meantime in terms of modem/router configuration etc.? Have you checked in case there's a firmware upgrade for your box that might help? Hope this helps..

More or less since I got it. No changes. Cannot see how to update this model

Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Voice Gateway

• Advertisement

OK - I've got the Thompson one listed here:

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/203

Not sure if this thread is of any use?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79715634

If not I guess you might have to try to talk to UPC directly about it?

I wonder if you can enable logging to gain a bit more insight into what's happening when the connecton drops?

Advertisement