Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What ever am I going to do now

• 20-08-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I brought my cat to a pet care place to be looked after while I had to leave my home for 10 days. I brought her in a cat carrier and she cried all the way on the drive there which was about 2 miles away (on not a very easy to find roadway). She actualy escaped from there after a few days. What I want to know is.
    1 Will she be able to find her way the 2 miles to home?
    2 Do she hate me and blame me for putting her there?
    3 She is now missing 10 days what are the chances of her getting home?

She is a indoor cat but do go out quite alot hunting, she is 7 years old, neutered,and careful on the road.

I miss her so much

I have drove around and walked around where she was and have called her , left food out, most days.
    What are the chances of her comming back?
    She was a stray to begin with (a long time ago now)and I would say was distrustful of people now will she think I just dumped her too.
    Any ideas on getting her back are very welcome
    I have put out alot of posters too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

And your not thinking some sort of action against this place why exactly? They took your pet in with the agreement that they will look after the cat and ehmm basically they lost her/let her get out, whatever way you word it, it should not have happened. . .

She would find her way home if she really wants to, chances are at this stage she's not coming home are very slim.

You say you were gone for 10 days, she escaped after a few days, and now its an additional 10 days, so in total she's missing approx 15 days am I right, very slim chances.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If you've put up posters that's a start. Having them in places like your local shops too can be good.
    Have you contacted all local vets / rescues? In case someone brings the cat in?

Are there any houses near the pet boarding place? or farms? You could maybe see if any of the locals had noticed her / taken her in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

1 Will she be able to find her way the 2 miles to home?
    2 Do she hate me and blame me for putting her there?
    3 She is now missing 10 days what are the chances of her getting home?

She may well find her way home. I've had a cat cover 15kms TWICE to get back to somewhere he wanted to be.

She doesn't hate you or blame you. She doesn't have the ability to hold hate or lay blame. At the moment her brain is focussing on where she is, how to get food and so on. When she gets home again she will be happy to be home, but she's not able to make the leap from associating any stress she may be under now as being your fault.

10 days - hopefully she's ended up sticking in one place a bit to see if she can feel safe and find food.

You need to put pressure on the cattery you left her at to find her. They lost her, they need to leaflet, advertise in the papers, organise a search and possibly even foot the bill for the pet detective to find her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My friend had a cat that went missing for 3 weeks a while back, they had been away and a neighbour was feeding the cats. Turned out the cat had gone over a mile cross country to someone else with kids that were brushing and feeding the cat.
    Posters worked for them, the people feeding the cat called and they went to collect the cat, he's fine since never goes off, but just shows that they can travel, and people will look out for them.

I would be asking the cattery to pay for posters and advertising at least to find the cat. The cattery I use has 3 doors between cat and outside, open one door and close it before opening the next, can't see how they could let your cat escape.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

First of all OP, my every sympathy is with you. What an awful thing to happen.
    I too would put big pressure on the boarding place to stump up some cash, posters and manpower. I assume their insurance would cover them for this eventuality.
    I know my experience is with a dog, but perhaps worth telling you if only to encourage you not to give up. A lady I know was away and left her wee terrier with friends in a remote place far from home. She hadn't had the dog long, and the dog was a very nervous little thing, afraid of her own shadow. The dog got out and disappeared.
    The owner postered, postered, postered. She got on the radio, she contacted every vet, groomer, rescue, Garda station, pound etc and did leaflet drops with her family to as many houses as they could. She kept contacting the vets, rescues, guards etc for news.
    Eventually, and after a few false starts, they got a sighting in a remote forest, a farmer had seen her. As he'd seen the posters he started leaving food out for her. He saw her once or twice more, but nobody could get near her. So, they managed to find a dog trap, haired it with delicious food, and 5 days later, they got her. Obviously they checked the trap several times a day.
    That little dog changed after her ordeal for the better! Having been nervous and distant, she seemed to realise that living wild was not much fun, and having a nice, caring mam wasn't so bad after all! She's been happily glued to her owner ever since!
    So, don't lose hope. Get the boarding place to weigh in and get working on posters to appeal to people's helpful nature.
    To end on a sad note, it might also be worthwhile contacting local council street cleaners in case they have found her deceased on the roads... I know this is macabre but it may help you get closure if she was knocked down.
    I wish you the very best of luck in your search, it's a horrible time for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have you offered a reward on the posters? If not I would do this and I'd also be expecting the home-boarding place to pay this out along with any other costs.

Advertisement