Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Here's what I saw today - Part II (Please read the rules before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Singapore - for Lamborghini meeting and the rest of that supercars there. Lad's there pay huge tax/vrt forthem and they still buy it. That place is too expensive for me i think :(

I'm just back from spending some time in Singapore - the cost of running a car was one of the things that simply baffled me - yet I'd never seen the like of hte supercars there. More like Montecarlo than Dubai.

to give you an idea of how expensive cars are - the 5 year old bmw 318i my friend was trading in was giving a trade value of 92,000 SGD, thats €58,000! Its hilarous. You'd prob get it new for 30k in ireland FFS. that was even with a few scratches and dents.

Running a car in Singapore is beyond madness.

As a general rule - multiply the new or used value of a car in ireland by 4 to 5 times.

In other words, imagine spending €500k on an s-class merc here in ireland? Yet they are pretty much ubiquitous in Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

BMW 320i Saloon starts at $221,800 which is €140,000. HOLY SH!T

Singapore BMW Pricelist (Non M Cars)

Found it here
    Singapore Car Price Website

even for a 2nd hand car, you get an agent to find a car for you - they then try to source a few options. those are usually locals.

also, and this is crucial, there is no culture of a discount off the car price - when they asked the dealer for a discount off a used 5-series, he initially asked why you'd want one, and then offered $100! it was about 0.1%.

the idea is that you can tell your friends how much you paid, not how much of a deal you got.

Singaporeans will live in a small apartment, but drive a mercedes and wear a rolex. They had some study in a paper when i was there that said some families were spending 75% of their disposable income just to keep a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

@ sk8board - could I for example, bring a BMW from here to Singapore import it, sell it and make a huge profit? I know the transport costs would be big but I'm only wondering is it possible to do that or do their import costs negate that?

Also, why so expensive?

definitely not I'm afraid - the government regulate and control absolutely everything.

its a 40*20km island nation, so its easy enough to control everything. Cars are expensive, but they also buy your car from you when its 10yo and export it off the island. the 10yr value of the lads 318i was $26k

on top of the car cost, you also need a licence to be allowed drive on the island - and preferably a licence that was a 24/7 one rather than an off-peak/weekend licence.
    those are sold at auction and can cost $20k per year and up. when selling your car, you need to keep your licence for your next car

Edit: to give you an idea of the level of regulation, you cant 'import' a stick of chewing gum, its confiscated at the airport. Also, when you drive across to malaysia, they do spot-checks on car petrol levels to ensure people leaving with empty tanks arent going to malaysia to fill up.

edit2: oh, and my favourite, there is no social welfare system whatsoever. no dole, no childrens allowence etc. If you lose your job and you're not a permanent resident, you get a month or 2 to find a job or get out.
    If you want to have children, thats your own problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

sk8board wrote: »
    you cant 'import' a stick of chewing gum, its confiscated at the airport.

Chewing gums are illegal in Singapore because of metro. People were sticking a chewing gums on a sensors in metro doors - just for a joke. In result metro couldn't work because it's fully controled by computers. I was reading about it somewhere.

I also heard that there is no criminality because of big punishmen. You can pay a fine for throw a paper on the ground, what in my opinion is very good.
    sk8board wrote:
    oh, and my favourite, there is no social welfare system whatsoever. no dole, no childrens allowence etc. If you lose your job and you're not a permanent resident, you get a month or 2 to find a job or get out.

This is why unemployment is on very low level. It's only 3.1% what mean only 150.000 people have no work.

I'm start to save some money for holidays in there. I want to see how it's look in real :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

IMG_0257.jpg

Haven't posted here in ages. But just had a look at this thread and saw this pic of this beautiful Espada. As a young fella with my 'Observer's Book of Automobiles' this was the car I wanted my dad to buy. Bear in mind that he was a Cortina driver. For me it was pure practicality. A four seater with loads of luggage space.

I have only ever seen one previously myself at the Birmingham Historic Motor Show and that must be twenty years ago. Magnificent example in the picture you have posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

IMG_20121201_142615.jpg

Badged an M50 (or M5.0d)

Thought it was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

They didn't waste any time working on diesel-powered M cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭daaaycent boy

IMAG0969.jpg

I think I like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Nice. 1.4TSi 160 though. :P

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

i dont, i hate that audi front even on an audi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

E6C9FFF5-06D9-4960-9472-DB3326AD83FE-11060-0000093FB4187373.jpg

278DE54C-39BF-4B68-812E-646D37D92C63-11060-0000093FA9E8DC4A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

ill see your de lorean and raise ya another !8155819267_4a37d6db95_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

homer90 wrote: »
    E6C9FFF5-06D9-4960-9472-DB3326AD83FE-11060-0000093FB4187373.jpg

img.photobucket.com4A.jpg

love the reg no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Ran a history report on that ... Its showing 600,000kms +
    But hey, travel back a few years when it's time to sell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Some stuff from Belfast. Have to say the latest Ferraris, leave me cold. They still can't top the F40 or have the style of the 308.

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

These things are huge...
    IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

One thing I hate about modern Ferraris is their choice in wheels.
    All that money and they look sparse and cheapish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

This is an old one but since we're on the subject of Ferrari's I thought I would stick it up

IMG_5753-1.jpg?t=1355788558

I just messed up something on the pc and in Lightroom with that file and lost all setting except that one jpg :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Back ups, man!

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Back ups, man!

Or don't move RAW files in windows but in Lightroom instead :(

I'll be re-doing all my images anyway, that was just the first luckily.

Anyone who calls the 458 ugly or plain needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone who calls the 458 ugly or plain needs their head examined.

*Makes appointment with psychologist.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »

*Makes appointment with psychologist.

Let us know how it goes. We're all behind you el Diablo. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

CianRyan wrote: »
    One thing I hate about modern Ferraris is their choice in wheels.
    All that money and they look sparse and cheapish.
    Have to agree.

Dotz Hanzo for your new Ferrari FF sir? Suits you sir :D

dotz-hanzo_lg.jpg

http://www.wheels.uk.com/acatalog/alloy-wheels-dotz-hanzo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

el tel wrote: »
    They still can't top the F40

Is the F40 for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Is the F40 for sale?

I believe it's not for sale. The owner is local.

Same F40 that was in the Cannonball last year (missed this years so he might have been there also?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

jozi wrote: »
    Same F40 that was in the Cannonball last year (missed this years so he might have been there also?)

He wasn't there this year. Today i saw black '08 Audi R8 on crossing Adelaide Road and N11, Dublin 4 at 03:10pm. In compare to other cars in traffic that Audi sound amazing. Saw also grey Bentley Continental GT on London plates. The first time i saw him, he was at the same crossing as Audi at 10:35am and second time he was in Dublin Port (East Wall Road), Dublin 1 about 3:50pm.

BTW where is the Richford Motor Company now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Brooklyn.

img4160ct.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement