Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sorry if my post might look a little messy, because it is :)

Called away to managers PC to fix an issue. Serves me right to try and do my job and post a coherant post

It's fine!

That article makes the whole thing seem very dodgy indeed. Some shady characters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Champions League Draw tomorrow lads @ 4.45.
    Pot one: Manchester United, Barcelona, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Arsenal*, Real Madrid, Porto, Inter Milan.

Pot two: Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon*, Villarreal, AC Milan, Valencia, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, Benfica*.

Pot three: Zenit St Petersburg, Man City, Olympiakos, Ajax, Bayer Leverkusen, Fenerbahce, Basle, Lille.

Pot four:
    Borussia Dortmund, BATE*, Dinamo Zagreb, Napoli, APOEL, Genk, Otelul Galati, Viktoria Plzen*.

*If they qualify on Wednesday.

Worst case scenario:

United
    AC Milan
    Ajax
    Borussia Dortmund

Best case:

United
    CSKA Moscow
    Basle
    Viktoria Plzen

Wouldn't actually mind the top group at all, no harm in testing our players against decent opposition from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

flahavaj wrote: »

Worst case scenario:

United
    AC Milan
    Ajax
    Borussia Dortmund

Best case:

United
    CSKA Moscow
    Basle
    Viktoria Plzen

Wouldn't actually mind the top group at all, no harm in testing our players against decent opposition from the start.

Group stages have become so boring over the years, wouldn't mind a half decent group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Worst case scenario:

United
    AC Milan
    Ajax
    Borussia Dortmund

Best case:

United
    CSKA Moscow
    Basle
    Viktoria Plzen

City in pot 3, good for them! ha.

They'll have a nice tough group and away games after all of them (if i'm remembering right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

God help whomever is in Dortmunds group! what a horrible 4th seed. City as 3rd seeds could be a stinker for some of the 'bigger' sides too. (though not us, obv).

City in pot 3, good for them! ha.

They'll have a nice tough group and away games after all of them (if i'm remembering right)

Barcelona
    AC Milan
    City
    Borussia Dortmund

:)

God help whomever is in Dortmunds group! what a horrible 4th seed. City as 3rd seeds could be a stinker for some of the 'bigger' sides too. (though not us, obv).

Dortmund and Napoli are the real stinkers in Pot 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Barcelona

Milan

City

Dortmund

Yes please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dortmund and Napoli are the real stinkers in Pot 4.

Forgot about Napoli -wasn't thinking straight - they have kept their top stars haven't they, Hamsik, Cavani etc?

CL draw could be VERY exciting tomorrow, but Uefa will make it VERY boring.

Forgot about Napoli -wasn't thinking straight - they have kept their top stars haven't they, Hamsik, Cavani etc?

Pretty sure they kept everyone and added a few more as well. Lavezzi is good too and they got Inler from Udinese who's a very good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Worst case scenario:

United
    AC Milan
    Ajax
    Borussia Dortmund

Best case:

United
    CSKA Moscow
    Basle
    Viktoria Plzen

Would rate Villareal higher than AC Milan myself. AC Milan at this stage are a big name with a shít team. Big name individuals but don't look a proper team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Yup, some team.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Would rate Villareal higher than AC Milan myself. AC Milan at this stage are a big name with a shít team. Big name individuals but don't look a proper team.

Well they did win the league easily enough in Italy so they must have something about them. Their options up front are pretty good - Robinho, Ibra, Pato, Cassano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It Start's at 4.45 I hear which means draw should be on around 5.15 after all those UEFA Heads have their few minutes of fame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

i think £24 million is their favourite number "Yaya Toure £24 Million, David Silva £24 million, Mario Balotelli £24 Million , Joleon Lescott £24 Million"

hilarious that Lescott is valued the same as Silva!

Wasn't Milner around £24M aswell? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

i cant wait for this transfer window to close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I disagree, i'm already concerned that Manchester United have started the season too well. We're normally killer in the 2nd half of the season, don't want us too tired by christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I disagree, i'm already concerned that Manchester United have started the season too well. We're normally killer in the 2nd half of the season, don't want us too tired by christmas!

When everyone is fit in a couple of months, united can give the current 11 a few weeks off and still have a team capable of winning games;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

"Steps in- quick look around"

Who's better Phil Jones or Gary Cahill? Discuss!

"Steps out quickly again!"

Phil Jones > John Terry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hi, I haven't a clue what I'm talking about so I'm going to make a few broad statements that would make Eamon Dunphy proud and then claim one of the biggest clubs in world football, who just won their domestic league, are ****e.

Good job ted, try watching some football next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Blatter wrote: »
    Phil Jones > John Terry

LOL! Is that bird pulling or footie?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Well they did win the league easily enough in Italy so they must have something about them. Their options up front are pretty good - Robinho, Ibra, Pato, Cassano.

They had those options last year didn't they, when Spurs were able to get past them without much difficulty? I remember that game, and remember being very unimpressed with them as a team, such a far cry from the days when the likes of AC and Juve were major threats in European competition.

Seaneh wrote: »

Awh, look at you crying over someone else's opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Phil Jones is a great prospect and he will someday be a world class player imo but people are getting carried away with his performances (Cleverley too) so far. He has a lot to learn but he is still a good bit off the finished article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

eugeneious wrote: »
    Phil Jones is a great prospect and he will someday be a world class player imo but people are getting carried away with his performances (Cleverley too) so far. He has a lot to learn but he is still a good bit off the finished article.

Very diplomatic response there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't swap Jones for Cahill, put it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Barcelona
    AC Milan
    City
    Borussia Dortmund

:)

how the hell are city in pot 3 and dortmund in pot 4? should be the other way around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

keane2097 wrote: »
    I wouldn't swap Jones for Cahill, put it that way.

Or Terry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Blatter wrote: »
    Wasn't Milner around £24M aswell? LOL

£26 million reportedly , adebayor £25 million , Dzeko 27million .

Checked this all out this morning sad I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

on the phil jones discussion:

can you imagine arsene wenger watching the game the other night and wondering what might have been? 2 of his previous transfer targets smalling and jones doing the type of job for us that he needs so badly in his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Or Terry.

Why would you swap a 20 yr old for a 30 yr old? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Lukker- wrote: »
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Or Terry.

Why would you swap a 20 yr old for a 30 yr old? :pac:
    19 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Seaneh wrote: »

They'll get respect from opposition fans in European competition when they do something to earn it. Strolling a second rate league is nothing special.

They had those options last year didn't they, when Spurs were able to get past them without much difficulty? I remember that game, and remember being very unimpressed with them as a team, such a far cry from the days when the likes of AC and Juve were major threats in European competition.

They're probably still the best side in pot 2 in fairness.

Admittedly, they were pretty poor last season vs Spurs, but we're not discussing them as potential winners, but just rating them against he other teams in Pot 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Pro. F wrote: »
    They'll get respect from opposition fans in European competition when they do something to earn it. Strolling a second rate league is nothing special.
    Milan have done a hell of a lot more in Europe than Villareal have, and probably ever will, and have strengthened in areas the needed to this summer. Also remember that clubs from that so called "second rate league" have won the CL more times that teams from the PL in the last 10 years. It amazes me that people think this way about a team like Milan.

They're probably still the best side in pot 2 in fairness.

Admittedly, they were pretty poor last season vs Spurs, but we're not discussing them as potential winners, but just rating them against he other teams in Pot 2.

Worth its own thread really isn't it??

"Champions League Group Stage Draw thread" or something to that effect.

Worth its own thread really isn't it??

"Champions League Group Stage Draw thread" or something to that effect.

Was gonna start one but thought it best to wait till all the names were confimred after tonight's matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

dor83 wrote: »
    Milan have done a hell of a lot more in Europe than Villareal have, and probably ever will, and have strengthened in areas the needed to this summer. Also remember that clubs from that so called "second rate league" have won the CL more times that teams from the PL in the last 10 years. It amazes me that people think this way about a team like Milan.

I dont think anybody can keep a straight face when questioning the stature of the Serie A both as a league and a part of the CL.

But in the last 2 seasons Manchester United and Spurs have made AC look like absolute kittens, which is why you are seeing a disregard for their chances. Surely you can see where they are coming from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Regarding the CL......nobody can beat Barca so all we are playing for is runners up,again....

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I dont think anybody can keep a straight face when questioning the stature of the Serie A both as a league and a part of the CL.

But in the last 2 seasons Manchester United and Spurs have made AC look like absolute kittens, which is why you are seeing a disregard for their chances. Surely you can see where they are coming from?
    I'm not trying to say they are favourites or anything but the original point, that was Townie saying he would rate Villareal higher than them. Yes they were bad in those ties, although I thought they were the better team at White Heart Lane, but they have strengthened well since and will be no push overs. That and the comment about them needing to earn respect, they should be very well respected for their history in the competition anyway.

dahat wrote: »
    Regarding the CL......nobody can beat Barca so all we are playing for is runners up,again....

Man City could beat them. They're certainly best equipped in terms of having the right midfield. So lets hope they are drawn together in the knock-out rounds.

I'm not trying to say they are favourites or anything but the original point, that was Townie saying he would rate Villareal higher than them. Yes they were bad in those ties, although I thought they were the better team at White Heart Lane, but they have strengthened well since and will be no push overs. That and the comment about them needing to earn respect, they should be very well respected for their history in the competition anyway.

Don't want this thread swamped with Milan talk but I simply think we would be given a tougher game at El Madrigal than at San Siro.

I'll have no problem retracting that if I see an improvement from Milan in the CL this season but not before.

That and the comment about them needing to earn respect, they should be very well respected for their history in the competition anyway.

I'm not interested in their ancient history. Or what Seria A teams have done over the last 10 years. Both of those are ridiculous points. The recent past and current form is what matters. The PL and La Liga are producing the best teams at the top European level just now. The German and Italian leagues are firmly in the second tier. A team winning their second tier league is not impressive.

Seria A fans on here always over hype the quality of their teams. I don't see any reason to pay heed to what those fans say. I'll have a look at the various Italian contenders just as soon as I can, just like I'll be checking out the German ones. Until then I won't be particularly quaking in my boots because any of them have won their second rate leagues.

I'm not interested in their ancient history. Or what Seria A teams have done over the last 10 years. Both of those are ridiculous points. The recent past and current form is what matters. The PL and La Liga are producing the best teams at the top European level just now. The German and Italian leagues are firmly in the second tear. A team winning their second tear league is not impressive.

Seria A fans on here always over hype the quality of their teams. I don't see any reason to pay head to what those fans say. I'll have a look at the various Italian contenders just as soon as I can, just like I'll be checking out the German ones. Until then I won't be particularly quaking in my boots because any of them have won their second rate leagues.

If anything the German teams are catching the Italians tbh. In fact I think they already have co-efficient wise.

If anything the German teams are catching the Italians tbh. In fact I think they already have co-efficient wise.

Definitely.

Yeah, Germany have 4 CL places and Italy just 3 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is it because of the EPL's co-efficient that City are in Pot 3? Bit odd to see them there considering it is their first time competing in the Champions League. What pot were Spurs in last year?

• Advertisement

I'm not interested in their ancient history. Or what Seria A teams have done over the last 10 years. Both of those are ridiculous points. The recent past and current form is what matters. The PL and La Liga are producing the best teams at the top European level just now. The German and Italian leagues are firmly in the second tier. A team winning their second tier league is not impressive.

Seria A fans on here always over hype the quality of their teams. I don't see any reason to pay heed to what those fans say. I'll have a look at the various Italian contenders just as soon as I can, just like I'll be checking out the German ones. Until then I won't be particularly quaking in my boots because any of them have won their second rate leagues.
    Again, I'm not trying to say that they are on a par with Utd or Barca at the moment but they are certainly ahead of Villareal who are about on the same level as Napoli. I really don't see how anyone can honestly say Villareal are more of a threat than Milan. Also I'm an Inter fan and will say myself that Milan are quite a bit better than Inter right now, so I'm not over hyping my team.
    The German teams should actually do better than the Italians this year imo, and they will only get better because they are the best run league in Europe imo.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that because, as Townie said, this discussion is for another thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement