Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a landlord do this?

Options
  • 19-08-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Say if I am renting their house and a chair breaks from just sitting on it can the landlord then charge you do a brand new one which seems to be twice the price it should be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

Say if I am renting their house and a chair breaks from just sitting on it can the landlord then charge you to buy a brand new one which seems to be twice the price it should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Landlord can't "charge" you anything. He can try to deduct it from your deposit when you leave, but :-

- He needs to provide printed receipts for the complete amount that he is trying to deduct from your deposit.
    - AFAIK the replacement would need to be equivalent in value to the old furniture.

and anyway;

- he would have to reasonably demonstrate that the chair was broken through misuse/carelessness / negligence etc which I would imagine he can't.

Short version- tell him to bog off and stop buying cheap-ass furniture that falls apart when you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

One thing I was surprised about on reading judgments on LL and tenants is that often they didn't need receipts. Bit baffled about that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

LaLucy wrote: »
    Say if I am renting their house and a chair breaks from just sitting on it can the landlord then charge you to buy a brand new one which seems to be twice the price it should be?

Potentially- its difficult to tell from the information you've given.
    If the breakage of the chair is more than normal wear and tear (actual breakage of furniture would tend to be)- then yes, you would be liable.

Vis-a-vis the price of a new chair- you can get chairs on sale cheaply- or at regular price which can be stratospheric. Even Ikea do an anonymous looking 2+1+1 for over 3 grand- alongside their more reasonable priced furniture- its not very easy to tell....... My own Granada sofa that I paid less than 800 for- is now more than 3 grand.

The landlord might be amenable to you shopping around on his behalf- providing the replacement meets certain criteria- however be prepared to be shocked- even the most boring pieces of functional furniture can be pricey as hell........

Please don't start multiple threads with the same title/information.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

That was obviously a mistake Smaccarick :-) I edited my first post and a second one appeared which I deleted so I don't get which thread you mean?

LaLucy wrote: »
    That was obviously a mistake Smaccarick :-) I edited my first post and a second one appeared which I deleted so I don't get which thread you mean?

Sorry- there were 2 separate threads- which are now merged into this thread- which is why you have 2 posts at the top of this thread.....

Anyhow its totally offtopic- so lets leave it at that.

SMcCarrick

Advertisement