Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a new MP3/music player

• 20-08-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

So, after three and a half years of having my brilliant mp3 player, it died yesterday. So, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on getting a new one. I was thinking about waiting to Christmas but I don't think I could handle the wait. I am looking for one that has a good memory (my last one had 8gb) and is in a good price range! Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

ipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Moved from AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you prefer a separate device, an iPod.

These days, I am finding I use my phone as much as I do the iPod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

tbahh wrote: »
    So, after three and a half years of having my brilliant mp3 player, it died yesterday. So, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on getting a new one. I was thinking about waiting to Christmas but I don't think I could handle the wait. I am looking for one that has a good memory (my last one had 8gb) and is in a good price range! Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

If you are looking for the best in audio quality you can not go wrong with a Sony MP3 Walkman,it is another league compared to the Ipod/Iphone and the like, plus the fact you will also have a tuner with the Sony MP3 Walkman.
    Have tried all the above and went back to the Sony.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If you are looking for the best in audio quality you can not go wrong with a Sony MP3 Walkman,it is another league compared to the Ipod/Iphone and the like, plus the fact you will also have a tuner with the Sony MP3 Walkman.
    Have tried all the above and went back to the Sony.

Nonsense, all of the above :D unless that league is hearing what you want to hear, all mp3 players today sound pretty much the same, headphones are really all that change the sound.

I'd look at an ipod nano or the always fantastic sandisk clip+ if I was buying a new mp3 player tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Mactard wrote: »
    Nonsense, all of the above :D unless that league is hearing what you want to hear, all mp3 players today sound pretty much the same, headphones are really all that change the sound.

I'd look at an ipod nano or the always fantastic sandisk clip+ if I was buying a new mp3 player tomorrow.
    I have seen this issue discussed a lot.
    At the end of the day you could discuss this matter all day,and still not change anyone's mind;)
    The link below is worth a read by anyone who is interested is this topic.

http://stevenator65.wordpress.com/2008/07/02/do-all-mp3-players-sound-alike/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

My Mp3 that broke was a Sony MP3 Walkman. It certainly was a fantastic mp3 so I probably will go back to them again. I saw one on Argos' website but they were out of stock in every place that I could possibly collect it from.

I tried getting the Sandisk Clip+ on Amazon but they wouldn't let me buy it. Not allowed to ship MP3 players to Ireland, anyone know why?

iPods are too expensive to buy as I would buy the Classic one. Also, I find the iPod's menu a bit dull and I would waste away the battery playing one of those addictive games on it (can't remember the name)

I have seen this issue discussed a lot.
    At the end of the day you could discuss this matter all day,and still not change anyone's mind;)
    The link below is worth a read by anyone who is interested is this topic.

http://stevenator65.wordpress.com/2008/07/02/do-all-mp3-players-sound-alike/

You are wrong. People spout nonsense about the sound quality of iPods a lot. 90%+ of people who buy an iPod never get better ear/headphones than the crap ones that come with them. What people are really doing is commenting on the quality of the earphones.

I use high end headphones with my iPod and use it as source through a decent hi-fi and it sounds as good as a CD player.
    The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD players—ironic, considering that most of the time it will be used to play MP3 and AAC files, which will not immediately benefit from such good performance. But if you're willing to trade off maximum playing time against the ability to play uncompressed AIFF or WAV files, the iPod will do an excellent job of decoding them. Excellent, cost-effective audio engineering from an unexpected source.—John Atkinson

tbahh wrote: »

I tried getting the Sandisk Clip+ on Amazon but they wouldn't let me buy it. Not allowed to ship MP3 players to Ireland, anyone know why?

Quite a long time ago Amazon wouldn't ship to Ireland, but they do these days. Maybe it was just the policy of seller using Amazon's marketplace. Try different sellers.

if you work out the cost of an iPod classic per Gb, they don't seem expensive at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Looking at the sandisk clip, looks good, but... am i right that you cant plug it directly into a usb socket, you need a special transfer cable?
    Can it charge off the usb connection or do you need a charge cable?
    Do you need to install any software on your pc to transfer or delete files from it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

eyerer wrote: »
    Looking at the sandisk clip, looks good, but... am i right that you cant plug it directly into a usb socket, you need a special transfer cable?

It doesn't have a built in male usb plug, if that's what you're asking? you connect it to your computer using a regular mini usb cable, which comes supplied.

Can it charge off the usb connection or do you need a charge cable?

It only charges over usb, whether you charge from a computer or a wall charger is up to yourself.

Do you need to install any software on your pc to transfer or delete files from it?

Nope, it'll pop up as a removable drive, like a usb key would. Nothing stopping you from using software if you want though.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Sandisk have updated the clip+ a little bit, the new version is call the Clip Zip...the design has changed a little and it's got a silly crappy little colour display but otherwise it's the same as the clip+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

adolfo wrote: »
    If you have a limited budget, recommend you to have a look here http://www.happyshoppinglife.com/electronic-gadgets-mp3-player-mp4-player-c-64_66.html but you may got another problem for the shipping cost if you just buy only one uint of mp3 player, because they are from China
    Are those iPods OEMs or knockoffs?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Are those iPods OEMs or knockoffs?

Most certainly knockoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Creative do some nice ZEN mp3 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Was finally about to purchase a new one, having settled on a sansa a long time ago.
    But I just looked at the reviews, apparently a lot of them just stop working. Much like my old sony one. Ipods are too expensive and i dont want the new touch screen ones. Zen has reviews mentioning bad battery as well.

Are there any good reliable mp3 makers any more??
    I would buy iRiver over and over but they are gone :(

My clip+ turns 2 this xmas, still working to it's fullest, well worth the 50 euro it cost :D

iriver still exist, just not the iriver you've affection for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My clip+ is about 2 years old now too. Got rockbox on it, 32gb sd card in it, no complaints. Well, the headphone jack did come unsoldered a few months ago but it was easy to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ImGettinPaper

Don't go near Creative Zens I got one from argos the other day and when I plug it into my laptop I have to format it.

When I go to format it it crashed my laptop.

So then I tried another laptop and formatted successfully. Then I plugged it back into my own laptop and it says it needs to be formatted again????

I'm goin for iPod and beats by dre :|

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm goin for iPod and beats by dre :|

Would ya not prefer to get decent headphones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ImGettinPaper

Would ya not prefer to get decent headphones?
    Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Also, it's worth mentioning that Sandisk have updated the clip+ a little bit, the new version is call the Clip Zip...the design has changed a little and it's got a silly crappy little colour display but otherwise it's the same as the clip+.

How easy is it to hook the Sandisk up to my car? Will a standard Aux cable work?

Also, will the Sandisk work if I try to transfer files from a PC and a Mac or do you have to tie it to one computer/OS?

r3nu4l wrote: »

How easy is it to hook the Sandisk up to my car? Will a standard Aux cable work?

Also, will the Sandisk work if I try to transfer files from a PC and a Mac or do you have to tie it to one computer/OS?

To connect it to your car you'll have to go through the clip's 3.5mm headphone jack, so it's quite easy in that sense.

No OS/computer limitations that I've come across, it works like a memory stick.

Advertisement