Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you repeat in the same school if you did transition year?

• 19-08-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Can you repeat in the same school if you did transition year? I have heard from a few people that you can only spend six years in a secondary school and since you have done transition year if you chose to repeat you have to go to another secondary school. I am asking this for a friend! I hopefully got my course. (fingers crossed)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Can you repeat in the same school if you did transition year? I have heard from a few people that you can only spend six years in a secondary school and since you have done transition year if you chose to repeat you have to go to another secondary school. I am asking this for a friend! I hopefully got my course. (fingers crossed)

Some schools let you repeat, others don't.

Our school doesn't let you repeat but the lad's school does. It's the school's rules and they are entitled to make that rule afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Depends on the school, some don't let you repeat at all regardless of how many years you've been there. But our school lets you repeat as long as you have a decent reason and showed genuine hardwork the year before (ie not one of those people that did nothin all year and just thought, a well sure I can just repeat)
    We had one girl this year who did ty and repeated, she was the only repeat this year at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's no limit really to how many years you can spend in school, it's up to the school if they let you repeat or not. They are not obliged to take you as a repeat as they have educated you to leaving cert (whether that took five or six years is irrelevant). Some schools take repeats and some don't. Some don't like to take back students who spent 5 or 6 years dossing, disrupting classes and generally being a nuisance. If you didn't cause trouble and genuinely want to repeat to get on in life and they can accommodate you, then they probably will.

Advertisement