Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Henry Shefflin was just an average player back at schools. You "hear" a lot don't you?

Someone told me John Mullane did not make the Waterford Tony Forristal team in his last year as an under 14 and did not play in the Nenagh Co-op Tournament. If this is true, he still managed to make a bit of a name for himself without playing much underage inter county hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Black Suir wrote: »
    Someone told me John Mullane did not make the Waterford Tony Forristal team in his last year as an under 14 and did not play in the Nenagh Co-op Tournament. If this is true, he still managed to make a bit of a name for himself without playing much underage inter county hurling.

thats not true, i remember him playing tony forristal at least 2 years and minor with the county for 2 years. am sure he played nenagh co-op also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

thats not true, i remember him playing tony forristal at least 2 years and minor with the county for 2 years. am sure he played nenagh co-op also.

he was presenting medals down our club to u14/u16s a couple years ago and i remember clearly he said in his speech that he never made the Tony Forristal team when he was their age, only made the B' team or Sonny Walsh as its now known. I remember him playing minor alright against Cork corner forward in a Munster semi final in Dungaravan. waterford were well beaten and you certainly wouldnt have picked him out as a future star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
    2. Donagh Maher (Burgess)
    3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)
    4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5. Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)
    6. Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    8. James Woodlock (Drom and Inch)
    9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch) CAPTAIN
    10. Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    12. Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
    13. Shane Bourke (JK Brackens)
    14. Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch)
    15. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

That's the Tipp team to play Waterford. To be honest, I'm actually more confident having seen that team. Obviously they have a very strong subs bench with Eoin Kelly, John O'Dwyer, John O'Brien, Brendan Maher and Conor O Mahoney all to come in. But as for the starting line up, Thomas Stapleton is center back and while he's a good hurler Seamus Prender is playing really well so it's a big ask for him. Don't really rate Conor O Brien, and I really really don't rate Woodlock.

Taking Brendan Maher out of midfield significantly weakens it. There half forward line looks pretty good though they aren't that fast, but Bourke was very quiet last year against Waterford despite the fact that Tipp scored over 30 points against us. Callinan is another player I wouldn't be that worried about to be honest, he's a quality hurler but doesn't take much to put him off his stride.

All in all, I'm giving us a decent chance of getting something out of the game now. Hope I don't end up with egg on my face.

robopaddy wrote: »
    he was presenting medals down our club to u14/u16s a couple years ago and i remember clearly he said in his speech that he never made the Tony Forristal team when he was their age, only made the B' team or Sonny Walsh as its now known. I remember him playing minor alright against Cork corner forward in a Munster semi final in Dungaravan. waterford were well beaten and you certainly wouldnt have picked him out as a future star

I heard the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

He never played Tony Forristal.

well he must have been just saying that to give the young lads encouragement or something, im 100pc sure he played, i had a relative involved with tony forristal teams back then and i can remember it clearly eventhough it is a long time ago now. ive heard paul flynn tell young lads similar stories of how he was lucky to make the waterford minors in 92 etc, they tell young lads things like that to encourage them.
    i rem mullane playing minor v cork in dungarvan in 98, cork went onto win that all ireland and the following year limerick beat the waterford minors in thurles, john was #13 both years, the nucleus of that limerick minor team then went on to win 3 u21 all irelands in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

well he must have been just saying that to give the young lads encouragement or something, im 100pc sure he played, i had a relative involved with tony forristal teams back then and i can remember it clearly eventhough it is a long time ago now. ive heard paul flynn tell young lads similar stories of how he was lucky to make the waterford minors in 92 etc, they tell young lads things like that to encourage them.
    i rem mullane playing minor v cork in dungarvan in 98, cork went onto win that all ireland and the following year limerick beat the waterford minors in thurles, john was #13 both years, the nucleus of that limerick minor team then went on to win 3 u21 all irelands in a row.

Mullane didn't play tony forristal he was on the sonny Walsh team

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Best of luck to both teams tomorrow, what's the deal with the footballer's playing in Carriganore at 12.45. Walsh park could be dodgy for tomorrow the forecast is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Best of luck to both teams tomorrow, what's the deal with the footballer's playing in Carriganore at 12.45. Walsh park could be dodgy for tomorrow the forecast is not good.

Tomorrows forecast is cloudy. After the hammering the pitch has got over the 2 weeks it makes sense to remove the football form Walsh Park and put it in Carriganore.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Tomorrows forecast is cloudy. After the hammering the pitch has got over the 2 weeks it makes sense to remove the football form Walsh Park and put it in Carriganore.

What';s Carriganore like though, given they had to postpone the Post Primary games the other day?

Have there been many games played in Walsh Park recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

This Waterford team is the worst team in 15 years in my opinion. I was in Walsh park against Cork and had to have a snigger to myself when a few got excited at the thought of Maurice Shanahan coming on.

Brian O Halloran been rated doesnt say much as I have heard people close to his own club not rate him. The team dont have a solid goalkeeper. Lawlor was just an average player back at schools would be hugely unlikely if he had declared for Tipp he would ever have got much of a look in.

Jamie Nagle again I so often hear his own county men saying how littel they rate him I dont really have an opinion but he has never stood out for me while watching Waterford play.

I suppose considering how weak this team is this is a fantastic league campaign. I would expect an early exit in the summer tho.

I expect Tipp to win easily on Sunday and id expect relegation for Waterford which is a shame considering there performances.
    Worst team in fifteen years you say let me see that would be 1998 I'll take that as a compliment for the present team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Just saw the ref for tomorrow - isn't Cathal McAllister the ref who handled the AI Semi Final when Tipp completely lost the run of themselves? Never expected to see him act as ref again after that disaster. Hope we don't have a repeat tomorrow. He'll hardly allow the Tipp boys the same latitude again - certainly not Padraig Maher in any case.

Grats wrote: »
    Just saw the ref for tomorrow - isn't Cathal McAllister the ref who handled the AI Semi Final when Tipp completely lost the run of themselves? Never expected to see him act as ref again after that disaster. Hope we don't have a repeat tomorrow. He'll hardly allow the Tipp boys the same latitude again - certainly not Padraig Maher in any case.

He's a reputation for letting things go. Mind you I think your over-reacting, there was only one player guilty of any misdemeanor in that match and it's not like he goes out swinging hurleys off players every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

He's a reputation for letting things go. Mind you I think your over-reacting, there was only one player guilty of any misdemeanor in that match and it's not like he goes out swinging hurleys off players every game.

Without going into detail I think that Ref missed an awful lot in that game. That player did more dangerous hurley swinging in that one game than most would do in their entire career. The ref "missing" so much is one thing I suppose but the great CCCC ignored the whole debacle. Strange really as even a large number of Tipp people were disgusted by it

Anyway, best of luck to Waterford tomorrow. Think they'll give Tipp a better test than Galway did. Galway are overly focused on Kilkenny and appear not to be able to apply their tactics universally. Waterford will apply their game plan no matter who the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Is Waterford v Tipp on TG4 tomorrow or what game is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Actually just found out they are showing mayo v donegal with clare v kilkenny deferred showing.

Crazy stuff from the GAA having the football and the hurling games on the same weekend.There are loads of weekends with no gaa matches on the telly only soccer and rugby and when one gaa sport is shown both games are on the same weekend and most game at the same time.

Crazy way to promote gaelic games.

noiniho wrote: »
    Mullane didn't play tony forristal he was on the sonny Walsh team

yeah and he was on the tony forristal team the following year.

mcallisters father is a waterford man, from west waterford, hes an alrite referee, cant be any worse then sexton or mickey wadding for that matter!!

yeah and he was on the tony forristal team the following year.
    ur adamant about this arent you!! we have it straight ftom the horses mouth himself yet u still know best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

sexton has to be one of the worse reffs in the game. i cant stand him.

ur adamant about this arent you!! we have it straight ftom the horses mouth himself yet u still know best!

lol

what about it name one ref who has never had on off-day...
    just on that particur incident how it never went punished properly is beyond me. rice's injury was horrific he had to get reconstructive surgery on his hand 3 fingers completely shattered how hes even holding a hurley again they have said is an achievement in itself. the lad missed the AI cause of it. i wouldnt be kk's biggest fan by any stretch but id gave to agree with cody that if it was a kk player did it to someone else wed all be up in arms abt it and in a way their own reputation caught up with them in this case. ive heard it that paudraic maher isnt a dirty player but makes no bones abt it it was one savage dirty pull.
    anyway rant over best of luck to the lads today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

any idea why Dungarvan's Shane Kearney isn't getting a run on the waterford team??? surely he's more than earned a shot at it, following his great senior hurling campaign last year???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

how much to get into walsh park today for the people that dont work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford 0-7 Offaly 0-7 latest in the football

PP have live betting on it, which means they are the best place to get score updates

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_betlive_event&ev_id=4980184

any idea why Dungarvan's Shane Kearney isn't getting a run on the waterford team??? surely he's more than earned a shot at it, following his great senior hurling campaign last year???

why he hasn't got a run yet puzzles me. Once he got switched onto mullane in the Co final last year. i think he did a fantastic job keeping him quite

what time is throw in ??? im guessing its 2:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

yeah 2.30 throw in
    martin o neill starting in place of shane walsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

footballers lost 2-15 to 1-11 or something like that

great goal, honnn the deise
    1-2 to 04

tipp doing most of the hurling, and they only a point up honn the deise

come on lads step it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭skaface

1-08 to 15 pts to tipp, 15 minutes to go.. we need to start getting some scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

skaface wrote: »
    1-08 to 15 pts to tipp, 15 minutes to go.. we need to start getting some scores
    Only two points down now , C'mon Waterford

• Advertisement

come on to F**k lads step it up.

The Brick having some game again.. c,mon lads . still 2 pts in it

Level!! C'mon!!

yes come on lads put it over the bar

2 Frees missed by O Mahony in as many minutes.. we should be level.. still 2 pts down, last 5 minutes to play.. c,mon!!

• Advertisement

Kevin Moran u legend, Waterford win by one!! Deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Another one snicked at the death. Thin margins..

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HHHHHHHHOOOOOOONNNNNN THE DEISE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Yes, hon the Deise! Fantastic stuff from the lads. Nothing better than proving the 'expert' critics wrong yet again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Huge win and I'm not just talking about avoiding the drop.

Great for this team to beat one of the big 2, should give them real belief for the next few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Another one snicked at the death. Thin margins..

Ill take those margins :pac:
    Even if following this team isnt good for my health :o

Final Score

WATERFORD 1 -14
    TIPPERARY 0 -16

What a great game to win, there,s a bit of cuttin in this team.. C,mon The Deise !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

There's a lot to be said for grinding out a win at the death and we've left enough games behind by the odd score. Well done to the hurlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

There's life in Waterford hurling yet!

That should be Division 1 A status secured and a good shout of a semi final too. Brilliant stuff.

motm is Brick for me, or maybe moran

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement