Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

My opinion, walking off a panel because your not named captain is petty. I don't believe that's what's happened, wouldn't be Mullane's style. The journalist was milking it anyway, mentioning Eoin Kelly in the article as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

My opinion, walking off a panel because your not named captain is petty. I don't believe that's what's happened, wouldn't be Mullane's style. The journalist was milking it anyway, mentioning Eoin Kelly in the article as well.

Well i'd be more inclined to believe its to recover for niggly injuries as WLR are reporting it. Between DLS and Waterford he has a lot of miles covered the last few years with little time for a break. No harm for us to develop a gameplan that isn't centred around him while he is off as under Davy at times it felt like the only option was to hit it into him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well i'd be more inclined to believe its to recover for niggly injuries as WLR are reporting it. Between DLS and Waterford he has a lot of miles covered the last few years with little time for a break. No harm for us to develop a gameplan that isn't centred around him while he is off as under Davy at times it felt like the only option was to hit it into him

Agreed, I think this may have been blown out of proportion and that Mullane is taking some time out to recover from niggly injuries. If he's taking a break now in an effort to be in tip top shape later on in the year then Id be happy to go along with that. I've no doubt we'll see John in championship come June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

DeiseX wrote: »
    F*ck Lar Corbett, we have our own problems!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mullane-takes-indefinite-break-182966.html

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mullane takes indefinite break

By John Fogarty

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

John Mullane is understood to have taken an indefinite break from inter-county hurling.

The reasons for the Waterford’s four-time All Star forward’s decision are unclear but he is set to take time out from the county fold for the foreseeable future.

The player had no comment to make when contacted yesterday.

Mullane did not feature alongside other established team-mates in the county’s Waterford Crystal Cup quarter-final win over UCC on Sunday.

It has been suggested the De La Salle man could be unavailable for six weeks and miss Waterford’s first two Allianz Division 1 games but the time-span is as yet uncertain. Between club commitments, his wedding and honeymoon, the 30-year-old, who picked up his third consecutive All Star last year, featured in just two league games in 2011.

This past weekend, Michael "Brick" Walsh was named as Waterford captain by manager Michael Ryan. The defender previously lead the team for spells in 2007 and ‘08. It’s not certain whether Mullane was seeking the captaincy but he had certainly put his name in the hat for the honour on the back of three stellar seasons for Waterford.

The speculation in the county was Mullane, who won two Munster club titles with Ryan as De La Salle manager, would get the nod.

Reacting to the decision to give Walsh the armband last Friday, Mullane’s former Waterford team-mate Brian Flannery tweeted: "John Mullane over looked again for Waterford captaincy!"

News of Mullane’s departure comes after Eoin Kelly was last month omitted from Waterford’s plans due to fitness concerns.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mullane-takes-indefinite-break-182966.html#ixzz1lgDIk2wq

This article is the biggest load of b****x ive ever seen. An example of the media making a mountain out of a molehill. What actual substance is there behind anything John Fogarty says? I have first hand information that no one from that newspaper contacted John Mullane so maybe thats why there was 'no comment'.

The man wants a break to get himself right for the championship. shur who deserves it more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

So is Mullane definitely only taking time to get over a few little injuries? If that's all it is, I couldn't care less. He doesn't need to play the league.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    So is Mullane definitely only taking time to get over a few little injuries? If that's all it is, I couldn't care less. He doesn't need to play the league.

Newstalk reporting it is for family matters and Mullane hopes to come back soon when/if circumstances change. Sounds like it isn't a long term thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bothar000

mullane gave an interview to sport at 7 on radio 1 tonite .said that when training started this year he wasnt really enjoying it and sat down with the management and decided to take a break for a few weeks . he said he should with the panel after paddys day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisedude wrote: »
    Newstalk reporting it is for family matters and Mullane hopes to come back soon when/if circumstances change. Sounds like it isn't a long term thing
    bothar000 wrote: »
    mullane gave an interview to sport at 7 on radio 1 tonite .said that when training started this year he wasnt really enjoying it and sat down with the management and decided to take a break for a few weeks . he said he should with the panel after paddys day

All good news so. Hopefully whatever needs sorting out gets resolved and we'll have him back soon.

bothar000 wrote: »

Was listening to it aswell good news that he will be back but he sounded a bit disillusioned I thought. Talking about the phenomenal commitment involved nowadays while trying to hold down a full time job with 2 small kids ect... unlike him.

Id fear it could be his last year at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Clare beat Limerick 2-13 to 1-15 tonight in the Waterford Crystal Cup replay, so Waterford will welcome back former manager Davy Fitz and his Clare outfit to Walsh Park for the semi final this Sunday with the throw in at 2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was listening to it aswell good news that he will be back but he sounded a bit disillusioned I thought. Talking about the phenomenal commitment involved nowadays while trying to hold down a full time job with 2 small kids ect... unlike him.

Id fear it could be his last year at it

Few weeks break definitely the right thing for him so.

It really is an amazing commitment, and with things so tough in the jobs world nowadays, players and their wives/partners simply dont have the time they used to have

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

KevIRL wrote: »
    Clare beat Limerick 2-13 to 1-15 tonight in the Waterford Crystal Cup replay, so Waterford will welcome back former manager Davy Fitz and his Clare outfit to Walsh Park for the semi final this Sunday with the throw in at 2pm

Thought that was a home game only if Limerick Won?
    Was good to have mullane Clarify the situation tonight, rumour mill was going into overdrive, , think the commitment required by intercounty players these days is not sustainable , somethings going to give, No comment/support from managment team though, hope the support is there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

No, it was if Clare won, we'd be at home but if Limerick won, it'd be up in Limerick so I'm well pleased Clare came through and to get another game in the weekend. Also, an opportunity for a mini dress rehearsal against Davy ahead of June!

Glad Mullane came out and cleared it up, we all know he just wouldn't have come out and said he was calling it a day. The commitment required is no doubt savage and I have huge respect for all the lads on the panel and indeed every intercounty player that puts in the effort for nothing in return. The break will hopefully do him good and build up his appetite for the business end of the season.

Thought that was a home game only if Limerick Won?
    Was good to have mullane Clarify the situation tonight, rumour mill was going into overdrive, , think the commitment required by intercounty players these days is not sustainable , somethings going to give, No comment/support from managment team though, hope the support is there ?

They don't really need to though, I mean Mullane has said all that needs to be said. It's not like Kelly where there is two sides to the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

This article is the biggest load of b****x ive ever seen. An example of the media making a mountain out of a molehill. What actual substance is there behind anything John Fogarty says? I have first hand information that no one from that newspaper contacted John Mullane so maybe thats why there was 'no comment'.

The man wants a break to get himself right for the championship. shur who deserves it more?

Mr John Fogarty. Mr Fitz 's golfing buddy. Wondered when he'd raise his head again.

• Advertisement

I was gonna say I seem to remember a very pro Fitz/anti-Waterford article written by him several months ago.

On an off topic note, Boards has gone really small for me. It's not an issue with the zoom on my browser pages because it's grand on all other webpages. Happened yesterday when I held down the left click button on my laptop, dunno how to fix it!

I was gonna say I seem to remember a very pro Fitz/anti-Waterford article written by him several months ago.

On an off topic note, Boards has gone really small for me. It's not an issue with the zoom on my browser pages because it's grand on all other webpages. Happened yesterday when I held down the left click button on my laptop, dunno how to fix it!

Try adjusting the zoom on the page when you are on boards anyway. Your browser might be remembering it as default setting for the website or something

Other than that try the helpdesk forum

They don't really need to though, I mean Mullane has said all that needs to be said. It's not like Kelly where there is two sides to the story.

Yea but with management making a point of everyone putting in the same effort ( no late returns as was the habit under fitz) from day one, I would hope that the move taken by John wont leave a negative residue wirh them, suppose its a case of damed if you do damed if you dont

Yea but with management making a point of everyone putting in the same effort ( no late returns as was the habit under fitz) from day one, I would hope that the move taken by John wont leave a negative residue wirh them, suppose its a case of damed if you do damed if you dont

Not an issue imo. The issue with Kelly is he didnt stick to the winter training program with the rest of the panel. Mullane obviously did and turned up in great shape on Jan 1st. Mullane is not looking for a cop-out or hiding hes being true to himself and hes sat down and discussed it with management first as youd expect any honest player to do. There shouldnt be any animosity with the rest of the panel especially with Mullane who owes nothing nor has to prove nothing. Id be kind of happy that thered be more of a chance for me to make an impression in the league.

Listening to sport at 7 last night after the interview the same old texts coming in; 'you wouldnt hear the KK lads complaining abt having to go training' thats crap. if you see shefflin and the experienced lads get plenty of rest during the league aswell its the way the game has gone. the older you get the more you need to save yourself for championship

Not an issue imo. The issue with Kelly is he didnt stick to the winter training program with the rest of the panel. Mullane obviously did and turned up in great shape on Jan 1st. Mullane is not looking for a cop-out or hiding hes being true to himself and hes sat down and discussed it with management first as youd expect any honest player to do. There shouldnt be any animosity with the rest of the panel especially with Mullane who owes nothing nor has to prove nothing. Id be kind of happy that thered be more of a chance for me to make an impression in the league.

Listening to sport at 7 last night after the interview the same old texts coming in; 'you wouldnt hear the KK lads complaining abt having to go training' thats crap. if you see shefflin and the experienced lads get plenty of rest during the league aswell its the way the game has gone. the older you get the more you need to save yourself for championship

Sure your right , Mull owes no one anything and managment probably happy to keep a low profile as much as possible unlike the last few years as for killkenny Id rekon they complain as much or as little as any panel , just a bit more silverware to balance the complaints with either that or a total lack of imagination in regard to life outside of hurling !

Talking about complaining I hear thegate will be €10 eurs for next weeks game vs clare, thats a 100% rise from last week even with Fitz as a side show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Also try Ctrl and + at the same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

There is was a Waterford man playing corner back for UCC at the weekend who was he?

thesultan wrote: »
    There is was a Waterford man playing corner back for UCC at the weekend who was he?

Thanks, that worked!

Tom Curran, 19 year old from Ballinameela. Was named as number 4 but I thought Fives started instead of him.

Thanks, that worked!

Tom Curran, 19 year old from Ballinameela. Was named as number 4 but I thought Fives started instead of him.

There was also a P O'Mahony (Waterford) named on the Fitzgibbon team at corner back on the examiner. Paudie Mahony was wing forward so it wasnt him unless its his brother Philip. It loooked like a typo to me though

• Registered Users Posts: 10 crackinthewall

i noticed eoin kelly on sports section of the munster puffing on a fag....must be takin getting in shape seriously!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Thanks, that worked!

He played the full game. Kept Brian O'Halloran scoreless.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

There was also a P O'Mahony (Waterford) named on the Fitzgibbon team at corner back on the examiner. Paudie Mahony was wing forward so it wasnt him unless its his brother Philip. It loooked like a typo to me though

P OMahony at corner back is from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    P OMahony at corner back is from Cork
    anyone know if mullane is over the sulks yet

anyone know if mullane is over the sulks yet

Cheap shot. Hes rested for the league the last few seasons so have many older players from other counties so dunno wat the big song and dance about this year is. He owes u nothing anyway thats for sure

i noticed eoin kelly on sports section of the munster puffing on a fag....must be takin getting in shape seriously!!!!!

Many intercounty players smoke

• Advertisement

Cheap shot. Hes rested for the league the last few seasons so have many older players from other counties so dunno wat the big song and dance about this year is. He owes u nothing anyway thats for sure
    open your eyes,put on your listening ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Many intercounty players smoke

Many?? I very much doubt that, I would say the % of smokers among AI contenders in either code would be tiny.

Many?? I very much doubt that, I would say the % of smokers among AI contenders in either code would be tiny.

Was going to ask that. I know several of the Offaly boys in the 90's did, but with the training they do it must be nearly impossible to get away with it.

Don't think Kelly has a hope of returning to the team anyway, too many young forwards with potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Yes, would have thought the same, and wonder how any athlete could expect reach the top of their game (at least athlethically), being a smoker. Obviously I have no problems with players that choose to smoke, but would imagine they are fooling only themselves, with the pace and speed of the modern intercounty game

Don't think Kelly has a hope of returning to the team anyway, too many young forwards with potential there.

You could be quite right. One good season for many of the younger players chomping at the bit could change a lot, and we may have a whole new set of household names that 'we can't do without'. I would love to see the likes of Brian O'Halloran, Brian O'Sullivan, and others step up to the plate big time this year, as well as many others like Maurice Shanahan and Pauric O'Mahony deliver on their promise even more.

Delighted to see Brick being explored at centreforward also, something I had been hoping to see for a while, given the lack of presence in that entire line for the last few years.

You could be quite right. One good season for many of the younger players chomping at the bit could change a lot, and we may have a whole new set of household names that 'we can't do without'. I would love to see the likes of Brian O'Halloran, Brian O'Sullivan, and others step up to the plate big time this year, as well as many others like Maurice Shanahan and Pauric O'Mahony deliver on their promise even more.

Delighted to see Brick being explored at centreforward also, something I had been hoping to see for a while, given the lack of presence in that entire line for the last few years.

And it would appear that we have players that can step up to the mark in midfield and at centre back to fill the void left by Brick.

Anyone know what the story with David O'Sullivan is at the moment?

And it would appear that we have players that can step up to the mark in midfield and at centre back to fill the void left by Brick.

Anyone know what the story with David O'Sullivan is at the moment?

I think he is doing a Masters in Smurfit so maybe he might have been playing with UCD? He could be injured too for all i know

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

He was there last Sunday anyway. Just not togged out.

Ah right, according to the Examiner he played corner forward against CIT!

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more. Id be hoping Kevin Moran can step up to the mark at centre back this year and free Brick further up the field to compensate for the presence and experience lost the last couple of seasons. Moran is imo opinion more of a natural centre back anyway its just the Brick is such a great reader of the game he can dominate in any position.

open your eyes,put on your listening ears

Listened to Mullanes interview on rteradio sport the other night thats good enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

deise_girl wrote: »
    Haha I didnt realise it was an all girls school :P

Awks for me..

No worries. I am sure that there is many in the west of the county that dont know if the schools in Tramore or Waterford city are single sex or mixed schools.

deisedude wrote: »
    Wouldn't read much into that. Power and O'Keefe are tied up with the colleges at the moment

But if he keeps up his form, Michael Ryan and his selectors could find it hard to drop him for Power or O'Keeffe for the league, which might be a good thing. We need as many players in every position pushing hard for a place in the starting team.

John Fogarty seems to have shares in Ink and Paper companies. Last year if anyone cares to remember he broke a story before the Munster Final that Davy was offered a new Contract to be Waterford manager. There was no truth in the world in this. He might be offered a contract by one member of the board but most of the board could not wait to get rid of Davy.

Listened to Mullanes interview on rteradio sport the other night thats good enough for me
    jesus you would believe anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

jesus you would believe anything

Mullane will be back prob weekend after paddys day,he's not finished playing for waterford and hasnt even considered retiring i can assure you that.

Mullane will be back prob weekend after paddys day,he's not finished playing for waterford and hasnt even considered retiring i can assure you that.
    would not doubt it sulk will be well over then

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Sulk??? why would Mullane be sulking now

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Please find listed below Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Clare on Sunday next in Walsh Park at 2.00pm in the Semi Final of the Waterford Crystal Cup

1. Adrian Power Ballyduff Upper
    2. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    3. Declan Prendergast Ardmore 4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    7. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    8. Dean Twomey De La Salle
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Michael Walsh Capt Stradbally
    12. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    13. Martin O’Neill Mt. Sion
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15.. Eoin McGrath Mount Sion

IanVW wrote: »
    Please find listed below Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Clare on Sunday next in Walsh Park at 2.00pm in the Semi Final of the Waterford Crystal Cup

1. Adrian Power Ballyduff Upper
    2. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    3. Declan Prendergast Ardmore 4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    7. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    8. Dean Twomey De La Salle
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Michael Walsh Capt Stradbally
    12. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    13. Martin O’Neill Mt. Sion
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15.. Eoin McGrath Mount Sion

Decent enough looking side. Would have thought Declan Declan at full back, Seamus at wing forward, and Eoin McGrath at corner forward were all known quantities, but perhaps we will be surprised later in the year :)

In any case, worth a look on Sunday, to have a look at the cut of some of the panel at this point.

Anyone know if Richie Foley has gotten a look in yet this year ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement