Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bareroot vs pot grown hedge

Options
  • 19-08-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

hi all,
    just looking for some advice regarding the planting of a hedge most likely laurel
    Should I buy potted plants now and plant (2-3 ft high plants)
    or wait till November and buy bareroot and save some money
    Hearing different stories from the people trying to sell either type, and would like some independent advice

do the bareroot have a much lower success rate, looking at about 100 plants approx
    Also would you advise mixing laurel with another type of hedge for a bit of colour/interest, is laurel suited to fairly much full sun?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Personally I wait until March and plant Bareroot then. I don't know how successful bareroot planted in November would be if we get another winter like the last 2 years. At least in March it has time to settle in and establish a bit.

Their is a fungal product you can get that you dip the roots in, supposed to give you pretty much 100% success rate.Try searching for 'Mycorrhizal fungi'. I haven't used it myself, but i planted about 175 bareroot hedge plants without it in March 2010, and lost none yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Planted bare root hedge last October/November. This is a good time to plant and in spite of the bad winter I lost very few plants. This was a griselinia hedge and some of my neighbours lost mature ones while the new ones survived. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

A pot grown plant will settle in faster

Are you sure you want a laurel hedge? What's the prupose of the hedge?

Mark

Advertisement