Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Players who made their Senior championship debut under Michael Ryan:

Stephen O Keeffe
    Stephen Daniels
    Philip Mahony
    Shane Fives
    Gavin O Brien
    Martin O Neill
    Paudie Prendergast
    Jamie Barron
    Jake Dillon
    Ray Barry
    Eddie Barrett
    Dean Twomey

Total=12 players, 7 games

Players who made their Senior championship debut under Davy "I played 40 players in the league" Fitzgerald:

Jamie Nagle
    Noel Connors
    Richie Foley
    Gary Hurney
    Maurice Shanahan
    Shane Casey
    Liam Lawlor
    Brian O Halloran
    Darragh Fives
    Paudi Mahony
    Thomas Ryan
    David O'Sullivan
    Jerome Meagher
    Brian O'Sullivan

Total=14 players in 18 games

Yeah sure, no players have been blooded. And sure isn't it only right to expect 19 year olds to automatically burst on to the scene as superstars, when they're miles behind physically in development to lads who've been their for years! Crazy stuff

Am open to corrections on the list of players though I know I'm not far wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Stephen O Keeffe
    Stephen Daniels
    Philip Mahony
    Shane Fives
    Gavin O Brien
    Martin O Neill
    Paudie Prendergast
    Jamie Barron
    Jake Dillon
    Ray Barry
    Eddie Barrett
    Dean Twomey

Players who made their Senior championship debut under Davy "I played 40 players in the league" Fitzgerald:

Jamie Nagle
    Noel Connors
    Richie Foley
    Gary Hurney
    Maurice Shanahan
    Shane Casey
    Liam Lawlor
    Brian O Halloran
    Darragh Fives
    Paudi Mahony

Total=10 players in 18 games

Yeah sure, no players have been blooded. And sure isn't it only right to expect 19 year olds to automatically burst on to the scene as superstars, when they're miles behind physically in development to lads who've been their for years! Crazy stuff

David O'Sullivan and Thomas Ryan?

deise_girl wrote: »
    David O'Sullivan and Thomas Ryan?

That's two, 12 all so. My point was just that a lot is made of Davy blooding players when he came in, but in close to three times as many games he has only the same amount of debuts given and much like Michael Ryan he had no choice, it's not like he instigated the conveyor belt of underage talent coming through. Also, worth noting the drop out rate too. David O'Sullivan seems to be gone more from commitment that lack of talent but I don't think Tommy Ryan improved under Davy and in the end it's told against him.

Daniels, Shane Fives, Paudie Prender have all been given their chance now. I wonder if we had a different setup a few years earlier would the likes of Shane Casey and Tommy Connors be on the Waterford team (on merit)?

Jerome Meagher and Brian Sully are two more I forgot there actually, so that's 14-12...until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

That's two, 12 all so. My point was just that a lot is made of Davy blooding players when he came in, but in close to three times as many games he has only the same amount of debuts given and much like Michael Ryan he had no choice, it's not like he instigated the conveyor belt of underage talent coming through. Also, worth noting the drop out rate too. David O'Sullivan seems to be gone more from commitment that lack of talent but I don't think Tommy Ryan improved under Davy and in the end it's told against him.

Daniels, Shane Fives, Paudie Prender have all been given their chance now. I wonder if we had a different setup a few years earlier would the likes of Shane Casey and Tommy Connors be on the Waterford team (on merit)?

Jerome Meagher and Brian Sully are two more I forgot there actually, so that's 14-12...until next year.

I think Eamon Murphy came on as a sub against Tipp in 2011 in thurles. The game played under lights and we had 2 sent off. I could be wrong about that though

carter10 wrote: »
    I think Eamon Murphy came on as a sub against Tipp in 2011 in thurles. The game played under lights and we had 2 sent off. I could be wrong about that though

He did play a couple of league games, but I mean championship. Several of the players Michael Ryan has given a debut too had been on the panel before he came on.

I remember the game your on about, Shane Sully got sent off for a late bat on someboyds back and Clinton was sent off for a flying clothesline on Bonner Maher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Stephen O Keeffe
    Stephen Daniels
    Philip Mahony
    Shane Fives
    Gavin O Brien
    Martin O Neill
    Paudie Prendergast
    Jamie Barron
    Jake Dillon
    Ray Barry
    Eddie Barrett
    Dean Twomey

Jamie Nagle
    Noel Connors
    Richie Foley
    Gary Hurney
    Maurice Shanahan
    Shane Casey
    Liam Lawlor
    Briasn O Halloran
    Darragh Fives
    Paudi Mahony
    Thomas Ryan
    David O'Sullivan
    Jerome Meagher
    Brian O'Sullivan

Total=14 players in 18 games

To be fair to davy fitz u cant really compare like with like as davy gave a lot of young players a chance when some of the old guard from the team that justin built were still around. He was faced with some great players like shanahan ken flynn eoin murphy and kelly passing their sell by date and he had the task of blooding young players while atill trying to get what was left out of these lads. Ryan simply had to give youth a chance because he had no other choice anyway as the vast majority of the team that jutin and gerald built retired under davy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anybody having issues with the GAA just play app. No longer working on my Samsung tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Anyone have an opinion on how the minors will do next Sunday. Unbelievable how they missed out on a Munster title. I would love to see them reach their full potential as they are a really tallented team all over but for some reason its not coming to the fore this year. I really expected great things for this team early on in the season. There's still a chance so lets hope past mistakes can be rectified and at the least make an appearance in the All Ireland. Best of luck to them its going to be a big day for them. Make it count lads.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on how the minors will do next Sunday. Unbelievable how they missed out on a Munster title. I would love to see them reach their full potential as they are a really tallented team all over but for some reason its not coming to the fore this year. I really expected great things for this team early on in the season. There's still a chance so lets hope past mistakes can be rectified and at the least make an appearance in the All Ireland. Best of luck to them its going to be a big day for them. Make it count lads.

If they hurl for 60 mins theyll take beatinh. Unfortunately thry haven't been able to do that this year. Not a vintage kk team by any stretch but like all kk teams will be well drilled well organised and will need to be at our best to best them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Semi finals at minor level are notoriously unpredictable as you just don't know how some lads will react to the big day and in many cases their first time being on live tv. Hopefully playing in front of the large crowd in Limerick will have stood to the lads for this one.

In terms of ability I think this is one of the best minor panels we have had but for whatever reason it hasn't quite turned out as we might have hoped. However they now have a chance to put it right with the prospect of a potential final against Limerick.

I haven't seen this KK minor team play. I can only go on what I have heard from people in KK which is that it isn't the best minor panel they've produced and is more workmanlike rather than a team of potential stars. But at the end of the day that won't count for much, it's KK, their tradition is clear and their fans will be expecting a win regardless of who they are playing.

Am reasonably optimistic and looking forward to heading up, hopefully weather will hold as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

tickets available online dont seem to be great for next sunday. Theres only section 336 of the hogan lower available at the moment.

Probly best to buy them up there because they mite open the top tiers

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Maybe the reason they haven't been performing for the full 60 mins against tipp, cork and limerick could be to do with having the best 15 playing in their best positions. I hate to be critical as they're doing their best however I think from what i've seen so far I would have Mickey Kearney in at coner forward instead of midfield where he is more effective on the score sheet. I'd put Mark O'Brien midfield as he is more a ball winner and supply's better ball to the forwards. I'd have both dj foran and cormac curren in the half forward line rather than one of them on the bench. Both are very good at winning ball in the air and driving forward. I think the team named the last day was near the best so far with maybe colm roche to fill the other half forward position if fit.

I remember the last time our minor team played in croke park was 2011 and the game was over at half time. Nerves took over just like the first 20 mins against cork this year. I hope this doesen't repeat itself given the big environs they'll be playing in. It's up to management not to be nervous themselves which reflects on the team. Tradition does have a large part to play when counties regurarly reach all ireland semi's and final's at underage. KK and teams like them are expected to win and to play their best hurling all year when they reach this stage of the competition. For other counties like ourselves we would be hopeful of winning but possibly not the same level of confidence and that's when nerves kick in. I hope they start well and the best team is named similar to the last day against antrim and after that at least they'll be in with shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

doz wrote: »
    Semi finals at minor level are notoriously unpredictable as you just don't know how some lads will react to the big day and in many cases their first time being on live tv. Hopefully playing in front of the large crowd in Limerick will have stood to the lads for this one.

In terms of ability I think this is one of the best minor panels we have had but for whatever reason it hasn't quite turned out as we might have hoped. However they now have a chance to put it right with the prospect of a potential final against Limerick.

I haven't seen this KK minor team play. I can only go on what I have heard from people in KK which is that it isn't the best minor panel they've produced and is more workmanlike rather than a team of potential stars. But at the end of the day that won't count for much, it's KK, their tradition is clear and their fans will be expecting a win regardless of who they are playing.

Am reasonably optimistic and looking forward to heading up, hopefully weather will hold as well.
    is it live on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    is it live on tv?

Yep Sunday Game live

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    is it live on tv?

The minor semi finals are always traditionally shown as Gaeilge on RTE and this was confirmed after the Dublin v Cork football match last Saturday night.

Best of luck to the minors this sunday. Weve been to this stage twice in the past 4 years but now is the time to win one.. Were definetly capable of winning lets just hope the lads can do the business.

God knows the county needs a break this year

I got 3 tickets for the upper cusack stand for sunday. is there anyway of getting a rebate if i have a student card

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I got 3 tickets for the upper cusack stand for sunday. is there anyway of getting a rebate if i have a student card

Yep, I think it's stile D or something in the Cusack stand. All concessions are got through the Cusack, there'll be officials there to help on the day.

Tickets bought for the hill to roar on the lads! Can't wait!!!

• Advertisement

Yep, I think it's stile D or something in the Cusack stand. All concessions are got through the Cusack, there'll be officials there to help on the day.

How comes its only the cusack stand you get concessions. Is it something to do with the Tv angle

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How comes its only the cusack stand you get concessions. Is it something to do with the Tv angle

Not sure exactly why but the Cusack is accessible from all other points in the stadium, so I think you can (have to even) enter at a different point of the stadium and walk around. I dunno is there concessions for the hill, I dont think there is. I've only ever been to the hill, canal end and cusack stand and the canal and cusack enter the same road from what I remember so it's grand getting the concession there.

Got my tickets today, centre field, five rows from front in the Lower Cusack, should be perfect if weather holds.

There are no concessions for Hill or Nally to the best of my knowledge, latter probably won't be open Sun in any event.

I thought there was a separate concession stile for the Davin and the Hogan but I could be wrong.

will we being hearing this if we win on sunday in Croke Park.

Remember 2008's win over tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Tickets got for Sunday. Hopefully they play more like the drawn game vs Limerick, but without the gloryhunting looking for goals when they should have kept the scoreboard ticking over.

Out of curiosity, what will they play for us if we ever win a senior All Ireland? I've been in Croke Park on All ireland day a few times and they usually play the county song of the winners, it better not be Dont Stop Beliveing!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Ropaire wrote: »

Out of curiosity, what will they play for us if we ever win a senior All Ireland? I've been in Croke Park on All ireland day a few times and they usually play the county song of the winners, it better not be Dont Stop Beliveing!

They better play this as I'm sick of hearing it every time we lose..

• Advertisement

Funfair wrote: »
    They better play this as I'm sick of hearing it every time we lose..

I think i read they stopped playing that in Croke Park. I'm open to correction though

Minor team has been announced, we've reverted to the same side that played in the drawn Munster final bar Mark O'Brien coming in for Conor Gleeson. Tom Devine is named at number 9 with Micheál Harney at no 5. Hard to know whether those two will actually line out in those positions though there's no doubt Tom could do a job there.

Can't wait for the game, really hope the lads can do themselves justice as I firmly believe we have as good as what's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DeiseX

doz wrote: »
    Minor team has been announced, we've reverted to the same side that played in the drawn Munster final bar Mark O'Brien coming in for Conor Gleeson. Tom Devine is named at number 9 with Micheál Harney at no 5. Hard to know whether those two will actually line out in those positions though there's no doubt Tom could do a job there.

Can't wait for the game, really hope the lads can do themselves justice as I firmly believe we have as good as what's out there.

Mark O' Brien has been positioned at midfield any game he has started this year. I think Sam O' Neill is unlucky to lose out after showing well at wing-back against Antrim, particularly good at fielding high-ball.

Should be a cracking game, lets hope this talented team are hurling into September. Can't wait for it! Come on the Déise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Anyone going up on the Hill? A part of me wants to experience it when its full of rowdy Dubs while another part of me can't be bothered with that oul nonsense.

deiseach wrote: »
    Anyone going up on the Hill? A part of me wants to experience it when its full of rowdy Dubs while another part of me can't be bothered with that oul nonsense.

dont do it to yourself!!
    Ive been going to league games in Parnell Park with years and even up until about 4/5 years ago waterford fans always outnumbered Dublin supporters in Parnell Park. Now their expected to 'fill the hill' on Sunday and theyre all experts on the game all of a sudden.

Interesting to note on the Kilkenny minor team on Sunday theres no shortage of bloodline in the defence with a Tyrrell in the full back line and a Joyce in the half back line. The Murphy in the full forward line is a brother of the KK Senior Goalie and theres also a Cody at fullback but hes a different club to the man himself no not sure if hes a relation. But still the apple dosent fall too far and all that....

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »

I'll be there with my Cork girlfriend and her family. Please light a candle and say a prayer for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deisedude wrote: »
    I'll be there with my Cork girlfriend and her family. Please light a candle and say a prayer for me! :D

I think you should enjoy it. In my experience, Dubs fans are normally good banter. There are fools in every county, because they bring so many fans they also bring more bad fans with them.

Dubs hurling fans are normally sounder than the football also, as the football tends to attract more of a bandwagon/soccer support for the big games over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Best of luck to the Minor Team for Sunday, don't know what to expect just hope they don't freeze. I find it very funny as soon as a team start doing well their supporters are accussed of coming out of the woodwork. Before '98 Waterford had a small following. If the profile of the game is to increase where are the supporters going to come from. If its only in GAA circles don't it expect to increase by much. All are welcome as far as I'm concerned even those heathen soccor supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Best of luck to the Minor Team for Sunday, don't know what to expect just hope they don't freeze. I find it very funny as soon as a team start doing well their supporters are accussed of coming out of the woodwork. Before '98 Waterford had a small following. If the profile of the game is to increase where are the supporters going to come from. If its only in GAA circles don't it expect to increase by much. All are welcome as far as I'm concerned even those heathen soccor supporters.

Not wanting to open up a can or worms, but there is a sizeable portion of people who are Waterford county team hurling fans and that's it. A lot of them have no involvement with the game bar a couple of trips to Thurles/Croker every year.

In almost every other county, fans who support the county team are also involved in their clubs, and will also take a keen interest in the GAA as a whole outside of their county. You don't really see that as much in Waterford, and that probably stems from the lack of tradition within the county which you've mentioned.

Having said that, I think Waterford supporters have a pretty good reputation around the country, and are seen to support their team very well.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Not wanting to open up a can or worms, but there is a sizeable portion of people who are Waterford county team hurling fans and that's it. A lot of them have no involvement with the game bar a couple of trips to Thurles/Croker every year.

In almost every other county, fans who support the county team are also involved in their clubs, and will also take a keen interest in the GAA as a whole outside of their county. You don't really see that as much in Waterford, and that probably stems from the lack of tradition within the county which you've mentioned.

Having said that, I think Waterford supporters have a pretty good reputation around the country, and are seen to support their team very well.

You're from the City, Hardy, I believe?

I think it's more likely to be a City thing, and I don't mean that in a bad way there's a pretty logicial explanation for it.

The club is the center of the community in small parishes, they are often the big entity that organize activities and bring people together. I'd say that culture is quite different in a built up urban area where you don't know all your neighbours. People in rural parishes often know everybody within a 5 mile radius!!

You've a lot more going on in Cities but from a social perspective the GAA clubs play a huge role for people living out in the Country.

Question, does anyone know if Waterford have any full time Coaching/Games or Development Officers, or anything of the sort.

And if so how many?

You're from the City, Hardy, I believe?

I think it's more likely to be a City thing, and I don't mean that in a bad way there's a pretty logicial explanation for it.

The club is the center of the community in small parishes, they are often the big entity that organize activities and bring people together. I'd say that culture is quite different in a built up urban area where you don't know all your neighbours. People in rural parishes often know everybody within a 5 mile radius!!

You've a lot more going on in Cities but from a social perspective the GAA clubs play a huge role for people living out in the Country.

Im from the country and I know a good lot of people from my parish and other parishes that never support or doing anything for the local club but are always there decked out in the white and blue on the big intercounty match days. Your always going to have that element in every county.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Im from the country and I know a good lot of people from my parish and other parishes that never support or doing anything for the local club but are always there decked out in the white and blue on the big intercounty match days. Your always going to have that element in every county.

Would you say there are more that support the County over the club rather than those that do both in your community though?

I wouldn't argue it doesn't exist at all, just would think it is more of a town/city thing.

Would you say there are more that support the County over the club rather than those that do both in your community though?

I wouldn't argue it doesn't exist at all, just would think it is more of a town/city thing.

Probably not, but then you have people involved or play with the club just to be involved in something but couldnt give 2 hoots about the county and wouldnt cross the road to see them play until it gets to AI Semi final or Final stages. You cant really say they are anymore deserving of a ticket than those people who have been supporting all through the championship but not involved or dont suport their local club

Probably not, but then you have people involved or play with the club just to be involved in something but couldnt give 2 hoots about the county and wouldnt cross the road to see them play until it gets to AI Semi final or Final stages. You cant really say they are anymore deserving of a ticket than those people who have been supporting all through the championship but not involved or dont suport their local club

I wouldn't argue it either way to be honest. Never really understood the people claiming they deserve a ticket for an all-ireland final. If you want one badly enough you'll buy a season ticket or ensure you know someone, or are well in with a club and that you get in early.

• Advertisement

Question, does anyone know if Waterford have any full time Coaching/Games or Development Officers, or anything of the sort.

And if so how many?

Yes we have at least 3 I know of or should I say I knew of as they could have moved on but up to 2011 we had John Quinn for the East and Eoin Breathnach doing the West and Dave Robinson doing mid- County.

They basically go into the schools to train the kids or set it up for the local clubs to go in if possible. They also run tournaments during the season and off season or if a club wanted training in a specific drill they will go to the club and give the coaches a hand in doing the drill.

They are also involved in training camps for coaches and start the ground work for the Tony Foristal tournament by getting the best players from each club (normally 4) together at U12's for higher grade training and challenge matches against other Counties.

3 of the nicest guys you could meet and did Trojan work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow, they're certainly good enough to do it. Would be absolutely brilliant if a Waterford team could make an AI final, not often that it happens in any grade.
    Big games needed from Austin Gleeson, Patrick Curran and the 2 Bennett's. I think the lads will do it but it will be tight.
    Best of luck to all involved.

Yes we have at least 3 I know of or should I say I knew of as they could have moved on but up to 2011 we had John Quinn for the East and Eoin Breathnach doing the West and Dave Robinson doing mid- County.

They basically go into the schools to train the kids or set it up for the local clubs to go in if possible. They also run tournaments during the season and off season or if a club wanted training in a specific drill they will go to the club and give the coaches a hand in doing the drill.

They are also involved in training camps for coaches and start the ground work for the Tony Foristal tournament by getting the best players from each club (normally 4) together at U12's for higher grade training and challenge matches against other Counties.

3 of the nicest guys you could meet and did Trojan work.

I presume they are operating on limited finances aswell. Ive been training with a club in Dublin recently and was shocked to find that most of the big senior hurling clubs employ full time hurling coaches/promotional officers. thats probably on top of those employed bythe county board. frightening for small counties such as ourselves as we'd realistically never be able to compete with the likes of that and youd really think its surprising this Dublin resurgence has only come now in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I presume they are operating on limited finances aswell. Ive been training with a club in Dublin recently and was shocked to find that most of the big senior hurling clubs employ full time hurling coaches/promotional officers. thats probably on top of those employed bythe county board. frightening for small counties such as ourselves as we'd realistically never be able to compete with the likes of that and youd really think its surprising this Dublin resurgence has only come now in the last couple of years.

Its only within the last 10 years they started putting the money into it like they are now. The amount of development officers is insane in Dublin.

Not really insane as the Dubs are very competitive at Underage up to minor and U21's.. It takes years to see the work come through.. It's not a surprise to see Waterford coming as the Co Board got there act together about 10 years ago and hired the development officers I expect to see Waterford being competitive at minor for the next few years however we seem to have a problem between minor and U21's as the expected great players seem to fade away for whatever reasons be it life, work, drink, women or management is debatable

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Not really insane as the Dubs are very competitive at Underage up to minor and U21's.. It takes years to see the work come through.. It's not a surprise to see Waterford coming as the Co Board got there act together about 10 years ago and hired the development officers I expect to see Waterford being competitive at minor for the next few years however we seem to have a problem between minor and U21's as the expected great players seem to fade away for whatever reasons be it life, work, drink, women or management is debatable

I'd say the problem in development of players from minor to U21 is down to the club structures more than anything else. Clare dont have our problem. They also reformed their club structures years ago with 12 teams in senior, 8 in senior B, 12 teams in intermediate and 12 in junior A. They dont do divisional competitions at adult level. But we do and that's where the problem is. If you are a member of a non senior club in waterford you are not allowed play against clubs in the other half of the county. While we are producing good players up to minor and have a very good representation from non senior clubs you would have to feel that further progress for these players will be limited when compared to Clare and KK.

While our under 21s have been poor the last few years, from the minor teams of 2009 onwards I think 11 players have played Senior championship hurling for Waterford. Considering there's nobody off last years minor team your talking about 11 players from 3 teams, in the space of 4 years. That's a very high return which would be much more documented but for the fact that most Counties are doing the same since Tipp's re-emergence in 2008. But I'd say it compares well with other counties anyway.

In terms of underage stars falling away, they often take their eye off the ball. Also, it's not uncommon for players to have more made out of them than should be, but I think it's very much pre 2009 as a huge amount of players in recent years have made the transition to Senior.

alllcounty wrote: »
    I'd say the problem in development of players from minor to U21 is down to the club structures more than anything else. Clare dont have our problem. They also reformed their club structures years ago with 12 teams in senior, 8 in senior B, 12 teams in intermediate and 12 in junior A. They dont do divisional competitions at adult level. But we do and that's where the problem is. If you are a member of a non senior club in waterford you are not allowed play against clubs in the other half of the county. While we are producing good players up to minor and have a very good representation from non senior clubs you would have to feel that further progress for these players will be limited when compared to Clare and KK.

Agree with you on this, the lack of competitive games at minor to 21's is in my opinion the real problem.. Players that were running midfield on the clubs minor team are drafted to corner back on the clubs senior team and is shackled to basic defending . His midfield days are over he settles into his basic defending duties and gets bored with hurling and soon gets uninterested and gets involved with other activities.. This is the common scenario in all clubs. You have up to 60 x minors of the previous 3 years trying to get on a club U21 team which means good bye to say 40 players who never play hurling again as they have no team to play on. Why the Co Board can't see this and organise U19 & U20 competitions is beyond me, like how hard can it be ?

Agree with you on this, the lack of competitive games at minor to 2t's is in my opinion the real problem.. Players that were running midfield on the clubs minor team are drafted to corner back on the clubs senior team and is shackled to basic defending . His midfield days are over he settles into his basic defending duties and gets bored with hurling and soon gets uninterested and gets involved with other activities.. This is the common scenario in all clubs. You have up to 60 x minors of the previous 3 years trying to get on a club U21 team which means good bye to say 40 players who never play hurling again as they have no team to play on. Why the Co Board can't see this and organise U19 & U20 competitions is beyond me, like how hard can it be ?

Theres barely enough time in the calendar for u21 games not to mind under 19 or 20 competitions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Well done to u16 Waterford ladies team tonight, beating Roscommon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement