Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ME! to convert misses in to gamer! :D

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

leisure suit harry on the pc /end thread.

you can thank me later:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

joking aside have you thought of arcade emulation?

try mame and get pong,puzzle bobble,tetris etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My gf isn't a big gamer but she has a little interest in em. She used to suggest that I play the Silent Hill games just so she could watch. I got her to play Resi 5 and we finished it on co-op, absolutely brilliant experience! I told her about this thread and she said to recommend Resi 5! :) I'm looking for a new one can we play as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Don't play pro evo, tell her none of the buttons and kick her ass about 10-0 in every game. That doesn't work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I know a couple who love to play Fable II on Xbox 360 together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

How about Okamiden (DS), it's a platformer, but not complex, and stars a super cute white wolf puppy. Also makes extremely good use of the DS touchscreen. It looks fantastic, and has good music. It's a great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Animal Crossing,Dragon Quest IX,Okamiden is great but not many stores stocked it,Pokemon Gold and Silver are on sale in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

at work in the break room I left my non-gamer colleague to work on level 1 of Cut The Rope.

Had to fight her for my iPod back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well she just finished beating last level on Peggle. Now she wants to get medals and ****...

Meanwhile I was trying out 3ds.

Layton was pretty cool, but hard.

Zelda on 3ds, can't remember the name. Was pretty meh. Don't understand wtf people see in it.

Final fantasy tactics was prety awesome. Cam see myself spending lots of time on it!

Will order Mario for misses tommorrow.

Zelda on 3ds, can't remember the name. Was pretty meh. Don't understand wtf people see in it.
    I played Ocarina of Time... Probably... 5 or 6 times. The furthest I ever got in most of those attempts was partway through the first Dungeon, in the Deku Tree. At one point though I finally got a little further. 2nd dungeon, 3rd dungeon... It takes time for the game to get into itself. But it's totally worth it. Keep on playing son. Keep on playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

she'll probably enjoy playing games on facebook a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You do realise thats the greatest video game ever made.......ever?

Its hardly gonna stand the test of time but its the greatest game ever made.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Woe the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

dreamers75 wrote: »

So i'm missing out if i've never played a Zelda game then?

@ShadowHearth: Herself is a casual gamer too, and she loves spending time building houses in the Sims 3, or playing any cooking games (building the burgers and getting the drinks orders right... Hard... :rolleyes: ). I suggest you direct her to bored.com or simular sites with casual games.

So i'm missing out if i've never played a Zelda game then?
    Well: yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but the point of the exercise is to slowly get her to enjoy games not hit her with a game that you as an experienced gamer find challenging
    think about what not you like but what a noob would like

Ah steered it offtopic with my comment on zelda. Sorry. It's just a meh game, sorry. After all explosive orgasms I read on boards, I was expecting something amazing, now I just realise alot of it is a pink glasses nostalgia.

Amy better place to get ds games then zavvi?

I need to get her something ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Custom Robo Arena is amazing and she'd really enjoy it as there's plenty of action and adventure elements.

CastleVania also are great games on DS though a tad difficult.

I've got it Soul Bubbles!!
    This game is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm in the same boat too! I am a gamer getting excited about Skyrim, BF3, SR3 and a host of other games coming out soon plus am a bit of a generic nerd.

The missus is the opposite. It's not just that my missus doesn't like gaming, but also that she doesn't have any hobbies to speak of... more of a girly girl into her shoes and dresses. She does have a DS that never gets used, so I'm thinking some games for that, perhaps Pokemon as I've seen that win lots of people over. I've also seen the effect of Angry Birds (it's like crack!) so thinking of getting her to try it out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Why do people always start at the mini portable / puzzle games when it comes to getting GF's/non gamer girls into games?

What about a coop game? Coop FPS? Let her play an open world RPG on ultra easy like oblivion or dare I say it, WoW or something?

I got the impression actual girl gamers get a little annoyed at the stereotype that girls would only go for those mini portable / puzzle games but I might have picked that up wrong.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Why do people always start at the mini portable / puzzle games when it comes to getting GF's/non gamer girls into games?

What about a coop game? Coop FPS? Let her play an open world RPG on ultra easy like oblivion or dare I say it, WoW or something?

I got the impression actual girl gamers get a little annoyed at the stereotype that girls would only go for those mini portable / puzzle games but I might have picked that up wrong.

It's easy for gamer to say: play this, it's easy, but to someone who newer played properly basic controls can be very hard. I am pc gamernerd and it took me awile to get use to fps games on consoles. I don't even talk about nongamer.

I gave her to play a bit cod and she got more confused with so many buttons and scared away. It needs to be done little by little.

I want to get Mario ds game, but it's mind billing how they charge a full price on old nintendo handheld game!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Seriously get her to play Portal. Not only is it absolutely brilliant but it eases you in very slowly and carefully and it'd teach some FPS skills without her ever realising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's easy for gamer to say: play this, it's easy, but to someone who newer played properly basic controls can be very hard. I am pc gamernerd and it took me awile to get use to fps games on consoles. I don't even talk about nongamer.

This. My girlfriend is a gamer since she was small but never really played FPS games. When she tries she finds it very hard and tbh, I don't want to force her to play them. Dual analogue/keyboard and mouse isn't that easy to pick up. When I started using it I was trying to convert my friends and I found that playing through the entire first episode of Quake 1 was that it took to get used to it, a serious investment of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If your missus is one for the cute stuff, I found Earthbound surprisingly effective. Just point Ness toward the camera and let the missus get a look
    at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AirsoftAndy

get her to play sims and when she gets into the idea of gaming get her more games

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AirsoftAndy

and if shes playing online make sure that she doesnt tell ppl dats shes a girl coz sum lil fags will stalk her and creep and that will turn her off gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

and if shes playing online make sure that she doesnt tell ppl dats shes a girl coz sum lil fags will stalk her and creep and that will turn her off gaming

Or just dont suggest she play COD..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I gave her to play a bit cod and she got more confused with so many buttons and scared away. It needs to be done little by little.

I dunno, I mean I understand with a controller all right, but I was thinking open world fps games ie oblivion on a PC - surely she has used a mouse and KB before and such a game would not need twitch reactions/perfect aim etc. Wander around at her own pace, create her own character etc Slap the difficulty on ultra low and so on. Give her a chance to become immersed in a video game world.

Its a pity it couldn't be played coop so you could play with her at the same time.

Other games though, I hear The Longest Journey and its sequel Dreamfall are meant to be very good adventure games that she might like. First one is basically point and click from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Interesting thread im trying to do the same with my gf.

just bought myself a new ps3.

so im trying to pickup some games she would like.

She used to like the tomb raider games so i bought her the Tomb Raider HD trilogy. Hopefully she likes this and its not to hard for her.

now im thinking that coop games would be best so we could play together .

Lara croft and guardian of light and Lego batman are 2 game i thought of any more recommendations.

• Advertisement

Griffin87 wrote: »
    Interesting thread im trying to do the same with my gf.

just bought myself a new ps3.

so im trying to pickup some games she would like.

She used to like the tomb raider games so i bought her the Tomb Raider HD trilogy. Hopefully she likes this and its not to hard for her.

now im thinking that coop games would be best so we could play together .

Lara croft and guardian of light and Lego batman are 2 game i thought of any more recommendations.

i failed... she got all medals on peggle and then just mehed...

bouth got quite busy with other stuff too, so not much time to play. :(

well, atleast i can play 3Ds now and then...

Advertisement