Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converse

• 20-08-2011 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm heading to London next week and was thinking of getting a pair of converse, I'm female and 20.

Looking at Schuh.co.uk there are various 'types' of converse and to be honest, I don't know which of them to go for.

They have all start light, all star core plus etc. I don't know anything about converse to be honest.

Are they comfortable? Are they long lasting (i;e, will I get more than a few weeks/wears from them)? Are they worth they money? They are priced around the £40 mark so I don't want to waste money.

Can they be worn with bootcut jeans and tops/hoodies/casual jackets etc?

I usually wear a pair similar to these that I got in Dunnes.

http://www.loveyourshoes.co.uk/en/keds-champion-cvo-canvas-sneakers-195309

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

They are very long lasting and very versatile! I have loads and love them all. The only problem I find in them is a 5 is too small and a 6 is miles too big for me, and they don't do half sizes :(

But other then that I love them!

I have high tops, low ones and low thin soled ones, and I prefer the low thin ones, but each to their own.

They can be thrown in the wash too if they get very dirty. (I've only done this once with no consequences, maybe someone has done it a few times and ruined them?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Well they're a reputable brand and not cheap so you will get more than a 'few weeks' from them.

I washed pink ones in the wash before, and dried them in the sun and they faded badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Bought a pair a few weeks ago, they're ok, a bit on the narrow side for me (I have wide feet) but probably fine for everyone else. One problem I would have with them is that they are very flat i.e. have very little ankle/arch support. Not really a problem for me since I wear orthotics in my shoes anyways, but for those that don't, they might become uncomfortable if wearing them for long periods of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mytwocents

I like the look of converse but in my opinion they are the most uncomfortable shoes going. I wore them on a long-haul flight recently and when I got off at my stopover and was walking from one terminal to the next I seriously thought I might have to buy a pair of flip flops or something. They were the most uncomfortable shoes ever. I ended up with blisters all over my feet.

I put this down to my feet possibly swelling on the flight. Then again I wore them going shopping one day and was walking a lot and my feet ended up bleeding.

So i have since thrown out my converse. Without a shadow of a doubt the most painful shoes I have ever worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Have to agree with mytwocents very uncomfortable for any long term journeys. Ecco do similar style much more comfortable and last longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 123ame

i love converse.. i recently got the classic white high tops, the first few days wearing them is uncomfortable (adjusting to how narrow they are) but after that they are comfortable. i usually take a size 6 in shoes but for converse i take a 5 because after wearing them they do stretch. If i was you i would look on amazon for them, because they have a big selection and are pretty well priced. (p.s the white converse's get dirty very easily)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I find them very comfortable. I'd stay away from the high tops if they're your first pair because they can be tight and if you're not used to it you'll hate it. They last for ages. I recently got rid of a pair that I bought in 2007. I wore them an awful lot and the only reason I got rid of them was because I was doing a pre-moving clear out and I just thought they'd served their purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I am a converse lover. I've been wearing them for years and I find them very comfortable. I acutally wear them until the soles totally wear down. My first pair were a pair of blue high tops that I got a present of and I've been obsessed ever since.

My first pair of lowtops were very uncomfortable TBH. They rubbed against my ankle and made blisters but after I had "broken them in" they were fantastic! :) It was probably because the high top sits a different way on my leg.

I wore my cons on a long haul flight dublin-frankfurt-Korea and I took off my cons. Your feet will definately swell on any flight and cons are quite thin.

The thing about cons is that they are really confortable, come in a huge array of colours, are cheap enough, and look amazing with jeans for that casual look! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

PlayGirl wrote: »
    They are very long lasting and very versatile! I have loads and love them all. The only problem I find in them is a 5 is too small and a 6 is miles too big for me, and they don't do half sizes :(

I have high tops, low ones and low thin soled ones, and I prefer the low thin ones, but each to their own.

They can be thrown in the wash too if they get very dirty. (I've only done this once with no consequences, maybe someone has done it a few times and ruined them?)

I'm a half size and got these ones (in black) off ebay. The Jack Purcell ones have more bounce (cushioned insoles) & are more comfortable than regular ones too. Love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

PlayGirl wrote: »

yup me too, and when i et ze size 6 it makes my feet look huge :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I love cons and have a lot of pairs. I'm really into the thin soled ones at the minute. I have to agree that they don't have the best support. Having said that, though, I wear mine on my commute, which is roughly a 40-min walk, and they give me no hassle. Equally, though, I wouldn't wear them if I was going to spend the whole day on my feet.

I also am between sizes, but I find that if I wear a size 5 for a while, they'll stretch just enough, although this might not work for everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Bought a pair a few weeks ago, they're ok, a bit on the narrow side for me (I have wide feet) but probably fine for everyone else. One problem I would have with them is that they are very flat i.e. have very little ankle/arch support. Not really a problem for me since I wear orthotics in my shoes anyways, but for those that don't, they might become uncomfortable if wearing them for long periods of time

I got my first pair a couple of months ago (silver sparkly ones!) and while I love them, they're just not comfortable for walking around in! I wouldn't wear them for more than maybe half an hour ... they're completely flat and give no support.

Unlike others, I don't find them to be too narrow, maybe I just have narrow feet or something though! Also I bought a size 6, whereas I'm normally a 5.5, so they're slightly big on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

I absolutely love them! :D

I'd really recommend breaking them in before wearing them on any serious walks or journeys! Some people break them in because they feel they look better a little worn while others do it for comfort. I do it for a bit of both and my breaking in process consists of slamming them off some concrete, bending them a bit then taking them out for a nice walk on a rocky beach. :)

Not everyone is this extreme with them, of course, I just like mine nice and worn in. They last me for years!! I find the high-tops more comfortable as they're not rubbing off my ankles. That said - when they get old and completely worn out they usually start to irritate my heels and put holes in my socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I totally love my cons. I have quite a few pairs and find them very comfy except for a gold leather low top pair that kill my toes after a couple of hours. They look so bloody comfy but kill my feet.

The first pair I got was a pair of blace low tops that I have worn to death. walked all arounf Paris, Rome and Prague in them with no sore feet. I have a wide fat foot and find the fit fine. I have a range of shoes in different sizes form 6.5 to 8 depending on the size, heel and style but with the converce I buy a 7 and that is perfect. I dont find then to flat and the sole had lots of give so I find then good for walking in.

They also wash like a dream. Just pop them in a pillow case on a gentle wash and dry away from sunlight. I normally stick then on the rad to dry.

I have never tried hi tops and at the grand old age of 37 ill be sticking to my low tops they look dressy with bootcut jeans, top and cardi. My after work uniform!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Get whichever ones you like the best since you're the one who will be wearing them! :)

I find them really long lasting, I have a pair from 2006! I Don't wear them now cause they've faded a bit but they are still perfect!

They aren't uncomfortable, but like others said I couldnt wear them if I was on my feet for more than 2/3 hours. They are quite flat and I flat feet so they don't mix well :p. I don't find them narrow as I have narrow feet anyway but when I have my orthotics in them my baby toes sometimes feel a little squished from the top.

I think they look great with any type of jeans, but they are a casual shoe, I wouldn't wear them with a dressy outfit.

Enjoy them, they are an addiction! Once you get one pair you'll want more and more! :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Adore them!

I recently threw out a pair that had lasted me the best part of six years :) They can literally be worn with anything and with all the colours they make quite the fashion statement :) Have a look on ebay I scored a perfect pair of neon green ones for under a tenner last week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Another converse lover! Had at least 8 pairs over the years and they last for ages, especially as I pretty much wear them every day. Prefer the sneakers to the hi-tops but like others have said, you really need to break them in if you're going to wear them for long periods of time. I hit mine off the stairs a bit and wear thick socks the first few times i wear them to help soften and loosen them a bit. I'm another half-sizer so wear a 6 in cons & a 7 in regular sizes and definitely need to stretch them out a bit at first. Once they get there though they rarely leave my feet, they're so comfy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i love converse!

dont go to schuh....go to office they are cheaper well over here they are :P

defo invest in them, they are long lasting and comfy, and easy to upkeep too :)

im normally a 6 but i have to get a 5 so maybe try on your size and the size smaller they do stretch! I also prefer the low top ones, the high tops just dont look right on me! but you will know yourself what suits ya!!

YAY FOR CONS :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have 13 pairs of Converse so I definitely love them! I have never found them uncomfortable at all, and yeah, all of mine have lasted really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I love them, wear them all the time but they are hard on socks I find...the heel of my socks is always worn out from them, but they've never given me blisters or anything :confused: not sure why they wear the material but not the skin! Also I usually wear a 5, and my hightops in 5 are perfect but the low ones are a little tight, so make sure you've enough room for your toes because I've found the toe area doesn't stretch at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm another converse lover! Find them the most comfortable shoes in the world. Even more comfortable than my granny Ecco shoes. I don't like hi-tops, I find them too constricting around the ankle and I found the ones with the thin soles less comfortable. I always end up going back to the classic low black chuck taylors. Now I want to go buy more converse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Total converse fan here. Wear them as much as I can, on stage, driving (They're a savage driving shoe), everything. Wish we could get the cooler ones here though, even the Irish converse site is terrible.

Last pair I got in Paris, and they're just about knackered now. Waiting for my next holiday to get my next pair, there's always something cooler about bringing back a pair from abroad.

Really love these ones too :
    Converse122135.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

I don't know how everyone's Cons have lasted so long..? I had mine two years and they were in bits after the first year. I wore them practically everyday, though, maybe that's why. They also didn't wash well at all.. the insides fell out after washing :( I got a new pair at the end of last year and they're looking quite tatty already. I just get the plain black low top ones. I also find that they randomly give me blisters. I still love them because they're versatile and match a lot of looks, but I don't think they're very long-wearing or all that comfortable!

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    I don't know how everyone's Cons have lasted so long..? I had mine two years and they were in bits after the first year. I wore them practically everyday, though, maybe that's why. They also didn't wash well at all.. the insides fell out after washing :( I got a new pair at the end of last year and they're looking quite tatty already. I just get the plain black low top ones. I also find that they randomly give me blisters. I still love them because they're versatile and match a lot of looks, but I don't think they're very long-wearing or all that comfortable!

your not meant to wash shoes in a washing machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

booboo88 wrote: »
    your not meant to wash shoes in a washing machine?

You can wash Converse. Just don't put them in a hot wash, anything over 20-30 and the glue melts and they fall apart.

I find them very comfortable and they're pretty much the only shoes I wear. If you have dodgy arches avoid them because they give no foot support at all.

They do tend to fall apart a bit more quickly than most runners. I wear them most days and I usually buy two pairs a year, one pair of hi-tops and one pair of Ox. So with daily wear I'd say I get 8 months out of a pair.

Also, don't buy them in Schuh unless you're looking for a specific colour or pattern, they're much cheaper elsewhere. They always have them in TK Maxx and on discount sites and I often find them reduced in smaller local shoe shops too. I got my last 4 pairs for under €30 each.

moonflower wrote: »
    You can wash Converse. Just don't put them in a hot wash, anything over 20-30 and the glue melts and they fall apart.

I find them very comfortable and they're pretty much the only shoes I wear. If you have dodgy arches avoid them because they give no foot support at all.

They do tend to fall apart a bit more quickly than most runners. I wear them most days and I usually buy two pairs a year, one pair of hi-tops and one pair of Ox. So with daily wear I'd say I get 8 months out of a pair.

Also, don't buy them in Schuh unless you're looking for a specific colour or pattern, they're much cheaper elsewhere. They always have them in TK Maxx and on discount sites and I often find them reduced in smaller local shoe shops too. I got my last 4 pairs for under €30 each.
    i didnt know you could wash them.

but of course i go for the diff colours and patterns, my new one to get is the aqua green with sparkly turquoise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 figgisp

Discovered today that Foot Locker do half sizes in Converse. I had been looking for ages as the 5 was too big and the 4 too small, seems to be a common problem with Converse. Anyway, there are Foot Locker shops in Dublin on Grafton Street and O' Connell St and I'm sure there are maore around the Country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement