Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

another goal honn stevie bennet

were 2-5 to 1-7

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Mighty

Up 2-9 to 1-10:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

1-12 to 2-10, gonna be a good last few

• Advertisement

2-11 to 1-12
    ...now 2-11 to 1-13

2-11 to 1-14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Don't know what is happening with us and refs this year. Steven Bennett is being pushed every time the ball comes near him and no free. Blows up for ft as we are on the attack to win. Difficult to understand, a lot of very frustrated fans here. Extra time it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ref blew whistle wit us in scoring opportunity

Et

Great game

Hope we have enuf in d tank now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Waterford goal, that should be that

• Advertisement

HONN THE DEISE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well done to the Minors :D

final score Cork 1-20
    Waterford 3-19,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Excellent news. What a turnaround. Great to see in such a young team, delighted they'll still be playing well into the summer. Hon the Déise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

deiseach wrote: »
    Your knowledge, unsurprisingly, is correct.

Waterford-Minor-results-v-Cork-in-Cork-1928-2012-500x431.jpg

Waterford-Under-21-results-v-Cork-in-Cork-1966-2010-500x298.jpg

(Of course I could be wrong, but I'm always open to correction.)

Fantastic result. Am I right in say (from above posts) that this is the first win against Cork in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Never could have seen that result after an opening 20 mins as poor as any Waterford side has ever produced! Fantastic show of character from the lads when everything seemed to be going Corks way, ably assisted by another abysmal refereeing display. Ref was simply embarrassing but I would rather dwell on some of the superb performances on our team, of which there were many. Shane Bennett MOTM for me though a number of others ran him close. Our subs made a big impact whereas Cork appeared reluctant to use their bench. The sending off was the turning point, while Cork coped well initially we made the extra man count in second period of ET. Great result and well done to all involved. Met Michael Ryan at full time and he commented on the tremendous support at the game, was brilliant to see so many getting behind the lads. Munster final it is and Limerick on their own patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

crazyman wrote: »
    Fantastic result. Am I right in say (from above posts) that this is the first win against Cork in Cork?

You are right. It's only our fifth win ever at Minor level over Cork - although we've won the last two. It's all good! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

****in delighted with that. Watching games by text message is bad for the nerves.

This team seems to be full of scores and Im told created 6 or more goal chances which is a great sign for any team. Coming from 8 down away in Cork is massive for any Waterford side at any age group.

Lads Shane Bennet was immense.

Austin Gleesin made sone serious match winning clearances...

The talent is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to the Minor team tonight.. Great result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Lads dont want get ahead of myself but really beleive this could be our year at minor level. We are as good as any team left in the competition tipp were hot favourites for th AI with galway second ourselves third. But tonites result has blown the whole thing wide open.

The Munster final bears massive significance for the winners. Looking at the draw this year the loser goes into a quarter final with Galway while the winners straight through to the semi finals against the winners of the quarter final between ulster champs and Leinster runners up (more than likely Laois) that would leave you on easier side of the draw for sure

A great opportunity for our lads its going to be a great occasion against Limerick and while theyll have a big home following behind them theres going to be a lot of pressure onthem to perform in front of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

We should have been up at half time, fierce wasteful, but got a fantastic start to the second half.
    Lads Austin Gleeson and Shane Bennett what can I say they were just awesome. In extra time Waterford lads were dropping like flies with cramp and Shane Bennett was getting stronger, he was strong in the air, tenacious, first to the ball, gave good ball into the forwards, really he will be a star, what can you say I won't be able to sleep a wink after that!
    Our best days are yet to come and they may not be far off

robopaddy wrote: »
    Lads dont want get ahead of myself but really beleive this could be our year at minor level. We are as good as any team left in the competition tipp were hot favourites for th AI with galway second ourselves third. But tonites result has blown the whole thing wide open.

The Munster final bears massive significance for the winners. Looking at the draw this year the loser goes into a quarter final with Galway while the winners straight through to the semi finals against the winners of the quarter final between ulster champs and Leinster runners up (more than likely Laois) that would leave you on easier side of the draw for sure

A great opportunity for our lads its going to be a great occasion against Limerick and while theyll have a big home following behind them theres going to be a lot of pressure onthem to perform in front of it

Wouldn't be jumping the gun just yet. This is a very talented team but a Munster title in itself won't be easy won and would be a great achievement. This Limerick side supposedly were very good at u17 level last year and the team for next year even better so they will be tough opposition.

Also, Laois beat Wexford who beat Kilkenny and I think they've every chance of beating Kilkenny in the Leinster Final. I think the reality of it is is that if you win the Munster final you are on the easier side of the draw anyway as you avoid the Leinster champions.

They certainly have the talent to win an all-ireland, haven't seen most of the other teams but it would be a fined team that could match the starting team and what we've got in reserve. There's more to winning all-irelands than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

They were very nervous for the first 20 mins, 1.7 to 1 point down says it all. From now on the occassion gets bigger whether its munster final or croke park. If they let nerves get the better of them again then they may not get the chance to make amends. Remember 2011 in Thurles against Clare and Croke Park against Dublin where they froze in the first half. It could happen again, if the management are nervous then it will feed into the team. Great result tonite, try and kick on from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Woke up and got the second half of ET on WLR, absolutely fcuking delighted with that win! The lads did brilliant to come back from a poor start and seems like they created plenty of scoring chances.
    Munster final to look foward to now, doesn't get much harder having Limerick in their own backyard in what will be a sell out in front of their own fans but as robopaddy said, there's huge incentive to win with a clear path through to an AI final. Not looking past Limerick for a second though but it's great to know we have at least 2 more games and the lads will be hurling into the summer.
    Well done lads, fantastic stuff! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just catching up on the thread. An amazing turnaround for sure. Delighted for the young lads and hopefully they can push on from here. Great to see that level of talent underage - bodes well for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irelandguy10

So the minors win tonight fantastic win and going to a munster final is terrific, so what do ye guys think of the future aussie gleeson is a star in the making

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

If ever there was a game of two halves I witnessed one tonight. Waterford were absolutely shocking in the first half, wasting four clear chances for points instead going for goals and all the talk around me was if only. I thought it was going to be a long spin home at half time but whatever was said in the dressing room the turnaround in the second half was like fifeteen different players took to the field.
    This game should have been over at full time as Waterford were denied a perfectly good goal only for the Ref to call it back for a penalty blowing the whistle when the ball hit the back of the net. Well that pentaly worked in Corks favour as it was cleared of the line and it looked like they were getting all the luck with every call. I even witnessed a Cork sideline missed hit allowed to be taken again. But fair play to these bunch of lads they are a different breed of hurler to anything I have ever seen come out of Waterford before. They should look forward with great confidence now after beating what was a very good Cork Minor side for the very first time on Cork soil. I don't want to say to much about the Ref but outside the toilets at full time a Cork man said to me the Ref is doing you no favours. I don't care now because this was a great win and hopefully there will be more of the same of what we saw in the second half, please not the first half stick them over the bar lads, goals will come when defences get jittery. The Cork half back line were brilliant and their Goalie had some puck out. Every player for Waterford done very well including the subs who were introduced. It was a great game and I was very glad that I traveled down to see it even taking in the horror show in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

brilliant comeback and win. to go up to the lion's den in Cork and overturn a 9 point first half deficit is mighty stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I think we should relax a bit now, it was a very good win with some serious performences all over the field,it also showed that there is a panel of at least 20/21 there capable of playing and excelling at this level.
    What we will do now in waterford[and i am not telling anyone not to enjoy the win, i was as thrilled and as delighted as anyone last night when dj foran scored that goal which gave us a bit of breathing space], but talk of rushing players onto the senior panel, which i've heard twice this morning, and how we,re going to win the all ireland ect, are only hyping up and putting immence pressure on very young hurlers, who are still minor and as we saw in the first 15 minlast night still have a bit to do, wonderfull win, wonderfull tenacity, wonderfull maturity, but go easy now waterford or we,ll have the all ireland won and nothing done yet.

Just on the ref have been on the Cork forum there and it seems they have many many grievances aswell some feel that second yellow was extremely harsh and that Austin Gleeson fouled the ball before Waterford third goal which wasn't spotted amongst other things.]

Wsnt at the game anyone shed any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Can we stop complaining about referees albeit they maybe poor the majority of times they are poor on both sides but constantly all season we've blamed refs for everything.. Just makes us look like a pack of whingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Is the Munster Minor final likely to be televised before the Limerick-Cork game? Can't remember whether I've ever seen a minor provincial final on TV.

Look I believe that the ref made some poor decisions on both side, we had a blatent goal pulled up for no advantage in the first 10 minutes... we where 9 points behind at one stage and we dealt with it and came out on top, Cork didn't deal with us in the second half and even started more positive in extra time and just could not shake us even with all the pulling they where doing on Stephen Bennet this is why they lost.... A draw was the fairest result last night, it was a shame cork had to exit after extra time, they have some fine hurlers, I noticed some of them breaking out of half back and scoring from long distances,which is immense for young fellas..

I would have liked a replay at FT because if we played like that in front of 4k people next week in Walsh Park the atmosphere would have been electric. There was a very good crowd from Waterford last night and Pairc Ui Rinn was in fabulous condition..

On the yellow card, it was very harsh, the Cork players elbow hit the waterford players but I don't believe of any intent... Am I correct that in the event of extra time yellows don't carry from the 60minute game? As some Cork fans where saying they thought the slate should have been wiped going into ET... Im not sure, some of ye might know

Dzila :)

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Is the Munster Minor final likely to be televised before the Limerick-Cork game? Can't remember whether I've ever seen a minor provincial final on TV.

I don't believe so, in recent years the Gaa have been televising the AI semis up but Im not sure about the munster final

dzilla wrote: »
    A draw was the fairest result last night, it was a shame cork had to exit after extra time, they have some fine hurlers, I noticed some of them breaking out of half back and scoring from long distances,which is immense for young fellas..

You're very generous, fair play to ye. But I'm long enough in the tooth to say to Cork:

dance-on-your-grave-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I don't believe so, in recent years the Gaa have been televising the AI semis up but Im not sure about the munster final

Yeah only the AI semis and final in both hurling and football they show as Gaeilge. It'll at least be live on WLR.

fricatus wrote: »

No it wont. Jaysus they scacely show some of the the big senior matches this year not to mind minor!!!

Am I right in thinking TV3 have rights to the Minor AI semi finals and finals? They had the last couple of years anyway. Its a pity because I used to love your man that used commentate the minor on RTE As Gealige was it Micheal O'Se was his name?

TG4 will have highlights of all minor games anyway on gaa beo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Also, Laois beat Wexford who beat Kilkenny and I think they've every chance of beating Kilkenny in the Leinster Final. I think the reality of it is is that if you win the Munster final you are on the easier side of the draw anyway as you avoid the Leinster champions.

I think Wexford really took their eye off the ball against Laois, I know Laois also beat Offaly but the line of form (As always form lines is in Minor is hard to follow). Dont forget Kilkenny also beat Laois by 17 pts in round 1 of Leinster.

It's wide open with Waterford,Limerick,Galway and Kilkenny all fancying their chances.

• Advertisement

It's wide open with Waterford,Limerick,Galway and Kilkenny all fancying their chances.

I'd say Limerick will take some beating. They didn't get any warmup games or second chances yet beat a Tipp team who looked pretty darn good against us. Having won the Under-21 Munster title last year, things are looking up for them. Dammit, why are we only ever good when everyone else is too?!

robopaddy wrote: »
    No it wont. Jaysus they scacely show some of the the big senior matches this year not to mind minor!!!

Am I right in thinking TV3 have rights to the Minor AI semi finals and finals? They had the last couple of years anyway. Its a pity because I used to love your man that used commentate the minor on RTE As Gealige was it Micheal O'Se was his name?

TG4 will have highlights of all minor games anyway on gaa beo

I think RTE still show the Minor All-ireland semis.

And I also believe that on 3e you can watch the Minor All-ireland final with Irish commentary.

But we've not made either of those yet! A warning to those looking at bookies odds, Tipp were favourites for the all-ireland before last night.

But we've not made either of those yet! A warning to those looking at bookies odds, Tipp were favourites for the all-ireland before last night.

I've just looked at those odds, despite beating Tipp Limerick are 4/1! Someone in Waterford must have bunged 10k on us.

I think the win last night away from home getting rid of the hoodoo of not beating cork in minor in so long will do wonders mentally for the young lads in the build up to playing limerick in their own ground in front of what id imagine a huge limerick crowd hopefully we can upset the lot of them on their big day out

I think the win last night away from home getting rid of the hoodoo of not beating cork in minor in so long will do wonders mentally for the young lads in the build up to playing limerick in their own ground in front of what id imagine a huge limerick crowd hopefully we can upset the lot of them on their big day out

We beat Tipp in Thurles in the 2009 Minor final. Sure, there were Waterford fans there that day for the Senior final but surely we can rely on Cork fans to give us a dig out seeing as they're playing Limerick as well?

*looks back up thread*

Oh. Bugger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

I really enjoyed that game last night, my take on it

I headed into the minor game last night in Pairc Ui Rinn, first off the pitch there was immaculate and it was a beautiful night for it, there was a very slight breeze but nothing that would affect the game, as we walked into the main stand it was like spot the Cork fan, there was a massive Waterford crowd in the attendance of over 3000 people.
    Waterford elected to play with the breeze in the first half, and as the teams lined up I was alerted to the placing of the Cork midfielder (No. 8 Michael Cahalane, I think we will be hearing about him again), in the right corner forward position by some Cork fans sitting directly behind us, so even as the teams lined out this player emphasised above all the rest the difference in size and physique of the some of the Cork players compared to their Waterford rivals, he looked like a senior playing minor. The ball was thrown in, it was played instantly into the aforementioned Cahalane, he collected, streaked past the Waterford defence and goaled, the exclamation mark to this act was the Cork fans again proclaim his brilliance, it was an act that was repeated a few more times in the first half but thankfully he decided to settle for the point, Waterford switched the full back out on him but they also stopped the flow in, which is what really curtailed him. After 20 minutes Cork lead 1-7 to 0-1, but it was the strangest game I was ever at, Waterford defended the goal to my left, Cork the goal to my right, for much of the half I was looking into the Cork half of the field as that is where the action was, it would be interrupted by a brief Cork excursion up the field that would lead to a score. It was a pattern that was causing my head some discomfort and I didn’t like how this was going, many a Waterford underage team, with talented players, had been down this road up in Cork and wilted. Waterford with all their possession were so wasteful it was untrue, they inside line seemed to be obsessed with goals, they would work a situation so that an easy point would be on, but instead try that one last pass to work a goal, It would break down and Cork would clear, they also missed six easy points, Cathal Gleeson after brilliant work, missed three certain points.
    The feeling was that Waterford, against the wind were throwing this away, the Cork full back line were actually in big trouble and Waterford’s marquee forward Patrick Curran was coming in for very close attention off the ball by a very tight corner back, it was around this time that a high ball into the Cork square was touched down to himself by Stephen Bennett and doubled on, but as it ratted the net the Referee called it back for a penalty, a penalty was subsequently saved. Things couldn’t get worse, but in the scramble the sticky Cork corner back pulled his hamstring and had to go off injured, Stephen Bennett also missed three easy chances for points, he didn’t look himself and looked short of confidence, running away from goal instead of taking on his man and dropping shots into the goalie. In this period when Waterford were on the rack one player started to emerge and that was centre back Austin Gleeson, in fact Cork were finding it difficult to by-pass him and find there danger man in the full forward line, We tacked on the last three points of the half to leave it at 1-7 to 0-4 and even though we were facing into the slight breeze we felt optimistic, we were actually starting to dominate exchanges.
    It was in the second half that this Waterford really started to introduce themselves, with too many instances to go into detail, but minutes after the resumption we had 2-01 on the board to bring the sides level, with Patrick Curran and Stephen Bennett living up to their names, taking on their men and causing havoc, it was now resulting in goals. Although they are both small players they were exceptionally strong in the air, very quick, and had an eye for a score. Curran is as cute as a fox already, can win any type of ball that comes in to him, uses his body to great effect to edge defenders out of the way and has an effortless strike over the bar. In fact ever time the ball went into his corner, even when the corner back was clearly favoured to win it, you were confident the Curran would just flick it off him, which invariably happened. I think you could sum him up accurately by saying he is a fast, skilful, brave, intelligent corner forward, who works very hard and can win any ball you send into him and can score from anywhere under pressure, oh and as well as that he is a nerveless free taker? That pretty much ticks all the boxes right?
    The Cork full back line was being ate alive at this stage and the platform for Waterford was the half back line, firstly it was the performance of young Shane Bennett, younger brother of Stephen who again was yielding bulk and size and presumably age to his direct opponent, but what he lacked in inches in made up for in tenacity, speed and skill. He was out in front for every ball, he won it in the air, he came out of rucks, he sidestepped oncoming challenges and sent perfect ball into the full forward line time and again, for a player of his age to dominate to that level in an intercounty minor game really was a sight to behold, remember the name he is a star. Inside him was centre back Austin Gleeson and I am at odds to decide if it was Gleeson or Shane Bennett was the best player on the field, I suppose a mitigating factor is taking into account Shane Bennetts apparent disadvantages, but definitely the most spectacular player on the field was Gleeson, a tall player with a physique similar to Daragh Fives, when Waterford were going bad he was very good and when Waterford began to dominate the only word for this guy is ridiculous, almost everything he did was ridiculous and he caught every single ball that came near him, danced out of defence and drove the ball 100 yards up the field. I am talking Ken McGrath sh!t here like, in fact his performance was reminiscent of Ken McGraths first outing at Centre Back for Waterford against Clare (the game Dan scored 3 goals), he was utterly, utterly dominant, as well as having a brilliant hand his touch and striking where a pleasure to behold, the ball was controlled and his hand faster than any other player on the field seemed capable of, in fact faster than most inter county players seem capable of, time after time he left the more physically intimidating Cork attackers in his wake as they ferociously attempted to chase him down, he breezed past them or sold them a deadly side step and seemed oblivious to their efforts, another ball was driven down the field.
    Special mention also goes to DJ Foran who came on as a sub in the second half and sent the Cork half back line going the other way as he won primary possession in the air and drove forward time and again. Waterford were clearly the better side but Cork hung on in there, and with time almost up and the sides level the ref blew up early as Waterford were in an attacking position to send the game into extra time. Some boo’s reigned around the ground but I was happy enough, another 20 minutes of this please! On the resumption it was nip and tuck for a while and a Cork half back was given a second yellow for a high tackle on Patrick Curran, It was a harsh enough call because Curran is a small player and ducked into the tackle, but it looked alot worse than it was and you will always get a booking for it. Cork upped their game after this but the sides still went in level at half time of extra time if memory serves me correctly.
    The second half of extra time was a real worry as Waterford players were dropping like flies with cramp, with sometimes multiple players down at the same time, for which the ref allowed no stoppage and the game went on around them. Austin Gleeson was still prominent the second half of extra time belonged to Shane Bennett, as everyone else got weaker he got stronger and I was tempted to pass Pairc Ui Rinn on the way to work this morning in the expectation that he would still be out there on the field harassing somebody and striking ball!
    With the teams level there was an unreal passage of play in front of the Cork goal, with the keeper off his line and the defence stretched it felt like 3-4 Waterford forwards had a chance at goal before DJ Foran eventually found the net, Waterford were 3 up but Cork fought back and with a minute to go Waterford lead by the dreaded scoreline of two points. In this time Cork hit the side netting and I was literarily shaking. But Waterford steadied the ship by adding 3 points, the last to the deserving Cathal Gleeson who after creating so many chances only to fail at the last, but he kept going until the end, I was delighted for him. A ridiculous game had a ridiculous end as Shane Bennett ran the length of the field, weaving in and out between desperate Cork players flicking the ball over heads and going this way and that for what seemed like over a minute before collapsing in a heap. But no matter the game was over. Our first victory over Cork on their soil ever at minor grade and you know, isn’t it great being from Waterford? They may have beaten us over fifty times, but never has one of their victories felt as good for them as it did for us last night!

noiniho wrote: »
    Our first victory over Cork on their soil ever at minor grade and you know, isn’t it great being from Waterford? They may have beaten us over fifty times, but never has one of their victories felt as good for them as it did for us last night!

Hold on a sec I've got something in my eye NO I AM NOT CRYING!! Marvellous post.

deiseach wrote: »
    We beat Tipp in Thurles in the 2009 Minor final. Sure, there were Waterford fans there that day for the Senior final but surely we can rely on Cork fans to give us a dig out seeing as they're playing Limerick as well?

*looks back up thread*

Oh. Bugger.

Im well aware of our previous victory in 09 @ the 125 gaa celebrations. This is a different team however, also I imagine the Limerick crowd will be quite loud obviously in supporting their own minors(similiar to cork last night) because limerick don't get many big days out so last night will stand to em

Im well aware of our previous victory in 09 @ the 125 gaa celebrations. This is a different team however, also I imagine the Limerick crowd will be quite loud obviously in supporting their own minors(similiar to cork last night) because limerick don't get many big days out so last night will stand to em

Aye, it is going to be hard(er). Just checked it out and Limerick haven't won the Munster title since 1984 (seem to recall they won the All-Ireland after a replay that year too) so they won't be blasé about this - by which mean their supporters, Cork or Tipp fans might only bother turning up for the Senior game, Limerick fans will be there from throw-in for the Minor game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

What age is Shane Bennett. Ballysaggart should be hard to beat in the junior championship this year with 3 Bennetts on the team. Wonder what odds they are to win it with the bookies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement