Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

skaface wrote: »
    ;) We can talk all day about what this manager does and what that manager
    and coach does in training, but at the end of the day it,s up to the PLAYERS
    .Once they cross that WHITE LINE, it,s up to them to perform. If them lads
    don,t have the DESIRE & HUNGER to bring Liam mc Carthy back over the River
    Suir for the first time since 59 - There must be something wrong.. Hopefully
    with a manager from within our own county, he will be able to instill that into
    our players.. the talent is there.

UP THE DEISE

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Not sure its that big of an issue tbh, I'll just take Tipp as an example Declan Ryan won AI medals in three different decades, and Tommy Dunne won an AI and HOTY in 2001, yet they are under serious pressure in Tipp and seem to be struggling somewhat, compare to their predecessor Liam Sheedy who was really only a squad player for a few seasons, I think 1997 was really the only year he held a regualr place on the first 15 and that was because of a few injuries.

Even look at other sports, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho neither played soccer to any significant level but both have reached the very top as managers, its a completely different skill set and personally I dont think its an issue.

Point taken, Wenger and Mourinho are great examples outside the Sport, but the examples are far and few between. Yes, we've had Cyril Farrell in Galway and Boylan in Meath but 90%+ managers come with a playing pedigree and I think that more often than not this impacts on the respect that players have for the Mgt. I was relating this to the point I made about last Sundays performance which lacked the effort of a team with respect for Mgt.

Declan Ryan and Dunne might be under pressure to get results but the players are going to fight tooth an nail for the next while just to make a panel. Right now you'd be forgiven for thinking the Waterford players know themselves who's going to make their panel.

Sheedy, a very good corner back all the same, who played on a team that was very unlucky not to have won at least 1 All-ireland. I'm sure John Leahy will forever wish to have a goal at his mercy not only once but twice like he did against Clare in '97. The Munster and All-ireland finals for posters not old enough to remember. Sheedy also proved himself as Tipps minor manager and I think he got alot of credit for Dunnes managerial success with the minors and 21s.

Have to agree with you that there is no hard and fast rule about a Mgr's background but having it with man Mgt. skills such as Sheedy is a more likely recipe for success.

Didn't Cody go through an early spell of pressure as well.
    Every Manager gets a dose of pressure at some point. It's up to them to manage that pressure.

I said at the end of last year that Waterford would need to go through a transition of sorts which at the time was my reasoning for forecasting that Clare would be stronger than Waterford in 2012 as, as a team they were further along their transition. I still stand by this.

If the Waterford Co. Board and Ryan himself were smart a little propaganda along the lines of saying that the team needed to be rebuilt with upcoming talent around the likes of Brick Walsh, Mullane, Connors, Moran etc it would have dispelled alot of cause for concern.

He could have also rested some of the 'definites' for the Championship.
    - it would saved him face with how the Mullane thing was handled
    - an opportunity to try out the O'Gormans etc.

As you know yourself, sometimes a player plays better at County level than Club level. Ryan has missed so many opportunities on so many counts. It's ok to miss 1 or 2 but not any more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    I'm sure John Leahy will forever wish to have a goal at his mercy not only once but twice like he did against Clare in '97. The Munster and All-ireland finals for posters not old enough to remember.

Ah now theres no need to be bringing the dirt into it, jaysus that is below the belt, them scars havent fully healed you know :mad: I still wake up in the middle of the night screaming at him to go across the goalie :D

Did you know that he actually missed a third one for he's club Mullinahone that cost them a county final that year aswell, no wonder he hit the bottle!

I wouldn't wish those misses on any player!!!! They are forever haunting for Tipp fans. Saw him as a 16 year old in Croker in 87 in a minor semi final which ye won. He was destined for senior hurling from day 1. My Dad grew up next door with the Sheedys in Portroe hence all the Tipp games I went to as a young (Clare) fella.
    Leahy for all his faults has been one of the modern day greats for Tipp not to mention the influence he's had on his club and on hurlers coming out of Mullinahone.

Back to Waterford.
    There was a Barron young fella, a minor who put in some serious performances last year at Senior club level. What's the story on him? These are the type of guys you want in the peripheries of a panel. It's amazing how they can develop into intercounty hurlers in a year or two and you still have a very young hurler by any standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

solarith wrote: »
    No.

"NO" to what ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    I wouldn't wish those misses on any player!!!! They are forever haunting for Tipp fans. Saw him as a 16 year old in Croker in 87 in a minor semi final which ye won. He was destined for senior hurling from day 1. My Dad grew up next door with the Sheedys in Portroe hence all the Tipp games I went to as a young (Clare) fella.
    Leahy for all his faults has been one of the modern day greats for Tipp not to mention the influence he's had on his club and on hurlers coming out of Mullinahone.

Back to Waterford.
    There was a Barron young fella, a minor who put in some serious performances last year at Senior club level. What's the story on him? These are the type of guys you want in the peripheries of a panel. It's amazing how they can develop into intercounty hurlers in a year or two and you still have a very young hurler by any standards.

Leaving Cert.

How would you rate him? Has the potential?

Well, he was Waterford minor hurler of the year last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Ah yeah sure the whole county does, sure that's why we nominated you spokesperson!

If you look at the two posts I've quoted there I'd be grateful, because maybe then you could stop and think about what you're saying. The first was Giveitfong's take on the situation which arose after the news broke of Kelly being dropped and the O'Gorman's being brought on. I edited out most fo the Kelly stuff because it's irrelevant in what I'm trying to say. I think you were very much so included in the first line of what was said. For your information, that post got 11 thanks, 10 if you don't count mine.

The post underneath was a response from Deise Davy, where said things similar to what you're saying. That got 1 thank.

Are you saying that most of the people on this forum are fron FMW/The Nire?

Fair enough, your opinion, but then you keep on wrongly suggesting I am. As I've said a million times I'm from a neighbouring parish, but know several people from that area. I go to the games with them sometimes. They tell me things about their players and I listen.

The fact is you keep trying to pin a non-existent bias for Fourmilewater to me in order to disguise your bias against Michael Ryan. I already did criticise the management for Sunday, something you conveniently ignored. However, I'm not about to suggest 'I dont know where we are going this year' or that 'the management doesnt have a clue' on the basis of one meaningless game. I wonder would you have taken Sunday as seriously if Davy Fitzgerald was in charge...or anybody else for that matter.

By the way, I know you've probably been working away hard at it, but i feel it's about time you produced the names of those 50 players...no wait sorry it was 250, that are better than the O'Gormans! :rolleyes:

Put it this way if you asked me to name the 250 best hurlers in waterford I wouldnt have even thought to include either of them and Id know pretty much every senior club inside out and the best players from each club at intermediate junior grade so I stand by that statement. You probably would have because your from 'a neighbouring parish':rolleyes:

I just notice that any criticism of anything from that club/area your quick to defend it thats all. If your from a neighbouring parish theres certainly little or no parish rivalry anyway in fact quite the opposite! If your reverting to 'thanks' underneath statements to back up your opinions then u kno ur clutching at straws!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Put it this way if you asked me to name the 250 best hurlers in waterford I wouldnt have even thought to include either of them and Id know pretty much every senior club inside out and the best players from each club at intermediate junior grade so I stand by that statement.

You keep saying this. Name your 250 so and back it up

Put it this way if you asked me to name the 250 best hurlers in waterford I wouldnt have even thought to include either of them and Id know pretty much every senior club inside out and the best players from each club at intermediate junior grade so I stand by that statement. You probably would have because your from 'a neighbouring parish':rolleyes:

I just notice that any criticism of anything from that club/area your quick to defend it thats all. If your from a neighbouring parish theres certainly little or no parish rivalry anyway in fact quite the opposite! If your reverting to 'thanks' underneath statements to back up your opinions then u kno ur clutching at straws!

If you can then why not do it?

If I were to say I can name the best 250 players in Waterford and then rule out two that are currently on the panel, don't you think my credibility would decrease enormously if I continued to suggest that without actually even attempting to name them?

And I really don't see how, it's a clear indicator as to who agrees with what post.

Anyway, you got your way as the O'Gormans are back playing football it would appear as themselves and Patrick and Gary Hurney are on the Munster inter-provincial football panel.

As I've already said I criticised managment for Sunday. I lended Michael Ryan my support at the end, because I thought it ludicrous that Jason Ryan would be brought in and still at the same time felt we needed a Waterford man. However, I only did so at the very end, and I made a strong argument against you because your reasons for him not getting the job were ridiculous and made it look as though you've a personal grievance with him, which has been recognized be other posters on this page.

The only other time I was drawn into commenting on a player or person tied to the Fourmilewater club was Liam Lawlor, and after initial disagreement it would appear that once he was actually given a chance he proved that he is the best option at full back available for Waterford at the moment.

It's funny how people react to opinions on this page though I have to say. When I defended Clinton Hennessey last year he was suddenly my father! :rolleyes:

woooooooooooooooooooooh:eek:!!!!

If I were to say I can name the best 250 players in Waterford and then rule out two that are currently on the panel, don't you think my credibility would decrease enormously if I continued to suggest that without actually even attempting to name them?

And I really don't see how, it's a clear indicator as to who agrees with what post.

Anyway, you got your way as the O'Gormans are back playing football it would appear as themselves and Patrick and Gary Hurney are on the Munster inter-provincial football panel.

As I've already said I criticised managment for Sunday. I lended Michael Ryan my support at the end, because I thought it ludicrous that Jason Ryan would be brought in and still at the same time felt we needed a Waterford man. However, I only did so at the very end, and I made a strong argument against you because your reasons for him not getting the job were ridiculous and made it look as though you've a personal grievance with him, which has been recognized be other posters on this page.

The only other time I was drawn into commenting on a player or person tied to the Fourmilewater club was Liam Lawlor, and after initial disagreement it would appear that once he was actually given a chance he proved that he is the best option at full back available for Waterford at the moment.

It's funny how people react to opinions on this page though I have to say. When I defended Clinton Hennessey last year he was suddenly my father! :rolleyes:

forgive the sarcasm above just couldnt resist... nah Ive seen Barron play he looks a real prospect to be fair... hed get in my top 250 any....:D

forgive the sarcasm above just couldnt resist... nah Ive seen Barron play he looks a real prospect to be fair... hed get in my top 250 any....:D

Jees he must be good so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

What time is the WD V LK match on Saturday night lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Throw in at 7. Official switching on of the lights at 6-45

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Hold on there, Patrick Hurney in the Munster football panel!? They must be very stuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

detective wrote: »
    What time is the WD V LK match on Saturday night lads?

Challenge match is it?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Challenge match is it?

Yep

Waterford Senior Hurling Team (Below) to play Limerick tomorrow night (Saturday) at 7 pm in Fraher Field. This match is being held in conjunction with the official switching on of the Fraher Field Floodlights at 6.45pm by GAA President, Christy Cooney.

Admission E10 (no passes). U16's FOC. ALL PROCEEDS TO TEAM TRAINING FUND.

1. Ian O’Regan Mount Sion
    2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Darragh Fives Tourin
    4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    7. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    8. Stephen Molumphy Ballyduff Upper
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Michael Walsh Stradbally CAPTAIN
    12. Paudie Mahony Ballygunner
    13. Martin O’Neill Mount Sion
    14. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    15. Shane Casey Dunhill

Looks a more settled side than previous games:)

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Hold on there, Patrick Hurney in the Munster football panel!? They must be very stuck!

According to Beat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Twixaroo wrote: »
    Think he's doing a J1 in the summer so that's why he's dropped himself off it. Had a good season last year and thought he would push on this but now the door opens for the other youngsters!

What's the story with Philip Mahony? He's not with a college as far as I know but yet hasn't been involved at all so far has he? Is he injured?

Ermm I think he is still in UCC, just hes after injuring his knee! No idea how serious it is or anything, just remember reading stuff on his twitter about it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

IanVW wrote: »
    Waterford Senior Hurling Team (Below) to play Limerick tomorrow night (Saturday) at 7 pm in Fraher Field. This match is being held in conjunction with the official switching on of the Fraher Field Floodlights at 6.45pm by GAA President, Christy Cooney.

2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Darragh Fives Tourin
    4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    15. Shane Casey Dunhill

Can still see us being beaten by Limerick even with this team. The NHL game vs Cork next weekend is going to to be a do or die game for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can still see us being beaten by Limerick even with this team. The NHL game vs Cork next weekend is going to to be a do or die game for us.

First game of the league, do or die??

Can everyone relax, it's bloody February....some people on here are an absolute embarrassment and a complete laughing stock.

Give the man a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newbie_deise

i think its great waterford have 5 players on the panel this year, in my opinion all of the 5 are the best footballers in waterford at the moment and deserve there chance,

i think its great waterford have 5 players on the panel this year, in my opinion all of the 5 are the best footballers in waterford at the moment and deserve there chance,

Who is the other? Briggs or Ó Lionáin?

From what I've seen of Paul Whyte I reckon he'd have to come into consideration for being in the top 5 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newbie_deise

Who is the other? Briggs or Ó Lionáin?
    shane briggs,liam o lionain is injured at the moment,i fancy the footballers to beat wicklow in 2 weeks!!

shane briggs,liam o lionain is injured at the moment,i fancy the footballers to beat wicklow in 2 weeks!!

Hopefully now with the twins back they'll push for promotion.

2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Darragh Fives Tourin
    4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    15. Shane Casey Dunhill

Interesting that Paul O'Brien seems to be getting a good run in the team, as does O'Regan. This suggests that both are heavily in managements plans a week before the NHL.
    I dont rate either O'Sullivan or Nagle as wing backs though. Nagle very loose O'Sullivan more effective at midfield/half forward. Its good to see fives being tried at full back I think he has the makings of a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Interesting that Paul O'Brien seems to be getting a good run in the team, as does O'Regan. This suggests that both are heavily in managements plans a week before the NHL.
    I dont rate either O'Sullivan or Nagle as wing backs though. Nagle very loose O'Sullivan more effective at midfield/half forward. Its good to see fives being tried at full back I think he has the makings of a good one

I agree with you on Sully and Nagle alright. And Sully has come into his own in the last couple of seasons and put in some excellent performances for us. Great to see Ringo back involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Could'nt make Dungarvan anyone know how are things going hopefully a better preformance than last Sunday

Waterford 1.15 to Limericks 14 points.
    Waterford scored 6 points in the 2nd half compared to Limericks 12

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

deise_girl wrote: »
    Waterford 1.15 to Limericks 14 points.
    Waterford scored 6 points in the 2nd half compared to Limericks 12

Although only a challenge nice to see us back to winning ways, you could also say Limerick only scored 2 points in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Any subs used in the game? The named side did not seem wildly experimental, and we shall need to discover (or redisover) more than Iggy O'Regan and Paul O'Brien this year..

Any reason for the poor second half performances, perhaps heavy training/ wholesale substitutions? Not something I would be overly concerned with at this time of year, but just curious :)

Any reason for the poor second half performances, perhaps heavy training/ wholesale substitutions? Not something I would be overly concerned with at this time of year, but just curious :)

The ever present wind in Fraher Field was probably one. That and I'd imagine Limerick got a bit of roasting in the dressing room having only scored two points in the first half.

But I'm only guessing

Any subs used in the game? The named side did not seem wildly experimental, and we shall need to discover (or redisover) more than Iggy O'Regan and Paul O'Brien this year..

Philip Mahoney came on for Noel Connors in the first half, looked like his hamstring gave up on him. Mahoney played alright there I thought.
    Dean Twomey came on for Paul O Brien at the start of the 2nd, Paul had a good first half, one of the best ive seen him.. Twomey was pretty blehh
    Thomas Ryan came on at the start of the 2nd half iswell for Martin O Neill, he got a good point and made a few runs and passes..
    Gavin O Brien came on for Maurice in the second half. and once he settled did himself proud. He got 3 or 4 points (though some were frees) but got a really good point off his man too..
    And Eoin McGrath came on for Shane Casey near the end too, he wasnt too bad, but it was a typical Eoin McGrath performance.

Limerick brought of Downes and Dowling in the 2nd half which made a huge impact.. And as Mountain said the wind was strong..

Oh yea and in the first 20 minutes we got 2 penalties..
    Martin O Neill took the first and it went over the bar and Paudie Mahoney took the second and it was blocked down.. Something else to sort out.
    Also Connors and Maurice went off with injuries so fingers crossed they didnt damage themselves too bad, we dont need any more out.

Sorry for the little pieces of info.. Im sure someone else will post a report. But no way am I able to write a full on thing about it >.<

The ever present wind in Fraher Field was probably one. That and I'd imagine Limerick got a bit of roasting in the dressing room having only scored two points in the first half.

But I'm only guessing

Ha ha, here's hoping we aren't too leaden-footed or lethargic when we travel to Cork next weekend
    deise_girl wrote: »
    Philip Mahoney came on for Noel Connors in the first half, looked like his hamstring gave up on him. Mahoney played alright there I thought.
    Dean Twomey came on for Paul O Brien at the start of the 2nd, Paul had a good first half, one of the best ive seen him.. Twomey was pretty blehh
    Thomas Ryan came on at the start of the 2nd half iswell for Martin O Neill, he got a good point and made a few runs and passes..
    Gavin O Brien came on for Maurice in the second half. and once he settled did himself proud. He got 3 or 4 points (though some were frees) but got a really good point off his man too..
    And Eoin McGrath came on for Shane Casey near the end too, he wasnt too bad, but it was a typical Eoin McGrath performance.

Limerick brought of Downes and Dowling in the 2nd half which made a huge impact.. And as Mountain said the wind was strong..

Cheers for the update, deisegirl, would seem from recent matches we will be seeing more of Twomey during the league perhaps. Good to see Philip get a run out, and hopefully Noel and Maurice are alright, if it was injury caused them to leave the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

dboss wrote: »
    And Michael Ryan was not involved in the Fourmilewater setup last year.
    Michael Ryan was involved with Fourmilewater last year i seen him at one match
    goin down from the stand telling the fourmile selectors what to do ![/QUOTE]

I went to see a number of Fourmilewater games last year. Does that mean i was involved in the team?

Michael Ryan was at a number of Fourmilewater games in the same capacity as me last year, to see a game of hurling.

A good player, but would not read too much into the underage awards presented each year by the adult county board. The winner is usually someone that those charged with picking the winners saw playing well in a county final.

hardybuck wrote: »

Why, he is a good player.

2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Darragh Fives Tourin
    4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    15. Shane Casey Dunhill

Would love to know who came up with this idea of no passes tonight. Another kick in the teeth by our county board to some of its supporters.

A number of years back when the then board was building the stands at Fraher Field and in Walsh Park, a number of supporters, pre celtic tiger days, and when money was as tight as it is now, dug into their pockets and gave the Board £1,000 and in return the then County Board told those that helped them out that they would have free admission to every game played in the county from 1995 to 2020 provided the game was not all ticket. There was two all ticket games in this time, the '95 or was it '96 championship game against Tipp at Walsh Park and the Under 21 Munster Final in Fraher Field in 09. If those that gave the county board there money back in 94 and 95 wanted to attend tonights game they had to dig into their pocket despite what they were told in the past. People like Referee's within the county who have a pass to get them into all games in the county each year were also asked to put their hand in their pocket if they wanted to go tonight.

Black Suir wrote: »
    A good player, but would not read too much into the underage awards presented each year by the adult county board. The winner is usually someone that those charged with picking the winners saw playing well in a county final.

Maybe. He was probably worth the award though.

Anyway, all I was doing was answering a question of what I thought of him with an acknowledgment of an accolade awarded for his performances, something which is a more authoritive mark of his ability then my own personal opinion.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Would love to know who came up with this idea of no passes tonight. Another kick in the teeth by our county board to some of its supporters.

A number of years back when the then board was building the stands at Fraher Field and in Walsh Park, a number of supporters, pre celtic tiger days, and when money was as tight as it is now, dug into their pockets and gave the Board £1,000 and in return the then County Board told those that helped them out that they would have free admission to every game played in the county from 1995 to 2020 provided the game was not all ticket. There was two all ticket games in this time, the '95 or was it '96 championship game against Tipp at Walsh Park and the Under 21 Munster Final in Fraher Field in 09. If those that gave the county board there money back in 94 and 95 wanted to attend tonights game they had to dig into their pocket despite what they were told in the past. People like Referee's within the county who have a pass to get them into all games in the county each year were also asked to put their hand in their pocket if they wanted to go tonight.

Look the main purpose of the game was to raise funds for the senior hurlers themselves. A worthy cause as lot of these lads have been part of a team that has given us a great sense of pride and enjoyment over the past 10 years and theres a lot of talented young players coming through on the panel that deserve a chance aswell. Times are tough we know that so it was a chance for the supporters to show support to these lads in difficult times. Remember were talking about ameteur players that operate at the fitness levels of professionals.
    No passes for one night was not the end of the world the reason most people went is to show support. €10 wasn't an OTT asking price either tbf. I mean a fiver a head wouldnt buy you a bag of sliothars! Its obvious your a bit disgusted that you didnt get in for free like you usually can so its lucky were not depending on the likes of you to keep the co. senior hurling team on the road!

ask not what your county can do for you.....

• Advertisement

Maybe. He was probably worth the award though.

Anyway, all I was doing was answering a question of what I thought of him with an acknowledgment of an accolade awarded for his performances, something which is a more authoritive mark of his ability then my own personal opinion.

Fully agree he was a worthy winner in 2011. My point however is i would not look too much into these awards. Some years back Kevin Moran won the award for underage footballer of the year, and the following year i understand he refused to play minor and under 21 football for Waterford. Another year Mitchell Casey won the award and it is my understanding that he went playing soccer for a few years after winning the award. I stand to be corrected on this point and if i am wrong i appolgise. My biggest gripe with the awards are that 9 times out of 10 when it comes to picking the underage awards they are done so on the performance of a player in one match. The same really with the special awards that they present. They go mostly to one of the Junior County Champions. The awards should not be for winning a title. What a club does off the field should also be looked at and come into the final reckoning as should someone that done lots of work in different ways for the Gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good to get the win last night I suppose, even if we seemed to shut off second half judging by the reports. I wonder could Darragh be an option for full back, as going by a few reports I read he seemed to do well. For the coming season, the FB line may look like Ringo, Lawlor and Connors so maybe Fives could go to wing back if not in the FB line.
    If SOS, Moran and Brick were playing last night, are they not supposed to be playing in the interprovincial game v Leinster today? Hopefully all will be injury free and rearing to go for next Saturday night, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

deisedude wrote: »
    You keep saying this. Name your 250 so and back it up
    Time to drop it. They were proven right by virtue of the O'Gormans rejoining the football panel. It wasn't anyone getting their way, it was either they decided to leave or they were cut. So stop pretending to demand a pointless list.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 1-15 Limerick 0-14

Waterford came with a late flourish to stave off a Limerick fightback and carve a deserved victory in this moderately entertaining game at Fraher Field on Saturday night. It was a bitterly cold night with a strongish wind blowing towards the river end of the pitch, and the pitch, while bumpy, was in far better condition than the Walsh Park bog of the previous Sunday.

Waterford had first use of the wind and dominated the first half to an extent not reflected in their half time 1-9 to 0-2 lead, as they managed only one point from two penalties (for fouls on Brick Walsh and Maurice Shanahan), with Martin O’Neill firing the first one just over the bar and Pauric Mahony having his rather poor effort easily saved on the line.

Maurice Shanahan shipped a heavy leg injury early on but, although clearly hampered, he was left on the field until halfway through the second half at full forward, which wouldn’t be his favourite position. Martin O’Neill got an excellent point from play in the first minute but thereafter was dominated by Limerick’s forceful and powerful corner back, Tom Condon. Shane Casey also made little impression in the other corner apart from a well-taken goal which finished off a good passing movement down the left wing.

The best player on the field in the first half was Paul O’Brien at midfield, who repeatedly gained possession and ran at the Limerick defence. He looks much stronger now than when he was on the panel a few years ago.

Limerick did get an amount of possession but could make no impact on a defence which was well marshalled by Kevin Moran at centre back. Despite reports that he himself was injured, Philip Mahony replaced the injured Noel Connors half way through the first half.

Paul O’Brien was replaced by Dean Twomey at half time, which not only deprived Waterford of their best player but effectively reduced the team to fourteen men as, repeating his performance of the previous week against Clare, Twomey hardly struck a ball in the second half. Tomás Ryan also came on for Martin O’Neill.

Limerick brought on Shane Dowling and Kevin Downes for the second half. Dowling contributed little from general play but his excellent free taking solved a problem for Limerick and he hit six pointed frees in all. Kevin Downes had a much more marked impact on the play, frequently winning possession and driving at the Waterford defence, and notching two points from play.

With the wind at their back, Limerick dominated the first 20 minutes of the second half as the Waterford effort slackened noticeably, similar to the previous week. However, the home side sparked to life in the last ten minutes, with Kevin Moran reawakening from a period of down time, and Stephen Molumphy upping his game in midfield where he was getting some good assistance from Pauric Mahony who had switched with Twomey. Brick Walsh also came more into the game in the last quarter.

However, the key figure in Waterford’s late surge was Gavin O’Brien who had come on for Maurice Shanahan. O’Brien scored two excellent points from play and was also given the free taking job in the closing minutes which he also performed expertly, landing two further points.

Interestingly, both teams scored the equivalent of twelve points when playing with the wind. The big difference, therefore, was that Waterford managed six points against the wind to Limerick’s two, and that four point difference was the gap between the teams at the final whistle.

A feature of this game was that Limerick did not threaten the Waterford goal during the entire game apart from one first half shot that went narrowly wide. This meant that Iggy O’Regan got little to do, although I was impressed with his pucking out into the wind in the second half. The Waterford full back line was generally in control, with Philip Mahony impressing when he came on in the right corner, especially in the second half. Darragh Fives generally kept Limerick’s big full forward Brian Geary quiet; although Geary did manage to gain possession on a few occasion, little came of these situations. Apart from a couple of slips, Ringo Kearney had an excellent game in the other corner, with his superb ball control and ability to get past players repeatedly catching the eye.

Jamie Nagle got a lot of possession in the half line but his use of it was frequently very poor. Shane O’Sullivan worked hard on the other wing. Up front Brick Walsh was a bit in and out of the game, but his value to the team at centre forward is potentially enormous due to his ability to draw frees, hold up the ball under pressure before passing to colleagues, and especially his ability to break through the opposing half back line leading to the creation of goal chances.

Pauric Mahony’s radar was a bit off target on the night (four wides from six shots) but he did work hard. Shane Casey ended the night with a creditable 1-1, and should have had a second goal in the second half but missed the target from an angle having been set up at the end of a good Waterford passing movement. Tomás Ryan played a key role in that movement, scored an excellent over-the-shoulder point and caused some problems for the Limerick defence when he came out the field looking for ball late in the game.

Eoin McGrath was a late substitute for Shane Casey. Déise Girl contradicted herself when reporting in the same sentence that it was a typical Eoin McGrath performance and that he “wasn’t too bad”. I would agree with the first part of that sentence.

Waterford: Ian O’Regan; Noel Connors; Darragh Fives; Aidan Kearney; Jamie Nagle; Kevin Moran; Shane O’Sullivan; Stephen Molumphy; Paul O’Brien; Maurice Shanahan; Michael Walsh (0-1); Pauric Mahony (0-2, 0-1 from free); Martin O’Neill (0-5, 0-4 from frees); Seamus Prendergast; Shane Casey (1-1). Substitutes: Philip Mahony for Connors; Dean Twomey for O’Brien; Tomás Ryan (0-1) for O’Neill; Gavin O’Brien (0-4, 0-2 from frees) for Shanahan; Eoin McGrath for Casey.

I didn’t keep track of the Limerick team, but they had Nicky Quaid in goal and I think Shane O’Neill, Richie McCarthy and definitely Tom Condon in the full back. Wayne McNamara and Gavin O’Mahony were in the half back line. Conor Allis wore number 6 but seemed to play in midfield. He took the frees in the first half with poor results, and overall scored one free and one point from play. Donal O’Grady put in a typical hard working performance in midfield while James Ryan at No. 11 also got a lot of possession. Declan Hannon didn’t play. Graeme Mulcahy was at No 12 but failed to score. The full forward was named as Niall Moran by the announcer but I am pretty sure it was Brian Geary who also failed to score. Mark Carmody at No 13 got one point and Mikey Ryan on the other wing got two. David Moloney (for Condon) and James O’Brien came on in the second half in addition to Dowling and Downes.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Doon CBS 2-6 Dungarvan CBS 0-11

Dungarvan CBS came up just short in this hard-fought and enthralling Munster Colleges Senior B final in Cahir on Saturday. Dungarvan got off to a good start despite playing into the wind and were 0-4 to 0-1 up at the end of the first quarter. Doon gradually worked their way back into the game and got a great fillip when, after an initial shot was brilliantly saved by goalie Eoin Kearns, a poor clearance by a defender went straight to the Doon centre forward who buried the ball in the net. Doon went in at half time 1-4 to 0-5 ahead, with both teams also hitting five wides.

Dungarvan again dominated the third quarter, after which they led 0-10 to 1-5. Indeed they could have put the game beyond Doon’s reach when an excellent passing movement put one of their forwards in on goal but unfortunately he shot straight at the keeper. Disaster then struck when a low through ball was not cut out and was eventually finished to the net to put Doon back in the lead.

Dungarvan threw everything they could at Doon in the closing stages but could make little impression on a defence in which centre back Sean Ryan was immense. Dungarvan got one great chance deep into injury time when another good passing movement gave one of their forwards a sight of goal but strangely he opted to tap the ball over the bar to reduce the lead to one point, only for the referee to blow full time on the subequent puckout.

While Dungarvan did have the chances to win this game (they shot ten wides in all), overall I thought Doon were the better team. They had a number of key players who were repeatedly able to win possession and they generally showed the better teamwork. Dungarvan had plenty of possession, but too often they went for the long ball down the centre which was meat and drink to Ryan at the heart of the Doon defence. However they have some fine hurlers who hopefully will be able to refocus in time for the Harty Cup final against Nenagh CBS in Cashel next Sunday for which they supply the bulk of the Coláistí na Déise team. We wish them all the best in their quest for a historic victory in this prestigious competition.

Dungarvan CBS: Eoin Kearns (St Marys); Keelan Looby (St Olivers); Tom Tobin (St Marys); Seán Hyslop (Dungarvan); Stephen Hally (Geraldines); Colin Dunford (Colligan) (0-1); Keith Healy (Dungarvan); Kieran Power (Kilrossanty); Cormac Curran (Brickeys) (0-1)’ Cathal Curran (Dungarvan) (0-6, 0-5 frees); Michael Harney (Bonmahon) (0-1); Michael Shine (St Olivers); Michael Kiely (St Marys) (0-1); Ryan Donnelly (Dungarvan); Patrick Curran (Dungarvan) (0-1). Substitute: Jack O’Donnell (Dungarvan).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement