Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

And to Butlerstown in the junior hurling co final :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ballygunner with an early goal. Latest Drom 0-4 Ballygunner 1-2

Drom 0-8 Ballygunner 1-6 Latest

Drom 0-8 Ballgunner 2-7

Drom 0-10 Ballygunnar 2-08

• Advertisement

Drom 0-12 Ballygunnar 2-08

ht butlerstown 2-1 to ballymeena 0-3

butlerstown with wind in 1st half

Drom 0-12 Ballygunnar 2-12 latest

Full time

Drom & Inch 1-13 Ballygunnar 2-15. Fine win for Ballygunnar there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done Gunners, a home game to look forward to v Na Piarsigh in two weeks for them. Maybe should have won by more with a load of wides but that's a great result.

Dunhill went down to Effin at Walsh park, poor game with the conditions in it. Effin powered ahead 2nd half, Dunhill got a goal but too little too late. Dunhill had two sent off, big fight second half, Shane Casey was one not sure who the other was but plenty of timber!

• Advertisement

ft butlerstown 2-2 ballinameela 0-8

butlertstown keeper with a point from a 65 in added time to draw the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Dunhill beaten 0-13 1-4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Went to Thurles. Very enjoyable game to be honest, great pace and atmosphere second half when the game was in the melting pot. There should have been about 5 in it at half time, Mahony uncharacteristically missed a few frees, and they had hit some poor wides I suppose. Some great play too though, most notably a great catch by Andy Moloney, a great puckout by O'Keefe to Shane Sully who got it and played a beautiful ball to Mahoney, who wrong footed two defenders and calmly stick the ball over from about 45 yards. J.J Hutchison scored the first goal, a long ball in was broken down by Stephen Power, and dropped in behind two defenders to Hutchison who was waiting to pull on the ball first time into the net.

Second half Ballygunner started very well. Brian O'Sullivan, who was very quiet first half, won a free which Mahony converted, and then scored a good individual goal. Ballygunner still hit too many wides though, and Drom-Inch were never too far away. The game really got close late on when Seamus Callinan, who had an abysmal game in general from frees and from play, hammered the ball to the net. The ball broke kindly to him, but it was a terrific strike. Ballygunner pushed on however, and substitute Barry O'Sullivan did brilliantly first to catch the ball, and then to stick it over the bar. Stephen Power who had done little to justify remaining on the field in the first half made up for it second half by catching a ball, and scoring from what seemed an impossible angle. This was in addition to having earlier in the second half scoring a fantastic long range effort.

Man of the match was Wayne Hutchison for me. Slow start for him this time, but he ate the Drom-Inch half forward line, pulling off some great catches as well as hoovering everything off the ground. Shane O'Sullivan was also very effective, doing well up front and scoring a very nice point, and then being commanding when playing as a deep lying midfielder second half. Philip Mahony also deserves a notable mention, as he was charged with the task of marking Callinan who really saw nothing of the ball. Though has job was aided by Ballygunner withdrawing a man from the full forward line, he was impressive to be fair. Paudi Mahony as ever impressed, scoring three great points and working really hard, something people sometimes accuse him of being weak at.

The two man full forward line created extra space for Brian O'Sullivan and J.J Hutchison, who caused plenty of problems with their pace. Think O'Sullivan got 1-2, and Hutchison 1-1. Not sure though. David O'Sullivan picked up an injury first half, and was moved full forward before being taken off late in the game.

Drom-Inch made some strange decisions. Firstly, I thought Declan Ryan at full forward looked lively when he got the ball first half, but was whisked off at half time. Then, their best player on the day in my mind, Johhny Ryan, was moved from midfield to full forward before being taken off. I'm going to assume that both picked up knocks. They were a bit unimaginative, didn't threaten a goal really, Callinan's one was even a bit fortuitous. Didn't expect them to win anyway, was confident Ballygunner would win. Think they'll beat Na Piarsaigh to on familiar turf, and I do think that this is the tougher side of the draw as well, so basically I'm saying Munster is theirs to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Ballygunner made hard enough work of overcoming a limited Drom & Inch challenge in the Munster Club Championship first round in Thurles today. Indeed, when – in his only significant contribution from play in the entire game – Seamus Callinan lashed home a goal after the ball very kindly broke in his direction with five minutes to go to reduce the deficit to three points, one feared that once again we would see a Waterford team losing at the death a game they should have won comfortably. However, the magnificent Gunners defence refused to bend in the closing stages, with late substitute Barry O’Sullivan and Padraic Mahony (from a free) adding the insurance points to close out the game.

This was a game which Ballygunner dominated from start to finish, and they should have been out of sight were it not for some really bad misses among their eventual tally of 16 wides. These included five missed frees from the usually reliable Padraic Mahony, although his eventual haul of six pointed frees and three excellent points from play made a huge contribution to the Gunners’ victory. Their big problem was a failure to adjust to a wind blowing across the field towards the Ryan stand, with most of their first half wides going to the left of the town goal, and most of their second half wides going to the right of the country goal.

The game was played in fine but overcast and blustery conditions, on a reasonably good surface which held up well. Ballygunner led at half time by 1-6 to 0-8 despite nine first half wides to just three for Drom & Inch who made much better use of their limited possession up front. The Gunners’ goal came after ten minutes, when JJ Hutchinson first timed to the net from ten yards when the ball broke across to him from the left.

Ballygunner were really in the driving seat when corner forward scored a trade mark goal three minutes into the second half, using his pace and control to get inside the defence and then batting expertly with one hand past the goalkeeper. Drom & Inch then made their big move, getting the deficit down to two points before a spate of Ballygunner scoring left them six points in front before Callinan’s strike cut their lead in half. Brian O’Sullivan got inside the defence once again but this time the advancing goalkeeper managed to get his body in the way of O’Sullivan’s shot.

This was a great team performance by Ballygunner who, apart from playing some great hurling themselves, worked hard all over the pitch to close their opponents down. The defence played very well as a unit, to the extent that, apart from Callinan’s goal, the Drom & Inch forwards only scored two points from play (their other five points from play coming from their midfielders and a wing back). Wayne Hutchinson who, to my mind, was man of the match in the county final, repeated the performance again with a superb play. Playing at wing back (with Philip Mahony deployed to mark Seamus Callinan), Hutchinson started tentatively enough but, characteristically, an altercation with one of the opposing forwards fired him up and he was absolutely magnificent in the second half. Not far behind him was Shane O’Sullivan whose powerful second half display repeatedly broke the Drom & Inch players’ hearts.

I would also make special mention of Harley Barnes who was horsed out of it several times in the first half but refused to let it get him down and who put in a sterling second half performance. Stephen Power started at full forward where he got little change from his opposite number, but fared much better when moved out to the wing in the second half from where he scored two excellent points. Brian O’Sullivan also added two excellent points to his goal in another significant scoring contribution. Overall, however, this was a very impressive effort by the Waterford champions (apart from the shooting) with everyone contributing at least several pence worth and they can now look forward with confidence to the visit of Limerick’s Na Piarsaigh to Walsh Park in two weeks’ time.

Ballygunner: Stephen O’Keeffe; Alan Kirwan; Barry Coughlin; Willie Kiely; Wayne Hutchinson; Philip Mahony; David O’Sullivan; Shane Walsh; Harley Barnes; Padraic Mahony (0-9, six frees); Shane O’Sullivan (0-1); Andy Moloney; JJ Hutchinson (1-0); Stephen Power (0-2); Brian O’Sullivan (1-2). Sub: Barry O’Sullivan (0-1) for David O’Sullivan (injured).

Drom & Inch (as in programme): Damien Young; Martin Butler; Mícheál Butler; Mike Costello; Paul Stapleton; Eamon Buckley; James Ryan (0-1); Johnny Ryan (0-3); James Woodlock (0-1); Seamus Butler (0-1); Seamus Callanan (1-6, six frees); David Collins (0-1); Pat Lupton; Declan Ryan; David Butler. I didn’t keep track of the substitutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 green flag

Any news on new managers taking over on the club hurling scene. De la Salle on the lookout for one should be interesting who they go for.Cant see many clubs going for outsiders in the current climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Michael Ryan and his management has met with the waterford players for the first time last Friday night apparantly 52 players in total were in attendance. Anyone have a list of the players? Did this include Ballygunner lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Michael Ryan and his management has met with the waterford players for the first time last Friday night apparantly 52 players in total were in attendance. Anyone have a list of the players? Did this include Ballygunner lads?

Will be interesting to hear who some of the new faces are, if that is true. Glad to see no stone is being left unturned, and that Michael and his team are casting their eye far and wide, by the looks of it. Definitely seem to always be a few surprisingly omitted strong club hurlers each year, and hopefully everyone is starting with a clean slate under the new setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I wonder will Bull Phelan be welcomed back to the fold? I always thought he was good enough to be on the panel at the very least and could never understand why Davy seemed to omit him no matter how well he played for DLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Munster Minor Hurling Fixtures 2012
    Clare V Waterford
    Kerry V Tipperary
    Limerick V Cork

... ... PLay offs: Looser Kerry/Tipperary V Looser Limerick/Cork
    Play Off Final Winner of above V Looser Clare/Waterford

Semi Finals Winner Clare/Waterford V Winner Kerry/Tipperary
    Play off Winner V Winner Limerick/Cork

Munster Final
    Munster Minor Football Fixtures 2012

Limerick V Cork
    Kerry V Tipperary
    Clare V Waterford
    ... ...
    Play Off - Looser Kerry/Tipperary V Looser Clare Waterford
    Play Off Final Winner Above v Looser Limerick/Cork

Semi Finals
    Winner Limerick/Cork V Winner Kerry/Tipperary
    Winner Clare/Waterford V Play off Winner

Munster Under 21 Hurling Fixtures 2012
    First Round Cork V Tipperary

Semi Finals Limerick V Cork/Tipperary
    Waterford V Clare
    Munster Under 21 Football Fixtures 2012

First Round Kerry V Tipperary
    Clare V Limerick

... Semi Finals Waterford V Kerry/Tipperary
    Cork V Clare/Limerick

Cheers for that Deise 2012. At first glance, tough draws

Minor Hurling: Tough one against Clare (up in Clare I'm guessing). Win and it'll set up another tough one against Tipp in a semi. Lose and it'll most likely be a play-off against Cork or Limerick and then a semi against Cork or Limerick. It's really a minefield whichever way you go.

U21 Hurling: Another joust with Clare, the lads will be sick of the sight of them at this stage having played them a few times the last few years in minor and not being too successful. This will be a strong Clare team basically being made up of their excellent minor teams of the last two years. We'll have a strong team too so it'll make for one hell of a game IMO. Advantages though is that at least we'll be at home (I think) and only one game from a Munster final so it'll be all to play for. We'll have the bones of last years U21's as well still underage.

It's hard to see the minor and U21 footballers doing much tbh. Looking forward to these games already.

• Advertisement

Yea ourselves and Clare are 2 of the strongest u21 teams in the country next year so not the kindest draw. home advantage should be help we really need a breakthrough in this grade have been too many dissapointing performances over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

flahavaj wrote: »
    I wonder will Bull Phelan be welcomed back to the fold? I always thought he was good enough to be on the panel at the very least and could never understand why Davy seemed to omit him no matter how well he played for DLS.[/QUOTE good enough to be on panel at the very least is really not the way to go ,you should really assemble a panel where every single man should be considered to be a serious first team starter

I wonder will Bull Phelan be welcomed back to the fold? I always thought he was good enough to be on the panel at the very least and could never understand why Davy seemed to omit him no matter how well he played for DLS.[/QUOTE good enough to be on panel at the very least is really not the way to go ,you should really assemble a panel where every single man should be considered to be a serious first team starter

One thing I'd add to that is that you should take into consideration age. A young player may not be ready, but it may not be a bad idea introducing him to the panel. Think the ship has sailed for Bull to be honest!

I wonder will Bull Phelan be welcomed back to the fold? I always thought he was good enough to be on the panel at the very least and could never understand why Davy seemed to omit him no matter how well he played for DLS.

the reason Bull Phelan didnt feature under Davy is that when Peter Queally was selector he didnt want him on the panel. He didnt rate him and basically said as much obviously Davy Fitz was happy with his word

One thing I'd add to that is that you should take into consideration age. A young player may not be ready, but it may not be a bad idea introducing him to the panel. Think the ship has sailed for Bull to be honest!
    kind of agree with that but ,young players not ready they should be most of them would have played for their county from tony forristal ,now i would also like to see is waterford intermediate team being of more importance like no lads on it over the age of 23 as it is now whoever runs it seems to pick players that had their day in a waterford senior jersey,

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

Does anybody know anything about a rumor in relation to the Tony Forristal/Sonny Walsh selectors being fired for favouritism towards their own sons and relations being picked for the panels, and the poor results that followed. I don't know if it is true, could anybody throw any light.

mark17 wrote: »
    Does anybody know anything about a rumor in relation to the Tony Forristal/Sonny Walsh selectors being fired for favouritism towards their own sons and relations being picked for the panels, and the poor results that followed. I don't know if it is true, could anybody throw any light.
    wow that was the best sum up of what happened this year fair play short sweet and 2 the point ,dont know whether they were fired or not but they should never be allowed any say in the way any county team should be assembled ,they were disgraceful end of even there own mothers could not back them on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

The Sonny Walsh managers of this year's team are next years tony forristal managers. Does anybody know who makes the decision to appoint the management of these teams,because some years the management have not even been involved at u-14 level in their own club so i find it hard to understand how they can see the upcoming talent that lies around our county

The Sonny Walsh managers of this year's team are next years tony forristal managers. Does anybody know who makes the decision to appoint the management of these teams,because some years the management have not even been involved at u-14 level in their own club so i find it hard to understand how they can see the upcoming talent that lies around our county

That's the problem and why it seems to be going wrong for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

Jesus Wept! 12 months ago we won the Tony Forristal for the 2nd time in 4 years and now some of you want a root and branch change in how the selectors are picked.
    Get real. We are not Kilkenny, Cork, Galway, Tipp or even Dublin. We do not have the numbers to be competitive at every age group every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I’m amazed there has been no coverage here (or hardly anywhere else either) of the great achievement of Dungarvan CBS and Blackwater Community School in qualifying for the final of this year’s Dean Ryan Cup (Munster Under 16½ Schools Hurling). This is the premier competition at this age level and usually provides a good pointer to how things might go in the Harty Cup in two years time. Dungarvan beat Nenagh CBS by 2-9 to 1-10 while Blackwater beat De La Salle 0-13 to 1-7. That’s three Waterford schools in the last four of the competition. I wonder how many of last year’s winning Tony Forristal team were playing in these two games.

I couldn’t find the results of these games anywhere on Wednesday evening and the results weren’t in the Thursday papers. The Munster GAA website finally put the scores up around midday on Thursday. The An Fear Rua website usually has great coverage of Munster schools competitions but there hasn’t been a single post about Wednesday’s games.

While Blackwater have been up there at the top level in Munster schools hurling for a few years, this is a great achievement in particular for Dungarvan CBS which is a fairly small school compared with most of the top Munster schools. I think the last time they got to the final of the Dean Ryan Cup was something like 1953 when I think Austin Flynn was on the team. Abbeyside used to provide a lot of players for CBS teams over the years but since St Augustine’s moved across the river there’s hardly anyone from the Village going to the CBS any more. I don’t think it’s any great help to hurling in Abbeyside that St Augustine’s have no hurling tradition and don’t seem to be doing anything to rectify this.

St Declan’s of Kilmacthomas were also in action on Wednesday in the Senior Hurling C Competition against Kilmallock which ended in a draw 0-14 to 1-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamjam24

rumour has it Eoin kelly didnt get called back to the waterford panel? is this true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

jamjam24 wrote: »
    rumour has it Eoin kelly didnt get called back to the waterford panel? is this true ?

If it is true it wont surprise many people IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Where are you getting this nonsense that St Augustine's have no hurling tradition?

The Friary has won Munster titles in Hurling & competed in A championships when the brothers were in the C championship.

a certain Brick Walsh is a friary alumni to mention just one ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

comeraghs wrote: »
    Where are you getting this nonsense that St Augustine's have no hurling tradition?

The Friary has won Munster titles in Hurling & competed in A championships when the brothers were in the C championship.

a certain Brick Walsh is a friary alumni to mention just one ....

Was in school with him, The Hurneys and the Briggs went there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

jamjam24 wrote: »

In fairness its long overdue, probably not too far off when there will be no Eoin Kelly in the munster championship ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In fairness its long overdue, probably not too far off when there will be no Eoin Kelly in the munster championship ;)

Still think Eoin Kelly derserves a place in the squad. On his day can be a brillent hurler and can single handly win a game on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Still think Eoin Kelly derserves a place in the squad. On his day can be a brillent hurler and can single handly win a game on his own.

When was the last time this happened though and he was never a team player always playing as a me feiner, he's attitude stinks tbh and yes he was a wonderfully talented hurler but time waits for no man, time for Waterford to move on and we all know they have the talent coming through to do it.

lol this thread is always some place for a random rumour being posted and people jumping on it straight away

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    Jesus Wept! 12 months ago we won the Tony Forristal for the 2nd time in 4 years and now some of you want a root and branch change in how the selectors are picked.
    Get real. We are not Kilkenny, Cork, Galway, Tipp or even Dublin. We do not have the numbers to be competitive at every age group every year.

Yes we do have the numbers, if the selectors bothered to attend under fourteen and under fifteen matches. I've seen kids play brilliant hurling and never even looked at for the Development Squad. Maybe their names don't fit or their clubs don't play Gaelic Football too much........................

• Advertisement

Kelly was eventually added as part of the 52 man provisional squad after being originally omitted. He has been given a weights programme to carry out over the winter, along with the rest of the squad.

Didn't actually hear those Dean Ryan results, well done to Blackwater and Dungarvan. I knew 3 Waterford schools were in the semi's so that's encouraging and will hopefully make for good Harty teams in the next year or two. Where and when will the final be played? Final round of Harty games on soon aswell I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Best of luck to Ballygunner tommorow against Na Pairsaigh has the makings of a great game.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Best of luck to Ballygunner tommorow against Na Pairsaigh has the makings of a great game.

Is it on tv?

Is it on tv?

Deferred coverage on TG4 AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Is it on tv?
    Its on TG 4 but it wont be live if you cant make it down to Walsh Park there's always WLR and watch it later. It was 15 euro for Thurles the last day which I taught was a bit stiff for a club championship game. In these stringent times its going to put a lot of people off as they cant afford it.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Kelly was eventually added as part of the 52 man provisional squad after being originally omitted. He has been given a weights programme to carry out over the winter, along with the rest of the squad.

Glad to hear, it would have been the completely wrong decision otherwise. Hes given too many years service to be just disgareded like that. Everyone deserves a fair chance to impress the new management even Kelly. People forget hes still only 28/29 he should be at the peak of his career and still has time to turn his career around. If hes offering his services for another season at least give him a fair chance to get fit over the winter and see how hes looking in the new year. He dosent necessarily have to make the panel.
    He looked totally out of it this year no doubt and his head definetly wasnt right but then again this whole year was a right off for Waterford imo.
    I wouldnt write Kelly off just yet lets see if theres a second wind in him

Gunners blew it, absolutely blew it. Leading by 6 at HT with the wind, Na Piarsigh went the first 12mins of second half without scoring and it looked like BG were going to run away with it but Na Piarsigh got 2-3 in the space of about 7 or 8 mins (two goals from poor defensive errors) and turned the game. Another goal from another defensive mix up and it was curtains.

Ballygunner will look back at this a huge chance thrown away for Munster and indeed AI success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Anyone know the starting line ups. WLR never gave them.

BG:
    S O'Keeffe
    A. Kirwan
    W. Kiely
    B. Coughlan
    Philip Mahony
    W. Hutchinson
    S. Walsh
    H. Barnes
    D. O'Sullivan
    Paudric Mahony
    S. O'Sullivan
    A. Moloney
    B.O'Sullivan
    S. Power
    JJ. Hutchinson

NaP:
    P.Kennedy
    C. King
    K. Breen
    K. Bermingham
    A. Dempsey
    J. O'Brien
    B. Hartnett
    A. Breen
    P. Gleeson
    K. Kennedy
    D. Breen
    S. O'Neill
    S. Dowling
    K. Downes
    K. Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

If you told me two years ago that any Limerick City club would beat the Waterford senior champs in the Munster championship I wouldn't have took you seriously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement