Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Good interview with Nani on the BBC this morning - he has gone up in my estimation :D

Funny to hear him referring to mentoring the younger players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Discodog wrote: »
    Good interview with Nani on the BBC this morning - he has gone up in my estimation :D

Funny to hear him referring to mentoring the younger players.

Agree with that. He always seems so humble in his interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The police wont be too pleased with that draw.

good chance to give lads a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Really good read about Hargreaves.
    Think its too late to take him back? :pac:

I would take him back in a heartbeat. If he works out at another club, I think Alex might actually regret letting him go just as he is about to get back on his feet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Player Rating results for the Spurs game. A fairly unsurprising result all round I think, Jones deserves top rating imo.

Name|Avrage Rating
    Jones | 8.67
    Welbeck | 8.45
    Rooney | 7.91
    Anderson | 7.88
    Evans | 7.61
    Young | 7.55
    Cleverley | 7.45
    Smalling | 7.36
    De Gea | 6.67
    Evra | 6.39
    Nani | 6.3
    Giggs | 6.12
    Park | 5.55
    Hernandez | 5.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Robbie Brady supposedly scored a corker, 40 yards out on the touchline and he lobbed the keeper.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Robbie Brady

:)

Robbie Brady's just scored for Hull. Doing very well since joining them.

Suppose everyone's watching Soccer Saturday! :D

Just heard Robbie Brady has scored from 40 yards out for Hull .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I really hope Hargo can play football at a decent level again, so unlucky with injuries, shows the importance of not rushing back or playing with niggling injuries

Jusr came across this pic and had to post it.

greatpiclawwh8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I've found the answer to our midfield problems. Lucas!

Just watched the Liverpool match there. Sign him now Fergie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Lucas pfft..

We have Carrick and Giggs. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I've found the answer to our midfield problems. Lucas!

Just watched the Liverpool match there. Sign him now Fergie!
    I lol'd.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to who's starting up front tomorrow?

edit: 100 posts! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I lol'd.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to who's starting up front tomorrow?

I'll tell you who's starting up front tomorrow:D

Rooney and Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Rooney/Wellbeck..........not done much wrong so far

Rooney and Chico if he is fit i would hope and expect to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I think I read a quote from Ferge's press conference earlier that alluded to it being Rooney and Welbeck starting tomorrow. Can't remember offhand exactly what he said or where I read it but will have a look!

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    Rooney and Chico if he is fit i would hope and expect to start.

Chico is fit but has only played about 10 mins of football over the last 2 months. Not a chance he will start. Almost impossible to drop Welbeck after his cameo v Spurs anyway.

Welbeck and Rooney are gonna start. Chicho will come on then for a run about. He will score. That is all.

A couple of tomorrow's papers are running stories along the lines of this. From The People so unsure how believable it is.
    Manchester CITY new boy Samir Nasri was SNUBBED by rivals United – after he reneged on an initial promise to sign for them.

Nasri went cap in hand back to Old Trafford when he feared his £24m move to the Etihad was about to collapse due to a dispute over agent fees.

But furious United chiefs slammed the door in the Frenchman’s face despite him making a ­personal plea to revive the deal with the champions.

People Sport has been told the full bombshell details of Nasri’s negotiations with both Manchester clubs – as the Frenchman prepares to make his City debut at Tottenham today.

We have learned that the French midfielder personally agreed a £7m-a-year deal with Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

We can reveal Nasri is being paid almost £40,000-a-week MORE at City than he would have earned at United, making a mockery of the player’s claim that his move from Arsenal was for football, rather than financial, reasons.

Fergie and Nasri met in Paris during the summer with the player’s representatives in tow and after a deal was thrashed out the player confirmed he was thrilled at the prospect of becoming a United player.

The transfer stalled – and later collapsed altogether – when Nasri’s agents insisted on a massive £4m tax-free as their cut.

United refused to cough up the cash, leaving the way clear for moneybags City to make a more lucrative, £9m-a-year offer.

Nasri quickly agreed the terms but then, remarkably, his switch to the Etihad Stadium also came close to falling through over his agents’ demands.

City were reluctant to pay up and it was at that point that Nasri himself contacted United and tried to reignite his move there.

But the Old Trafford hierarchy, furious at the player’s change of heart, were having none of it.

Unimpressed by Nasri’s agents’ behaviour and the player’s willingness to chase more money from City, they told him in no uncertain terms that they were not interested.

That left Nasri in limbo and he turned out for Arsenal in their 2-0 home defeat by Liverpool eight days ago.

Only when City later agreed to meet the agents’ demands was Nasri able to complete his move north.

Blatter wrote: »
    Chico is fit but has only played about 10 mins of football over the last 2 months. Not a chance he will start. Almost impossible to drop Welbeck after his cameo v Spurs anyway.

Welbeck was pretty poor for almost 60 mins against Spurs, his game needs a lot of work especially his first touch which can be quite poor at times.If Chico was fully fit i would start him, if not match fit then maybe the last 30 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Agents will be the downfall of football ultimately

mars bar wrote: »
    Agents will be the downfall of football ultimately

And Djibril Cissé. Bloody Cissé!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

this chant is lodged into my ****in brain from earlier, everyone was singing it, and now so i have been for the 2 hours, everyone knows it of course

saw my mate, the other day,
    said to me he seen a white Pele,
    so I asked, who is he,
    he goes by the name of Wayne Rooney,

Wayne Rooney, Wayne Rooney,
    he goes by the name of Wayne Rooney

Cant wait for tomorrows game

Hes gonna have a stormer this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Taken from Red Nev's book.
    There aren’t many big decisions you can point to and say the manager called that one wrong. But when in February 2002 the boss revealed that he wouldn’t be retiring after all, we were all very happy deep down.

I say ‘all’ but Dwight Yorke’s face dropped because he was being left out and he could maybe start afresh under a new manager. The boss had barely left the room when Roy Keane piped up: ‘Well, that’s you f*****, Yorkie.’

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Here's to a good match against us in the CC!

The pains of being a united fan.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/948547/netherton:-the-sensation-of-pain-that-united-must-suffer?cc=5739
    A diminished or non-existent ability to experience joy or happiness, a tendency to dwell on negative emotions, continued sensations of helplessness and hopelessness, a reduced sex drive and thoughts of suicide.

GettyImages
    United fans: The agony and the agony
    These are all symptoms of depression, but just as strongly, they're the side effects of supporting Manchester United. You might replace Manchester United with the name of most big sides and the comparison would hold, but Manchester United have a particular position in football which exposes their fans to the most suffering. If you know a Manchester United fan, do not envy the success of the team. No, feel their pain.

When Manchester United defeat Wolves, it's unremarkable. Nobody really cares. Both sets of fans go to watch the match expecting a rout, and more often than not that's what they see. The possibility of a small team beating Manchester United is so unlikely that often the smaller team gives up ahead of time, playing a second-string XI in order to conserve resources to use in a more balanced match. The three points won by United will be noted in the most perfunctory manner by most of the press. It can hold no shock value.

So when victory becomes cursory and routine, the novelty wears off. A victory against Tottenham? No great shakes. Beating Blackburn 7-1? To be expected. If your team played games that held no meaning for 95% of the season, mere obstacles rather than challenges, then you to would experience the same dulled response.

When United lose unexpectedly, though, the defeat has far greater impact than on the average supporter. They will experience draws and defeats on a regular basis. Inevitably, the sensation of pain will become familiar. For Manchester United fans, defeat is such a shock to the system that the pain is sharper and more poignant. Anybody with a sense of empathy will feel sorrow on the behalf of a Manchester United fan experiencing one of the three or four defeats they can expect in a year.

It's not just victory that means nothing, it's most signings. Should Manchester United end their business now, they will have bought David de Gea, a keeper of fantastic potential, Phil Jones, the most talented English young centre-back available this summer and Ashley Young, a player of proven ability in the Premier League.

All potentially great buys, but the summer is a dark time. Why? Because Wesley Sneijder might reject them. The same has already gone for Samir Nasri, who joined rivals City. Once you're used to such relentless acquisition, the transfer conveyor belt becomes numbing because it is not all conclusive - a Manchester United fan is always missing out on something. Relentless success can only emphasise the negative.

Because the stakes are so high - a season is a success only if the league or Champions League is brought home - a victory the following Saturday is only slight succour. For a Manchester United fan, negative emotions last the full year, until the Premier League is reclaimed. Imagine the awful period of 2004-2006 where Manchester United went without domestic or European success. The moping period was inhumanely painful.

Manchester United are the biggest side in Britain. In terms of fans, they may well be the biggest side in the world. So, the contribution from each fan is diluted by the sheer weight of their peers. If one fan is unhappy, he will be drowned out by the others. In light of the Glazer scandal, this highlights one of the problems of supporting Manchester United. Just as in depression, you feel insignificant.

When dissident supporters gave up their season tickets in protest at the debt leveraging and ticket price increases, there was always a new supporter ready to take over the subscription. Despite the valid protest any disenchanted fan was making by withholding financial support, there would be another fan happy to pay a higher price to get a seat at Old Trafford. If depression engenders a sense of hopelessness, then making a protest that's nothing more than pyrrhic has a similar effect.

Most teams have one great rival. Tottenham have Arsenal, Barcelona have Real Madrid. Support Manchester United, and it's far worse. By virtue of history and geography, it's not that easy. You can make a case that in the last decade alone, Manchester United have established or continued bitter enmity with Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City.

Upon each game rests real hatred. The battle of league titles and European Cups continues with Liverpool as the scores close on parity. Arsenal have 'Pizzagate', title run-ins and mutual aggression dating back to the nineties.

GettyImages
    This poor young wretch can barely know yet the suffering he has let himself in for
    Chelsea were the nouveau riche who came close to knocking Manchester United off their own particular perch as the dominant force in England. Manchester City are trying the same deal, with the added frisson of a history of location and envy. Until the Dubai takeover, Mike Summerbee had been the one man to keep it going, but now you have regular dispute over the same trophies and players. So many enemies engender a sense of persecution, another symptom of depression.

While most of the games don't matter to a Manchester United fan, the ones that do are played at a fever pitch. The sheer height of emotion must push a significant number of people to the brink of a serious life decision if they lose.

Helplessness, hopelessness, negative feeling overtaking your life. While you might consider winning the Premier League with a dysfunctional squad a great relief, all it does when you're suffering from Manchester United is give you 'The Fear' as you fret for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭parc

I'm gonna watch the arsenal match today and reserve judgement on our mid-field til after the game. Then I'll give my thoughts on it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Anyone who isn't happy when their team wins should be immediately discarded as a glory fan imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a great game by us today, yes we looked dodgy in the back but going forward we were out of this world. I know it was against a team missing numerous players and will find it hard to get a Cl spot this season unless they invest but the team was just magic today

I still think its too early to say is this cm is good enough but they really did themselves justice today. I wasnt an ando fan but he's starting to win me over tbh. He was superb today. Rooney, what can I can I say? If he keeps this up he'll be on par with the Likes of Messi and Ronaldo

Saf proved me wrong with the signing of Young, he has been superb this season so far, himself and Rooney have great chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Life is good.

According to Raphael Honigstein, Uniteds team had an even younger average age today than Arsenal, and yet some pundits seemed to be bandying about the excuse beforehand about Arsenals age and experience being their downfall today!

United: 23.09yrs
    Arsenal: 23.63 yrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Headshot wrote: »
    Saf proved me wrong with the signing of Young, he has been superb this season so far, himself and Rooney have great chemistry.

Looks to have stepped his game so far in the first three games, good start.

Love the sig ;)
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Life is good.

Life is great, top of the league...i think :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Vanbis wrote: »
    Looks to have stepped his game so far in the first three games, good start.

Love the sig ;)

paddy was kind to me again today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

dimitri-anderson-danceiujo.gif

That was so strange.

While Anderson was brilliant and Rooney was imperious, I couldnt help but feel that we weren't even going full tilt. It was like playing against an amateur side out there in some parts. Evra and Nani and to a lesser extent Evans were actually quite poor. De Gea I was pleased with, made 4 great saves and then the ball shoots through his legs. Ashley Young was brilliant, what a signing, he looks a real winner, but his final ball needs to improve. If Ashley Young had Valencia's delivery he would be up with the best wingers in the world. Was desperate for Chicharito to score, he didnt really have an impact. Such a shame to see Welbz go off, hoping it's a 2 week job, because he has the United mentality. Park :)

Also, Rooney on free kicks then yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Headshot wrote: »
    paddy was kind to me again today :D

Your some man for a betting :D, great when they come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I have to say I really like Smalling, has played very good at right back, great player to have.

Anderson did very well too.

• Advertisement

Jones going forward worries me a bit . Does it too much we're going to get caught out if he keeps doing it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

And the icing on the cake is knowing that all these young players will improve:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Rooney moving up the all time top scorers list, hopefully he can leapfrog a few more legends by the end of the season.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=735&filename=yispq.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Has Mitch been on yet with the players rating thingy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fúck me did my eyes deceive me?.....8 - 2? Roll on Match of The Day 2, I need to see the highlights pronto.

Fúck me did my eyes deceive me?.....8 - 2? Roll on Match of The Day 2, I need to see the highlights pronto.
    why wait till then ? . 101 great goals should have them up already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Getting up to 180 wouldn't be unfeasible imo.

When was the last time we hit 8 goals at Old Trafford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

G.K. wrote: »
    Getting up to 180 wouldn't be unfeasible imo.

This season you mean?

Are they all goals, or league goals?

Also, Rooney said he scored his first ever PL goal, his first goal for Manchester United, his hundredth and hundred and fiftieth goals for United, all against Arsenal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

City score 5 at Spurs.Nasri n Dzecko have a field day and we go and get 8 to rob all the headlines n top the table!!!

YAHOOO..........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement