Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

andos celebtration was both brutal and brilliant at the same time..

a bit like his playing style if we are honest :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

a bit like his playing style if we are honest :D.

Give over will you .

Give over will you .

ah shut it and stop acting like a little women have you got a box of tissues next to you i say ur ballin your eyes out, dont take a joke to heart and grow up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I loved Ando's celebration, I was giggling like a school girl at it, love the man!!

City are going to be serious serious contenders this year with a front five of Silva, Dzeko, Aguero, Nasri and possibly Tevez! :eek:

I think it's a 3 horse race between us, them and Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

ah shut it and stop acting like a little women have you got a box of tissues next to you i say ur ballin your eyes out, dont take a joke to heart and grow up.
    Ive a box of tissues alright but its from jizzing all over Andersons performance last night .

• Advertisement

Ive a box of tissues alright but its from jizzing all over Andersons performance last night .

give over will you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

6 English players started for Utd last night (Welbeck, Cleverly, Jones, Young, Rooney and Smalling) surely bodes well for England's national team since all except Young, ironically, are early 20s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

FutureGuy wrote: »
    What I loved about last night was the fact that Fergie could have play Carrick instead of Cleverly to add experience. He didn't. He could have gone for an extra midfielder or Berbatov instead of Wellbeck. He didn't. He could have played a more defensive formation. He didn't.

There is huge belief in the players that started last night, and it's an incredibly exciting time to be a United fan. I haven't been this excited in years.

This.

I've been worried all summer about the lack of a midfield signing, I still think we're weak there compared to other positions, and frankly overall.

However, I always love developing young talent. I would be fine with losing the Champions League this season, if it meant that Anderson and Cleverely could develop so we could win it next season.

I suspected however that Fergie would stick with the tried and tested, as he has for the past few years. He's been wanting to play Carrick and Giggs ahead of Anderson for sure.

But in the last two games, he's put his faith into Anderson and Cleverely. They haven't been fantastic. For large parts of yesterdays game, Cleverely wasn't really in it. But they got it together in the end.

While I know everyone's been talking about Cleverely, Anderson I really think can push on this year and be a really top class player. I hope Fergie sticks with them, including Fletcher into the mix when he returns to fitness, and using Carrick for rotation unless he can prove himself. Giggs should be there solely as backup.

If we really are going to stick with the lads, I'd be disappointed with Sneijder coming in, not least because he's not a great fit. But if Fergie is thinking of reverting to type and playing Carrick week in week out, I hope we do sign another midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

flahavaj wrote: »
    Score more than them, the United way.
    I'm tending to agree tbh. Chico is the better goalscorer undoubtedly, but Welbeck is the better footballer. And I want United to have as many proper footballers in the side as is possible.

You want Utd to play with the 'you score 2, we score 3' mantra yet you would leave out a player who you admit would get more goals?
    The best thing about Welbeck is his movement, he drags defenders all over the place and makes so much space for others and he has an uncanny little connection with Clev as well.

I think Chico is just as good if not better than Welbeck when it comes to movement.

I agree with your assessment of Welbeck's attributes but I wouldn't have him ahead of Chico in the pecking order, rather I think there are plenty games to go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

6 English players started for Utd last night (Welbeck, Cleverly, Jones, Young, Rooney and Smalling) surely bodes well for England's national team since all except Young, ironically, are early 20s?

Isn't Rooney the same age as Young?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

RasTa wrote: »
    Homerjay is in this pic, surprised he hasn't spotted himself!
    Had a pic of it on his phone at the airport first thing this morning in fairness to him!
    TheTownie wrote: »

I think Chico is just as good if not better than Welbeck when it comes to movement.

I agree with your assessment of Welbeck's attributes but I wouldn't have him ahead of Chico in the pecking order, rather I think there are plenty games to go around.

It's a tricky one really, Chico does nick goals better I would feel and is more of a poacher than Danny, but Danny's overall play and linkup play, ability to hold up the ball and pick a pass is better than Chico's. It's hard to say who is ahead of whom in the pecking order as a striker as I feel they are both different types of player. However considering the 55-60 games a season that we play there will be plenty of games to go around for both of them, and both will be utilised in different ways by Alex as each game calls for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

TheTownie wrote: »
    You want Utd to play with the 'you score 2, we score 3' mantra yet you would leave out a player who you admit would get more goals?

Its hardly as simplistic as that now in all fairness.

Chico might get more goals but Welbeck would IMO contribute to the team playing vetter footballer and ultimatly creating even more chances.

Fair enough point. Where Welbeck outdoes him in his contribution to general play. I can't help thinking back to the Barca Final where Chico was isolated up front on his own - he needs the team to have the ball to be effective, whereas Welbeck can make things happen himself and is adept at dropping off and gettung involved in little give and go moves.

I think United should always ask little more from their strikers than being
    "just" goalscorers. They should be good all round footballers that get involved in the high tempo passing we should be striving to employ in every game. In time Chico will become a better all rounder, like Andy Cole did with the club, but I just think Danny can make a more all -round contribution at the moment.

Definitely. At the moment I see it being a battle between Chico and Welbeck to partner Rooney. Berba is the guy who's really going to slip down the pecking order unfortunately. Our options are amazing either way and its a great headache for Fergie to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Do you reckon Berbatov will leave?

Johner wrote: »
    Do you reckon Berbatov will leave?

If I was him I probably would, his opportunities look like they'll be fairly restricted.

Apparently Fergie told PSG he was going nowhere according to Leonardo though so he seems to still be part of their plans.

At the moment we have way way too many strikers with Owen, Macheda and Diouf there as well. At least two will have to leave either permanently or on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

diouf will be sold and macheda loaned IMO...no room for them.

I think they'll have to be alright.

I hope Macheda will get a club where he'll play every week, even if its down a division. When you look at the ages of Berba and Owen he still has a huge opportunity to make it at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just watching Bundesliga review here, Ron-Robert Zieler is in nets for Hannover 96, he is their #1 now, and the commentator just said he has been called into the German squad for the upcoming internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Chico might get more goals but Welbeck would IMO contribute to the team playing vetter footballer and ultimatly creating even more chances.

Fair enough point. Where Welbeck outdoes him in his contribution to general play. I can't help thinking back to the Barca Final where Chico was isolated up front on his own - he needs the team to have the ball to be effective, whereas Welbeck can make things happen himself and is adept at dropping off and gettung involved in little give and go moves.

"just" goalscorers. They should be good all round footballers that get involved in the high tempo passing we should be striving to employ in every game. In time Chico will become a better all rounder, like Andy Cole did with the club, but I just think Danny can make a more all -round contribution at the moment.

Definitely. At the moment I see it being a battle between Chico and Welbeck to partner Rooney. Berba is the guy who's really going to slip down the pecking order unfortunately. Our options are amazing either way and its a great headache for Fergie to have.

Great post, sums up the differences perfectly IMO.

Agree with this, Diouf may well work out, and at another time he may have been worth keeping around the club to develop and see what happens but with the wealth of talent we have up front it makes little sense for his own personal development to continue to carry him as a passanger in the team.

Hopefully Kiko gets a positive loan spell something akin to what Welbeck got at Sunderland last year that will help him develop his potential.

just look at how strong our "second" 11 is, if this was classed as out first. our squad depth really is amazing right now. that second team would beat most first teams..

De Gea
    smalling---Rio---Vidic---Evra
    -nani--ando--fletcher--young-
    rooney---hernandez----

Anders
    rafael----Jones---Evans--Fabio
    valencia--carrick----giggs--park
    berba
    welbeck

even at that, a 3rd team would have

PIG
    Gibson
    De Laet
    Tunnicliffe
    Pogba
    Morisson
    Cleverly
    macheda
    OWen
    Diouf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

[/QUOTE]Agree with this, Diouf may well work out, and at another time he may have been worth keeping around the club to develop and see what happens but with the wealth of talent we have up front it makes little sense for his own personal development to continue to carry him as a passanger in the team.

Hopefully Kiko gets a positive loan spell something akin to what Welbeck got at Sunderland last year that will help him develop his potential.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I'm unsure whether Diouf will make it and I'm positive that United have a transfer strategy in place where the intention is to "flip" youngsters like Diouf who might have the potential to make it at United, but if not, will re-sell for at least what they bought them for (i.e. Obertan).

I honestly think Hernandez fell within that strategy, but hey-ho, he proved to be more than capable of fitting right in and having an impact. A huge one at that.

Gone I think are the days where they will target a proven striker and splash out on him and they will instead stick to this method (at least until financially we are more secure/or if it is of the utmost urgency, say Rooney leaving or something like that).

I'm surprised that Welbeck is getting such a run in the team. Not because I don't doubt he is an excellent footballer, I just thought that with the price Sunderland would probably pay, they would sell up and reinforce elsewhere. I didn't imagine however a spree of this magnitude that has occurred this summer, and that sales would finance our buys (especially as the squad was/is massive)

As for Macheda, I hope he makes it but as said earlier, with the wealth of options up front I can't see him making the cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Everyone is criticizing evra and some of it is warranted, but nobody pointed out evra played a simple pass to give De Gea a comfortable first touch and calm him down in the first few minutes. Was a great bit of experience shown by mad paddy

just look at how strong our "second" 11 is, if this was classed as out first. our squad depth really is amazing right now. that second team would beat most first teams..

De Gea
    rooney---hernandez----

Anders
    berba
    welbeck

PIG
    Gibson
    De Laet
    Tunnicliffe
    Pogba
    Morisson
    Cleverly
    macheda
    OWen
    Diouf

This is the best squad I can ever remember in terms of quality. I would be happy out with any of those first 22 you named taking the pitch against any opponents, as well as quite a few from the third team.

Its amazing to think that the first choice midfield four that beat Chelsea three times at the end of the season and reached a CL final haven't had a sniff yet, but wear stil very happy with performances.

"Phil Jones reminds him of Duncan Edwards with his power and build." - Sir Bobby.

Sneijders missus latest tweet would suggest all is not conclusive there yet and anything can still happen -

"Yes Wes is doing his training now! i am sorry that i can't answer all the questions cause i just don't have the answers.. :("

"Phil Jones reminds him of Duncan Edwards with his power and build." - Sir Bobby.

Wow. Given what those two went through together thats probably the greatest compliment Sir Bobby could or would ever give any player.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

How cool does Berba look when he walks in around 3:50?:D

Ya that was a simplification alright. Not a subscriber to the simplified 'we'll score more than you' so I said I'd fight fire with fire! :D

As for the rest of it, no arguments really. Just felt the need to point out Chico's value and reiterate my appreciation for what he has achieved so far in his short time with us. Not only does he score goals, he scores crucial goals. Plenty for him to improve upon but all the young ones are in that boat.

If nothing else the competition will prove who is up to the challenge and who has the most desire to cement their place in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

De Gea
    rooney---hernandez----

Anders
    berba
    welbeck

PIG
    Gibson
    De Laet
    Tunnicliffe
    Pogba
    Morisson
    Cleverly
    macheda
    OWen
    Diouf

Your only putting Cleverly in the 3rd string side?

GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

baz2009 wrote: »
    [/YOUTUBE]

I just love how Berba appears out of nowhere on those vids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

In fairness you can't really label a GK's kicking as ''passes'', it's just not the same thing and there'll never be a particularly high success rate for it.

Actually a GK's use of the ball is actually becoming extremely important. VDS played a big role in setting up attacks for United. Valdes plays a massive role in Barca's ball retention. Far harder to keep the ball when a big, useless goon is lumping it 60 yards up the pitch in no particular direction. Valdes is very good at distributing the ball to his team mates. He actively picks them out (He is obviously copying Donal Óg's short puck outs :pac:). De Gea distributes the ball in a very similar fashion. He is picking players out quite often, not just kicking it hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭parc

Hey guise I'm new here, I hurd we are signing sneijder, is dis true?

:pac: Lol just joking, been lurking here for ages and finally got access. Nice win on last night. Anderson's celebration is just...such quality :o

Actually a GK's use of the ball is actually becoming extremely important. VDS played a big role in setting up attacks for United. Valdes plays a massive role in Barca's ball retention. Far harder to keep the ball when a big, useless goon is lumping it 60 yards up the pitch in no particular direction. Valdes is very good at distributing the ball to his team mates. He actively picks them out (He is obviously copying Donal Óg's short puck outs :pac:). De Gea distributes the ball in a very similar fashion. He is picking players out quite often, not just kicking it hard.

I think his distribution has to be one of the major reasons he was earmarked. As you say we've seen in teh CL final how possesson of the ball is so vital, goalkeepers booting the ball away blindly is such a waste and happens way too often in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think his distribution has to be one of the major reasons he was earmarked. As you say we've seen in teh CL final how possesson of the ball is so vital, goalkeepers booting the ball away blindly is such a waste and happens way too often in games.

I agree. It is baffling why managers allow the goalkeeper to kick the ball up field with no more than a 50% chance of getting it to a team mate. I thought that DDG distribution was better than those stats suggest.

Also it's amazing how often a team win a throw & then lose possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

baz2009 wrote: »

Wait til you see him in the second one :pac: 4:00 in, what a guy :pac:

parc wrote: »
    Hey guise I'm new here, I hurd we are signing sneijder, is dis true?

:pac: Lol just joking, been lurking here for ages and finally got access. Nice win on last night. Anderson's celebration is just...such quality :o

You'll get on fine in here. :pac:

premiership years is on now on setanta, united v boro, away game, i would think from 00.

i this the game where scholes scored that belter at the riverside? i think he comes off the bench to score it, not 100% sure its the same game.

so far its 1-1 and giggs has equalised with first attack of the 2nd half.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Delighted for DDG, before my skyplayer broke he seemed to be doing good, and catching and such.

Mon so Sean, fault him.
    Headshot wrote: »
    Im surprised Bateman didnt pop his head

Overall he did well last night.

Despite what some people may think I was delighted to see him up his game and do well. Yes he had that ropey moment with the cross where Defoe then hit the post but these things happen. The main thing was that he generally looked assured whereas in the previous two games and the West Brom game in particular he looked like a disaster waiting to happen.

And as for United last night generally...hey ho, let's go...awesome

some game this one was, 4-3 with that scholes screamer being on of uniteds 4 second half goals, some football played that season, with beckham and giggs wide, keane/scholes/butt in the middle.

scholes and keane had 23 goals between them from cm that season so far :(:(:(:( oh how we miss that

some game this one was, 4-3 with that scholes screamer being on of uniteds 4 second half goals, some football played that season, with beckham and giggs wide, keane/scholes/butt in the middle.

scholes and keane had 23 goals between them from cm
    that season so far :(:(:(:( oh how we miss that

Probably explains why they were conceding 3 goals to Middlesborough as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I wondered who would be first off the bench when chicharito returned.

Poor Berba.

On the other side its amazing to see United playing this way. Not just playing well on the ball but working for each other in possession and without possession.

Can't single any player out for praise, great team play last night.

Probably explains why they were conceding 3 goals to Middlesborough as well.

i think bosnich had more to do with it rather than keane and scholes. defending was pretty poor in this game has to be said.

one point that has been forgotten from last night was how good johnny evans has started the season. he was as solid as f*ck last night.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I wondered who would be first off the bench when chicharito returned.

Poor Berba.

On the other side its amazing to see United playing this way. Not just playing well on the ball but working for each other in possession and without possession.

Can't single any player out for praise, great team play last night.

Honestly I just thought Chicho would have needed the run out more than Berba. What would have been the point in bringing Berba on, other than to subject him to abuse from the Spurs fans? Im sure Dimitar wasnt best pleased, but it was wasnt personal.

German newspaper Bild are reporting United have made a firm offer for Goetze.

Bild, however is the German equivalemt of the Sun so treat with caution.

#flahthemuppet

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭parc

anyone have any streams for mutv? (if you're allowed to give the link on here :confused:)

i've googled it loads and searched back through the pages of results but can never find anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

#flahthemuppet

Now that would be an amazing signing for us, he's a real quality youngster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Honestly I just thought Chicho would have needed the run out more than Berba. What would have been the point in bringing Berba on, other than to subject him to abuse from the Spurs fans? Im sure Dimitar wasnt best pleased, but it was wasnt personal.

I still think its poor Berba, Chicharito getting a run shows he is in mind for the next game. Welbecks performance means he has to be in with a shout of starting again so that, to me, leaves Berba 4th choice going into the next match.

#flahthemuppet

Another piece of gossip being Aston Villa's apparent move for Darron Gibson. £3.5M rags think.

The Goetze one is just a rehash of an old story from the Daily Express aparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Duncan Castles is saying that we told Nasri's agent to get lost because he turned down the chance to go to us first time around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

The Goetze one is just a rehash of an old story from the Daily Express aparently.

Yeah Honegstein saying no chance this summer but next summer who knows? As i've said before he'll be next years Sneijder/Ozil.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

A little bit of an aside but sweet jesus Nani is basically MJ!!! At 8.20 in the second of Rio's videos he even does a mini-shamon!!! Hero! And Berba... what a guy... if he didn't play football he'd definitely be making serious money as a drug lord over in Berb-garia!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement