Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

deisedude wrote: »
    People also need to realise we have lost Stevie Molumphy, Philip Mahony, David O' Sullivan and Richie Foley from the panel this year through injuries and other commitments. All of which have played intercounty midfield in the past few seasons and done reasonably well. It's not like we have a million choices at midfield. Slating the lad because he didn't play for UCC is stupid. Eddie Brennan never played minor for Kilkenny and he turned out ok!

where exactly did i slate the lad you thick fcuker? your now drawing comparissons with a chap who didnt play intercounty minor and a chap who didnt play fitzgibbon cup....if you knew anything, eddie brennan had plenty of ability to play minor hurling for kilkenny, he had won colleges all irelands with kierans and the lot, he just hadnt the interest in it till he got to about 21, he was often quoted in saying so, it wasnt a case that he wasnt good enough for it....i really wonder how many of ye on here actually played any bit of hurling or even think before engaging in the keyboards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Are you waiting to bring up Wayne Hutchison's name and question why he's not on the panel or what's the story? Because I don't see the issue otherwise.

There were no other Fitzgibbon cup players on the bench that I am aware of, so maybe it's more a matter of who we have then anything else? Though it is worth noting that Paudie Prender did start centre back for UCC in one game this year. Also, he's only in second year so most lads on the team have probably a few extra years college hurling under their belts.

well what run was paul o brien given, he has been a midfielder for his club then he was fired in corner forward last year and then fired off the panel, young roche from mt sion played midfield for WIT this year and held his own, now personally i dont think hes up to it just yet, but if they are looking at paudie prendergast then why havnt they been looking at roche? i always thought shane walsh from ballygunner was a solid performer, big strong lad with plenty of hurling, played midfield on u21 team a few years ago that got to munster final, why isnt gavin o brien given a run midfield, he seems too confined in the corner and maybe wing forward or midfield is his more natural position, theres loads of options there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

where exactly did i slate the lad you thick fcuker? your now drawing comparissons with a chap who didnt play intercounty minor and a chap who didnt play fitzgibbon cup....if you knew anything, eddie brennan had plenty of ability to play minor hurling for kilkenny, he had won colleges all irelands with kierans and the lot, he just hadnt the interest in it till he got to about 21, he was often quoted in saying so, it wasnt a case that he wasnt good enough for it....i really wonder how many of ye on here actually played any bit of hurling or even think before engaging in the keyboards

I moderated the GAA forum for a year so i think i know enough about hurling. And while we are at it I wasn't replying to you so don't know why you are so paranoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

No, i thought the chap done well and i dont have a problem with him at all, he has a big future, it was a broad statement i was making about the fitzgibbon cup and intercounty hurling, for example, on that UCC team this year was a full back called Glynn from Dicksboro in KK who had an outstanding fitzgibbon cup, yet he isnt getting a sniff at the county panel, now in my opinion JJ Delaneys natural position isnt full back and with Noel Hickey gone, you'd think a young lad like Glynn would be worth his place even on the panel...i cant think of any other of the top tier counties who have lads playing who arent making their college side. theres a corrolation there between fitzgibbon cup hurling and intercounty hurling, ask any player who's been through both and they'll tell you the same.
    there is one player on our panel that didnt make his college team and u are making an absolute mountain out of a molehill over it. personally i dont care whether r not he made the ucc team as long as he does the business for us. anyone thst saw his performance on monday will tell u that hes well up to fitz standard. why he didnt make the team i dont know but as i say i dont care either. if we had a panel full of lads who werent making fitzgibbon teams i mite share ur argument but its just this one and he is proving to be well worth a try. im not going to waste another second on this ridiculous argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

i know not every hurler goes to college, but my point is, if a fella cant make his college 15, how can he be making his county 15, by your rationale, UCC are better than the waterford senior team?! im sure paudie will have a big future, but hes far from the level needed at the moment for intercounty hurling, unless our standards have severly dropped! if paudie did see game time over the winter and was good enough he would have made the UCC team, so that doesnt "dispel" my arguement, you obviously dont understand the point im trying to make here.
    It really boils down to the options the two panels have in the particular player's position surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

doz wrote: »
    Exceptionally harsh views being offered here on SOK and Paudi Mahony in particular. I'd have no worries about SOK, he's a very confident lad and will learn from his errors. He was outstanding last year and his puckouts were exceptional. I think it's extremely disrespectful to be talking about bringing back Power. He made a decision to leave the panel and nobody forced him.

Paudi Mahony is only just back from injury, people need to get off his back. He's shown his quality before and he should be ready come Championship time. And with all due respect to this young panel, we just don't have the squad depth at this juncture to be leaving players of Paudi's quality out.

There are also a couple of other players such as Nagle and Maurice who routinely get criticised here no matter how they play. Jamie has had a good start to the year and Maurice is also just back from injury. Yet for some reason they are always the fall guys.

A reality check is needed here, we lost to the AI champions on their own patch. We have two home games now, it's in our own hands and people need to be getting behind the team rather than discussing players who by their own choice are not on the panel.

well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

well what run was paul o brien given, he has been a midfielder for his club then he was fired in corner forward last year and then fired off the panel, young roche from mt sion played midfield for WIT this year and held his own, now personally i dont think hes up to it just yet, but if they are looking at paudie prendergast then why havnt they been looking at roche? i always thought shane walsh from ballygunner was a solid performer, big strong lad with plenty of hurling, played midfield on u21 team a few years ago that got to munster final, why isnt gavin o brien given a run midfield, he seems too confined in the corner and maybe wing forward or midfield is his more natural position, theres loads of options there....

Fired in corner forward? How many games did he start in midfield during the league. Might be worthwhile having a look at how we fared in those games. Also he started midfield for his club, so? Paudie Prender was what, centre back for Lismore last year? (a much better club if we're being honest with ourselves). He also has the advantage of being 10 years younger than O'Brien. They probably have been looking at Roche but they quite correctly have identified that Prendergast is better. Was never that impressed with Shane Walsh, he was good enough I suppose but I'd still rate Paudie higher. Dunno what he's done that Prendergast hasn't. And Gavin O Brien would have been destroyed in midfield the other day. Exceptionally talented hurler, but he's a few years away yet from being able to live with the physicality of those Kilkenny lads.

There really isn't loads of options to be honest. Prendergast has been preferred to Roche in any contest between them. Paul O'Brien will never play for Waterford again, his time has come and gone but we all have fond memories of his goal against Tipp in 2004. Shane Walsh is big, but there's obviously a reason he's not on the panel. I get the feeling the whole Paudie Prendergast thing is trying to have a cut at the management, but bar Roche there is nobody else in that bunch that played Fitzgibbon around the middle of the park, whereas Paudie did actually start a game which you are ignoring and also he plays for a team that hasd won back to back Fitzgibbon cups, he'd be on the WIT team if he went there and that is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

young roche was exceptional against tipp in the u21 semi final in 2011, he had a quiet enough year in 2012, I don't know if that was down to injury or what but he has started well again this year for WIT so if he maintains his form for the start of the club championship, it's only a matter of time before he's brought onto the senior panel

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Does anybody know how our injury concerns are shaping up for Sunday's game V Tipp? Daragh Fives? Kevin Moran? Maurice pushing for a start? I presume the XV that started against the Cats will not show too much change. Definitely a status quo in the backs. Maybe Daragh introduced for PP, no disrespect to Paudie who put in a decent shift against Kilkenny. Maurice would bring more scoring threat with him if able to start on Sunday. Maybe Jamie Barron's pace could be utilised too?

Does anybody know how our injury concerns are shaping up for Sunday's game V Tipp? Daragh Fives? Kevin Moran? Maurice pushing for a start? I presume the XV that started against the Cats will not show too much change. Definitely a status quo in the backs. Maybe Daragh introduced for PP, no disrespect to Paudie who put in a decent shift against Kilkenny. Maurice would bring more scoring threat with him if able to start on Sunday. Maybe Jamie Barron's pace could be utilised too?

Is there concerns over Moran? Maybe Prendergast will be wing back. I'd say Fives will be ok to start, doubt Maurice will though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone know where I can find the fixtures for the senior hurling club games? Tried the Waterford website there now but it doesnt seem to have been updated..

deise_girl wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find the fixtures for the senior hurling club games? Tried the Waterford website there now but it doesnt seem to have been updated..

http://people.gaa.ie/club/waterford/#

Click on Waterford competitions and then hurling, then senior, then championship, then you'll have the fixtures for both groups. It's servasport you've to go into to find them :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

http://people.gaa.ie/club/waterford/#

Click on Waterford competitions and then hurling, then senior, then championship, then you'll have the fixtures for both groups. It's servasport you've to go into to find them :)

Cheers, some man for information on everything! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

I thought Moran came off on Monday with a knock, it was probably precautionary more than anything. Hopefully Daragh Fives gets an injury free run now, he's been cursed with injury over the last 18 months.

Cheers, some man for information on everything! :p

Yeah I know, I'm great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

I though Eddie Barrett might get a run out in some of the matches tbh thought he hurled well midfield with de la salle and showed well!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Having just watched the video of the Waterford/Kilkenny game, one thing that was particularly noticeable was the number of times scorable shots fell short and into the hand of the Kilkenny goalie in the first half – five in total. When you add in the Pauric Mahony free that hit the post and the one he missed towards the end, along with the two gifted goals, it shows that Waterford really could have got something from this game (while acknowledging that Kilkenny also missed a lot of good chances).

It was also noticeable that, apart from his two points, Jake Dillon was almost completely anonymous from start to finish, as was Brian O’Sullivan, while Pauric Mahony also had little impact, as was the case with Jamie Barron when he came on. Part of the problem here, as I saw it, was the poor quality of ball being played into the forwards, especially in the second half. There was a tendency to hit the ball straight to players who invariably had a hard-hitting Kilkenny defender up their rear ends, rather than playing the ball into open space. There was also a tendency to play the ball down the wings rather than diagonally across the field which would have given the forwards a better chance.

Brian O’Halloran had a much better game than I initially gave him credit for, although his lack of physicality told against him on several occasions. I was again very impressed with the maturity of Shane Fives’s play, given how little experience he has at this level. Also, Stephen Daniels had a much better game than at least one poster on this site gave him credit for. Jamie Nagle also had a really good game. The second half injury to Kevin Moran was a big blow to Waterford in the closing stages. And Paudie Prendergast is a really lovely hurler.

The evidence of the league so far is that we now have a very good defence, even without Noel Connors and Darragh Fives. We also have talented forwards, but we need to concentrate on giving them the kind of supply which will allow them to do maximum damage.

Apologies for indicating in an earlier post that the Hogan Cup semi-final between Dungarvan Colleges and St. Kieran’s Kilkenny would be taking place in Thurles. This is now fixed for Carriganore for 2 p.m. next Saturday and I would urge everyone to go along and support this latest crop of under-age Déise talent in their bid to get to the final of this great competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

The Waterford G.A.A. Website is a bit of a joke. I dont know who keeps it up to date, or at least who is supposed to. I assume it the secretary or PRO, my gut feeling is it is the secretary. I read some place recently he is taking a bit of a back seat when it comes to fixtures for much of this year and will be working on finanace which I thought was the job of the Treasurer. Maybe if the Secretary is supposed to be up dating it, but does not have the time, maybe someone else could be found on the board - county or divisional to do it.

I was looking at the Cork Website last night. There is some difference between the two. The Cork site has details of fixtures on it right up to sometime in June. I noticed even that they started their Senior championship I think was it last night.

The websites of the other counties in Munster (I did not look at Kerry's as I was looking at Senior Hurling Fixtures) are also poor. The one for Clare is very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

I read on Twitter on Waterford N&S reporter Tomas McCarthy's page that the football game on Sunday is taken out of Walsh Park and moved to WIT. I also see a suggestion that those that attend the football game (The gate man wont be too busy) should get free admission to the hurling. It is possibly to taxing on some of our Co Board to work how how to manage it. Its quite simple however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

That should be fixed pretty shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

IanVW wrote: »
    I though Eddie Barrett might get a run out in some of the matches tbh thought he hurled well midfield with de la salle and showed well!

I thought he went traveling around south east asia or somewhere. Could be wrong though.

alllcounty wrote: »

I thought he went traveling around south east asia or somewhere. Could be wrong though.

No hes back and training alright was on the bench against kilkenny in place of Darragh Fives

O I see, he might get a chance yet. Did very well for DLS last year.

alllcounty wrote: »
    O I see, he might get a chance yet. Did very well for DLS last year.

Yeah i thought that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yeah i thought that too!

Considering that we aren't burdened with midfielders, I think Barrett is definitely worth a look as well. He's pretty raw yet, but he made a big contribution to DLS winning the title in 2012, and has a good engine.

Twomey was chipping over a lot of scores from midfield last season as well, but he hasn't taken his chances yet. He wouldn't be as hard working as Barrett, but has more hurling in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Waterford should have beaten kilkenny sunday.They didnt score for 15 mins in the second half which allowed kilkenny get a grip on the game. The short puck outs with the wind didnt really benefit waterford as much as some long clearences might have, they cost a point at one stage.

Some strange decisions by the referee james mcgrath, kilkenny always seem to get the 50 50 decisions, and did again on sunday. Delaney fouled walsh it was quite obvious yet play was simply waved on in the first half. Waterford should have had at least 5 frees that werent given yet kilkenny got a lot of dubious ones and a kilkenny player, awlward i think, taking about 8 or even 9 steps with the ball for the kilkenny goal in the first half but the referee didnt seem to mind yet he pulled up players for this overcarring afterwards but didnt do anything about the goal which kept kilkenny in the game at that stage.

The most bizarre decision that once again went kilkennys way was the blatantly obvious strike across a waterford players arm, by a kilkenny player, catching him full force near the elbow. Cant remember the players involved. Mcgrath only produced a yellow card yet 24 hours before a kilcormac-kil. player was sent off against st. thomas in the all ireland club final with a straight red produced for an almost identical strike. Even the commentators on TG4 were commentating on the differant colour cards for the same strike on the hurling field.

You can argue all day if a striking offence like that is a yellow card or red.The rule book says red but the thing is that there seems to be no consensus among referees about the rules!
    The standard of referees needs to be raised across the country both club and intercounty, if the game isnt going to decend to whims and what referees prefer certain teams which often seems to be the case to the average hurling fan. More in depth training is needed for referees.The whats a free and whats a yellow card and whats a red card needs to be clearly defined as its a cod at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I think its difficult to argue that we should have won to be honest. I think Waterford played very well in the first half, and our backs are excellent, but Kilkenny as well as scoring two goals could easily have scored two more. We didn't get a sniff of a goal chance which as another poster noted is worrying.

Agree that criticism of O'Keeffe is a bit harsh. He is young and will make mistakes but think we need to stick with him now.Am happy that O'Halloran is looking like the real deal - but is very light. Is there anyway to build him up without sacrificing that speed of his??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i was very impressed with O'Halloran the last day, he has some pace.. and yes i agree who ever struck him with the hurl should of getting a straight red.. ( not sure what kk player it was )

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

All Ireland Colleges Semi final refixed for Tuesday at 2 in Carriganore. Postponed from tomorrow due to pitch conditions in Carrignore.

SH v Tipp. Regan, Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, S O’Sull, P.Pender, Halloran, S Pender, Shan, Dillon, S Walsh, Barron

• Advertisement

Regan, Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, S O’Sull, P.Pender, Halloran, S Pender, Shan, Dillon, S Walsh, Barron

Iggy in goal, I guess he deserves a chance. Kind of disappointed though that the management have dropped SOK. Paudie Prender keeps his place, let's hope he can perform again though he might have to contend with Brendan Maher so no easy task.

First start for Jamie Barron, and I see Maurice Shanahan is to my surprise back in the starting line up. Didn't think they'd start him having only given him 15 minutes the other day. I guess Mahony, O'Keeffe and Brian Sully are being sent a message. But they're good options all the same, and hopefully Darragh Fives will be able to make some sort of cameo appearance.

Accidentally posted this in the Electric Picnic forum first :o

1.Stephen Enright Ballinacourty
    2.Conor Phelan Brickey Rangers
    3.Stephen Prendergast Kilrossanty
    4.Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    5.Tony Grey Stradbally
    6.Brian Wall Nire
    7.John Hurney Ballinacourty
    8.Shane Aherne Stradbally
    9.Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty
    10.Liam Ó Lonáin An Rinn
    11.Sean O Hare Ballinacourty
    12.Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    13.Darren Guiry Nire
    14.Robert Aherne Stradbally
    15.Gary Hurney Ballinacourty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Regan, Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, S O’Sull, P.Pender, Halloran, S Pender, Shan, Dillon, S Walsh, Barron

Iggy in goal, I guess he deserves a chance. Kind of disappointed though that the management have dropped SOK. Paudie Prender keeps his place, let's hope he can perform again though he might have to contend with Brendan Maher so no easy task.

First start for Jamie Barron, and I see Maurice Shanahan is to my surprise back in the starting line up. Didn't think they'd start him having only given him 15 minutes the other day. I guess Mahony, O'Keeffe and Brian Sully are being sent a message. But they're good options all the same, and hopefully Darragh Fives will be able to make some sort of cameo appearance.

Accidentally posted this in the Electric Picnic forum first :o
    Happy enough with that team. Looking forward to seeing what Barron can do over 70 minutes

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Happy enough with that team. Looking forward to seeing what Barron can do over 70 minutes

Well if he's kept on for the whole 70 you know he'll have done something right!

SH v Tipp. Regan, Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, S O’Sull, P.Pender, Halloran, S Pender, Shan, Dillon, S Walsh, Barron

Happy enough with that. Iggy definetly entitled to a run out in goals. I think SOK will be championship keeper anyway unless Iggy does something really special, but worth giving him game time especially given how shaky SOK has been.

Be interesting to see how Barron gets on from the start. Hasnt had much of an impact being introduced into games but maybe this might lift his confidence. Very interesting if Shane Fives keeps up his level of performance at corner back youd be wondering whose going to make way for Connors when he comes back.

Wolnder how does manfromcheese feel about Paudie Prender keeping his place. I mean a player who didnt make his Fitzgibbon team... scandalous:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Would be very happy with that team. While I don't subscribe to any of the criticism of Mahony and SOK being levelled here, I don't think it will do any harm for those players and BOS to be dropped. Management sending out a good signal that nobody is guaranteed their place.

Would be good if Dillon took the close in frees as he's fairly accurate. Who will take the 65's in Mahony's absence. I'd say shanahan will but he can be hit and miss also. Good to see changes to the team being made as it adds a healty competition for starting positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

This Waterford team is the worst team in 15 years in my opinion. I was in Walsh park against Cork and had to have a snigger to myself when a few got excited at the thought of Maurice Shanahan coming on.

Brian O Halloran been rated doesnt say much as I have heard people close to his own club not rate him. The team dont have a solid goalkeeper. Lawlor was just an average player back at schools would be hugely unlikely if he had declared for Tipp he would ever have got much of a look in.

Jamie Nagle again I so often hear his own county men saying how littel they rate him I dont really have an opinion but he has never stood out for me while watching Waterford play.

I suppose considering how weak this team is this is a fantastic league campaign. I would expect an early exit in the summer tho.

I expect Tipp to win easily on Sunday and id expect relegation for Waterford which is a shame considering there performances.

This Waterford team is the worst team in 15 years in my opinion. I was in Walsh park against Cork and had to have a snigger to myself when a few got excited at the thought of Maurice Shanahan coming on.

Brian O Halloran been rated doesnt say much as I have heard people close to his own club not rate him. The team dont have a solid goalkeeper. Lawlor was just an average player back at schools would be hugely unlikely if he had declared for Tipp he would ever have got much of a look in.

Jamie Nagle again I so often hear his own county men saying how littel they rate him I dont really have an opinion but he has never stood out for me while watching Waterford play.

I suppose considering how weak this team is this is a fantastic league campaign. I would expect an early exit in the summer tho.

I expect Tipp to win easily on Sunday and id expect relegation for Waterford which is a shame considering there performances.

Were you not the one that started the thread titled 'Fraher Field-A disgrace' after the Waterford v Cork game? And yet you said the game in Walsh Park in this post.

I'm afraid I can't take anything you've said seriously after that unfotunately.

Were you not the one that started the thread titled 'Fraher Field-A disgrace' after the Waterford v Cork game? And yet you said the game in Walsh Park in this post.

I'm afraid I can't take anything you've said seriously after that unfotunately.

Ive Walsh park in my head as i just text one of the lads to see the exact message "you heading to walsh pk Sunday".

I think its pretty obvious I know the difference and to say you will ignore everything after that on the basis that I dont know the difference between Walsh pk and Fraher field does not really instil confidence in your intelligence. It is a stick your head in the sand kind of comment :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ive Walsh park in my head as i just text one of the lads to see the exact message "you heading to walsh pk Sunday".

I think its pretty obvious I know the difference and to say you will ignore everything after that on the basis that I dont know the difference between Walsh pk and Fraher field does not really instil confidence in your intelligence. It is a stick your head in the sand kind of comment :rolleyes:

Your points were pretty irrelevant too. You didn't actually offer your own opinion on any of the players if you look back at it really, bar that Jamie Nagle has been average any time you've seen him. You sniggered about Maurice coming on, despite the fact that he made the run that should have led to the winning goal only for a poor finish by Brian Sully.

You brought up Liam Lawlor being an average schools hurler (in your opinion) despite the fact that that couldn't be more irrelevant to how he's playing now and says nothing about what he's like now.

And I'd like to know what club the lads your on about were from, or what their motivation was because Brian O'Halloran has always been highly rated in Waterford and he's justifying it this year on the back of having two awfuly hard years with injury. I was at the u21 final in 2009 and there was Clare boys in front of me talking about O'Halloran and asking was he involved as they played against him underage and rated him highly.

The actual point you make about the team may well be true, time will tell. But as far as arguments go, you didn't even come close to backing it up.

Your points were pretty irrelevant too. You didn't actually offer your own opinion on any of the players if you look back at it really, bar that Jamie Nagle has been average any time you've seen him. You sniggered about Maurice coming on, despite the fact that he made the run that should have led to the winning goal only for a poor finish by Brian Sully.

You brought up Liam Lawlor being an average schools hurler (in your opinion) despite the fact that that couldn't be more irrelevant to how he's playing now and says nothing about what he's like now.

And I'd like to know what club the lads your on about were from, or what their motivation was because Brian O'Halloran has always been highly rated in Waterford and he's justifying it this year on the back of having two awfuly hard years with injury. I was at the u21 final in 2009 and there was Clare boys in front of me talking about O'Halloran and asking was he involved as they played against him underage and rated him highly.

The actual point you make about the team may well be true, time will tell. But as far as arguments go, you didn't even come close to backing it up.

Ya im sure there are more here that have seen them up close and the reason a lot of it is not my opinion is the fact ive not seen enough to judge as well as others on the thread.

What I do have is a good insight from several places within the county about different players. I just seen lads been raved about that are very ordinary and would not get a look in with a team hoping for an AI.

I guess my post is close to trolling and I guess what can ye do with the talent at yere disposal only work as best ye can.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

I pay no attention to people on this site that slate our county team, and our up and coming players, okay we might not be at the heights we were a few years ago. But who's to say we won't get there again lots of good young players coming up the ranks. Not saying they'll all break through to senior level , but if 50% of them do, I'd be happy. And most important I really LOVE when were underdogs we play our best hurling then. As to say we won't go far this year in the championship is a bold statement after three league game in brutal conditions, I personally would prefer to go in the back door... not saying that I wouldn't like anothet MF appearance.or winning it. But I think the back door would suit this team better. That just my own opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

Henry Shefflin was just an average player back at schools. You "hear" a lot don't you?

Henry Shefflin was just an average player back at schools. You "hear" a lot don't you?

Liam Lawlor is in his late 20s. Would he make any of the top 3 teams in the country?

Liam Lawlor is in his late 20s. Would he make any of the top 3 teams in the country?

I don't think Tipp are making short work of finding a new full back, and Curran is certainly on the way out. He wouldn't make the Kilkenny team. Who's the third best team in the Country? Cork? Galway? We've better defenses than both, fact.

whos to know. but i think your name hits the nail on the head to be honest

robopaddy wrote: »
    whos to know. but i think your name hits the nail on the head to be honest

Another fantastic response. Id have a little respect for some of the above answers as they are very well thought out.

Another fantastic response. Id have a little respect for some of the above answers as they are very well thought out.

i didnt feel any of your posts merited a 'well thought out' response. thought you were just taking the p**s and looking for a reaction bein honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Obvious troll is obvious really. Gonna be tough to see a win on Sunday though, serious lack of scoring threat from our lads, but fingers crossed, we can still pull it out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement