Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does an engineers report entail

• 19-08-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a campervan & I need to get an engineers report for my insurance. I know that I need to go to a main dealer or SIMI registered garage but .. can anyone tell me what the report details?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭tphase

download a report form from the Dolmen website. You can use any garage to fill out the report and stamp it - as long as they are registered for VAT, Dolmen will accept it. That's what they told me at the time and I used my local garage rather than be fleeced by the main dealer. I don't think he's SIMI registered either. If I can find the report, I'll see what he had on this stamp, should show if he's SIMI or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

This has been covered before. If you check with Dolman you'll find that they will accept a DOE cert. or an engineers report. No need to get a window disk for the DOE cert., and pay extra money, as it's not a legal requirement YET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If its a conversion, dolmen won't accept a DOE, and they won't accept an engineers report if its not from a SIMI registered garage...

If its a conversion, dolmen won't accept a DOE, and they won't accept an engineers report if its not from a SIMI registered garage...

They'll have to change their policy once the campervan testing is signed into law I would imagine.
    By the way Buford, what does SIMI stand for?. Just curious as I've never needed to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

They'll have to change their policy once the campervan testing is signed into law I would imagine.
    By the way Buford, what does SIMI stand for?. Just curious as I've never needed to know.

http://www.simi.ie/

• Advertisement

T650 wrote: »

Thanks for this.
    I've just looked at their site and I see that looking after the interests of the motor industry is listed higher than looking after the interests of the customer!.
    Read into that what ever you like but I personally would still put more faith in an NCT/DOE test cert. providing that it is recent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

All they are doing is making sure some nut job doesn't convert a death trap the register it as a camper. They will check it van it safe, condition of body tyres, gas connection, that bit's aren't going to drop off and that the breaks work. Alot of smaller mechanic / car dealers are in the SMII and will do it for you just bring the form and van a long about 100 quid is fair any more and it's a rip off. Mine did my van when I first got it and got it serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Thanks for all the advice, I downloaded the engineers report form from Dolmens website

Bit of a pain having to pay for this. I had a full vehicle inspection in the UK before I bought it but they won't accept it unless its from a SIMI registered garage, even through it's far more detailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

GG66 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, I downloaded the engineers report form from Dolmens website

Bit of a pain having to pay for this. I had a full vehicle inspection in the UK before I bought it but they won't accept it unless its from a SIMI registered garage, even through it's far more detailed.

I know, I had to shell out for a poxy report too. Hundred feckin quid it cost me.....

They don't gotta do shit if they don't want to in fairness... they don't have to. Typical insurance companies.

The difference I imagine is that when you get a DOE, they certify that at that particular point in time the vehicle is roadworthy, and does not mean that it is at any other point in time... (odd really)

whereas the engineers report is certifying that a SIMI registered garage is stating that the vehicle is in a satisfactory condition.

Advertisement