Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think it was a bit romantic of some people who wanted a tougher group.

The easier the CL group, the more we can concentrate on the PL, which might look a doddle now but we will quickly be reminded of it's gruesome and competitive nature. English sides have traditionally struggled in the PL when they have had a difficult European game midweek. Even more so when they play away from home in Europe, and then away from home in the PL.

Looking at our dates, we have 6 home games that we should win that directly correspond with our 6 CL games. That is a huge bonus. Another bonus is the fact City have a tough group AND have 6 away PL games that directly correspond with their 6 CL games.:D

Some crucial PL points could be gained during this period that could make a big difference come the end if the season, so we should all be very grateful that we've been handed such a comfortable group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It was a good post B, but jaysus once is enough!

Pro. F wrote: »
    It was a good post B, but jaysus once is enough!

Sorted:D

I hate it when that happens, the joys of posting from your phone on the dodgy touch version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Jaysus first time in a good while that i had to go onto the second page for this thread, lots of other soccer interest tonight.

Anyway its good to see Ando and Fabio taking an interest in the reserves last night.

ANDOFABIO.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Haven't been posting in here much at all recently, damn being busy sucks!

Great draw for United today, I do hope we get to meet Dortmund at some stage though, they play beautiful football, and would put up a good challenge to us and i'm sure it would be a good game, but as they say, to be the best, you have to beat the best!

Anyone know how hard it would be to get tickets for the away matches?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Haven't been posting in here much at all recently, damn being busy sucks!

Great draw for United today, I do hope we get to meet Dortmund at some stage though, they play beautiful football, and would put up a good challenge to us and i'm sure it would be a good game, but as they say, to be the best, you have to beat the best!

Anyone know how hard it would be to get tickets for the away matches?

Probably won't be too hard. I'll go to Lisbon and Basle. Although for Basle you have to fly into Zurich and commute by train. Only 70 km. You really have to go for 3 days because flights only leave at 17:00. For anybody planning the trip I'd recommend popping into a lovely French town called Saint Louis. Only a few KM for Basle. Fabulous town then head on to Paddy Reilly's in Basle for a few beers after.

Lisbon is a better area. Much more to do. Better flights and bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Not sure if this was already posted, but thought it was rather interesting,
    Neville says his England career was a waste of time.

Came across it as i was looking for some information on his autobiography, which is out on the 1st of September, 352 pages link

Also, Scholesys is out on the 29th of next month also, 256 pages link

Looking forward to those:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Being honest as an English person the national tournaments mean so little compared to what United mean to me. International football is a load of **** nowadays and the way that our players are scrutinised pisses me off a lot. **** England imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Lads,

I was planning to go to an away champions legue game this season and unfortunately will not be able to go the Benfica away because i will be in London that week thus the Basle trip would be the next best. How many nights would you recommend for this trip i.e fly out on a Tuesday back on Friday for example? and how would I go about getting a ticket for the game (with the away support of course);).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has said there will be no more signings for the club before the summer transfer window closes next week.

“I don’t think there will be any more new arrivals, no,” he admitted to Sky Sports. “We have looked at various players and are confident in the current squad we have at our disposal. We will progress with what we have now and Sir Alex will look to get the best out of them over the next few months."

Speaking at the Champions League draw in Monaco, where the Red Devils were favorably paired with Benfica, Basel and competition newcomers Otelul Galati from Romania, Gill stated his belief that the current squad was good enough for the club to challenge on all fronts.

“We are very happy with the squad we have - we made some great additions this summer and everyone is pointing out the young and vibrant look around our team. The most important person at the club is Sir Alex, though, and we look forward to a great season under him.

“Many other clubs have strengthened too, especially in England, but we feel we are well equipped for the many months that lie ahead of us.”

Giving his reaction to the draw, Gill said manager Sir Alex Ferguson had already indicated he was happy with United’s opponents for the group stages of Europe’s elite club competition.

“Sir Alex is happy with the draw, I have already received a text from him and he’s happy with who we have got," said Gill. "We have had great success in the last few years in the competition and we are looking forward to it again this year. This is the kick off to the European season and seeing all these big teams together means we are looking forward to it immensely."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Discodog wrote: »
    Manchester United chief executive David Gill has said there will be no more signings for the club before the summer transfer window closes next week.

“I don’t think there will be any more new arrivals, no,” he admitted to Sky Sports. “We have looked at various players and are confident in the current squad we have at our disposal. We will progress with what we have now and Sir Alex will look to get the best out of them over the next few months."
    Speaking at the Champions League draw in Monaco, where the Red Devils were favorably paired with Benfica, Basel and competition newcomers Otelul Galati from Romania, Gill stated his belief that the current squad was good enough for the club to challenge on all fronts.

“We are very happy with the squad we have - we made some great additions this summer and everyone is pointing out the young and vibrant look around our team. The most important person at the club is Sir Alex, though, and we look forward to a great season under him.

“Many other clubs have strengthened too, especially in England, but we feel we are well equipped for the many months that lie ahead of us.”

Giving his reaction to the draw, Gill said manager Sir Alex Ferguson had already indicated he was happy with United’s opponents for the group stages of Europe’s elite club competition.

“Sir Alex is happy with the draw, I have already received a text from him and he’s happy with who we have got," said Gill. "We have had great success in the last few years in the competition and we are looking forward to it again this year. This is the kick off to the European season and seeing all these big teams together means we are looking forward to it immensely."

So for more muppetry, roll on January!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Discodog wrote: »

CUE Muppet Explosion
    Explosion+on+Stage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

If this is true how come I just saw Sneijder walking the curry mile?

Huh David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

What a great draw we got in CL.

Tbh the group stages are looking more and more redundant, with the results becoming more and more predicatable as the years go buy.

I don't expect them to disappear anytime soon though, as long as theres a big revenue stream from them they're here to stay.

Great news about Robson too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My mates in Manchester said.....Ah never mind;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

CUE Muppet Explosion
    Explosion+on+Stage.jpg

you need to lay off redcafe a bit...i would actually say the love fest that is engulfing tom cleverly + the refusal to admit that we need a player in the middle, is 10 times worse than wanting and believeing a certain player will join.....

we need another player, thats not muppetry, thats reality and with a very difficult 7 games about to start, we are an injury or two away from a serious serious problem. this could be regretted in 6 weeks time.

Fergie has come out and said the FA treat United 'like sh*t'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

you need to lay off redcafe a bit...i would actually say the love fest that is engulfing tom cleverly + the refusal to admit that we need a player in the middle, is 10 times worse than wanting and believeing a certain player will join.....

we need another player, thats not muppetry, thats reality and with a very difficult 7 games about to start, we are an injury or two away from a serious serious problem. this could be regretted in 6 weeks time.

my thoughts on this aswell,i have to admit to being slightly bemused at not adding to our midfield,as well as cleverley has played so far a lot of minutes on the field have passed by him with him only intermittently bursting into life,he's young and will inevitably lose form at some stage,as you said an injury to anyone in midfield is going to stretch us ridiculously.
    we have been under pressure at times in our first 2 games(against week midfields) and imo we still need someone who can take the ball and keep possession and relieve pressure on our back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blatter wrote: »
    Fergie has come out and said the FA treat United 'like sh*t'.

Hs right really, they do seem to like making examples of Utd. Whether it's wise for him to say so remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well said - the same people claiming anyone who wanted United to sign Sneijder was 'a muppet' or that anyone claiming we need to sign someone is 'a muppet' will be the people saying our midfield isn't good enough in 2 months.

United are short a top class central midfielder and I honestly don't understand how anyone can be blind to that.

I still reckon there is a small chance we will get Sneijder in. I think a bid has been made and I think a contract offer has been given - it is on Sneijder to accept or reject, neither of which he has done at this stage. It is looking more likely that it will be a rejection (publicly or not) at this stage, but until Wednesday hits I reckon there is a chance either United or Sneijder (or both) will budge a bit.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Hs right really, they do seem to like making examples of Utd. Whether it's wise for him to say so remains to be seen.

I know he's dead right but I fear that he didn't plan on saying it and it came out in the heat of the moment.

It'll spark plenty of debate, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

United absolutely need to buy a midfield player, even with Fletcher potentially coming back, we are light on cover if nothing else there. If you believe that Cleverly and Anderson are the new first choice there (which I'm not convinced by yet) then that leaves cover of Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs. That is not going to win you the league if one player gets injured.

I'd like to see United buy a cover player, not necessarily a Sneider. Palacios looks like he is signing for Stoke, for me there are worse players United could look at sticking on the bench to add some depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jambofc wrote: »
    my thoughts on this aswell,i have to admit to being slightly bemused at not adding to our midfield,as well as cleverley has played so far a lot of minutes on the field have passed by him with him only intermittently bursting into life,he's young and will inevitably lose form at some stage,as you said an injury to anyone in midfield is going to stretch us ridiculously.
    we have been under pressure at times in our first 2 games(against week midfields) and imo we still need someone who can take the ball and keep possession and relieve pressure on our back 4.
    Right now United are 1 player better off in midfield (and that's not including Pogba) than last season. I don't remember any crisis arising last season with midfielders and Fletcher should be back in 1 or 2 weeks although he'll probably take a while to get back.

Draupnir wrote: »
    United absolutely need to buy a midfield player, even with Fletcher potentially coming back, we are light on cover if nothing else there. If you believe that Cleverly and Anderson are the new first choice there (which I'm not convinced by yet) then that leaves cover of Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs. That is not going to win you the league if one player gets injured.

I'd like to see United buy a cover player, not necessarily a Sneider. Palacios looks like he is signing for Stoke, for me there are worse players United could look at sticking on the bench to add some depth.

Parker or Barton, two lads clearly available, would be decent squad additions imo. Lass Diara, another I believe to be available at a decent price, would be a good signing too - potentially a great one. those 3 are also possibly better fits style wise than Sneijder. I'm sure there are a number of others that would be more than useful additions to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

thing is though, while we lack balls in midfield, our issue is not prevention, its creation. diarra, parker and those type of players would be good, no doubt about it, but what we need is somebody to hold onto the ball and create something, when all else is failing and also, above all else, pop into the box consistently from midfield and get goals.

our creation and conversion of chances from the middle is really poor. cleverly has 2 assist so far, thats great, but we need more than tom cleverly.

we already have enough grafters and defensive minded players in the team such as park, fletcher, carrick, even anderson. none of them are going to lay on 10 assists a season and knock in with 10 goals, which is what you need every year from 2, if not 3 of your central players.

Liam O wrote: »
    Right now United are 1 player better off in midfield (and that's not including Pogba) than last season. I don't remember any crisis arising last season with midfielders and Fletcher should be back in 1 or 2 weeks although he'll probably take a while to get back.

You can't include Pogba is an option in the senior midfield. He is inexperienced. He might play a bit part in the league when we are up by a goal or two but that is it.
    We are already a midfielder down from last season with Scholes retiring so any major injuries and we are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

We had Paul Scholes last season.

seemingly Paul Scholes has become a very average midfielder who contributed very little last season, according to some on here.

completely forgot about that, but Cleverly should play a lot more this season than Scholes did last season.

• Advertisement

seemingly Paul Scholes has become a very average midfielder who contributed very little last season, according to some on here.

That is a reflection on their ability in understanding football, not on Paul Scholes ability to play football, dictate the pace of the game, etc.

Well said - the same people claiming anyone who wanted United to sign Sneijder was 'a muppet' or that anyone claiming we need to sign someone is 'a muppet' will be the people saying our midfield isn't good enough in 2 months.

United are short a top class central midfielder and I honestly don't understand how anyone can be blind to that.

I still reckon there is a small chance we will get Sneijder in. I think a bid has been made and I think a contract offer has been given - it is on Sneijder to accept or reject, neither of which he has done at this stage. It is looking more likely that it will be a rejection (publicly or not) at this stage, but until Wednesday hits I reckon there is a chance either United or Sneijder (or both) will budge a bit.

The thing about Sneijder is, he has refused to come out so far and say 'I'm definitely staying at Inter' which would bring closure to the matter.

Until he does that, the door is still open.

Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if things came to a head on deadline day and one side budges. We will have to wait and see.

killwill wrote: »
    That is a reflection on their ability in understanding football, not on Paul Scholes ability to play football, dictate the pace of the game, etc.
    While I don't like criticising him, he did visibly decline last season and that is what is really behind his retirement imo, that he himself was feeling it. Was great to bring on late and run down a game but just always seemed half a yard off what he was the seasons before...

How would you rate Paul Scholes' contribution to the team on a whole last season, on a scale of 1-10?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Parker or Barton, two lads clearly available, would be decent squad additions imo. Lass Diara, another I believe to be available at a decent price, would be a good signing too - potentially a great one. those 3 are also possibly better fits style wise than Sneijder. I'm sure there are a number of others that would be more than useful additions to the squad.

Barton clearly doesnt want to leave Newcastle even though he has had a medical and been offered 80k per week by QPR, do you think we would pay Barton 80k per week to have as a backup option? People were saying that Young wasnt worth the 140 he was rumoured to get and he was signed to go straight into the first team.

I reckon given time, faith and a run of games that Cleverley and Anderson can form a partnership that will become a great one, with the likes of Carrick Giggs and Fletch there to step in if a different style/extra body/experience is needed. Also there as backup is Park who can do a job in the middle of a 5 if required and Gibson is also still at the club despite being injured at the minute.

As I can make out that is 6 senior options in the middle, with Pogba on the fringes of the squad who might make a few CC appearances and dead rubber games in the CL. Hardly short on quantity or quality IMO.
    killwill wrote: »
    You can't include Pogba is an option in the senior midfield. He is inexperienced. He might play a bit part in the league when we are up by a goal or two but that is it.
    We are already a midfielder down from last season with Scholes retiring so any major injuries and we are in serious trouble.

He didn't include Pogba he said that is not including Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

completely forgot about that, but Cleverly should play a lot more this season than Scholes did last season.

Agreed.

TBH, I do feel we're light in midfield, certainly wouldn't mind/ have minded selling/loaning a striker for another midfielder, even just for cover. Someone solid that can stay fit.

• Advertisement

How would you rate Paul Scholes' contribution to the team on a whole last season, on a scale of 1-10?

You have to look at how he was used. If you were expecting him to be a 90min week in week out player, his contribution was poor enough alright.

If you were expecting him to be an integral squad player, playing specific games and coming on as a sub to take control of games late on and close out games, he was very good imo

He couldn't do week in week out full matches, and when required to (due to injuries) you could see him suffer for it - which is why he retired.

IMO we have lost a player from last years midfield who had fantastic ability and vision - but lacked the stamina for regular games at the top level, I think he could have still done a very good job for us this season. For what it is worth, I also think (and stated many times) that our central midfield options were not good enough last season either.

For me, Cleverley has replaced Gibson in the first team squad (and is a much better player imo) but we still lack a top class central midfielder, and it will be shown up this season.

Our defence, wingers and forward options are among the very best around, which is why I still think we have a very very good chance of winning the league and going far in Europe, but I think a top class addtion to the midfield, which should have been made, would push us on to another level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

We've lost Scholes, Hargreaves (Granted, hasn't played a role in a long time, but always the possibility he could come back) and possibly Gibson (looks like his days are numbered, although this will probably help us!). Gained Cleverley.

Best case we are even, with a less experienced player.

Still need a player in there, without a doubt.

Our defence, wingers and forward options are among the very best around, which is why I still think we have a very very good chance of winning the league and going far in Europe, but I think a top class addtion to the midfield, which should have been made, would push us on to another level.

I know I am only taking a select bit from here but I do mainly agree with your summation of Scholes' last season.

Just two questions on the last bit though.
    1. Is the top midfielder you are referring to Sneijder, or are you just referring to a top midfielder in general such as Modric/Nasri/the next big thing?

2. In my view we are on par with Madrid, behind Barca and ahead of the rest, although Chelsea are making a serious push to get level with us and may well be if they get Modric. Do you think that that one addition would push us on to Barca's level?

While I don't like criticising him, he did visibly decline last season and that is what is really behind his retirement imo, that he himself was feeling it. Was great to bring on late and run down a game but just always seemed half a yard off what he was the seasons before...

Of course he was in decline, it was there for everyone to see, the late tackles were getting even more late!!!!
    But seriously though, his intelligence and ability to dictate the game and experience on the pitch will be sorely missed this season.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Barton clearly doesnt want to leave Newcastle even though he has had a medical and been offered 80k per week by QPR, do you think we would pay Barton 80k per week to have as a backup option? People were saying that Young wasnt worth the 140 he was rumoured to get and he was signed to go straight into the first team.

I reckon given time, faith and a run of games that Cleverley and Anderson can form a partnership that will become a great one, with the likes of Carrick Giggs and Fletch there to step in if a different style/extra body/experience is needed. Also there as backup is Park who can do a job in the middle of a 5 if required and Gibson is also still at the club despite being injured at the minute.

As I can make out that is 6 senior options in the middle, with Pogba on the fringes of the squad who might make a few CC appearances and dead rubber games in the CL. Hardly short on quantity or quality IMO.

He didn't include Pogba he said that is not including Pogba.

Park is sh1t in the middle imo. Gibson is sh1t in general imo.

We have Cleverley, Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs as reliable CM options this season, imo, and Pogba is at least a year away, regardless of the hype - his positioning and work rate need a lot of work. Which means, for me, we are relying on a lad who is only really starting to play CM, a notoriously inconsistent fella, a guy derided by most on here last season and the two previous, a fella who was well below par when fit last season and is a long way off match readiness now (imo) and a 37 year old.

Cleverley and Anderson do have great potential as a CM pairing - i've said that many times, but it is more likely to go wrong than be the next Scholes/Keane, Gerrard/Alonso, Viera/Petit. Carrick could go either way and can do on a game to game basis. Giggs could (and probably will!) continue to amaze everyone with his staying power. Fletcher may return to his 09/10 best. Everything may work our brilliantly and those saying we need a midfield could be made look stupid - but being pragmatic (and pessimistic) I think the need for a CM will be shown many times this season. Hopefully the rest of our side being top freaking quality will make up for it as it did a lot of last season.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind a midfielder being signed by any means but I think it's fine as it is tbh. Not Sneijder anyway as I feel he would take up the role that Rooney has been playing so well in recently despite the fact he can play the CM imo and stunt Cleverly, Welbeck and even Hernandez's development. Someone who can be first choice but in a position to rotate and wouldn't throw a tantrum would be perfect.

You have to look at how he was used. If you were expecting him to be a 90min week in week out player, his contribution was poor enough alright.

If you were expecting him to be an integral squad player, playing specific games and coming on as a sub to take control of games late on and close out games, he was very good imo
    He couldn't do week in week out full matches, and when required to (due to injuries) you could see him suffer for it - which is why he retired.

IMO we have lost a player from last years midfield who had fantastic ability and vision - but lacked the stamina for regular games at the top level, I think he could have still done a very good job for us this season. For what it is worth, I also think (and stated many times) that our central midfield options were not good enough last season either.

For me, Cleverley has replaced Gibson in the first team squad (and is a much better player imo) but we still lack a top class central midfielder, and it will be shown up this season.

I would say Scholes was useful to have at times(only the start of the season really, he had a great game at Fulham and against Newcastle on the opening day) and a hindrance to the team on other occasions.(specifically the FA cup semi final, and after the first 30 mins of the league game at Stamford Bridge)

He contributed next to nothing in the important league games at the back end of the season and played little to no part in the team reaching the CL final.

I don't want to sound like I'm cutting the back of the man purposely to prove a point, because I'll be eternally grateful to the great service he gave the club, but the 'we need to replace Scholes' line is bollicks. If we sign Sneijder, it will have had little to do with replacing Schokes.

I don't take issue at all with people wanting us to sign a world class midfielder because they feel we need one, but we don't need one because Schokes retired and it's ridiculous when people use that line to fuel their desire for one.

VW1, I'd strongly disagree that we are on par with Real Madrid.

Themselves and Barcelona are way out in front of the rest of us imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the reason you need a midfield player is because it is a long season.

Cleverley is young, and there's absolutely no guarantee that he will stand up to scrutiny over a long season. it'll be a phenomenal achievement if he plays 40+ games and has largely been up-to-standard.

Anderson still has to prove his worth over the course of more than a dozen games.

IF they work out, then Ferguson will have been entirely justified in not paying the sums, but the odds are, IMO, that another experienced, top quality midfield player, would do wonders, and make the season a lot more comfortable.

VW1, I'd strongly disagree that we are on par with Real Madrid.

Themselves and Barcelona are way out in front of the rest of us imo.

To be honest with you, squad-wise I agree with you.

But the only way we will face them is in a two leg tie in the CL knockout stages and imo it would be 50/50 as to who would win.

But if we were to play Barca it would be more likely 9/10 Barca will win.

Park is sh1t in the middle imo. Gibson is sh1t in general imo.

We have Cleverley, Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs as reliable CM options this season, imo, and Pogba is at least a year away, regardless of the hype - his positioning and work rate need a lot of work. Which means, for me, we are relying on a lad who is only really starting to play CM, a notoriously inconsistent fella, a guy derided by most on here last season and the two previous, a fella who was well below par when fit last season and is a long way off match readiness now (imo) and a 37 year old.

Cleverley and Anderson do have great potential as a CM pairing - i've said that many times, but it is more likely to go wrong than be the next Scholes/Keane, Gerrard/Alonso, Viera/Petit. Carrick could go either way and can do on a game to game basis. Giggs could (and probably will!) continue to amaze everyone with his staying power. Fletcher may return to his 09/10 best. Everything may work our brilliantly and those saying we need a midfield could be made look stupid - but being pragmatic (and pessimistic) I think the need for a CM will be shown many times this season. Hopefully the rest of our side being top freaking quality will make up for it as it did a lot of last season.

Park isnt great in CM which would be why I had him as someone who can do a job if needs be, obviously he wouldnt be starting or playing in any big or important games in that position.

You really make it a lot more simple (and pessimistic) than it needs to be. Obivously Cleverley is a big if, I reckon if he plays around 20-25 games this season at a decent level he will look back and consider it a successful breakthrough season.

This is the first time Ando has had a proper preseason since joining the club, he looks fit sharp and hungry and there is nothing there to suggest he wont be able to continue in this vein as long as his injuries are behind him.

Carrick apart from the CL final had a good end to the season and I dont think there is any reason we should expect for that to change.

Fletcher had suffered a dip in form before his illness and we have no way of knowing what form he will come back in, but one thing is for sure he is the most dogged hard working player at the club and will do all he can to get back to his best.

If we got another body in, well and good but I dont think that we are short on numbers and Sneijder definitely isnt the answer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »

Cleverley is young, and there's absolutely no guarantee that he will stand up to scrutiny over a long season. it'll be a phenomenal achievement if he plays 40+ games and has largely been up-to-standard.

Anderson still has to prove his worth over the course of more than a dozen games.

IF they work out, then Ferguson will have been entirely justified in not paying the sums, but the odds are, IMO, that another experienced, top quality midfield player, would do wonders, and make the season a lot more comfortable.

Would agree 100% with this.

I have never bought into the "United have a weak squad" or the "United have a crap midfield" rubbish that seems to pop up every season for the last ten years or so.

United as a team and United's midfield as a unit have been, and still are, title challenging. This season will be no different.

But I do think that a quality midfielder would make a massive difference, specifically a metronome style midfielder a la Xabi Alonso. That kind of midfielder would turn United, in my opinion of course, from being the title challenging team they are and have been, and into a dominant team that would be to the English league what Barca are currently in Spain. Not in style of play of course, but in sheer dominating play.

The player that I think could turn United into that team already playes in the EPL and I am sure that many will totally disagree with me over him, but it is Tom Huddlestone.

His age is one of the reasons people come out with chestnuts about how he has not developed enough yet. Because he started playing so young he often appears older than he is. At 24 he is still a young midfielder but he is one that has strength, really good positioning, reads the game well, is an excellent passer, is adaptable enough to perform well at both ends of the pitch and will only get better with experience.

For me United's current squad plus Huddlestone in a metronome role would be a bast*rd of a team to come up against. Pretty much why I would love to see him end up at Liverpool. :D

SlickRic wrote: »

I'm a very big fan of the Carrick-Giggs pairing and believe that when (and this is pretty inevitable) Clev and Anderson start to wane that they can step in and hold the reins.

I also think that Gibson should be kept hold of because he is a great 6th choice option and if Fletcher can get back to a decent standard in the next month or so then we're laughing.

A top quality player like Sneijder would be pretty undroppable and with players like Welbeck, Cleverly and Hernandez (hopefully Pogba next season or in CC) needing as many games as possible I can see someone like him to be a hindrance.

The perfect signing would be someone who while would be bought as first choice wouldn't be regarded as a top top player and expecting to play every game so the youngsters get their chance. I'd prefer a more defensive minded player in all honesty because the team really lacked a bit of steel in a lot of away games last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

wese.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

All this worrying about our midfield is unnecessary.

Anderson and Cleverly are going to crush.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement