Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Cake Man wrote: »
    Gunners blew it, absolutely blew it. Leading by 6 at HT with the wind, Na Piarsigh went the first 12mins of second half without scoring and it looked like BG were going to run away with it but Na Piarsigh got 2-3 in the space of about 7 or 8 mins (two goals from poor defensive errors) and turned the game. Another goal from another defensive mix up and it was curtains.

Ballygunner will look back at this a huge chance thrown away for Munster and indeed AI success.

True but they just werent good enough on the day. 0-02 in the second half just not good enough at this level. Na Piarsaigh defence very physical small light lads like jj hutchinson and brian o'sullivan struggled to get into it. Na Piarsaigh deserved it. a real lesson for these Ballygunner young lads they took their foot off the gas and before they knew what hit them Na Piarsaigh were out of sight.

This championship is wide open now Ballyboden beaten by Coolderry. as far as I can see Oulart and Gort the strongest teams left in the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Id like to say well done to Sliabh gCua today in the Munster Junior football semi final. They gave it everything and never gave up despite loosing on a score line of 1-10 to 1-6. They did their county proud, up against a club who joined with several other clubs to form Thomas MacDonagh's who won the Tipperary senior football championship last week

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Ballygunner were talking about wining an All Ireland before they even played a Munster Semi final this is the second time they have been caught by first timers in club championship well lads your not as good as De La Salle at this level.. A Limerick man siting behind me in Walsh Park today said typicial Waterford easy to beat I couldn't disagree with that. We are seen as a soft touch by most hurling counties and it doesn't look good for the coming season we are badly stuck for a decent goalie now from what I have seen so far this year. Dreadful display from Ballygunner in the second half beaten by an 18yr old corner forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Dowling is some size for an 18 yr old he's a serious hurler and he was probably the only good thing wit payin 15 euro's(cant understand no discount for people on the dole) into the game.Ballygunner hit too many wides at key moments in the game and probably thought going in at half time the game was over, it was a terrible game to watch really with only the last 10 mins worth watching.Ballygunner must be sick an should be cos they threw that game away today

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Ballygunner were talking about wining an All Ireland before they even played a Munster Semi final this is the second time they have been caught by first timers in club championship well lads your not as good as De La Salle at this level.. A Limerick man siting behind me in Walsh Park today said typicial Waterford easy to beat I couldn't disagree with that. We are seen as a soft touch by most hurling counties and it doesn't look good for the coming season we are badly stuck for a decent goalie now from what I have seen so far this year. Dreadful display from Ballygunner in the second half beaten by an 18yr old corner forward.

Yea a fellow leaned over me in the stand to talk to another guy in front of me at half time, he was nearly shouting that Ballygunner were favourites to win the all ireland. It's a pity Ballygunner threw it away, but the face on Charlie Lapdance when the second goal went in was priceless.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

mccarthy37 wrote: »

T'was very easy for them in June and in 2009, and in the Munster Final in 2007, and in 2003 as well sure :rolleyes:

Ballygunner maybe the Waterford representatives in the Munster Championship, but they do not characterize everything about Waterford hurling. No club does. Anyway, harsh and ignorant comment that he made even towards Ballygunner and indeed Na Piarsaigh. I wonder how many of the Na Piarsaigh lads thought that was an easy win?

Also, far too pessimistic and outlook to have in November. There's a 52 man training panel been picked, and there will be trial games for players who didn't play inter county last year to see if the management wants to add to that. Didn't see much of todays game, but Stephen O'Keefe is a fine goalkeeper. Adrian Power is also a top notch keeper. One area I'm certainly not worried about.

Ballygunner's full back line is their worst line without doubt, but Shane Dowling is a top drawer talent, superior to Downes in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

T'was very easy for them in June and in 2009, and in the Munster Final in 2007, and in 2003 as well sure :rolleyes:

Ballygunner maybe the Waterford representatives in the Munster Championship, but they do not characterize everything about Waterford hurling. No club does. Anyway, harsh and ignorant comment that he made even towards Ballygunner and indeed Na Piarsaigh. I wonder how many of the Na Piarsaigh lads thought that was an easy win?

Also, far too pessimistic and outlook to have in November. There's a 52 man training panel been picked, and there will be trial games for players who didn't play inter county last year to see if the management wants to add to that. Didn't see much of todays game, but Stephen O'Keefe is a fine goalkeeper. Adrian Power is also a top notch keeper. One area I'm certainly not worried about.

Ballygunner's full back line is their worst line without doubt, but Shane Dowling is a top drawer talent, superior to Downes in my opinion.

I'd probably agree with that. Downes at the top of his game is top class but Dowling is incredibly consistent, for club (senior and underage) and for county (U-21 and minor). I mean he scored 3-7 in the minor final last weekend, 3-2 from play...that is just incredible.

In terms of young Limerick talent, I'd say Hannon is the best, with Dowling close behind and then Downes, Dempsey, O'Connell.

Ballygunner hit too many bad wides...never put Na Piarsaigh away and they were always going to have a goal threat with Dowling, Breen and Downes in the team- they go for goals. A couple of bad mistakes by Ballygunner but I think it was wayward shooting at the other end that cost them too. If they had gone 10 or so points up, I don't think there was any way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

If it's any consolation lads, you won't have to put up with me putting up links to my match reports again until 2012 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Limerick hurling certainly seems to be on the up, plenty good young players there & a good manager in John Allen.

disappointing for Ballygunner .... serious players but lack that bit of fight DLS seem to have in Winter hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

mark17 wrote: »
    Yea a fellow leaned over me in the stand to talk to another guy in front of me at half time, he was nearly shouting that Ballygunner were favourites to win the all ireland. It's a pity Ballygunner threw it away, but the face on Charlie Lapdance when the second goal went in was priceless.................

Ye're two great f****n lads altogether. Two Waterford men coming on here to gloat over Ballygunner being beaten.
    Ye're an absolute disgrace and should be ashamed of yourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Id like to say well done to Sliabh gCua today in the Munster Junior football semi final. They gave it everything and never gave up despite loosing on a score line of 1-10 to 1-6. They did their county proud, up against a club who joined with several other clubs to form Thomas MacDonagh's who won the Tipperary senior football championship last week

Kildangan is my own club, was at yesterdays game, are you a sliabh gCua man??

Kildangan is my own club, was at yesterdays game, are you a sliabh gCua man??

Not from there but from a neighbouring village, would know the players and people involved with the team. what did you make of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Not from there but from a neighbouring village, would know the players and people involved with the team. what did you make of the game?

There was a fairly strong breeze and it ruined the game a small bit, Kildangan were always in control even after having a lad sent off and the Sliabh gCua goal was from a goalkeeper error and I think all of their points came from fress.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 updownup

jesus the gunners really threw away that game yest , they be tossin an turning for years over that one. when the shi.t hit the fan they just werent up for it . really bad mistakes in the second half for sok an hutchy , basically lost them the game . munster club u will get punished everytime for that. in sayin that ballygunner were poor from play yest relyin on frees for alot of there scores , think the physical team of dls an never say die attitude when it came to the melting pot would not have lost this game yest .

There was a fairly strong breeze and it ruined the game a small bit, Kildangan were always in control even after having a lad sent off and the Sliabh gCua goal was from a goalkeeper error and I think all of their points came from fress.

All of the points from frees bar 1 if im correct. Sliabh gCua just did'nt have the strength in dept in their panel. No one to come on and change the game, understandable when your picking from a very small area. . I though they mite have folded at one stage when they went 6 points down but they stuck at it. Massive support from waterford their aswel, the village must have been like a ghost town yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 gladiators

Do people think waterford will do well in the minor hurling grade in 2012 and continue on from the success of the last few years? Think they still have a few players from last years panel such as stephen bennett. Is there any promising young players joining the panel this year that could be stars I wonder??

gladiators wrote: »
    Do people think waterford will do well in the minor hurling grade in 2012 and continue on from the success of the last few years? Think they still have a few players from last years panel such as stephen bennett. Is there any promising young players joining the panel this year that could be stars I wonder??

Have had 3 good minor teams getting to Munster finals 3 years in a row. After some very lean years at underage. Hard to say if next years team will be successful but can guarantee will be very competitive. Have a hard draw away to Clare but there is nothing between the Munster counties at underage the days of Cork/Tipp dominance have gone the others have caught up to that level

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    Ye're two great f****n lads altogether. Two Waterford men coming on here to gloat over Ballygunner being beaten.

I don't in anyway apologise for not supporting Ballygunner. I went into a publichouse on the Dunmore Road last year when de La Salle were playing Thurles Sarsfields and I saw and heard Ballygunner senior players screaming in support of Thurles Sarsfields.
    That is probably O.K. though, I also saw in Dungarvan a Ballygunner Club official screaming and demanding like a spoiled childm probably the best Waterford player Waterford ever had off the line, because he was serving a ban. Now Mr. typical Ballygunner sore looser who should be ashamed.
    Your attitude on this board typifies your Ballygunner background................

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Greatest ever player are you mad??? All i saw out him in club championship this yr is using a hurley like a weapon going up the tunnel in walsh park this year..

Anyway its over for another season in waterford club level and unfortunately the gunners were the best this yr..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Personally I thought that Ballygunner handled that situation in Fraher Field in appalling fashion, and I was also appalled to hear that any group of players would cheer on a team representing their county.

I therefore feel it would be very petty for DLS supporters to act in the same fashion. Despite not having a whole lot of love for Ballygunner, I was very disappointed by their flop in the second half on Sunday. I wasn't impressed by Na Piarsaigh, and this was a missed opportunity to win some silverwear with the absence of many of the traditionally strong clubs in Munster as well as each of the other provinces.

A poor year in the Club Championships for Waterford sides in 2011, which again brings up the debates surrounding the need to take another look at re-structuring our games here. Our junior and intermediate standards in particular are simply not up to scratch.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry if you taught that I was gloating that is something I would never do .I was very harsh in what I had to say as I was only back from the match and I was mad at what I had just seen. If you go back over previous posts you will see I was the only one to wish Ballygunner well for Sunday.I,went down to this match fairly certain that they would win. First half grand strong breeze 6 points up would need to up there game for the second half and try to add three or four more points to take control of this game but they just seemed like they were in second gear so Na Pairiasgh upped there game and with all due respect got three very soft goals and Ballygunner panicked in to action way to late. Its a real pity as its another great chance for silverware gone I hope I'm wrong but I see a real slide backwards since last years Munster Final in Waterford hurling, one real bright hope was the minor county final which was one of the best I have seen for quiet some time. All there is left to say is the best of luck to Na pairiasgh and hard luck to Ballygunner we will have to watch from the sidelines again.

We'll have our best team availbale for the league, and the new management team will have scope to try out any players they like to see how they fair at the highest level of the game.

Last year I feel that Twomey and Daniels in particular suffered as a result of the club championship extending through a good portion of the league. If they had been available from the start they may have gotten the opportunity they deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Harty Cup results today:

Blackwater CBS 2-13 St. Flannans 1-20. 4pt loss for BW and are out now.

DLS 2-13 Colaiste Chriost Ri 1-12. Good win for DLS which sees them through to the quarter finals.

Colaiste na nDeise 3-17 Our Lady's Templemore 2-6. Another good high scoring win for West Waterford colleges (after hammering St. Caimins in the first game) which also sees them through to the quarters.

Best of luck to both Waterford colleges in the quarters.

Anyone have a list of the panel of 52 drawn up by Michael Ryan & co? Any surprise omissions/inclusions?
    Heard Jerome Maher didnt make it very harsh on the lad. Was very badly treated by previous management his confidence must be completely shot now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Has Eoin Kelly been dropped off the senior panel? Have heard a lot of rumours about it but not sure whether to believe them or not. Could somebody fill me in?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Has Eoin Kelly been dropped off the senior panel? Have heard a lot of rumours about it but not sure whether to believe them or not. Could somebody fill me in?

I'v been told anyway that he's definitely not been dropped,but this time of year you'l hear all sorts stories flyin around :) but as far as i know the only players allowed to train before January with the whole intercounty GAA training ban, is lads that were not part of championship panels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is Big Dan back on it?

thesultan wrote: »
    Is Big Dan back on it?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Is Big Dan back on it?

What makes you think Big Dan will be back on panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

I just heard it.

• Advertisement

I just heard it.

well u heard wrong

I just heard it.
    Pub talk I'd say, Dan won't be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Was at the Ballygunner v Cappoquin U21 county final today in Carriganore, finished 4-23 to 0-10 to the Gunners. Awfully one sided game but in fairness Cappoquin were even enough in the first half with the aid of a stiff breeze but BG just overpowered them second half and played some nice hurling. Came in a few mins late but from what I saw Brian O'Sullivan got a hat-trick (finished up with about 3-6 I'd guess), Paudric Mahony did well too and got about 0-10. Harley Barnes, Philip Mahony and Barry Coughlan all had fine games too and played plenty of good ball. Gunners retain their U21 county title and looks as if they'll continue to keep mopping up senior titles in the next few years IMO, as they've plenty of fine players coming through.

Darragh Fives was quiet enough at centre back for Cappoquin but in fairness, it was a day that nothing really worked for them and BG were just too good, were first to every breaking ball, had a much better first touch and had forwards who were well able to do damage. Cappoquin's no.11 Shane O'Rourke was prob their best on show. Big lad that isn't the most mobile but he has a fine strike and got some nice scores.

First time down in Carriganore and I must say it's a lovely set-up down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

Why bother commenting on a game when you didn't even see the whole lot of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Oh come on now, that's a little unfair... he said he came in a few minutes late, and you latch on to that?

If he missed something important, tell us!

Most of us can't go to every game at every level, and it's good of Cake Man and others to take the time to post up a bit of news, even if he did miss a few minutes. That's what the thread is for, surely? :confused:

Are Ballinameela the only Waterford club still in the Munster club championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Why bother posting on the thread when you never have anything positive to say. Do you have to make an effort to be this bitter or does it just come naturally?

comeraghs wrote: »
    Are Ballinameela the only Waterford club still in the Munster club championship?

Well yes...but then they haven't played a game yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 updownup

KevIRL wrote: »
    Why bother posting on the thread when you never have anything positive to say. Do you have to make an effort to be this bitter or does it just come naturally?

hes what ya call a cyber tough guy hiding behind his laptop.how brave you are , goin on previous post davy u seem quite the big man .well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Yeah, seriously if your're only coming onto this thread to be acting the bollix, then just leave because there's people here that want to talk hurling and not just bully and annoy people.

Any word on Tony Browne staying on with the County team?
    Hard to keep track as im in Oz.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Any word on Tony Browne staying on with the County team?
    Hard to keep track as im in Oz.

Tony will be 39 next July has signed up for one more year. Its unbelievable in this day when some great players have given up before they were 33 but Tony is in great health only met him recently he only looks like a fella in his early thirties. Hope your enjoying Oz.

Go on Tony!! :)
    Look at Cha Fitzpatrick giving up on KK at 26. Very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

5 all irelands and can't get a plcae on the team. Opposite to Tony really!

5 all irelands and can't get a plcae on the team. Opposite to Tony really!
    I want to see Tony win one All Ireland medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I want to see Tony win one All Ireland medal.

I think we can safely say we all do! The word Legend is thrown around a lot these days but its the only way to describe Tony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Michael Ryan was on WLR dis morning and he says he doesent believe in the 4 month layoff for the more experienced players and wants all the players to start from the beginning of the year.

In the past the 4 month layoff has proved excellent for our older players and players especially John Mullane.

So getting rid of the 4 month layoff a good or a bad thing ??

Discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Firstly, it isn't a four month layoff. Every player is keeping himself ticking over during the winter.

You don't see this type of hard slog training in other professional sports as they maintain their fitness during the year. That is why you'll reguarly see Irish rugby players out enjoying a pint after most games whenn= many GAA players will be afraid to touch a beer all season.

e-mail from Club Deise!

Hi All,

We have a terrific photographic book on sale this Christmas made up of over 200 photographs from the camera of photojournalist Michael Kiely.

The Book, named 'The Wonder Years', spans the roller coaster ride we have taken with the Waterford hurlers between 2002 and 2011.

The photographs cover the action shots and behind the scenes, much of which has been unseen before.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, and this is true, but if you can add to the story with the insightful captions of journalist Jamie O'Keeffe so much the better.

This book was put together as a labour of love by these two passionate Waterford supporters and we in Club Déise are only too delighted to be part of the project.

The book will cost €15 and the Official Launch will take place at Eason Dungarvan at 6.30pm 0n Thur Dec 1st.

This book was put together as a labour of love by these two passionate Waterford supporters and we in Club Déise are only too delighted to be part of the project.

The book will cost €15 and the Official Launch will take place at Eason Dungarvan at 6.30pm 0n Thur Dec 1st.

The players will be in attendance so if you would like to make a copy even more special, come along and get it autographed.

As always the proceeds from the book will go to the training & preparation of our county GAA teams.

Follow us on facebook for updates http://www.facebook.com/pages/TheWonderYears/227126397348850 - Like & Share to be in with a chance of winning a copy :-)

UP THE DÉISE !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Rumour has it that Brick and Michael Ryan have not got off to the best start with Ryan telling him that he wont be really used during the league...Brick not happy so has informed John Owens that he will be available to the Footballers for that period.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement