Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should a helmet be replaced after crash.

• 19-08-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Im just curious to find out if a helmet should be replaced after a crash. The wife had a fall and she was wearing my helmet. Thank god she was as she smacked her head of the curb snapping of the small visor and leaving a dint in it. Should the helmet be replaced.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think best practice would be to replace the helmet but it might not be always necessary.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Without doubt YES...... it has done its job once thank god and therefore the standard of protection in the future may be compromised although it may not be visible or obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

It's a contentious topic and there is no easy answer. If it looks visibly damaged then certainly it is advisable to replace it - but defining "damaged" is not easy and a dent on the outer shell might not qualify. If it doesn't show any signs of damage then it might be fine, or it might not be fine. What the helmet is supposed to do is compress to absorb the shock of impact and having compressed once it then won't offer the same protection next time round. You'd expect signs of compression of polystyrene to be visible, but it might not be (I certainly don't know enough about the properties of polystyrene to know whether signs of compression should always be visible).

There is a lot of hysteria around helmets, with some people claiming that even if you drop an helmet a short distance onto a floor that it *must* be replaced. Some of the arguments seems ridiculous to me - I've bumped my helmeted head against door frames with more force than an empty helmet hitting a floor, for example (I don't make a habit of it, in case you were wondering). However, having said all of that, if in doubt and you are worried about using it again then the answer is that you should replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stephendoyle

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

doozerie wrote:
    I've bumped my helmeted head against door frames with more force than an empty helmet hitting a floor, for example (I don't make a habit of it, in case you were wondering).

Thank god you were wearing a helmet, you could be dead! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

i need to replace my own lid actually, which shops in dublin have a good stock? would like to try on a few before buying obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    i need to replace my own lid actually, which shops in dublin have a good stock? would like to try on a few before buying obviously.
    I find wheelworx to have a great range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

give that one to the wife, and get a new one for yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Personally, if I couldn't see any signs of proper damage I wouldn't bother with a replacement. However, if getting a new one would give yourself and the wife great peace of mind then get a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Dr.Millah wrote: »

Cycle Superstore

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Yes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Depends TBH
    Afraid it's a judgement call you'll have to make.
    If in doubt change it.

Advertisement