Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Not to bothered who we play, be it Cork or Limerick.
    If we can play to our strengths and just be a bit more consistant for 70 mins
    i think we would fear neither Cork or Limerick, just hope we can lift it again for
    two weeks time.Thought the managment made a big mistake not letting Moran
    stay on Corbett in the second half, he ran Tony Browne all over the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Dissapointed. We played really well and i thought Tipp were there for the taking today but we just didnt kick on, instead they did. Tipp are like a well oiled machine, they are very measured in their passing and they seem to know where each other is at all times. We rely to much on spontaneity. We had a number of goal chances,but didnt take them, also missed a few goal chances against Clare, really need to be more clinical in front of goal. All that aside, if we play aswell the next day and take our chances more we have a good chance of reaching an All Ireland semi final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

limerick, cork and waterford are all about the same standard at the moment, i've a sneaky feeling limerick will draw kilkenny and run them close, which is a pity as i would expect limerick to knock over waterford if they drew them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

donfers wrote: »
    limerick, cork and waterford are all about the same standard at the moment, i've a sneaky feeling limerick will draw kilkenny and run them close, which is a pity as i would expect limerick to knock over waterford if they drew them
    I wouldnt like to face Limerick as they are on a nice roll. But i think we are better than them and cork. Also waterford will bounce back after today i wouldn't like to meet them being honest, just ask galway after last years quarter final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

I wouldnt like to face Limerick as they are on a nice roll. But i think we are better than them and cork. Also waterford will bounce back after today i wouldn't like to meet them being honest, just ask galway after last years quarter final

Think Limerick or Cork will beat Waterford, lots of miles ran up on that Deise team in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That second fcuking goal just killed us but what really put the final nail in our coffin was the 4 or 5 silly wides just after it. If we got those we could have gone into the last 5-10mins only a oint or two behind or even level.

Still, I'm happy enough with the effort the lads put in. We matched them in the first half and responded to their goal with some really good points but in the end, their class told and began to pull away and find the posts a bit easier than us.
    Moran, Brick, Molumphy, Philip Mahony, Mullane all did well IMO. Prendergast won some good ball too. In general, all the backs actually did quite well and snuffed out numerous goal chances. Not much went for Shane Walsh or GOB, they'll have better days, Paudric was ok but match fitness told when he was subbed. We just couldn't get that goal we badly needed in the last 20mins. To be fair the Tipp backs did well to keep us out and Cummins made some good stops.

Overall, not too disheartened. Cork or Limerick next, won't mind which. I'll just be happy that it'll be in Thurles at least. We'd have no fear of either and fancy our chances, just as they would too tbh. Well done lads, ye gave it a good lash, few pints tonight, back training on Tuesday and heads down for a 1/4 final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I rate Waterford fairly highly, but you can be sure that neither Cork or Limerick will collapse like Galway last year. Galway were a very poor team last year, their performances against Dublin and Waterford were absolutely disgraceful. They hid behind wins against even poorer Clare and Cork teams. Luckily all 3 teams have come on a long way this year which makes for a more competitive championship.

I think that whoever plays Waterford it will be a cracking match. The Munster Championship delivered 4 brilliant games this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So much waste :( 4 bad wides from frees, clumsy wides from play, 2/3 clear goal chances wasted because they just wouldnt pass the fcuking ball :mad:
    And that was all in the space of about 15 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

For Waterford it was certainly a game of 2 halves, first half was very good, second half very poor. After a rousing finish to the first half I thought we could kick on the second, but ultimately extremely poor shooting and also decisions when attacking cost us dearly. A return of 16 points in a championship game is simply not good enough at all and only 5 in the second half is terrible. Moran was fantastic, should have stayed on Lar for the second half, other strong performances from Molumphy, Seamus and Maurice (apart from his free taking), O Keeffe in goals, Mullane and Connors.

Mixed emotions overall, its a big improvement on last year, and now we are on the opposite side of KK in the draw, but we were in with a right chance up till the 2nd Tipp goal. Plenty for them to work on ahead of the quarter final, but if we can improve our shooting and put 2 halves in like the first half today we have every chance of making an All Ireland semi final

Also, never again will I go to Pairc Ui Caoimh for a championship match in its current guise. Absolute shambles of a place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

So much waste :( 4 bad wides from frees, clumsy wides from play, 2/3 clear goal chances wasted because they just wouldnt pass the fcuking ball :mad:
    And that was all in the space of about 15 minutes!
    spot on

Kevin Moran RTE MOTM, delighted for him, he was brilliant and he so often doesnt get the praise he deserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Think Limerick or Cork will beat Waterford, lots of miles ran up on that Deise team in the last 10 years.

Do you work for RTE by any chance? Am absolutely sick of this constant reference to Waterford's 'veterans', mainly driven by RTE's pathetic pre and post match reports. After the Clare game they had a headline about Waterford's 'veterans' being delighted with victory and then included quotes from Richie Foley! This is lazy journalism at its worst and unfortunately seems to be influencing people's opinion on the team. Apart from Tony and maybe Seamus, this team has plenty of life in it, with a whole raft of young players (O'Keeffe, Daniels, Connors, both Mahonys, O'Brien, O'Neill, Shanahan etc) breaking through and acquitting themselves well.

I thought we deserved more today and frankly the 7 point gap at the end was no reflection on the game. We turned in a very committed display and caused Tipp an awful lot of problems, as many of the Tipp fans I spoke to would attest. Unfortunately we lost our composure in the second half when we got in good positions, firing numerous wides, and Tipp picked us off with some excellent scores. Ultimately the goals and the influence of Tipp's Eoin Kelly when he came on swung the game in their favour.

Overall, bar the clear improvements needed in front of goal, I thought it was a very encouraging display, with Lawlor, Connors and Moran standing out in particular. The commitment and physical intensity was brilliant and the crowd really responded to it. It was great to see us back playing hurling like we know we can rather than being suffocated by a tactical straitjacket. With a bit more composure in front of goal we could have pulled it off today.

As for the draw tomorrow, I'd prefer Cork for the simple reason that Cork Deise games have an atmosphere that is tough to match and something that would really get people from both counties very excited. I don't believe there is a lot between Limerick, Cork and ourselves. Today was certainly a step in the right direction despite the defeat. I think the lads will take a lot from it and hopefully with a bit more composure and a bit more luck we can drive on to the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Not much to say really but Tipp deserved their win so well done to them. Happy enough with our performance overall but Shanahan's missed 3 or 4 easy frees were awful, how did he miss those, you couldn't get any easier than those frees. Was it me or did the Tipp support not seem that bothered at the final whistle, I suppose they are just used to it, but barely any celebrations out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

Not much to say really but Tipp deserved their win so well done to them. Happy enough with our performance overall but Shanahan's missed 3 or 4 easy frees were awful, how did he miss those, you couldn't get any easier than those frees. Was it me or did the Tipp support not seem that bothered at the final whistle, I suppose they are just used to it, but barely any celebrations out of them.

I'd say most Tipp fans felt as I did, that they didn't fire today (and weren't let). Poor hurling from our point of view and well done to Waterford for MOTM performance as none of our guys (apart from Cummins) actually cut it today.

On another note, did anyone try to get out from Ballintemple to South Ring? What an awful venue if it can't facilitate the exodus after a (smallish) Munster final! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very fearful of Limerick and Cork. The Quarters will probly be a double header on Sun 29th July in Thurles if we draw Limerick it will probly be on at 2pm and If we draw cork it will prob be on at 4pm.

If we play like we did in the second half today than our championship is over for 2012.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    very fearful of Limerick and Cork. The Quarters will probly be a double header on Sun 29th July in Thurles if we draw Limerick it will probly be on at 2pm and If we draw cork it will prob be on at 4pm.

If we play like we did in the second half today than our championship is over for 2012.

Absolutely no surprise from the resident pessimist of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Personally, very proud of the lads tonight, great first half, in fact as good a game of huring in the first half as there has been this season. There was great belief early on in the Waterford team, and there was no fear of Tipp, great to see. We are not as strong in depth as Tipp and that proved the difference in the end. The 6 backs were excellent, Shanahan had a great game apart from those missed frees, Prender was awesome, Mullane was in and out, similar to his display vs Clare, I thought Gavin O'Brien did well in the first half, won a good bit of possesion, I still think he will shine further out the field where he can really display his skills, again the difference in the end was the subs, Eoin Kelly (0-1)for Tipp and Shane Bourke (1-1), as against our Eoin Kelly who squandered two goal chances and a missed free and Paul O'Brien who offered very little. Anyway, lets look forward to the qualifiers, this might not be the year we make another breakthrough, but its not far away. Well done to Michael Ryan, might not have got it perfect today, but at least we looked like a team that could hurl with the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

would love to play cork....

Enlighten me? The average age of the team is mid 20s.... Of the starters only 3 where on d team 10 year ago and we've introduced around 8 new players since championship 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Enlighten me? The average age of the team is mid 20s.... Of the starters only 3 where on d team 10 year ago and we've introduced around 8 new players since championship 2010.

If anything Waterford are a young team with lots of players coming through and there should be a fair few more in the next few years, hopefully. The only obvious loss will be Mullane when he retires probably in the next year or 2. Ok Tony aswell but he hasnt been exactly ''the main man'' for a few years anyway even though he's still playing well. Im sick of pundits and people in other counties describing Waterford as an ageing team for the last decade, Flynn, Dan Shan, Ken(you would have said are irreplaceable) have all retired but we are still having guys coming in replacing them who are good enough and we are still remaining competitive so far as reaching Munster Finals and AI semi finals.This shows that we are producing playes and will remain a serious force in hurling for years to come. Contrast this to the Wexford, Offaly and Clare teams of the 90's, after their 'golden generation' teams the guys who came after them havent been good enough and they just went back to where they were before. It's almost as if the rest of the hurling world thinks about Waterford, ''Ok lads ye had a few good years,just a lucky period with good players and good teams, now its time just to go back and be useless again like you were before''. Aint gonna happen folks, we're here to stay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

doz wrote: »
    Do you work for RTE by any chance? Am absolutely sick of this constant reference to Waterford's 'veterans', mainly driven by RTE's pathetic pre and post match reports. After the Clare game they had a headline about Waterford's 'veterans' being delighted with victory and then included quotes from Richie Foley! This is lazy journalism at its worst and unfortunately seems to be influencing people's opinion on the team. Apart from Tony and maybe Seamus, this team has plenty of life in it, with a whole raft of young players (O'Keeffe, Daniels, Connors, both Mahonys, O'Brien, O'Neill, Shanahan etc) breaking through and acquitting themselves well.

I thought we deserved more today and frankly the 7 point gap at the end was no reflection on the game. We turned in a very committed display and caused Tipp an awful lot of problems, as many of the Tipp fans I spoke to would attest. Unfortunately we lost our composure in the second half when we got in good positions, firing numerous wides, and Tipp picked us off with some excellent scores. Ultimately the goals and the influence of Tipp's Eoin Kelly when he came on swung the game in their favour.

Overall, bar the clear improvements needed in front of goal, I thought it was a very encouraging display, with Lawlor, Connors and Moran standing out in particular. The commitment and physical intensity was brilliant and the crowd really responded to it. It was great to see us back playing hurling like we know we can rather than being suffocated by a tactical straitjacket. With a bit more composure in front of goal we could have pulled it off today.

As for the draw tomorrow, I'd prefer Cork for the simple reason that Cork Deise games have an atmosphere that is tough to match and something that would really get people from both counties very excited. I don't believe there is a lot between Limerick, Cork and ourselves. Today was certainly a step in the right direction despite the defeat. I think the lads will take a lot from it and hopefully with a bit more composure and a bit more luck we can drive on to the semi final.
    That's the game as I saw it spot on from me. I taught Tony Browne was great coming off he got the cheer of the day even from the Tipp fans. Good sporting game but I have to say Cork is a nightmare to get out of if you park over the bridge which I did because of the rain. We still have hope .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Optimist eternal

That was a refreshing display by Waterford. They showed that they are as good as ever. Probably didn't deserve to win with that display, but they could have sneaked it with a little bit more composure. All in all, I was disappointed, but not disheartened. I think if the team can get a little more belief in themselves.....well, who knows. We're still with a shout in this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

It was a very enjoyable game which for most of either team could win. The second goal effectively finished it as a contest. In saying that though, the lads kept on trying but nothing was going right for them. On another day we wouldn't hit those wides and would have taken a goal chance or two. Tipp definitely deserved to win it and fair play to them but I dont think the scoreline did Waterford justice. The general consensus of a lot of Tipp lads on AFR is that "Tipps class shone through all over the field". I certainly wouldn't agree with that. I thought that it was a pretty much evenly matched game for most of it.

A few things to note. I thought Maurice Shanahan had an excellent game but I can't for the life of me understand why he is allowed to take frees. He is just not a good free taker and misses a few easy ones in most games. I think yesterday also proved that its too early for Gavin O'Brien. Ive no doubt he can be an excellent player for us but at the moment he is way too light and was no threat to a physically strong team like Tipp.

I also thought that it was wonderful the reception several Tipp fans around me gave Tony Browne coming off with several of them standing up and clapping. Lar started to get the better of him in a crucial period of the second half but I think Tony went better than a lot of people thought he would. Also Lar can get the better of anyone at the endbof the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Cork it will be in the in the quarter final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

All-Ireland Hurling Quarter final draws,

Waterford V Cork
    Kilkenny V Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Black Suir wrote: »
    All-Ireland Hurling Quarter final draws,

Waterford V Cork
    Kilkenny V Limerick

gaa confirmed double header

almost certainly a case of Sunday 29th Thurles at 4.00pm with the Kkenny game at 2

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

they think its the end of the road now with kk waiting presuming they win quarter final OUCH

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

i usually hate speculation on dates/times etc but last week tickets.ie and ticketmaster.ie were selling quarter final/semi final tickets for the hurling for croke park. i presume anybody that bought them would get a similar ticket for thurles if thats confirmed as venue later today. just seems like a lot of hassle.

hope its thurles sunday week and having the weather would make a day of it too!:D

Cake Man wrote: »
    Cork it will be in the in the quarter final.

Cork will be huge favourites but it is a 50/50 game in reality. Galway in the semi then. Win two 50/50 games and we are in the final boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Proud of Waterford... They deserved the praise and so is the Manager, Well done to the deise boys... They will be back for sure. Congratualtions to the Tipp, they are top class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

Now that the dust has settled, i really enjoyed the game we were right there with a great chance of winning unlike last year. so fair Fks to management Ryan, Cullinane & McGrath they have the team playing a brand of hurling that keeps ye on the edge of your seat, roaring the lads on. I know they could have done this or that but we are all on the ditch not down there in the heat of a Munster final again well done lads. Now for the LANGERS !!!

The Langers it is then :)

would have no fear of cork what so ever

Hon the deise

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

Free taking will have to improve. Stick Dowling on that Deise team and it could have been much closer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a feeling cork mite just about shade it. Nobody is giving Waterford a chance. Cork have huge firepower this year and a problem we have is that we don't score enough. Our freetaking needs to improve, we need to start scoring goals. Remember in 1999 a young cork team (something similar to this years team) beat us in the championship with the one and only jbm as manager.

I think Thurles will be the venue. Our only chance of seeing croke park is if we make the semis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

it shows were as good as the best if we can perform for the FULL 70 MINUTES. not complaining here, but we need a massive improvement on the 2nd half performance to have any chance of beating cork. I think Mahony will be on frees the next day, but i dont mind who it is, Maurice could never have another day as bad on them. Finally i'd like to congratulate tony browne, he proved a lot of people on this wrong with his performance yesterday

WumBuster wrote: »
    If anything Waterford are a young team with lots of players coming through and there should be a fair few more in the next few years, hopefully. The only obvious loss will be Mullane when he retires probably in the next year or 2. Ok Tony aswell but he hasnt been exactly ''the main man'' for a few years anyway even though he's still playing well. Im sick of pundits and people in other counties describing Waterford as an ageing team for the last decade, Flynn, Dan Shan, Ken(you would have said are irreplaceable) have all retired but we are still having guys coming in replacing them who are good enough and we are still remaining competitive so far as reaching Munster Finals and AI semi finals.This shows that we are producing playes and will remain a serious force in hurling for years to come. Contrast this to the Wexford, Offaly and Clare teams of the 90's, after their 'golden generation' teams the guys who came after them havent been good enough and they just went back to where they were before. It's almost as if the rest of the hurling world thinks about Waterford, ''Ok lads ye had a few good years,just a lucky period with good players and good teams, now its time just to go back and be useless again like you were before''. Aint gonna happen folks, we're here to stay!
    Ditto, well said

we have a young enough side too.and going off yesterdays first half display,

if we can keep the the pace for the full 70+ minutes. we can mix it with the best of them.
    okay our forwards need to be scroing more, we hit 7 bad wides in the last quarter of the game. if we had got 4 or even 5 of them. coming into the final minutes it could of going either way.

im pleased with yesterdays displays.still have lots to improve on.
    we seem to be getting better with every game.

so bring on the langers, who ever wins. it will be a good game. who knows we might even have a cracker like the ones in the 00's.

so bring on the langers, who ever wins. it will be a good game. who knows we might even have a cracker like the ones in the 00's.

Neither of us have the players to produce a game of that quality I'm afraid, but it should be good nonetheless.

redlead wrote: »
    Neither of us have the players to produce a game of that quality I'm afraid, but it should be good nonetheless.

i know,we don't have the players we use to.

i also know it's going to be a more free flowing game.than the final and replay of 2010. now that Davy has gone back to muncken land. and with the JBM at the reins for cork. we'll have none of that stupid bunching around the ball on the back line.tactic.

also lets roll back a few months when nearly 90% of people on this site were calling for Ryan's head after a few poor league games.

now were in an all Ireland QF. with a good chance of getting to another semi final. i don't think he's doing a bad job.and i never did. even through out the league. he was trying to blood new players and see if he could find a few scoring options for up front along the way..

really you cant judge a manager on his first year.let alone his first few league games.

keep the faith.

• Advertisement

Hearing that qfs Will be sat week in thurles. Kk game first up at 5 and Waterford at 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

sideboard wrote: »
    I'd say most Tipp fans felt as I did, that they didn't fire today (and weren't let). Poor hurling from our point of view and well done to Waterford for MOTM performance as none of our guys (apart from Cummins) actually cut it today.
    On another note, did anyone try to get out from Ballintemple to South Ring? What an awful venue if it can't facilitate the exodus after a (smallish) Munster final! :mad:

Thats a bit harsh, Conor O'Brien and Mickey Cahill were excellent, Padraic Maher cleared a world of ball and up front John O'Brien scored 1-03 from play.

jacko1 wrote: »
    gaa confirmed double header

almost certainly a case of Sunday 29th Thurles at 4.00pm with the Kkenny game at 2

When does Hawk eye come into place. Is it the semi finals or quarter finals. If its Quarter finals, the games will be in Croke Park, as its the only ground it will be used. If its semi finals, the two games have to go ahead at Thurles.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hearing that qfs Will be sat week in thurles. Kk game first up at 5 and Waterford at 7

Hopefully not. That's a very late drive back. Flood lights are a curse. There isn't one ground in the country that actually needs them apart for training purposes. They put matches on at night just for the sake of it.

deisedub wrote: »
    Now that the dust has settled, i really enjoyed the game we were right there with a great chance of winning unlike last year. so fair Fks to management Ryan, Cullinane & McGrath they have the team playing a brand of hurling that keeps ye on the edge of your seat, roaring the lads on. I know they could have done this or that but we are all on the ditch not down there in the heat of a Munster final again well done lads. Now for the LANGERS !!!

Not directing this at you but to people in general, do the people that wanted Skully kicked out almost as soon as he got the managers job still want him out of the job. I agree with you with what you have to say about the style of hurling we are playing. Long may it last. Had 3 and a half years of watching something that almost resembled a bad Junior 'B' Football game under the last management teams.

it shows were as good as the best if we can perform for the FULL 70 MINUTES. not complaining here, but we need a massive improvement on the 2nd half performance to have any chance of beating cork. I think Mahony will be on frees the next day, but i dont mind who it is, Maurice could never have another day as bad on them. Finally i'd like to congratulate tony browne, he proved a lot of people on this wrong with his performance yesterday

I'd love to know why some people write him off every year. Age is just a number. Tony Browne should get the freedom of Waterford city and county for what he has done for this county and for hurling in the past 20 years.

• Advertisement

Are the GAA Changing. Havent the quarter finals always gone ahead on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Would love that option on the Sunday. Well, would prefer a 2pm/4pm setup but wouldn't mind as long as it was the Sunday. My brother-in-law's wedding is the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Please God let them be on Sunday! I have a wedding on Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Disappointed yesterday that there was a margin of 7 points in it, felt we were worth maybe being 3 or 4 points nearer. Tipp created a lot of space to run into and I guess created goal chances too, but we defended those well and had opportunities for goals ourselves. We didn't score any because the final ball was never good enough. Tipp's second goal was disappointing, there were warning signs from the first when Corbett nearly goaled in a similar situation. The communication wasn't good enough, but I think it was naivety on O'Keeffe's part to come off his line. That's all part of gaining experience as a Keeper though, and his puckouts were once again amazing which played a part in Prender catching so much clean ball. He also made two brilliant saves and is my front runner for the all-star at this stage.

The Sunday Game once again tried to be controversial on highlighting the foul given for Tipp's second goal. It's typical of them to do this, but I don't think they actually talked about the incident because it got tangled in their incoherent analysis titled 'Goal Focus' which was just another example of the appalling standard that we've seen from the evening highlight shows, both in the league and championship this year.

My own view on the incident was that Brendan Maher did go to ground of his own accord but he was probably fouled all the same. He was just making sure he got the free, and I find it hard to fault him with that given referees can be so slow to blow for a free if you do make an honest attempt at tackling them. All I ask is that nobody from Tipp comes telling me that Mullane is a diver again.

We didn't use the ball well second half and it cost us. We sent so much long aimless ball down in the second half that was swallowed up by Tipp, we needed to vary it like the first half but we didn't create the same kind of space. Paudie Mahony got understandably tired and that had a really telling effect as Paul O'Brien isn't up to the standard required at this level I'm afraid. Eoin Kelly was once again extremely disappointing and one wonders for how much longer are we going to have to put up with these constant disappointing performances from him?

I won't talk much longer on the game. We defended really well in general. Thought Molumphy and Prender were better than Moran but that he still played well. Maurice played quite well and he'll be able to relax when Mahony resumes free taking responsibilities. Darragh Fives returning will be a big boost to the team.

Given the difference between last year and this year, and how we responded last year, I would hope that the team draws positives from this and is optimistic for the next game.

Cork are a much improved team, but to be fair they were several shades of awful last year. In typical fashion, a lot of people are talking up Cork and Galway, and indeed Clare and Limerick and neglect to mention that this is a better Waterford side than last year. Cork is exactly the kind of game we'd relish after yesterday, and I'm sure Cork will be up for it too. If we improve on our second half performance and get a bit of luck we're certainly capable of winning. Very much so a game that could go either way.

I don't fear them anyway. They gave Tipp a great game, but it was in their own backyard. They were impressive in the league, but there win against us was a non event really, and they were annihilated in the final. They've had two soft wins over Wexford and Offaly that will give them momentum, but there was no real challenge to them and we've the advantage of having two tough games under our belt. Worth remembering that we only had one game in 13-14 weeks coming into yesterday, where as we'll have had two tough championship games in 6 weeks as preparation for the Cork game in 2 weeks. We will certainly make them earn a semi final place at the very least.

Thought Molumphy and Prender were better than Moran but that he still played well.

you're a serious westie! :D

On a serious note, Molumphy looks like he is back to his old best. I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't have had him on the panel this year but he has seriously proven me wrong. I think the fact that Prender missed three sitters yesterday takes from his performance. He was phenomenal against Clare though. Both seem to be rejuvinated under Ryan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement