Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union loan and shares question

Options
  • 19-08-2011 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I owe the credit union €700 on a 2k loan repayment and i have €700 in shares, would there be a problem with me using the shares to pay of the debt? If i phoned them on monday morning could they do that right away ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

as far as I am aware, your shares / savings are used as collateral against your loan, so when the amount you have left to repay is the same as or less than your saving thenYES you can use them to pay off the loan. In terms of doing it over the phone, well that depends on your credit union, I would have to go in to mine to sign the paperwork etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Yes sould be no bother i done same had 8000 in shares had a 20k loan, owed 7000 told them to wipe the loan and they did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Donahg wrote: »
    I owe the credit union €700 on a 2k loan repayment and i have €700 in shares, would there be a problem with me using the shares to pay of the debt? If i phoned them on monday morning could they do that right away ?

Why would you do that?

€700 is a very small amount to owe, I wouldn't use my shares to clear the loan. €700 in shares gives you reasonable (compared to the banks) easy access to at least €2100 in credit at a reasonable rate with very flexible repayment options

You never know when you may need a loan, personnally I would continue to tip away at the loan and keep my €700 in shares

Advertisement