Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Javi Martinez would be awesome signing, hopefully we are atleast interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I think fergie will ask scholes to come out of retirement for 6 months

Are you taking the piss? :) I seen you mention this before, it just not that easy. Even If he did agree to come back it would take months of training just to get into match shape again. Would make Scholes + the club look very silly also after his testimonial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

scholes isn't an option, but Beckham could be, on a free - though his contract would be a big one.

I really do hope we go for a long term option in January - someone like Martinez or Tiote. we don't have CL registration to worry about this year. Whomever we may buy may not be available in the Europa League but if that is the case so be it - we'd be conceding the league if we don't do something big in January imo. I felt we needed reinforcements before Vidc and Fletcher were lost to the squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

scholes isn't an option, but Beckham could be, on a free - though his contract would be a big one..

Ya reckon? I think Beckham would gladly finish his career at UTD for free if he could.

Although I really couldn't see this happening anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Another reason for Fergie to open the checkbook in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

laugh if you must, but Wes Hoolahan is a cracking footballer and could do a job for us.

Would never happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Any chance Barca could loan us one of their peripheral midfielders now that we're not in direction competition with them?

Doesn't matter which one, they're all world class! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Sad news on Fletcher, hope he can get back soon as we really need competition in the middle of the park. Hopefully Fergie can get some talent in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Trilla wrote: »
    laugh if you must, but Wes Hoolahan is a cracking footballer and could do a job for us.

Would never happen though.
    Ok. Ha ha ha ha.

I've always liked him since his time at Shels where it was only a matter of time until a British club came looking as he was imo the best player in the league by a long way.

I've always looked out for how he was doing with each club since but I think he has found his level where he is,maybe not at Norwich but bottom half of the Premiership.
    As much as I like the lad he is way off the level we should be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

First off I wish Fletcher all the best and hope he is back playing as soon as he can, but he has to look after his health.

Now on the issue of our midfield. We have to buy somebody in January it really is a must now no question. Like to see maybe one the young lads get chance, but don't think Fergie has enough confidence in them at moment for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Just read the news on Fletcher, another blow to the current list of injuries we have. If we can come through the current month and January and still in the chase will have a good chance. I really hope SAF will now try and sign at least two quality midfield signings in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

If we signed Javi Martinez they would be cleaning up this place for weeks after...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If we signed Javi Martinez they would be cleaning up this place for weeks after...

Been waiting a long time for it to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Very sad to hear about Fletcher and tbh I don’t think he will ever play properly again (as in full season) as i have the same illness(diagnosed 3 years ago at the age of 27) and know what it does to you.

It can go into remission but comes back (it’s a lifelong illness with no cure) mine eased up for a year and then came back. No energy weight loss and a multitude of other embarrassing symptoms occur when you have a flare up. Some people can go into remission for years (i wish) but I think the best we and Fletcher can hope for is to play some part in the next few seasons.

Wish him all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well he the dream signing, but i think he is highly unlikely.

i think rodwell would be our best bet if we were going to sign somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Genuinely wouldnt be a bit surprised if we signed nobody to replace him in January, the most likely outcome for me being a loan deal, dont think the Becks thing would ever happen tbh, wouldnt actually suit either party in anything other then fantasy land

Martinez would be fantastic, but can see him going to Madrid and if we sniff around im sure they will make an offer too, remote possibility Barca could be interested in him also

The likes of Tiote, who we would have to pay through the nose for, or Rodwell, similar story are more likely imo, maybe not Tiote. Think Rodwell will be tried in the summer either way so if its going to happen it may as well happen in January

Probably gonna just see more of Gibson/Giggs/Jones and Rooney in the midfield though tbh

Till Rio ineviatbly gets injured anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I really hope we don't sign Rodwell.

Sad news re Fletcher, hope he gets well soon

kryogen wrote: »
    Genuinely wouldnt be a bit surprised if we signed nobody to replace him in January,

exactly, year after year we are spun bulls*it by the club about this and that and we always end up disappointed.

i thought this summer would see that end and we would get the player needed and it looked like happening until the "we may wait one more year" s*ite came from Gill.

its thought me never to expect anything from this club again. We need to buy in January, weve need to buy a CM for about 4 years now.

but we are no reaching the biggest crisis in CM in a long long time and its as good a time to buy as any. fergies biggest ever mistake was not replacing scholes this summer, he can rectify this with a proper signing in January.

its too late for our CL and its why i believe its his biggest mistake, but he can save our PL campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Terrible news about Fletcher. I was wondering what happened to him over the last 12 months because he looked all set to me to become one of the best in the game. Really hope he gets better quickly, he has always been such a hardworking and honest player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Fellaini wouldn't be a bad sgining though long term,Fletcher recovering would be the desired option but that seems unlikely with the release of his problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fellani just gives away too many fouls for me, silly ones, and his first touch isnt good enough for us, I do like plenty about him though if those things could be worked on, afaik he recently signed an extension also so became out of our price range.

SAF always has an excuse, no quality available or they are cup-tied in europe. Everyone knows you can't replace the likes of Keane, Scholes but you can find playes with simliar qualities. SAF said after the final against Barcelona that they are the bench mark. If thats the case we need to be signing players like Javier Martinez. Everyone could see the midfield was going to struggle this season with the retirement of Scholes.

Vanbis wrote: »
    . Everyone could see the midfield was going to struggle this season with the retirement of Scholes.

he did see it himself too, but for some reason decided to wait. did they i wonder put all their eggs in the sneidjer basket and expected him to sign, then pulled out when things went belly up?

there were 3 players on the list for that one position. one was sneidjer, possibly the 2nd was nasri, though maybe not seen as gill said this after nasri was city bound.

i still have never found out who the 3rd was. it probably is rodwell IMO and then if its not nasri as the 2nd, its a signing that nobody has linked us to.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Absolutely gutted to hear the news about Fletcher. One of those players who gave 100% every game, and while possibly not the most talented player to ever wear a Utd shirt, he was definitely one of the most committed.

We really do need to spend this January, and I would like to see us spend big, get in 2 good CMs and let them gel over the rest of the season and avoid any increase in value from a good Euro12 performance, think of the price increase we could have seen for Chico.

While I'll say straight out that I have been critical of Fergie with respect to transfers and our CM, how did he let it get to this stage. I feel terrible for Fletcher, but this has been a cause of concern behind the doors at OT for a long time now and how Fergie took the gambles he's taken with regard to our midfield is shocking.

Once again though it's day like this that show what's really important and I feel terrible for Darren. How does this temporary retirement work vis-a-vis an income for Darren will he still be paid by the club or (hopefully he has some) by an insurer?

he did see it himself too, but for some reason decided to wait. did they i wonder put all their eggs in the sneidjer basket and expected him to sign, then pulled out when things went belly up?

there were 3 players on the list for that one position. one was sneidjer, possibly the 2nd was nasri, though maybe not seen as gill said this after nasri was city bound.

i still have never found out who the 3rd was. it probably is rodwell IMO and then if its not nasri as the 2nd, its a signing that nobody has linked us to.

I've no doubt Sneijder was the number one choice but when you look at the wages and over all package it seemed a bit rich even for a club like Manutd. I'm not the biggest fan of Sneijder but then again i've never really watched him play that much. He seems to have more bad games then good for Inter when i have watched. If he wanted to move clubs he could've dropped his wage demands but he didn't. Also he seems to be injured alot lately this season so it not have worked out all that well.

Nasri, Once City entered the bidding the price i'd say went up another €10million. He would've being a good signing but he opted for money if you believed what you read at the time. Rodwell is not what we need. I actually think he was no.3 on the list but a few clubs started making moves for Phil Jones and SAF stepped in and signed him up.

If the midfield is not addressed in January or the summer then i don't know. I think it's time a few players were moved as well. The likes of Berbatov, Valencia, Park, Gibson and PIG. Pobba should not get alot more first team chances with Fletcher out or at least i hope so.

• Advertisement

actually, didnt fergie say last week we had 3 target, but unlikely we would go for them?

wonder if Basle and todays events change that or maybe fergie knew about fletcher when he said that.

actually, didnt fergie say last week we had 3 target, but unlikely we would go for them?

wonder if Basle and todays events change that or maybe fergie knew about fletcher when he said that.

Fletcher is a massive blow. It's the one position we have struggled in all season. Pogba surley has to get a chance now with Anderson and Fletcher missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

PHB wrote: »
    Lads, this isn't an out for a couple of months. This is an extended break from football, i.e. a temporary retirement. The temporary thing is what's up for debate, but I'd wager quite a bit of money we won't see him at all this season or the next. At best, we'd be seeing him report for pre-season at the beginning of the 13/14 season.

If anyone it'll be Gibson that gets more chances.

Anyway, looking at our PL fixtures over Christmas and directly afterwards, they are all very winnable. Thank God we don't have to play any of the top 6 with the injuries we have(except Newcastle, who I suspect will slide down the table now)

QPR v Man Utd

Fulham v Man Utd

Man Utd v Wigan

Man Utd v Blackburn

Newcastle v Man Utd

Man Utd v Bolton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Poor Fletch :(:(

May also explain why his form dipped since that magical season or two a couple of years backs. I really hope he gets back on his feet. Great pro - no nonsense and 100% effort every time.

But seriously, what would happen now if Carrick got injured??
    We would be screwed. SAF has to buy somebody surely if only to get some bodies / back-up in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Poor Fletch. One of my favourites and someone I always looked up to with my amateur 5-a-side game (the workhorse :D)
    I think it's time a few players were moved as well. The likes of Berbatov, Valencia, Park, Gibson and PIG. Pobba should not get alot more first team chances with Fletcher out or at least i hope so.

:eek:
    I know Berbs splits opinions and while I'd be sad to see him go I'd understand why but .. but Valencia?!! He has been one of our best players over the past 2 years and ok his form has dipped this season (a lot of which he spent at right back)
    Actually I'm lost for words here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

If the midfield is not addressed in January or the summer then i don't know. I think it's time a few players were moved as well. The likes of Berbatov, Valencia, Park, Gibson and PIG. Pobba should not get alot more first team chances with Fletcher out or at least i hope so.

Not sure on Park and Berba, but disagree about Valencia. When he's on form he's unstoppable, even though he's incredibly predictable. He showed his best form against Wovles on Saturday, imo, caused Ward(?) constant trouble and put in some very good crosses. He's the best crosser of the ball at United I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yeah, calling for Valencia's head after a couple of poor months is ludicrous. He's only gone 26 and was one of our best players at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah, calling for Valencia's head after a couple of poor months is ludicrous. He's only gone 26 and was one of our best players at the end of last season.

True,as one commentator said recently "he has to stop thinking and do what comes naturally,get to the byline & cross the ball in". He did this against Wolves and was virtually unplayable.
    Berba should go,sitting on the bench won't do him or the club any good.Park & Gibson not good enough.

I can see a couple of loan deals being done,Kaka,Krasic and even (God forbid) Mascherano could be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Sad loss to a great work horse with great attitude but a limited player.

We now have NO ball winner in midfield. Is this what we have come to? And people wonder why we are out of the Champions League.

You cannot get by in modern football at the high level without a ball winner in midfield.

We need one ASAP or we are in for a serious slide.

How much will we get for the lazy Bulgarian in Jan? or who is stupid enough to buy him? China? Russia?

baz2009 wrote: »
    Valencia. When he's on form he's unstoppable, even though he's incredibly predictable. He showed his best form against Wovles on Saturday, imo, caused Ward(?) constant trouble and put in some very good crosses. He's the best crosser of the ball at United I think.

In fair Wolves are pretty bad, one of the worst teams i've seen this season. Valencia is great when on form but he is just to predictable. If he's not getting the better of the full back he goes missing imo during games. Also i dont think i've seen him ever use his left foot. Maybe getting rid is a bit OT, just venting again.
    Blatter wrote: »

I would go as far to say he was our best player last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

NickDrake wrote: »
    Sad loss to a great work horse with great attitude but a limited player.

We now have NO ball winner in midfield. Is this what we have come to? And people wonder why we are out of the Champions League.

You cannot get by in modern football at the high level without a ball winner in midfield.

We need one ASAP or we are in for a serious slide.

How much will we get for the lazy Bulgarian in Jan? or who is stupid enough to buy him? China? Russia?
    Carrick wins the ball plenty.

Liam O wrote: »

Dear god

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dear god
    Yes my son?

Yes my son?

He holds up the ball and blocks people off and a decent passer. He is not a ball winner.

He is not that type of player. surely you can see that. He needs someone alog side him. He is neither really creative nor destructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liam O wrote: »

How to play like Carrick http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/technique/the-holding-role-cut-the-supply-line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He holds up the ball and blocks people off and a decent passer. He is not a ball winner.

He is not that type of player. surely you can see that. He needs someone alog side him. He is neither really creative nor destructive.
    yeah we'll just ignore the stats and go by what you say...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The thing is Nasri is practically second choice at City. Silva starts every big game for them and Nasri usually comes on late.

Silva is the best player in the league at playing between the lines and why we didn't go for him is a mystery. We are UTD afterall, only the best of the best will do. We are trying to replace Scholes so it has to be something special.

I was never keen on Nasri (his attitude bugs me) and would have Silva and Modric ahead of him all day long.

We should have gotten Silva and added Sneijder later. We did try with Ozil and Modric but the players and their respective clubs had other ideas, fair enough but Nasri was what was left imo .

We should try get Sneijder, Tiote, a right back (Clyne seems to have been targeted) and Martinez too if possible in January. Move Jones or Smalling to CB and play a new look midfield. Then we would be a force to reckoned with for the next three to four seasons against the big european teams.

We are now trying to replace Scholes, Fletcher and add cover. Fergie has not done well in the transfer markets recently when it comes to dealing with the big name players and clubs. Up and comers yes. Established names, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Barcas Thiago was our 3rd choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We are now trying to replace Scholes, Fletcher and add cover. Fergie has not done well in the transfer markets recently when it comes to dealing with the big name players and clubs. Up and comers yes. Established names, not so much.

The Glazers may have something to do with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I couldn't understand why Flecth wasn't getting back to the great form he had a couple of seasons ago, when he missed out on the CL Final. Unfortunately it now all makes sense :(. You wonder how much more bad luck will come our way?

greendom wrote: »
    The Glazers may have something to do with this.

in what way?

fergie spent 50million this year and didnt address our problem area. by all account, he had another 30million to spend also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

You wonder how much more shít can get dumped on us?

Pun intended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Would ye guys take barcas Thiago on loan for the rest of the season even if he definitely had to go back at the seasons end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Would ye guys take barcas Thiago on loan for the rest of the season even if he definitely had to go back at the seasons end?

You aren't getting Thiago. Why would Barca loan him to you? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if we had no chance of keeping him I would be against it, but I would love to see him at United. fantastic player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement