Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

No I dont know what colour helmets they wear and I didnt see FMW last year as I was away but I know the lads well from playing against them many times. Im the same age as them so would have seen them first hand through the years since underage level. I know what their about you wont meet tougher lads out on the field and nicer lads off it.
    They are both fine footballers and to be fair they were late developers (didnt make the co. minor panel on their last year minor and there was a Nire man in charge!)

imo Maurice a good bit better hurler than Tom and I think scully called both of them up because he didnt know which was which. hence my comment about not knowing the difference. Anyway Im not going to slag anyone else off especially to a fellow parishioner such as urself:D

Having not seen them last year then, you should maybe accept the view of those who have seen them numerous times last year.

The view is at the very least split evenly on this forum about their inclusion, so don't tell me what the dogs in the street think, because whatever quantity of people you say share your view would probably be as exaggerated as the 150 supposedly better players in Waterford.

The point you're ignoring that so many have made already on this forum, is that it is a panel of 50 or more. It will decrease significantly by the end of this month or middle of February. It's a sign that players are being tried. You obviously have no idea who else is on the panel. Given how Fourmilewater performed in the championship, I don't think it's surprising that more of their players have been given a chance at this early stage in the year.

The insinuation that Ryan wouldn't know which was which is ludicrous in the extreme. Anyone would, they wear two different colour helmets. You say you've nothing personal against him, but the way you speak about him tells a different story. For what it's worth I would have considered Maurice the better of the two looking at them against Lismore, but Thomas played very well when moved from the forwards back to corner back in latter games against De La Salle and Ballygunner.

Earlier comments about anyone from the minor or u21 teams from the last two year being better than them is ,in your own words, an insult to your intelligence.

AND I don't know how many times I have to say it, I am not from The Nire or any affiliated parish, though I do know people there and I'm not a million miles away.
    doublejj wrote: »
    my point exactly.........mountainlad have nothing against the two boys,just thats my opinion having played against them and watched them..................tough boys i give anyone a chance no problem,just irks me a bit.......like i said no ffence to the twolads

Again, new manager, lots of players being tried out, there is no guarantee that they will be in the panel in 4 weeks time, anyone who says any different is not worth listening to. I'm sure Michael Ryan understands he's privileged to have this job at present and isn't going to throw it away on account of 'looking after his own' as some put it.

Disappointed this story emerged to be honest. If the news had not come out people would not have known any different possibly, or else at least not til both players had a chance to prove themselves in Waterford colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Typical of the small minded crap that exists in Waterford. It was as certain as night following day that as soon as a Waterford man took charge of the senior hurling team again this parochial club v club BS would kick off.

:rolleyes:

Was watching the Waterford V Clare match from 2004 earlier from the Club Deise 'Chasing Glory' DVD set released at the end of 2010.

One thing that struck me from it was that despite the fact that I don't think enough footage of Ken McGrath's outstanding displays at centre back can be obtained easily, this particular match shows the man at his best. Stunning display by him, well worth watching again.

After lording it and catching nearly every ball that came down his way, he flicks the ball up over his shoulder and drives it about 60 metres down the field without catching it, about 56 minutes in. You can hear the crowd 'ooh' in amazement. Great player, great to see again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

They are playing Laois on Friday and WIT at the weekend? anyone have the football team that played today?

Was watching the Waterford V Clare match from 2004 earlier from the Club Deise 'Chasing Glory' DVD set released at the end of 2010.

One thing that struck me from it was that despite the fact that I don't think enough footage of Ken McGrath's outstanding displays at centre back can be obtained easily, this particular match shows the man at his best. Stunning display by him, well worth watching again.

After lording it and catching nearly every ball that came down his way, he flicks the ball up over his shoulder and drives it about 60 metres down the field without catching it, about 56 minutes in. You can hear the crowd 'ooh' in amazement. Great player, great to see again :)

This was the first game I watched from that DVD collection. Hadnt ever seen it apart from being at the match. Awesome performance all round that day. One of the most enjoyable games to be it in so far as we had it wrapped up from so far out

• Advertisement

thesultan wrote: »
    They are playing Laois on Friday and WIT at the weekend? anyone have the football team that played today?

Not sure of teams but they were beaten 2-14 to 0-14 by Tralee IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

You say you've nothing personal against him, but the way you speak about him tells a different story.

I have absolutely noting personal against the man. He wouldnt have been my no. 1 choice of manager from the outset I would have preferred someone with more of a genuine hurling pedigree.

But the finances arent there and hes willing to give it a bash without breaking the bank so he defeinetly deserves a go in the circumstances. But picking the 2 o'gormans even if it is only on a development panel really shows that either hes lacking any ideas or that we are really stretched for hurlers at the moment.
    We all have players from our club that youd like to have on the trenches alongside you no matter where you are. Lads you see putting their body on the line for their teamates all your life. It can be deceiving and the respect you have these lads you feel as if theyd walk onto any county team but this is another level. It has shown naievety from scully ryan and really makes me question his line of thinking. Heres hoping Im wrong.

Have to say Id back him fully in how hes dealt with the Kelly situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Paddyman123

noiniho wrote: »
    It is very insulting to fourmilewater, alot of people on here disregarding them as just a football club, saying they should stick to the football.

Have any of you been watching the club championship the last few years? Aside from what is now the big two of Ballygunner and De La Salle, Fourmile are up there witht he best of the rest, if not the best of the rest, they have been desperately unlucky in close games over the last 3-4 years, no other team in the county likes playing them and they are a very good hurling team/club!! They are not just a football team.

does their present standing in the club championship make them deserving of having a ~10% representation on a panel of 50? of course it does.

The O Gorman twins selection is the one raising the most dispute, I have seen this up close but if you put either of those two lads up against any other member of that panel in a competitive match they will know they are after a game and I have seen them come out on top of other inter county players in club games over the last few years. It struck me that you always get more then you expect when watching them and theat means that they are actually better then they are giving credit for.

all this b!tching and moaning already, these players ye are all so worried about mightnt even be next or near the panel come the league matches....
    and lets just say that all that tossing and turning, those sleepness nights are justified and your worse dreams come true, they are actually on the league and god forbid get a game, how about.... WE GIVE THEM A F*CKING CHANCE!!! then if things dont work out go crazy and form that angry mob, they are headed towards the old mill etc.

As for the Eoin Kelly situation, lets face it he is difficult to manage, if he wasnt he would still be wearing a Mt. Sion jersey, it sounds to me like he wasnt up for the hard early season training, he probably got away with a stunt like this before, but ryan was brave enough to say it is not good enough, I dont know how they were tracking fitness but taking body fat % and calculating mean muscle mass etc probabaly had something to do with it, Eoin Kelly would have got through any other type of fitness tests but there is no hiding place from a skinfold test either you have the work done or you havent.

hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

espeically when you start to head towards the 30 yrs of age mark

Well said, you said exactly what i was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

deisedude wrote: »
    ........I'd say half of ye have never even seen them play

or ever held a hurley in their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 18 toggingout

I was passing WIT on Sat, so I decided to pop in at half time to watch the footballers. First thing lads is to warned that if you enter the grounds at half time you still have to pay the full admission fee. This is a new rule passed where full price will be required at all games until 3/4 of the game is played. It was a €5 in.

The first thing that struck me was that the footballers had I think only 6 subs. When you compare this to the hurlers who have 50+, you get a sense of what the football managers are up against. In saying that I am not too sure how well this current management team search the entire county for players, or just seem to stick to the usual west clubs. Also there was no Stradbally player involved which was surprising.

I missed the first half, so can't comment but the lads had 70% of possession in the second half and did kick some nice points but I.T could break easily and found scores easy enough as well. The Waterford full back line was all out of shapes and the O'Gorman's were truely missed here. I.T should have 4-5 goals. Gary Hurney looked slim and lively as was Liam O lionain. The other forwards never got going at all. A lot of work ahead for the footballers.

One other note is that the GAA have this winter ban in place but then expect a team to play after less than a weeks collective training. Its amazing that a lot of players aren't pulling up injured.crazy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

toggingout wrote: »
    I was passing WIT on Sat, so I decided to pop in at half time to watch the footballers. First thing lads is to warned that if you enter the grounds at half time you still have to pay the full admission fee. This is a new rule passed where full price will be required at all games until 3/4 of the game is played. It was a €5 in.

The first thing that struck me was that the footballers had I think only 6 subs. When you compare this to the hurlers who have 50+, you get a sense of what the football managers are up against. In saying that I am not too sure how well this current management team search the entire county for players, or just seem to stick to the usual west clubs. Also there was no Stradbally player involved which was surprising.

I missed the first half, so can't comment but the lads had 70% of possession in the second half and did kick some nice points but I.T could break easily and found scores easy enough as well. The Waterford full back line was all out of shapes and the O'Gorman's were truely missed here. I.T should have 4-5 goals. Gary Hurney looked slim and lively as was Liam O lionain. The other forwards never got going at all. A lot of work ahead for the footballers.

One other note is that the GAA have this winter ban in place but then expect a team to play after less than a weeks collective training. Its amazing that a lot of players aren't pulling up injured.crazy

Full marks to the gate men. they are very committed. Its no wonder you were charged full price. you were there 24 hours before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

toggingout wrote: »

Looking at the team which lined out, they appear to be pretty short of options at the moment. As much as emigration is a problem, lads who are working in places like Dublin or elsewhere will surely become a big a problem with the amount of effort required to play at this level.

I relation to your comment about how extensive their trawl for players is, certainly up to as recent as Jackson Kiely's time they made some strange decisions when picking squads. There were definitely a few lads who should have been brought in who were playing below senior, but weren't and fell by the wayside due to the poor local club scene and other factors. I'm not too sure about the current setup, but I doubt much has changed.

€5 for half time McGrath Cup is poor enough form. They should be charging a euro or two going directly to charity or something to get numbers in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 namespace

Re: footballers.

We've many injuries right now, and those who aren't are doing very heavy training, hence not getting off the ground until the 2nd half on Sunday. Some Stradbally guys injured (there were 3 at the game not togged out).

There have been some retirees this year too, but also some new guys in, so it will take a few games to adapt to the new squad. I wouldn't read too much into the defeat, as I said it's all heavy stuff for us, versus a Sigerson team who are expected to peak in the next few weeks.

Also, we had more than 6 subs, I think it was 9. 5 came on. If guys are injured then little can be done. Some are long term some are short.

Hardybuck - much has changed. It's polar to what is was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

the draw for the Harty cup quarter finals has paired De La Salle against Midleton CBS while West Waterford Colleges will play one of the favourites in their last eight clash as they've been drawn against St Flannan's of Ennis. Both games will go ahead on Wednesday January 18th with neutral venues to be confirmed for the matches later this week.

namespace wrote: »
    Re: footballers.

We've many injuries right now, and those who aren't are doing very heavy training, hence not getting off the ground until the 2nd half on Sunday. Some Stradbally guys injured (there were 3 at the game not togged out).

There have been some retirees this year too, but also some new guys in, so it will take a few games to adapt to the new squad. I wouldn't read too much into the defeat, as I said it's all heavy stuff for us, versus a Sigerson team who are expected to peak in the next few weeks.

Also, we had more than 6 subs, I think it was 9. 5 came on. If guys are injured then little can be done. Some are long term some are short.

Hardybuck - much has changed. It's polar to what is was.

Great stuff namespace. Personally I wasn't too bothered by the result, as you say it is very early in the year. I was more concerned by the players who made themselves available. The underage standard has gone down in quality hugely in the last few years. I'd be looking to retain as as many of the 26-32 vintage as possible as a base for the odd young lad coming in.

Who has retired since 2011, and who has come new into the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

About the O Gormans being in the extended squad, why cant people give them a chance? I cannot understand the attitude of some people on here, a hurley hasn't been swung in anger and already they're having a go at Michael Ryan.
    This is the kind of carry on that had us in the doldrums for years, some fellas aren't happy unless they're slagging off their fellow county men. If they're good enough they'll make it if not they wont, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

carter10 wrote: »
    About the O Gormans being in the extended squad, why cant people give them a chance? I cannot understand the attitude of some people on here, a hurley hasn't been swung in anger and already they're having a go at Michael Ryan.
    This is the kind of carry on that had us in the doldrums for years, some fellas aren't happy unless they're slagging off their fellow county men. If they're good enough they'll make it if not they wont, simple as.
    well said nice one

Delighted to see that the county board have approved a move towards appointing a new Director of Football for the county. Whoever ends up in the position will have a big job on their hands, and best of luck to them.

Personally I feel Waterford have really blown it with the sloppy setup over the past 15-20 years. There have been some genuinely really good underage teams in this period which they failed to build upon at senior level. If I cast my mind back there was something like 5 Munster U21 final appearances including one win in a 10 year period when the hurlers couldn't get a win of any description at minor or U21.

Literally every other county in Munster has improved in the last few years in underage while Waterford have gone dramatically backwards. When you see Tipp winning an All Ireland minor football it just shows what can be done.

Also before any knuckleheads jump in and complain about money being diverted from hurling, the chosen candidate will not be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lads will someone with the relevant 'power' please take that fcukin poll off this thread it is sooo tilting at this stage :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lads will someone with the relevant 'power' please take that fcukin poll off this thread it is sooo tilting at this stage :mad:

I sent a message to a Mod to remove it. No Waterford mods and you are one of the few "foreigners" to venture into the thread so unlikely they saw it!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Waterford stars and news

hardybuck wrote: »
    Great stuff namespace. Personally I wasn't too bothered by the result, as you say it is very early in the year. I was more concerned by the players who made themselves available. The underage standard has gone down in quality hugely in the last few years. I'd be looking to retain as as many of the 26-32 vintage as possible as a base for the odd young lad coming in.

Who has retired since 2011, and who has come new into the squad?

I was sitting in the stand watching the game with my old fella. He Spotted alot of regulars sitting together of the stand not togged. I don't know If they are all injured or rested but I can tell you who was there. Tommy Pender (Kilros), White (Kilros), Niall and Wayne Hennessy (Ardmore), Tony Grey (Stradbally), Robert Ahearne (Stradbally) and Eamonn Welsh (Ballinameela). Hope them the best for the coming season. I was impressed with that young Nugent lad from Rathgormac (he only got second half but played well) and felt the defence looked makeshift.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Fitzgibbon team of the century shortlist

By Fintan O’Toole
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012
    FORMER GAA President Joe McDonagh will chair a committee of former Fitzgibbon Cup players and managers that will select a ‘Team Of The Century’ from a shortlist of 75 third-level hurling stars, as part of the competition’s centenary celebrations this year.
    Henry Shefflin, Nicky English, Brian Lohan, Joe Deane, Conor Hayes, JJ Delaney and Eoin Kelly are amongst those vying for inclusion.

SHORTLIST: Goalkeepers: T Daly (UCD, Clare/Dublin), G Cotter (UCC, Cork), D Young (WIT, Tipperary), R Brennan (UCD, Wexford), J O’Donoghue (UCC, Tipperary).

Backs: S Silke (Maynooth, Galway), S Stack (Maynooth, Clare), R Curran (CIT, Cork), L Shalloe (UCC, Waterford), J Grainger (UCC, Cork), J O’Connor (UCC, Wexford), D Barry-Murphy (UCC, Cork), M Cahill (UCC, Tipperary), T Carroll (UCD, Kilkenny), D O’Neill (UCD, Kilkenny), J Ryan (UCD, Limerick/Dublin), N McInerney (UCG, Clare/Galway), C Hayes (UCG, Galway), J Lee (NUIG, Galway), S Lucey (UCD, Limerick), J Walsh (DIT, Laois), C Duggan (TCD, Laois), J Tyrrell (CIT/LIT, Kilkenny), C O’Mahony (LIT, Tipperary), E Corcoran (WIT, Tipperary), JJ Delaney (WIT, Kilkenny), M Walsh (WIT, Waterford), S McMahon (UL, Clare), S Hickey (UL, Limerick), J Devane (UL, Tipperary), D Cormican (QUB, Antrim), B Lohan (UL, Clare), P Curran (WIT, Tipperary), J Tennyson (UCC, Kilkenny), K Coogan (WIT, Kilkenny).

Midfielders: J Salmon (UCG, Galway), I Clarke (Maynooth, Galway), J Young (UCC, Cork), C Lucey (UCC, Cork), P O’Connor (UCC, Cork), E Enright (UCC, Tipperary), J Cooney (UCD, Tipperary), D Dillon (UCD, Clare/Dublin), J Hurley (UCC, Cork), D Stokes (UCD, Limerick).

Forwards: J Connolly (UCG, Galway), J O’Connor (UCG, Clare), E Kelly (LIT, Tipperary), J Canning (LIT, Galway), A Maloney (WIT, Waterford/Tipperary), H Shefflin (WIT, Kilkenny), P Kavanagh (UCD, Kilkenny), PJ Delaney (WIT, Kilkenny), A O’Shaughnessy (GMIT, Galway), C O’Neill (UCC/QUB, Derry), P O’Donovan (UCC, Cork), N English (UCC, Tipperary), J Enright (UCC, Tipperary), J Deane (UCC, Cork), J O’Halloran (UCC, Cork), E Bulfin (UCD, Offaly), J Byrne (UCD, Wexford), D Nealon (UCD, Tipperary), P Henchy (UCC, Clare), J Ryan (UCD, Tipperary), B Loughnane (UCD, Clare/Dublin), T Loughnane (UCD, Clare), M Ruth (UCD, Kilkenny), K Broderick (AIT, Galway), J Sheehan (DCU, Cork), D Troy (UCC, Cork), N McManus (UUJ, Antrim), W Hyland (LIT, Laois), J Fitzpatrick (UCC/St Pat’s, Kilkenny).

Not much representation from the Deise, is it because entries to 3rd level education are lower in waterford than the rest of the country?

alllcounty wrote: »
    Fitzgibbon team of the century shortlist

By Fintan O’Toole
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012
    FORMER GAA President Joe McDonagh will chair a committee of former Fitzgibbon Cup players and managers that will select a ‘Team Of The Century’ from a shortlist of 75 third-level hurling stars, as part of the competition’s centenary celebrations this year.
    Henry Shefflin, Nicky English, Brian Lohan, Joe Deane, Conor Hayes, JJ Delaney and Eoin Kelly are amongst those vying for inclusion.
    SHORTLIST: Goalkeepers: T Daly (UCD, Clare/Dublin), G Cotter (UCC, Cork), D Young (WIT, Tipperary), R Brennan (UCD, Wexford), J O’Donoghue (UCC, Tipperary).
    Backs: S Silke (Maynooth, Galway), S Stack (Maynooth, Clare), R Curran (CIT, Cork), L Shalloe (UCC, Waterford), J Grainger (UCC, Cork), J O’Connor (UCC, Wexford), D Barry-Murphy (UCC, Cork), M Cahill (UCC, Tipperary), T Carroll (UCD, Kilkenny), D O’Neill (UCD, Kilkenny), J Ryan (UCD, Limerick/Dublin), N McInerney (UCG, Clare/Galway), C Hayes (UCG, Galway), J Lee (NUIG, Galway), S Lucey (UCD, Limerick), J Walsh (DIT, Laois), C Duggan (TCD, Laois), J Tyrrell (CIT/LIT, Kilkenny), C O’Mahony (LIT, Tipperary), E Corcoran (WIT, Tipperary), JJ Delaney (WIT, Kilkenny), M Walsh (WIT, Waterford), S McMahon (UL, Clare), S Hickey (UL, Limerick), J Devane (UL, Tipperary), D Cormican (QUB, Antrim), B Lohan (UL, Clare), P Curran (WIT, Tipperary), J Tennyson (UCC, Kilkenny), K Coogan (WIT, Kilkenny).
    Midfielders: J Salmon (UCG, Galway), I Clarke (Maynooth, Galway), J Young (UCC, Cork), C Lucey (UCC, Cork), P O’Connor (UCC, Cork), E Enright (UCC, Tipperary), J Cooney (UCD, Tipperary), D Dillon (UCD, Clare/Dublin), J Hurley (UCC, Cork), D Stokes (UCD, Limerick).
    Forwards: J Connolly (UCG, Galway), J O’Connor (UCG, Clare), E Kelly (LIT, Tipperary), J Canning (LIT, Galway), A Maloney (WIT, Waterford/Tipperary), H Shefflin (WIT, Kilkenny), P Kavanagh (UCD, Kilkenny), PJ Delaney (WIT, Kilkenny), A O’Shaughnessy (GMIT, Galway), C O’Neill (UCC/QUB, Derry), P O’Donovan (UCC, Cork), N English (UCC, Tipperary), J Enright (UCC, Tipperary), J Deane (UCC, Cork), J O’Halloran (UCC, Cork), E Bulfin (UCD, Offaly), J Byrne (UCD, Wexford), D Nealon (UCD, Tipperary), P Henchy (UCC, Clare), J Ryan (UCD, Tipperary), B Loughnane (UCD, Clare/Dublin), T Loughnane (UCD, Clare), M Ruth (UCD, Kilkenny), K Broderick (AIT, Galway), J Sheehan (DCU, Cork), D Troy (UCC, Cork), N McManus (UUJ, Antrim), W Hyland (LIT, Laois), J Fitzpatrick (UCC/St Pat’s, Kilkenny).

Not much representation from the Deise, is it because entries to 3rd level education are lower in waterford than the rest of the country?

Poor participation at third level plus the fact that Waterford have been pretty rubbish for most of the county's history.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Poor participation at third level plus the fact that Waterford have been pretty rubbish for most of the county's history.

too true, in our history the county has been poor in generating underage talent unlike other counties. however that has changed recently. anyone know if any other motions were accepted at the recent convention a few weeks ago, i know senior football is divided into 2 groups but have there been any changes in the structure of the under 21 championship, i think 2 clubs proposed reforms of this grade

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

deisedude wrote: »
    I sent a message to a Mod to remove it. No Waterford mods and you are one of the few "foreigners" to venture into the thread so unlikely they saw it!!! :P

I saw it before and tried to remove it and I couldn't, tried again today and I still can't :( I'll get onto the Admins to see what can be done, I'm on it :D

Clareman wrote: »
    I saw it before and tried to remove it and I couldn't, tried again today and I still can't :( I'll get onto the Admins to see what can be done, I'm on it :D

I'm sure we'll see a bit more of Clareman come the early summer anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

I notice Phill Fanning's piece in the news and star this week is somewhat critical and of Micheal Ryans handling of the Eoin Kelly affair, funny I dont remenber any such defence of Eoin or questioning of the Mount Soin managment at the time of Eoin Kellys departure from Mount Sion, Hmm I wonder why is that, Blood is thicker than water it seems even in journalisim.

Apparently, Clare were training last night, and at 6am this morning! Davy is mad for revenge clearly (and just mad in general.)

WIT have a strong looking team this year as well just looking at the Waterford representation. Power, O'Keefe, Connors, Hutchison, Madigan, Dillon and Shane Walsh, and I heard that Gavin O'Brien was there, but he wasn't mentioned in the observer, so not sure if he's still there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Apparently, Clare were training last night, and at 6am this morning! Davy is mad for revenge clearly (and just mad in general.)

WIT have a strong looking team this year as well just looking at the Waterford representation. Power, O'Keefe, Connors, Hutchison, Madigan, Dillon and Shane Walsh, and I heard that Gavin O'Brien was there, but he wasn't mentioned in the observer, so not sure if he's still there.

Gavin O' Briens only a firstie so he wouldnt be able to play on the "real" senior team, would that be it?

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Gavin O' Briens only a firstie so he wouldnt be able to play on the "real" senior team, would that be it?

Ya he'd only be eligible for the freshers team

Kelly may be back according to the Examiner :eek:
    Waterford's Eoin Kelly could be welcomed back into the inter-county squad, after his surprise removal from the panel earlier in the month.
    Former All Star Kelly was left out of the Waterford panel over concerns about his fitness and commitment.

However, the Examiner reports that Kelly has held talks with manager Michael Ryan and that the tone of the meeting was a conciliatory one.

The Passage East clubman had originally refused to attend a meeting with Ryan's management team over his fitness, however there now appears to have been a softening in attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Are the management teams for the U18 & U21 hurlers the same as last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Doxer Burns (Ferrybank) Manager: Ray O Brien (Butlerstown) + 2 others are the Minor selectors..

U21's Selectors will change this year also I believe, by whom I'm not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Doesnt matter. By championship time theyll have forgotten how to actually pick up a ball

Doesnt matter. By championship time theyll have forgotten how to actually pick up a ball

brian coady is hardly out running woods and getting the team up for 6am sessions. best form of preparation is games of 25mins aside between the panel and putting away the whistle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

brian coady is hardly out running woods and getting the team up for 6am sessions. best form of preparation is games of 25mins aside between the panel and putting away the whistle...

While Fitzs army routine is somewhat outdated and OTT its a bit more complex than training matches, what benefit would hurling in mud and shi*e in January have in June?

While Fitzs army routine is somewhat outdated and OTT its a bit more complex than training matches, what benefit would hurling in mud and shi*e in January have in June?

you have a point there, i guess at this time of year the goal would be to build up a certain level of fitness and doing a good bit of stick work to get a high skill level. too much heavy training now will not keep the team fresh when the ground hardens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I think a few of you are slightly concerned about Clare posing a threat under Davy. I think they'll be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years and Davy will have learned a lot from his time with Waterford. This was always the job he wanted. I wouldnt be writing them off at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Just a quick question lads, does the parish rule exist in Waterford? Say for example I was to join Passage on an inter county transfer, but the part of waterford I am situated in is not Passage. Would i be able to transfer or must you live locally to join the club?

Just a quick question lads, does the parish rule exist in Waterford? Say for example I was to join Passage on an inter county transfer, but the part of waterford I am situated in is not Passage. Would i be able to transfer or must you live locally to join the club?

I would think you would be ok to live where ever you like once you get the transfer..

• Advertisement

Funfair wrote: »
    I would think you would be ok to live where ever you like once you get the transfer..

Hopefully. Another thing, do waterford have an u16 league and championship(u16 as in this year, and last year u15). There only seems to be u14 and u16 which wouldn't help me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

no such thing as parish rule in waterford u can play wherever u want

tonc76 wrote: »
    no such thing as parish rule in waterford u can play wherever u want

Are you 100 percent sure about this? So you do not need to live in the locality of the club to play for them? It's just I was under the illusion that say if I was living in Tramore, that I could only play for Tramore and not play for a club in the city or so on.

I thought we were talking senior hurling... Juvenile Hurling has a parish rule in effect but not sure it will effect an inter county transfer. You might have to explain why your not playing for the local club (say Roanmore) where you intend to live and want to join Passage 8 miles away if you get my drift..

I thought we were talking senior hurling... Juvenile Hurling has a parish rule in effect but not sure it will effect an inter county transfer. You might have to explain why your not playing for the local club (say Roanmore) where you intend to live and want to join Passage 8 miles away if you get my drift..

Yeah I understand. But after that is everything else easy enough? One of several reasons a club in the city would be easiest is I might be travelling from Dublin to play some games and the city is the first part of Waterford you reach when you enter waterford.

Are you 100 percent sure about this? So you do not need to live in the locality of the club to play for them? It's just I was under the illusion that say if I was living in Tramore, that I could only play for Tramore and not play for a club in the city or so on.

You would if you played U14/U15 for Tramore you certainly wouldn't be allowed join Passage if you still lived in Tramore.

You joining from a different County straight to Passage with no under age baggage with other clubs in Waterford should have no problem.

Re: U14/16 question: Their is an Eastern Championship and County Championship at U14 and U16 and just an Eastern Championship at U15 (no County Champ) which results in about 5 or 6 games all year at U15.

The Eastern Championship is basicly made up of all clubs in the East of the County which this year at U15 is at 16 clubs in 3 divisions..

Passage have 5 games Div 1 before the play offs this season so if they don't make the play off's they will have 5 games all year.

You would if you played U14/U15 for Tramore you certainly wouldn't be allowed join Passage if you still lived in Tramore.

You joining from a different County straight to Passage with no under age baggage with other clubs in Waterford should have no problem.

Re: U14/16 question: Their is an Eastern Championship and County Championship at U14 and U16 and just an Eastern Championship at U15 (no County Champ) which results in about 5 or 6 games all year at U15.

The Eastern Championship is basicly made up of all clubs in the East of the County which this year at U15 is at 16 clubs in 3 divisions..

Passage have 5 games Div 1 before the play offs this season so if they don't make the play off's they will have 5 games all year.

So the fact that I have no history with other clubs in waterford would help me joining a club not in my locality? You have been very helpful I appreciate it, just one last thing, is there anywhere on the internet that i can access last years u15,(this year u16) league or championship tables? They don't seem to be on the Waterford GAA website. Or are they just in the Munster Express?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

585517.jpg

585512.jpg

Well guys what do ye think of the new jersey?

Personally think it looks like an oversized training jersey. No idea why they have reverted to the old non-tight style with ridiculously long sleeves.

Don't like it at all. Agree it looks like a training top.

While I'd like to see a local business getting the business, Azzurri have been consistently poor in their jersey manufacture. Their leisure range is decent, but then so is O'Neills as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭TheLynx

The new Waterford jersey sets the tone for this year's campaign...............failure

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement