Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

markc1184 wrote: »
    What pot were Spurs in last year?

I'd say they would have been pot 3 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Who on earth is running the Manchester City website?:confused: Some of the stuff on it is just embarrassing.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2011/August/Samir-Nasri-scores-first-City-goal

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

After watching the Arsenal game tonight, I would be very confident for Sunday especially considering that Gervinho who was easily their best player tonight will be suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Blatter wrote: »
    Who on earth is running the Manchester City website?:confused: Some of the stuff on it is just embarrassing.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2011/August/Samir-Nasri-scores-first-City-goal

its pretty sad the stuff they come out with

They always want to dig at utd where as utd have bigger fish to fry

utd have a bit of class like that

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Blatter wrote: »

I read somewhere on twitter that their PR team tell all their players to mention that everyone in Manchester supports City in their press conferences. True or not, I wouldn't put it past them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

eugeneious wrote: »
    I read somewhere on twitter that their PR team tell all their players to mention that everyone in Manchester supports City in their press conferences. True or not, I wouldn't put it past them.

The same players must get quite the shock when they see all those blue empty seats for their home games.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

flahavaj wrote: »
    The same players must get quite the shock when they see all those blue empty seats for their home games.:confused:

Tbf, they probably need all those seats with the size of the squad they're assembling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just a goodbye to all the United fans, hope to keep intouch with this but im off to the other side of the world.
    when i arrive i hope to hear of a relatively handy group in champions league and then find a place to watch us destroy Arsenal :D

although i really take great pressure out of our smash & grab wins against them :pac:

anyway, hopefully our youth revolution works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

im off to the other side of the world.

I wouldn't bother, its sh1t over there. The football's on at weird times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother, its sh1t over there. The football's on at weird times

3 o clock Monday morning for United to give Arsenal a footballing lesson :D think ill have to find a place for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

3 o clock Monday morning for United to give Arsenal a footballing lesson :D think ill have to find a place for that

Cya man. Have a guddin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

Not a footballing lesson, a how to be decent with your money lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Just a goodbye to all the United fans, hope to keep intouch with this but im off to the other side of the world.
    when i arrive i hope to hear of a relatively handy group in champions league and then find a place to watch us destroy Arsenal :D

although i really take great pressure out of our smash & grab wins against them :pac:

anyway, hopefully our youth revolution works.

Have a good trip man. If it's Oz you're going to enjoy the bonus extra summer.

dor83 wrote: »
    Again, I'm not trying to say that they are on a par with Utd or Barca at the moment but they are certainly ahead of Villareal who are about on the same level as Napoli. I really don't see how anyone can honestly say Villareal are more of a threat than Milan. Also I'm an Inter fan and will say myself that Milan are quite a bit better than Inter right now, so I'm not over hyping my team.

By your teams I mean any Italian team.

I wouldn't be saying that Vilareal are a tougher draw than AC, I haven't seen AC this year. But it's not beyond the bounds of reason that they could be. There's just been so many shít team performances coming from seria a teams in the last few years. You know what you are going to get with Vilareal - a tidy team who are up for it. With AC it would surprise no one if they turned up with all their stars and put in a howler of a performance. As I say, people will start worrying about them when they get their act together in the CL, regardless of what stars they have in their team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pro. F wrote: »
    By your teams I mean any Italian team.

I wouldn't be saying that Vilareal are a tougher draw than AC, I haven't seen AC this year. But it's not beyond the bounds of reason that they could be. There's just been so many shít team performances coming from seria a teams in the last few years. You know what you are going to get with Vilareal - a tidy team who are up for it. With AC it would surprise no one if they turned up with all their stars and put in a howler of a performance. As I say, people will start worrying about them when they get their act together in the CL, regardless of what stars they have in their team.

so when Milan humiliated United in the san siro just a few years ago, it means that the entire epl was laughable andd should be dismissed, or when fiorentina, sitting tenth in serie a absolutely raped liverpool not too long ago, while liverpool sat in 4th in the premier league, it means by extension that the entire epl was a joke.

Milan weren't easily beaten by spurs last year, they were the better team in the secondd leg and were very unlucky not to go through, united the year before did however easily beat a milan team who were badly weakened and still recovering from losing Kaka the summer before.

Milan are streets ahead of Villareal and when full strength are a match for just about any team in Europe, the only team who are clearly ahead of them is Barca and even they have their bad games and are beatable.

The tripe thats passed for fact on this site never fails to make me shake my head.

Seaneh wrote: »
    so when Milan humiliated United in the san siro just a few years ago, it means that the entire epl was laughable andd should be dismissed, or when fiorentina, sitting tenth in serie a absolutely raped liverpool not too long ago, while liverpool sat in 4th in the premier league, it means by extension that the entire epl was a joke.

Milan weren't easily beaten by spurs last year, they were the better team in the secondd leg and were very unlucky not to go through, united the year before did however easily beat a milan team who were badly weakened and still recovering from losing Kaka the summer before.

Milan are streets ahead of Villareal and when full strength are a match for just about any team in Europe, the only team who are clearly ahead of them is Barca and even they have their bad games and are beatable.

The tripe thats passed for fact on this site never fails to make me shake my head.

A few poor performances prove nothing, obviously. And if you go back a few years then indeed Seria A was definitely up their with the PL and Milan were ahead of everybody. But aside from Jose working his magic at Inter I have not been impressed with Italian teams in Europe in recent years.

Your excuse for the Milan performance two years ago is laughable. That was one of the worst performances I have ever seen in the knockout stages of the CL. Missing Kaka and being ''weakened'' is absolutely no excuse for the total disinterest and lack of effort those players showed. After that, the next year they got knocked out by Spurs, only really getting their act together in the second leg.

Milan have got plenty of quality players in their ranks, as they have had for years, but in recent years they have been misfiring badly. Plenty of people, myself included, will treat any reports from Seria A fans of how good they are this year with suspicion.

I'm going to wait until I have actually seen them play this season before I judge them. All I know for now is that they could be going either way. They could have sorted themselves out by now and be realising their potential or they could still be a big bunch of wasted talent.

They are serie a champions... how was the talent wasted?

They are serie a champions... how was the talent wasted?

Winning the Seria A is nothing special these days. I would expect no less from that group of players. If they continue to be shown up in Europe then the talent will be going to waste.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Winning the Seria A is nothing special these days. I would expect no less from that group of players. If they continue to be shown up in Europe then the talent will be going to waste.

Well said Gilsey.

Well said Gilsey.

Pathetic. We've come full circle and still all you have are petty insults for anybody who dares question the might of your beloved Seria A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Surely even the most one-eyed Italian Cyclops would acknowledge that Italian football is going through a poor cycle (one caused by years of bad financial management, poor underage structures and Calciopoli)? That doesn't mean that the teams should be dismissed entirely, but AC Milan have not exactly been on fire in Europe recently. When people's last memory of them in Europe were those horribly limp performances against Spurs, it is understandable to see where those opinions would come from. In the 2nd Leg at White Hart Lane they never looked like scoring.

Resorting to brainless, petty insults or ridiculous hyperbole is not exactly an excellent debating method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Bryan Robson has been given the all clear after his bout of throat cancer. Great news for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

markc1184 wrote: »
    Bryan Robson has been given the all clear after his bout of throat cancer. Great news for him.

Great news, absolute hero of mine growing up. Him and then Sparky were my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I presume he went on gardening leave after that expose that was done on him when he was trying to get around league rules flogging clubs in the far east?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I presume he went on gardening leave after that expose that was done on him when he was trying to get around league rules flogging clubs in the far east?

No, cancer.

He's had cancer for quite some time has he not?

He's had cancer for quite some time has he not?

reported back in the spring.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3471640/Bryan-Robson-cancer-shock.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Danny Welbeck & Tom Cleverley are to be rewarded with double-your-money five-year deals at Manchester United.
    DANNY WELBECK and Tom Cleverley are to be rewarded with double-your-money five-year deals at Manchester United.

Old Trafford bosses were already preparing contract reviews, which would see their pay shoot to £40,000 a week, before Monday's heroics in the home win against Spurs.

Striker Welbeck, who scored one and crafted another in the 3-0 win, has little under two years remaining on his existing terms.

Both he and midfield ace Cleverley, who only signed a three-year extension last summer, are currently two of the lowest-paid in United's first-team squad.

But SunSport understands that the Red Devils plan to sit down with the players' respective camps over the next few weeks to sanction the improved terms. It will go a long way to protecting their investments and give further proof they have long-term futures at the Old Trafford club.

Welbeck, 20, and 22-year-old Cleverley's pay hikes will bring them in line with fellow rookie Chris Smalling, 21, who recently agreed terms until 2016.

I knew Welbeck was up for a review, good to see Clev is being rewarded too. No point in letting them think their efforts are not being rewarded. If they improve steadily and make the progress we all think they are capable of then I can see the same thing ahppening again this time next season. I actually though Danny was already on about £40-45K so the improved terms only put him to that now which is very good business indeed.

Just realised thats my 1,000th post. Only took me two and a half years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

oh classy as always....you just dont know when to keep you mouth shut. the lad has cancer and you have a pop at him over some poxy channel 4 documentary that was news for about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am all for bit of banter even a bit of stirring a bit of thrash, but this is low beyond low.

Ed him having cancer is irrelevant to whether or not its appropriate that he should be trying to help dodgy characters purchase multiple league clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Your comment implied that him contracting cancer was a convenient excuse to avoid the public following that news story.

It's never a convenient excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ed him having cancer is irrelevant to whether or not its appropriate that he should be trying to help dodgy characters purchase multiple league clubs.

and theres a thing also called having a bit of class, which you dont have. if he did anything wrong, im sure it will be sorted when the time and place is right.

Is the dispatches show in the news today again or something :confused:

• Advertisement

Your comment implied that him contracting cancer was a convenient excuse to avoid the public following that news story.

It's never a convenient excuse.

Are you smoking crack!? I have no idea how you got that from what I posted?!!??! :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused:
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    Is the dispatches show in the news today again or something :confused:

Nope, just saw Robson mentioned here & I wondered what ever came about from it.

Alan. We were talking about him beating cancer, a horrible sickness that can destroy families. But no, lets concentrate on the tribal BS as usual. I normally ignore silly petty comments but today for some reason I am biting and I am dissapointed lowering myself to this level. If you have nothing positive to the great news that someone is not dying then you should keep quiet.

What the ****?!

Him beating cancer is obviously fantastic news. To even imply I think otherwise is beyond offensive.

However, my question was genuine & I've yet to be furnished with an answer tbh.

Oh right. Nothing came of it as far as I know. Think thats the end of it except for the likes of you obviously who'll bring it up at the graveside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What the ****?!

Him beating cancer is obviously fantastic news. To even imply I think otherwise is beyond offensive.

However, my question was genuine & I've yet to be furnished with an answer tbh.
    I was away when the show was on, so can you tell me exactly what Robson is meant to have done? From what I could gather at the time he seemed to basically say that if you offered enough money you could buy any club.

EDIT:

Will have to find a copy of this program cause I am not seeing something as seedy as you are making out:

Sim and Robson both boast how they would get players on loan from United once they had bought one or two of the many Championship and Football League clubs they claim are open to a takeover.
    RELATED ARTICLES
    Bryan Robson resigns as Thailand coach 08 Jun 2011
    Bryan Robson faces cancer battle 16 Mar 2011
    Robson's career in pictures 16 Mar 2011
    They also claim other Premier League managers, including Kenny Dalglish, Harry Redknapp and Steve Bruce, would help them out with loan signings to make success more likely because of Sim and Robson’s personal connections. These claims are denied by lawyers acting on behalf of Ferguson and the other managers mentioned at the end of the programme.
    Clubs offered as potential takeover targets include Leeds United, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Leicester City, Cardiff City, Birmingham City and Crystal Palace.
    Key to the London Nominees business plan, according to Leppard, is taking over a big club outside of the top flight, getting them promoted in the space of three or four years and selling at a huge profit.
    Other ideas mentioned include the selling of training grounds in prime locations to supermarket chains and the employment of PR firms to get supporters to “accept the new owners” by announcing they intend to “put a substantial amount of money into the club.”
    London Nominees denied that they, or anyone associated with them, would breach or offer to breach FA or Football League regulations.
    Sim denied saying that Ferguson would “call in favours from other managers” but that as a friend “Mr Sim was confident that Sir Alex would

So, they advise you could buy a lower league club, get them promoted and sell at a profit? SHOCKING
    They advise you could sell training ground locations for profit? UNBELIEVABLE
    They suggest that due to personal connections they could get players on loan? OH. MY. GOD.

BURN THEM!

FFS, I see nothing wrong at all there. Might not be a nice way to think about football, but it is what it is.

• Advertisement

My dream draw today would be :

Ajax & Napoli from pot 3 and 4 and anyone from pot 2 bar Shaktar or CSKA. Nice trips, new teams to face and toughish games.

Dno't really have a dream draw for the Carling cup draw on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/08/24/man-united-show-interest-in-25m-rated-brazilian-starlet-ganso/
    Man United are reportedly considering a late bid to sign Santos midfielder Ganso as Sir Alex Ferguson looks to further strengthen his midfield and add to the youthful talent he has already purchased and the maturing players who have come through the club’s own academy set up.
    Ferguson has been scouting the Brazilian international for some time now and will reportedly consider meeting the apparent £25m asking price that has been attached to the 21 year old but would then seek to have the player loaned out for the coming season either resulting in the player staying in his homeland or farmed out in Europe.
    With the likes of Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Chelsea all being linked with the rangy playmaker the Old Trafford boss is keen to beat his rivals to the punch, hence his reported willingness to potentially allow Ganso to remain at Santos until at least January.
    The Man United boss has been bringing in youthful players to help the club in it’s transition as a number of Ferguson’s old guard call it a day. Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Edwin van der Sar all retired and Ryan Giggs is also nearing the end of his glittering career and 32 year old Rio Ferdinand is suffering with injury concerns.
    Over the past 18 months Ferguson has brought in the likes of Javier Hernandez, Chris Smalling, David de Gea and Phil Jones and given youngster Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck more first action and Man United chief executive has stated that funds are available for another summer signing.
    Man United have been strongly linked with moves to bring in a goal-scoring midfielder and apparently showed real interest in Samir Nasri, Wesley Sneijder and Luka Modric but appear to now further a move with more long term potential.
    Ganso appears to be the man to fill that gap, having netted 26 goals for Santos over the past two and a bit seasons. The youngster would surely relish the chance to move to the Premier League champions and join his fellow Brazilians Rafael, Fabio and Anderson at Old Trafford.

Yes yes i know, caught offside..blah..rag..blah blah..muppets etc etc

Im just throwing this out there, dont shoot the messenger :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Match thread for the Arsenal game here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I knew Welbeck was up for a review, good to see Clev is being rewarded too. No point in letting them think their efforts are not being rewarded. If they improve steadily and make the progress we all think they are capable of then I can see the same thing ahppening again this time next season. I actually though Danny was already on about £40-45K so the improved terms only put him to that now which is very good business indeed.

Just realised thats my 1,000th post. Only took me two and a half years :)

Imagine being 20 years old, playing football for the club you grew up supporting and on top of all that, they give you £40k a week?
    Carlsberg don't do dreams but if they did.......

Mitch, he talked about how he'd help them go about buying more than one league team which is obviously in against the rules. Most of the docu was pretty seedy but nothing substantial, particularly the stuff with Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mitch, he talked about how he'd help them go about buying more than one league team which is obviously in against the rules. Most of the docu was pretty seedy but nothing substantial, particularly the stuff with Ferguson.

report I read (Telegraph) stated they said they would not breach FA rules nor advise on how to do so.

Watch the documentary Mitch. It's fairly clear cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

BBC News: Alex Ferguson to lift boycott of all BBC outlets.

Can't wait to see him on Ready Steady Cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That_Guy wrote: »
    BBC News: Alex Ferguson to lift boycott of all BBC outlets.

Can't wait to see him on Ready Steady Cook.

If he goes on that he will continue his boycott and it will turn into "Can't cook, won't cook"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement