Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do we ever get snow in october ??

Options
  • 19-08-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

jus wondering does anyone ever remember it snowing in october in ireland..

dont think ive ever seen it myself , but does even any of the higher mountains get snow ?
    or would still be a bit warm in october for snow ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

NIALL D wrote: »

dont think ive ever seen it myself , but does even any of the higher mountains get snow ?

It came very close in Dublin three years ago so I'd say it would have snowed at least somewhere in the country that year and indeed our neighbours across the pond got a fair bit!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/oct/29/weather-london

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Some parts of Ireland got snowfall in late October 2008. I also remember news reports in October 2003 of hail, sleet and snow showers in parts of the east with thunder and lightning. That's all I can remember, although I'm sure there has been more October snowfalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

October 2003 is a perfect example of why I love early cold snaps (from the North East)...'warm' sea vs. cold winds gives way to mighty convection, bigger than what we saw last November/December (Nov/Dec lasted longer and was obviously snowier though)...52 mm of rainfall recorded in Casement on the 22nd alone...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I remember Oct 08 was cold alright, there was frost. I don't recall snow though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I remember a poster up in Wicklow posted some pictures of a decent snowfall...I think the altitude was just above 200 metres... (2008)

Last year I recall similar questions about November, and we all know what happened there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

cheers , yeah id say its quiet rare it happens alright ..

must have a look , wonder whats the record low for october over the last 50 years....
    where does one find that info ? met.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

October 2008. Martin McKenna had a very decent fall for October according to pictures, and one had a school bus so I don't think it was up in the Glenshane pass. (Unsure)

Here, we had around an hour of sleet, then like 2 minutes of snow before it all turned to rain.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »

cheers , ta for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Just found these pics on me old phone memory card. Taken at my sisters house in nobber co.meath on Wed 29th October 2008, think it was gone the next day. Nothing here but rain and sleet, suprised we had none considering how bitter it was in the days beforehand.

171369.jpg

171371.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

traecy1 wrote: »
    Some parts of Ireland got snowfall in late October 2008. I also remember news reports in October 2003 of hail, sleet and snow showers in parts of the east with thunder and lightning. That's all I can remember, although I'm sure there has been more October snowfalls.
    im sure thats the year im thinking we got thunder & lighting for 24hours on & off,good times :)

Thanks, Interesting that I recorded 4.9C last night, its not far off some of the coldest temperatures recorded for August in that chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Very interesting. I noticed it was -0.3 at Birr on June 1st 1975 which turned out to be a hot and very dry summer that year but not really remembered because of the following summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

no snow as such, but remember it being like summer going into hospital in oct 2003 to have a baby, went in on oct 13th and by oct 20th there were severe frosts and weather warnings for icy roads. Couldn't believe the turnaround!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember October last year being exceptionaly mild, almost warm with temps reaching 21C at the start of the month - certainly better weather than what we have had this summer, I remember being at college and everyone sitting out on the grass having their lunch etc and then few weeks later all the snow came! I would love if such a short transition between summer and winter would happen again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Yes we do.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/33065-x-treme-irish-weather-october-2003/

Kippure wrote: »

thanks ;)

would be nice to see some october snow this year ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Snow on the western mountains in middle of october for the last no of years, for the last 20 years at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Check out October snow in Annamoe that I posted here in 2008
    How I wish I was still in the mountains ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Check out October snow in Annamoe that I posted here in 2008
    How I wish I was still in the mountains ;)

wow that looked fairly decent amount of snow..

id say most years though there wouldn be a hugh amount on lower levels , and some snow on mountains thats probably why we wouldn hear of it at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There's an old, Jewish saying.... "from your mouth to God's ear". I should think the majority of weatherites on this forum will be chanting that reading your post. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

delw wrote: »
    im sure thats the year im thinking we got thunder & lighting for 24hours on & off,good times :)

Yes that's right. There was snow further inland from me. Places like Newcastle wee covered. I lived in Skerries at the time and there wasn't anything of note there. It was very cold though and I remember one night I didn't get much sleep because there was a lot of thunder and lightening that night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Crazy to see that we've had minimum extremes below 0 for every month

Crazy to see that we've had minimum extremes below 0 for every month

yeah for temps to get a few degrees below zero in june july and august is crazy !!!!
    wonder will we ever see that again in our lifetime ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yeah for temps to get a few degrees below zero in june july and august is crazy !!!!

-0.3 recorded once 122 years ago in one location is hardly a few degrees below zero!

-0.3 recorded once 122 years ago in one location is hardly a few degrees below zero!

ah rite below zero so , ya know what i mean !!

Prolonging the off topicness....

-0.6C was recorded at Mount Dillon Co. Roscommon on 30th Aug 2010
    -0.8C recorded at Katesbridge Co. Down on 10th June 2011

Not a few degrees below, but is sub zero.

• Advertisement

Prolonging the off topicness....

-0.6C was recorded at Mount Dillon Co. Roscommon on 30th Aug 2010
    -0.8C recorded at Katesbridge Co. Down on 10th June 2011

Not a few degrees below, but is sub zero.

ah rite below zero so , ya know what i mean !!

Advertisement