Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rim Tape Alternative

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Don't know about shops that would stock them, maybe On track!

But it reminds me of days of old when people used to cork the spoke holes, it was to give the tubs more surface to be glued to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Have em on one wheelset for the last 12 months - no problems to report. Got em from veloplug directly - http://veloplug.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I got some direct from the veloplug website.

Very quick delivery, haven't seen them locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Whats the weight saving? My tape of choice is velox or vittoria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Ive used standard PVC electrical tape many times with no problems. one or two goes around the rim is plenty

• Advertisement

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Ive used standard PVC electrical tape many times with no problems. one or two goes around the rim is plenty

I use the same on old style single walled rims where the spoke nipples are exposed, pvc tape is prob ok for hybrid tyres on double wall rims at low pressure but I personally wouldnt use it past 85psi

Can you buy bulk roll of proper rim tape and cut to size? Ive seen a special tape for plumbing thats heat reisitant and holds high pressure, its not regular plumbing tape, its for emergency/permanent fixes, I reckon it would be good for rims but havent tried it yet.

Can you buy bulk roll of proper rim tape and cut to size? Ive seen a special tape for plumbing thats heat reisitant and holds high pressure, its not regular plumbing tape, its for emergency/permanent fixes, I reckon it would be good for rims but havent tried it yet.

Schwalbe do them in 50m rolls as do others, it's a bit of overkill for one person though but it is good stuff http://www.schwalbetires.com/accessories/rim_tape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Anyone know which size would be required for 2010 Mavic Aksium rims (and Ksyrium SLs incidentally)? Lots of info on the mavic site but I couldn't find find this out. I've not got my wheels with me to check.

Lemag wrote: »
    Anyone know which size would be required for 2010 Mavic Aksium rims (and Ksyrium SLs incidentally)? Lots of info on the mavic site but I couldn't find find this out. I've not got my wheels with me to check.

Just a guess, but I'd say 700c :pac:

I don't know anything about them, but they seem pointless!

Can they really be that much lighter than a single layer of Schwalbe fabric rim tape?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Holyboy wrote: »
    Just a guess, but I'd say 700c :pac:
    Damn! No wonder I've been struggling with getting my tyres on.
    Spoke hole size? According to the blurb the 8mm should do.
    Holyboy wrote: »
    I don't know anything about them, but they seem pointless!

Can they really be that much lighter than a single layer of Schwalbe fabric rim tape?
    Convenience and something to show off whenever the opportunity to chainge a tyre should present itself.

Lemag wrote: »
    Damn! No wonder I've been struggling with getting my tyres on.
    Spoke hole size? According to the blurb the 8mm should do.Convenience and something to show off whenever the opportunity to chainge a tyre should present itself.

Such a bike tart :D

Stop buying bike stuff and get rid of your bed bugs!!!

Advertisement