Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th Year Study plan..Tips??

• 19-08-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Ok as the title says I am going into 6th year and am wondering what would a decent study plan be?? So the subjects I do are Irish,English,Maths,Biology,Chemistry,Geography and Spanish.
    How many hours did most of ye do each night??

Thanks if any guidelines are given :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

While I can't really give you a study plan as that's up to you to make out yourself I would be putting in about 2 hours study a night on top of written work. Do this up to Christmas and then after this go 3 hours a night. Make sure to take breaks and don't kill yourself!
    Avoid the usual distractions (Phones, T.V. , iPod, etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

What i tried to do was 3 hours a day from October to March and then upping the 3 hours to 6 hours on weekends (Saturday + Sunday = 12 hours) from April onwards.

So if you did 3 hours a day that would equate to 21 hours a week and three hours per subject a week. I tried to do the subjects I liked the least 1st like geography and finished with a subject I liked or found easy to study.

One thing I would say is that I found it hard to study heavy learning subjects, like business, last so I'd advise doing it first or second. Also try to get your studying done early in the evening. I was lucky enough to be able to study in school so I was normally finished studying at 7pm which was a real bonus. The earlier the better. It gives you a life of sorts. Personally, I found it difficult to study after 9 o'clock anyway and I would always be tired the next day.

No listening to music or that. It doesn't work that well. Well not for me. Silence always worked for me.

At the start of the week you should draw out your study plan and then you should write beside each subject what you want to achieve. Example: Besides Maths you may write logs or beside Business you may write HRM. Then you can check off things as you go along and you know where you stand in relation to each subject.

Hope that helps! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Thanks guys I will bear those in mind and the stuff about how many hours to put in is really helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

David1994 wrote: »
    Ok as the title says I am going into 6th year and am wondering what would a decent study plan be?? So the subjects I do are Irish,English,Maths,Biology,Chemistry,Geography and Spanish.
    How many hours did most of ye do each night??

Thanks if any guidelines are given :)

You have a nice mix!. . .one project, 2 orals, 1 ingo, 2 sciences. . .nice stuff. ..

I'd recommend sticking to a concrete study plan for the first few months. . .the amount of actual work, (excluding study!) will be piled on, so make sure to always do extra study. ..

First week, or before, make a list of your weak points in all subjects, and spend serious study time rectifying them.. .things like pronunciation in french, Irish spelling, or a chapter in Biology you missed or skipped last year. . .keep a routine in study up to December, you'll appreciate the work already done when you hit february, and the pres are upon ya. ..

. . .For maths, nothing beats doing questions. . .and do lots of them, it is the most time-consuming subject of the lot. . .revision is vital, methods need to be practised until they are 2nd nature. . .

In all subjects, revising can never stop. . .note taking is a tough one, try and condense everything possible, and try different methods for every subject. . .I watched french tv news podcasts, and made out an A2-SHEET chart with all my mandatory physics exp's on it. . .a lot of it is keeping yourself interested by doing different things. . .

The easiest thing in the world is to gift yourself night-off's. . .but in reality, they only really work when you need to peak mentally in the last month. . .and this can only happen twice at most, really. . .its much easier to work in training and 'favorite program' slots into your schedule. . .

Depending on what you want, u need to take a serious look at your social life. . .if you averaged 400pts in 5th year, and want Medicine, you cant go out at all, you need to work through Christmas, and you should spend most of your waking hours on schoolwork. . .if you are on 400pts now, and want 400, you'll get away with going out almost as normal, if you're working away. . .bear in mind that if you're drinking, you can use up around 15/16 hours quite easily, and literally, you'll curse time badly spent later on. . .

You asked hours a week. . .study should be upwards of 20hours a week excluding homework. . .mind you, its more important to study smart, to be fair. ..study in 25-30min slots, be strict about this, and structure your study. . .its easy to plan study. . .its much harder to do. . .our teacher told us that its impossible to be motivated before you study, you have to force yourself to start, and force yourself to keep going. . .this will be hard!

Know your exam timings, structure, and requirements inside-out. . .copy the exam structures on seperate sheets, put them on the wall, and learn them. . .this exam is a complicated system, if you know what the marks are going fotr, you're more likely to prepare your study with them in mind. . .

Orals are a bitch. . .start speaking spanish and irish now regularly in the corridors. . ..people may get a little pissed at the start, but this is your one shot at your dream course. . .and there is no oral for English. . .

. . .Dont leave your desk while you're studying either. . .breaks can stretch otherwise. . .use breaks to organise your desk, put away and take out books, and the like. .. also, if you''re really serious about it, turn off your phone while studying, and give your parents your laptop/tv/ps3/xbox/psp. . . if you have school stuff already on your laptop, keep it, but turn off the wireless, and disconnect internet. . .its much easier if you use a home computer. . .it limits your time-wasting capacity when theres a chance mom is watching. . .deleting your facebook page is also an option, if you have one. .. if not, for gods sake dont go near it for the year. . .its only 1 year. . .

Above all, dont get too stressed out. ..6th year is great craic in school, and if you come in every day, you'll benefit massively, its most important to be in school, as the teachers know best. . .

.. . I hope some of that helps. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Whoa thanks for that! I do like most of my subjects and I think something in Science is the way I want to go.Goals will probably be vital for me to push me to do those extra little bits. I will take all the advice on!board guys thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

Going by hours never worked for me.

Different subjects were more demanding for me than others.

You'll work this out for yourself in a few weeks.

An A in French for me, took an hour a week of work, My B in Biology, an hour every second night.

Not that I was counting by hours. My study plan never read: english, economics, maths, 1hour each.

it read, Biology: Lymphatic System,
    Economics: Monopoly.

Spend aslong as it takes to learn both of those inside out, not just note making, but doing every exam question you can find on both, and marking them with approprite marking schemes.

You'll start to learn how long this takes per topic per subject as you go along. Then you can allocate time more appropriately. :)

Be liberal with time allocation. If you start in September you'll have plenty time, a whole year. :)

best of luck. :)

Advertisement