Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Rumour has it that Brick and Michael Ryan have not got off to the best start with Ryan telling him that he wont be really used during the league...Brick not happy so has informed John Owens that he will be available to the Footballers for that period.
    What is to say that brick won't stop there and play with the footballers for the championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Teebor15

What is to say that brick won't stop there and play with the footballers for the championship?

I would say there is definetly a chance of that happening. I dont know him personnally put i would think that football may be his first love and went hurling as there was and still is a greater chance of success and a higher profile. But with the county football team after making decent strides in recent years albeit coming from a pretty low level and with a serious possibilty of making a munster final with Clare and Limerick on our side of the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

I would say there is definetly a chance of that happening. I dont know him personnally put i would think that football may be his first love and went hurling as there was and still is a greater chance of success and a higher profile. But with the county football team after making decent strides in recent years albeit coming from a pretty low level and with a serious possibilty of making a munster final with Clare and Limerick on our side of the draw.

Will be missed off the hurling team if it happens. Why did Ryan say that to him?
    The players need to take it on the chin if it happens, look at Eoin Kelly throwing a tantrum for been taken off, Pauric Mahony was taken off in a game and walked off pitch with no problem.
    Think it was the AI semi Final against KK IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I dont know..maybe he wants to try other players, maybe he thinks he needs a rest, maybe its all a load of bollocks and theres no truth in it...as i said its just a rumour i heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

There is definetly no truth in that.

Unsuprisingly Gavin O'Brien's goal against Dublin made it into TG4's goal of the year list. You can vote here:

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/gaa-beo/hurling-goals/hurling-f.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I dont know..maybe he wants to try other players, maybe he thinks he needs a rest, maybe its all a load of bollocks and theres no truth in it...as i said its just a rumour i heard.

So Michael Ryan wants all the older lads on board for the entirity of the league yet has informed Brick Walsh that he wont be used for the league? Either Scully has lost the plot or one of ye are talking 'bollocks' the latter i suggest

Personally I think resting the older players worked to a degree during the end of Justins tenure and under Davy, but most the older guys are gone now cant be accommodating them anymore maybe were better off now clean slate everyone should be under the same radar mullane included. mullane needs to hurl at this stage of his career dls are gone since september so id rather see him in the thick of it during the league

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

comeraghs wrote: »
    Are Ballinameela the only Waterford club still in the Munster club championship?

Not anymore unfortunately. But fair play to Ballinameela and Butlerstown for serving up three very competitive county finals in the Junior grade. And Congradulations to Ballinameela on their first Hurling title in 26 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by my count Waterford club sides played 7 games between them in Munster Championship games in 2011, and lost 6 of these 7?

Is anyone else slightly worried/bothered about that?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but by my count Waterford club sides played 7 games between them in Munster Championship games in 2011, and lost 6 of these 7?

It tends to be the norm. Outside of the Senior Club Hurling Championship I'd say we've an abysmal record in Munster! But to be fair I think Waterford is the smallest county in Munster, maybe Clare is a little smaller, so it does stand to reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

It tends to be the norm. Outside of the Senior Club Hurling Championship I'd say we've an abysmal record in Munster! But to be fair I think Waterford is the smallest county in Munster, maybe Clare is a little smaller, so it does stand to reason.

The structure of the intermediate championship really doesn't help the county winners when it comes to playing in Munster

• Advertisement

I am. Were way off the pace in both hurling & football at junior & intermediate grade. I dont know if a waterford club hsd ever even made a munster final in these grades. Its alarming how our 2 intermediate champions were blown away in the Munster championship this year both with home advantage against mediocre enough opposition. The standard of our games is not going to improve with the current system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Was anyone listening to the sports programme on WLR on Saturday. What a cock up they made of the GAA fundraising draw.

In most draws, the person that is pulled out first gets the top prize, but not in this draw. The first person out got €1,000 while fifth name out won a Nissan Quasquai. This ment that there was four people who parted with €20 (to bail out the county board after Davy was got rid off after breaking us) that were not entered into the draw for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Yeah listening to the draw myself on Saturday , couldn't believe the protocol they used on the programme . Seemed uncertain themselves before they even stated pulling out the names . Never have I heard of a draw that the person pulled out last won the first prize and the person pulled out first won the last prize ??? Can anybody enlighten us on the legal implications of such an obvious blunder ?

I am. Were way off the pace in both hurling & football at junior & intermediate grade. I dont know if a waterford club hsd ever even made a munster final in these grades. Its alarming how our 2 intermediate champions were blown away in the Munster championship this year both with home advantage against mediocre enough opposition. The standard of our games is not going to improve with the current system

Well lads, I suppose one way we can help achieve a move towards restructuring of our Championships is to start talking about it. Down the boozer, down at the club etc.

I'm not a county board delegate, but I reckon many are unaware or don't care how bad the situation is. These guys are human though, and if it is being talked about at home then it might be brought up.

For any GAA historians out there - when was the last time a Waterford site won a junior or intermediate title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

For any GAA historians out there - when was the last time a Waterford site won a junior or intermediate title?

Never, although the interprovincial championships at club level for junior and intermediate are relatively new. 2004 were the first AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So what is everyones prediction on Waterford Hurling for 2012. ??

We are in a tough group in the league playing all ireland winners Kilkenny and League Winners Dublin among other top teams.

We are playing a somewhat unknown Clare side in the championship who are under the stewardship of former Waterford Manager Davy Fitzgerald. Could Davys knowledge of Waterford bring Clare over the line ??.

We are without some of our top players due to retirement (Clinton Hennessy, Eoin Murphy, Ken Mcgrath).

I would be happy with a top 4 finish in the league and maybe the Quarter Finals Of The All Ireland.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So what is everyones prediction on Waterford Hurling for 2012. ??

We are in a tough group in the league playing all ireland winners Kilkenny and League Winners Dublin among other top teams.

We are playing a somewhat unknown Clare side in the championship who are under the stewardship of former Waterford Manager Davy Fitzgerald. Could Davys knowledge of Waterford bring Clare over the line ??.

We are without some of our top players due to retirement (Clinton Hennessy, Eoin Murphy, Ken Mcgrath).

I would be happy with a top 4 finish in the league and maybe the Quarter Finals Of The All Ireland.

Its hard to believe we are going to set the world alight next season. New manager needs to be given time. We are now very much a team in transition. We punched above our weight with Davy Fits, truth be told. We reached the AI semis 4 years in a row under him with a team that was over the hill and the younger players were very raw.

There are plenty of promising young lads coming through but were not going to see miracles overnight. We'll still be dependant on the likes of Brick & Mullane and I cant see us toppling a Tipp or a KK next year. We'll be there or thereabouts but an AI semi final would be an achievement again. Unless the new manager is going to work miracles.

The likes of Clare & Limerick are catching up aswell and although some would say weve got a decent draw in the championship, were not as far ahead of Clare as we were.

Its hard to believe we are going to set the world alight next season. New manager needs to be given time. We are now very much a team in transition. We punched above our weight with Davy Fits, truth be told. We reached the AI semis 4 years in a row under him with a team that was over the hill and the younger players were very raw.

There are plenty of promising young lads coming through but were not going to see miracles overnight. We'll still be dependant on the likes of Brick & Mullane and I cant see us toppling a Tipp or a KK next year. We'll be there or thereabouts but an AI semi final would be an achievement again. Unless the new manager is going to work miracles.

The likes of Clare & Limerick are catching up aswell and although some would say weve got a decent draw in the championship, were not as far ahead of Clare as we were.

I dont know about punching above our weight, i would say that we got lucky, very lucky to be honest. Maybe this can be put down to the standard of hurling right now than anything else.

I'm sure many of you will have seen the dire financial straights Mayo have found themselves in, but I think their new season ticket offering looks like a good idea.

For €200 they are offering entry to all the National League games, entry to all club games for the season, a ticket for Mayo's first Championship game, and priority tickets for all championship games after that.

Although our financial position is not as dire as theirs, should Waterford perhaps look towards something similar?

The difference between this ticket and the regular season ticket is €125. Although our club championship wouldn't provide enough decent games for most people to get value for money, if an entry into a decent prize draw was included it might be worth people buying?

Timmy O'Keefe are you reading!?

• Advertisement

My own opinion is that the team has been sold short the last few years. Can anyone honestly look at the squads of Wexford, Limerick, Clare, Offaly, Carlow, Laois, Antrim, Westmeath and dare I say even Galway, and also Dublin (not including this year, as they achieved more than we did this year anyway), and say they were better than our own? That would have us at third best in the country, so semi-final is an achievement in line with our ability.

Davy Fitz came in, in 2008 at the perfect time for himself. Looking back at some of the comments made about it at the time a few months ago, I noticed that people were saying it would be a big mistake for Justin to be let go, that what happened against Clare was only a blip, and that considering three of our best players were missing (Eoin Murphy, Eoin Kelly, Ken McGrath) that we shouldn't get carried away! The rest is history.

When Fitzgerald came in, we beat Antrim, Offaly and scraped over Wexford, hardly awe-inspiring achievements. Beating Tipperary that year made him. Now, Tipp were good, but they were young, and hadn't had to deal with the 5 week break before, and also probably fancied themselves a bit having been unbeaten all year! The most striking thing about it though, was the contribution of those three players to winning that game. Eoin Murph negated the threat of Eoin Kelly, Eoin Kelly was (wrongly in my opinion) awarded man of the match for scoring 1-10, and Ken McGrath switching to centre back made the big difference in us winning, as he was my man of the match.

Point is that Fitzgerald got praise for beating teams that we were better than, as if he was doing a really good job. You could argue (and some have) that he was keeping us consistent. Fair enough, but we're was the ambition? There was no improvement on the previous reign, progress was stagnant. I think it was the team's ability that kept us there, rather than good management.

Every year the same thing is said, "We're in transition now, we can' really be looking to do anything spectacular". Teams are constantly in transition, always changing. You know a team is f*cked if they aren't adding to the team.

The great contradiction about the whole thing is the same people that would tell you we shouldn't aim too high, would say it's the attitude difference between ourselves and Kilkenny and Tipp, the fact that the other two expect to win, is why we they are 'a level' above us.

I'm not about to say what I think we should achieve this year. For christ sake, there isn't even a definite team yet (at least 50 players still being considered, and only 26 can be named on match days). All I'm saying, is they should aim to win it out, and we shouldn't write ourselves off before it starts.

I'm not going to judge the management on this year, we made that mistake before clearly with Fitzgerald. But I do expect one thing: no humiliation like there was last year in Páirc Uí Chaoimh!

I'm sure many of you will have seen the dire financial straights Mayo have found themselves in, but I think their new season ticket offering looks like a good idea.

For €200 they are offering entry to all the National League games, entry to all club games for the season, a ticket for Mayo's first Championship game, and priority tickets for all championship games after that.

Although our financial position is not as dire as theirs, should Waterford perhaps look towards something similar?

The difference between this ticket and the regular season ticket is €125. Although our club championship wouldn't provide enough decent games for most people to get value for money, if an entry into a decent prize draw was included it might be worth people buying?

Preventing a problem is always better than trying to deal with it when it's actually happened.

I would imagine, though, that Timmy and the like are doing their best to get to grips with the situation in difficult circumstances.

Such a ticket i know was looked for in recent years, but dont know how many people would take up the offer. I have heard people say they would pay up to €400 euro for it as they go to games every weekend and would easily spend that money each year. The COunty Board should look into such a ticket.

Sad to hear the news earlier that Sean Ahearne had died. Was aware with a while that he was ill and not able to attend Stradbally's last two games in this years football championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Even moreso as the relative value of the regular season ticket (hurling) has dropped this year. Ive had the season ticket since it started 3 years ago but considering not renewing this year. Same price even though there's 2 less hurling games in the league, plus the price of league entry has dropped the last few years

KevIRL wrote: »
    Even moreso as the relative value of the regular season ticket (hurling) has dropped this year. Ive had the season ticket since it started 3 years ago but considering not renewing this year. Same price even though there's 2 less hurling games in the league, plus the price of league entry has dropped the last few years

Added to this that some of the ticket allocations for this years championship games to season ticket holders were disgracefull and tickets for all games, including AI finals are relatively easily got. I certainly wont be renewing mine.

• Advertisement

New Waterford hurling boss Michael Ryan has greeted the news that Tony Browne is set to commit to the cause for an astonishing 20th year.

The 38-year-old Mount Sion clubman has informed Ryan that he will be available for selection once again in 2012.

"The remarkable Browne is already back in training and is working on his fitness," Ryan told the Irish Examiner.

"Tony is a guy that has really looked after himself over the year and of he course he lives and sleeps hurling. He attended the first players' meeting since I took over, and he is in the gym already sharpening himself up. I really think we are going to hear a lot more about the remarkable Tony Browne."

Ryan dismissed suggestions that Browne - who turns 39 next July - wouldn't be up to the task.

"This is Tony Browne we are talking about, a true hurling genius if ever there was one, and as dedicated to the cause of Waterford hurling as he has ever been."

Preventing a problem is always better than trying to deal with it when it's actually happened.

I would imagine, though, that Timmy and the like are doing their best to get to grips with the situation in difficult circumstances.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is that Timmy and the likes aren't really captains of industry. Look at the team of people Kildare have assembled to help clear their debt - some difference to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnway

Fellow Blas, have a question for you rule wizs out there. I transferred from my original club in waterford around 6 years ago to a club here in Dublin. Now what I want to do is transfer back, for football only, to a club in waterford that plays only football (want to help them win a championship next year). I'm playing hurling at a decent standard here in Dublin, and wish to continue to play hurling here next year. I've also been playing up to senior club level football over last couple of years here with the same club. Do you know if a transfer like that is possible? Cheers in advance...

johnway wrote: »
    Fellow Blas, have a question for you rule wizs out there. I transferred from my original club in waterford around 6 years ago to a club here in Dublin. Now what I want to do is transfer back, for football only, to a club in waterford that plays only football (want to help them win a championship next year). I'm playing hurling at a decent standard here in Dublin, and wish to continue to play hurling here next year. I've also been playing up to senior club level football over last couple of years here with the same club. Do you know if a transfer like that is possible? Cheers in advance...

No. Almost certain this is impossible.

New Waterford hurling boss Michael Ryan has greeted the news that Tony Browne is set to commit to the cause for an astonishing 20th year.

The 38-year-old Mount Sion clubman has informed Ryan that he will be available for selection once again in 2012.

"The remarkable Browne is already back in training and is working on his fitness," Ryan told the Irish Examiner.

"Tony is a guy that has really looked after himself over the year and of he course he lives and sleeps hurling. He attended the first players' meeting since I took over, and he is in the gym already sharpening himself up. I really think we are going to hear a lot more about the remarkable Tony Browne."

Ryan dismissed suggestions that Browne - who turns 39 next July - wouldn't be up to the task.

"This is Tony Browne we are talking about, a true hurling genius if ever there was one, and as dedicated to the cause of Waterford hurling as he has ever been."

Great for Tony but I really feel its time for one of the younger players to step up and claim his position on the team. While Tony is unique, in other counties he'd be gone years ago. Tony is back cos he sees his place on the team is still there simple as and none of the younger players coming through are good enough to to take it. While its great to have him on board for another year, Id rather see us building for the future at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

No its not possible. Know of someone who played for a football only club in Carlow this year and who wanted to hurl with a club in Kilkenny, but when he enquired was told he couldn't. He was only allowed to hurl with a club in Carlow.

Cant happen legally. You cant play for two clubs, unless one was a sole football club, the other a sole hurling Club. Someone playing hurling for Ballygunner for example could play football for The Nire (Fourmilewater is a different Club), Rathgormack (Clonea is a different Club) or Gaultier, even John Mitchells as they dont have a hurling team attached to them. However a fellow playing hurling for Ballygunner could not play football for Stradbally, BAllinacourty, Ardmore, CLashmore etc as they all have hurling teams attached. I doubt it would be allowed for a player to play in two counties anyway, even if there may be some doing so.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Cant happen legally. You cant play for two clubs, unless one was a sole football club, the other a sole hurling Club. Someone playing hurling for Ballygunner for example could play football for The Nire (Fourmilewater is a different Club), Rathgormack (Clonea is a different Club) or Gaultier, even John Mitchells as they dont have a hurling team attached to them. However a fellow playing hurling for Ballygunner could not play football for Stradbally, BAllinacourty, Ardmore, CLashmore etc as they all have hurling teams attached. I doubt it would be allowed for a player to play in two counties anyway, even if there may be some doing so.

There were plenty Kerry lads on the UCC team today that lost the Munster football that were also allowed play in Kerry championship. Some of the Croke lads even played for UCC too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnway

Thanks for the replies lads...it sounds like the rules are a bit grey in this area, who do u think would be the best person to talk to in the county board..its old parish I want to play for ( historic family connection with them). There are all these rules regards transferring back to home club etc etc

deisedude wrote: »
    Black Suir wrote: »

There were plenty Kerry lads on the UCC team today that lost the Munster football that were also allowed play in Kerry championship. Some of the Croke lads even played for UCC too!

deisedude wrote: »

Only while you are a student in the college. They are a special case.

Playing in two different counties, and even two different provinces, never heard of this.

Go to waterfordgaa.ie and grab Timmy O'Keefe's contact details. He is a full time paid county secretary, so he should be well able to help you.

Thanks for the replies lads...it sounds like the rules are a bit grey in this area, who do u think would be the best person to talk to in the county board..its old parish I want to play for ( historic family connection with them). There are all these rules regards transferring back to home club etc etc

Old Parish are a GFC only far as I know, so Id say if ur playing hurling with a club that has no affiliated football team there shouldnt be a problem whether their in different counties or not.
    If you hurl for a dual club however you cant play with Old Parish, that would be my reading on it

Deise managers blamed for club fixture delays

07 December 2011

The secretary of the West Waterford divisional board has taken a swipe at the county's inter-county managers for causing delay to club championship fixtures.

In his report to convention in Dungarvan, Pat Grant blasted: "We had a situation this year that we had to call off an entire weekend of club championship fixtures which ultimately caused serious difficulty in getting our championships finished on time, and in my opinion, we should never let this happen again."

Grant pointed out that former hurling boss Davy Fitzgerald was one of the more co-operative inter-county managers his board dealt with.

"We may have had differing opinions on fixtures, but I have to say that Davy Fitz' was a decent guy to deal with and was a lot easier than some other of our county team managers," added Grant, who questions the wisdom of Waterford's continued involvement in the Munster IHC and JFC competitions.

"In my opinion, entering teams in both of these championships is a waste of finances that we currently don't have, and is serving no purpose other than holding up our own club championships and disrupting or fixtures programme.

"While I appreciate the high personal demands and commitments of all concerned with these inter-county teams, we could well be doing irreparable damage to our clubs, and while there is always tremendous satisfaction when a player is selected to represent his county, his duty to his club should not be diminished as a result."

Total Bolexology IMO. All the main county championships were finished by Early November. Ok one week of football was cancelled but they played it the week after we went out of the All Ireland.

Some people just like giving out about nothing

Deise managers blamed for club fixture delays

07 December 2011

The secretary of the West Waterford divisional board has taken a swipe at the county's inter-county managers for causing delay to club championship fixtures.

In his report to convention in Dungarvan, Pat Grant blasted: "We had a situation this year that we had to call off an entire weekend of club championship fixtures which ultimately caused serious difficulty in getting our championships finished on time, and in my opinion, we should never let this happen again."

Grant pointed out that former hurling boss Davy Fitzgerald was one of the more co-operative inter-county managers his board dealt with.

"We may have had differing opinions on fixtures, but I have to say that Davy Fitz' was a decent guy to deal with and was a lot easier than some other of our county team managers," added Grant, who questions the wisdom of Waterford's continued involvement in the Munster IHC and JFC competitions.

"In my opinion, entering teams in both of these championships is a waste of finances that we currently don't have, and is serving no purpose other than holding up our own club championships and disrupting or fixtures programme.

"While I appreciate the high personal demands and commitments of all concerned with these inter-county teams, we could well be doing irreparable damage to our clubs, and while there is always tremendous satisfaction when a player is selected to represent his county, his duty to his club should not be diminished as a result."

Total Bolexology IMO. All the main county championships were finished by Early November. Ok one week of football was cancelled but they played it the week after we went out of the All Ireland.

Some people just like giving out about nothing

It did lead to a situation where both Stradbally and the Nire/Fourmilewater had to play 6-7 consecutive weeks between hurling and football. Not ideal. And it was very much so avoidable. The game should never have been called off.

However, it would be a total cop out by any member of the the board to suggest that it was the inter-county manager that made this happen, as it was entirely their own decision. That said, I think it's a misleading headline because I don't really see where he says he blames Fitzgerald, in fact he seems to say the opposite.

Apparently the SFC relegation final between St Saviours and Ballinameela is being held tonight in Kilmacthomas.

What was holding this back until a couple of weeks before Christmas. Ballinameela while winning the junior hurling surely had plenty of free weeks earlier in the summer, and do Saviours even have anything other than men's football!?

Total farce, and an insult to the players involved.

Firstly, the football championship group stages finished on 10th of September.

The relegation playoff semi final was held on the 1st of October, but had to go to a replay which was played on the 29th of October.

Between then and now, Ballinameela have been hurling. Dunno why it took so long to play the replay of the relegation semi. To be fair though, given the amount of replays involved and that the group stages were later finishing then normal, it's not really a disgrace or suprise.

• Advertisement

Firstly, the football championship group stages finished on 10th of September.

The relegation playoff semi final was held on the 1st of October, but had to go to a replay which was played on the 29th of October.

Between then and now, Ballinameela have been hurling. Dunno why it took so long to play the replay of the relegation semi. To be fair though, given the amount of replays involved and that the group stages were later finishing then normal, it's not really a disgrace or suprise.

Why did it take until 22nd of October to play a Western Junior final? Why did it take almost 6 months to play the Eastern Junior Hurling competition, in which Butlerstown only played 4 games!?

Ballinameela haven't played football in 13 weeks and are asked to go out an defend their senior status. Saviours have played three games in the 13 weeks. How can lads maintain interest in the sport with this kind of messing?

Why did it take until 22nd of October to play a Western Junior final? Why did it take almost 6 months to play the Eastern Junior Hurling competition, in which Butlerstown only played 4 games!?

Ballinameela haven't played football in 13 weeks and are asked to go out an defend their senior status. Saviours have played three games in the 13 weeks. How can lads maintain interest in the sport with this kind of messing?

Agreed, I felt the full force of the County Boards' lack of interest at junior level, but in my situation, there were no replays, or unavaiable county players, or clubs involved in Munster competition.

It's all part of the greater mess-the way in which club games are organised. There are just too many games, and inter linked games. It's a problem with no easy solution, but a solution needs to be found, because I think with this level of treatment, and the growing financial pressures on players, many will just decide to hang up their boots. Less hassle at a team when none is needed.

Agreed, I felt the full force of the County Boards' lack of interest at junior level, but in my situation, there were no replays, or unavaiable county players, or clubs involved in Munster competition.

It's all part of the greater mess-the way in which club games are organised. There are just too many games, and inter linked games. It's a problem with no easy solution, but a solution needs to be found, because I think with this level of treatment, and the growing financial pressures on players, many will just decide to hang up their boots. Less hassle at a team when none is needed.

I don't think there are enough games. There seems to be a school of thought in the GAA that lads wouldn't want games every week, or that games every week wouldn't be sustainable.

Definitely too much interlinking going on though. In rugby at least, if a lad was playing U20 he normally wouldn't be playing senior. If he was playing senior he wouldn't be playing U20. Similarly, lads can play as far down as Junior 5 or 6 and expect a weekly game for 6 months.

This in the long run is what the GAA is up against. And thats before I've mentioned soccer.

I don't think there are enough games. There seems to be a school of thought in the GAA that lads wouldn't want games every week, or that games every week wouldn't be sustainable.

Definitely too much interlinking going on though. In rugby at least, if a lad was playing U20 he normally wouldn't be playing senior. If he was playing senior he wouldn't be playing U20. Similarly, lads can play as far down as Junior 5 or 6 and expect a weekly game for 6 months.

This in the long run is what the GAA is up against. And thats before I've mentioned soccer.

I know what ya mean, and I'd say you're right on that. In the current system, though, there are too many games.

If they could cut out the interlinking, however, then they could increase it. Probably the approriate course of action but the problem is the manager of a Senior team will always want the best players, even if they are still u21. And also, clubs will always want their best team for meaningful games. Fringe players then often complain about games that nobody cares about i.e. the county league. It's hard to win with it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoring forward

Having gone to a lot of matches this year i wonder who do ye think will get football and hurling players players of the year adult and minor in the county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Agree 100% with this. Butlerstown went 3 and a half months without playing a championship match this summer. No reason why the western junior hurling championship couldn't have been run off quicker. Did the relegation match get played by the way as according to Saviours facebook page it was cancelled on tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ahoy hoy

Agree 100% with this. Butlerstown went 3 and a half months without playing a championship match this summer. No reason why the western junior hurling championship couldn't have been run off quicker. Did the relegation match get played by the way as according to Saviours facebook page it was cancelled on tuesday?

No, from what I know it is being played next Saturday in Carriganore. Which to be honest is a bit of a joke leaving it run this late in the year to play the match.

Might it not have been due to Ballinameela's run in the football, coupled with the fact that they have a few players on the Waterford Senior Football championship?

They probably could have organised it better though, they do seem to be poor at organising matches.

The u21 championship is also problematic.

No no big difference here, you are not comparing like with like, Rugby and Soccer are not covered by a parish rule and as a result generally have a larger pick/pool of players. You are suggesting that players only play their relevant grade or if they are playing an age group above they dont play for their own age group, well this would be the end of the small rural clubs who are already on their knees.

Not aimed at you Hardy but one thing that really annoys me is when people say '' oh but look at the way they do it in Soccer and Rugby'' they are not the same and they have many faults aswell, its like some GAA supporters have an inferiority complex to other sports at times, trust me as a follower of all three sports Rugby and Soccer could learn alot from the GAA and vice versa obviously.

• Advertisement

Having gone to a lot of matches this year i wonder who do ye think will get football and hurling players players of the year adult and minor in the county

John Mullane for Senior intercounty hurling

Stephen Bennet for minor hurling

Only saw one football game but Shane Briggs was impressive from what i saw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement